Training for the worst day of your life / personal self defense

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad someone finally raised the question about "worst day". As someone who has lived through attempted murder, and other crimes, I was going to ask crofter if she or someone she knew had been impacted by violent crime. Might not be my business...

Women are more at risk for harm by partners and people they know than strangers. I've never been harmed by a stranger, but I could curl your hair about people I knew.

I was at my physical best, 125 lbs, benching 175, running regularly,at 20. Didn't stop being sexually assaulted in my own kitchen by someone I knew while cooking breakfast and there was nowhere to run in my tiny apartment.

Despite what I've been through, I don't have a lot of fear; maybe because I feel I've had more than my share of it?

As for training, I work out regularly, mainly isometric, with some weights. I walk over four miles a day on average, covering 736 miles since February of this year. I'm primarily **** (#Q- your doctor needs to update his education!)
In less than a year I've gone from having high blood pressure, diabetic, and overweight, to 15 lbs from goal (still too fluffy!) - all from diet and exercise, plus no longer raising a baby psychopath. Stress will kill you!

I walked/hiked over 30 miles last week, 207 minutes of exercise, and the equivalent of 20 flights of stairs.

I have some bad habits still, which I indulge in moderation (and, once in a while, to excess, lol)

Running, which I used to do 3 miles a day, is out of the picture. Blew out my knee, first in raquetball in my thirties, then a slide on wet tile a few years later. I hike with a brace if it's any distance. But I could still out sprint the ten year old, much to his surprise, lol. Just don't ask me to talk immediately afterwards 0_0

I don't fear strangers; I fear sometimes my ability to read those I allow close to me. But I'm working on that.

SheketEchad said:
ask crofter if she or someone she knew had been impacted by violent crime. 
I'm a survivor. And as I stated someplace on here, I fear and respect animals more due to they are faster and hungrier than the two leggeds. In my experience survivors develop a sense of the impending that can serve you well if you listen to it. Know when it is time to go. 

Also learn to recognize "the interview" by the attacker. Animals do this too, and may be silent. This is when they are sizing you up before the attack starts. Look tough and prepare to fight. Or flee. Or succesfully deploy bear spray now.
Free advice.  -crofter

SheketEchad said:
" I walked/hiked over 30 miles last week, 207 minutes of exercise, and the equivalent of 20 flights...."
Awesome week SheketEchad! And congrats on the weight loss and health gains!

We do appreciate all survivor stories, and I am sure there are many survivors on this bus. Live strong, and keep training.  -crofter

(#Q- your doctor needs to update his education!),...

I think I've set a record on this forum for being ain't right, as well as for #of deleted posts. The count for each must be at least 50 by now. I suspect different people execute their **** diets a little differently, in terms of the actual percentage of carbs and amount of "bad" fats. Atkins is the extreme form, whereas too many carbs definitely make people overweight. For my part, I am trying to adjust to a better balanced diet, changing the types of carbs, meaning less grains, rice, starches, and pasta, and more basic veggies. Less salty foods, more spices and antioxidants. I figure **** is good short term for losing weight, but am aiming for more of a balanced Mediterranean style diet in the long term.

Worst day tally: (1) health and disease issues, (2) accidents, especially on the highways, (3) bad people, have to consider both bad strangers and bad acquaintances. A lot to think about.

Qxxx said:
..."aiming for more of a balanced Mediterranean style diet in the long term.

Worst day tally: (1) health and disease issues, (2) accidents, especially on the highways, (3) bad people, have to consider both bad strangers and bad acquaintances. A lot to think about."
Live strong and keep training, Qxxx. Kudos on the diet insights, also I am working on disconnecting food and emotions. I hate that there are bad people, and for decades did not believe this.  -crofter

Minor objections -- isometrics are terrible for strength. They are better for endurance. Mostly a waste or time, as almost anything else is time better spent. Situational prescription only. There are very few activities in the real world that include danger in which there is a need to hold a moderate amount of tension for an extended period. Great benefits come from the opposite -- low tension for long periods or high tension for short.

Also, regarding "the interview" -- some people are spoiling for a fight, or an excuse for one. Looking tough may put you in the position of having to prove it. Better to look indeterminate, someone not easy to figure out instantly. Crooks and nuts are almost overwhelmingly lazy mentally, even if they are sometimes keen psychologically .. at least in short bursts. Give them something to think about, and they may opt out. Give them a challenge, and they may take it. It is almost always better to chart the middle ground. Disappearing in plain view is almost always better than standing out.

While there is always the odd person spoiling for a fight or looking for a challenge, criminals seek an easy target.

They are looking for the most gain with the least effort. Even a juicy target that seems difficult or challenging is often dismissed for the easy mark.

I prefer free weights for the best results in the shortest amount of time. Isometrics done properly is vastly superior to nothing, they have some use for fitness. That being said, muscle fitness alone is not as effective without superb cardio conditioning.

The ability to sprint 200 yards hard and out distance any would be attackers is invaluable. Then retaining enough energy to defend yourself (not being completely spent) will most likely save your bacon.

badmotorscooter said:
While there is always the odd person spoiling for a fight or looking for a challenge, criminals seek an easy target.

They are looking for the most gain with the least effort.  Even a juicy target that seems difficult or challenging is often dismissed for the easy mark.
I remember reading about victimhood a few months ago, and they interviewed some guys in prison. The common theme was, they largely went for the "easy marks" as indicated.

Since I have no room in the van for weights, isometrics will have to suffice. I use for core strengthening mostly. Besides, I tote three 48 lb water cans, a fifty lb generator, wrangle six 25 lb solar panels hither and yon and all sorts of stuff around regularly. While not a routine per se, I do work with weights, lol :)

New Amazon wish list item: portable gym that folds into a backpacking sized item

:) :)

There is a backpack system that uses water bladders to adjust weight. Plenty of very robust handles and straps for multiple exercises and uses.

There are several people improvising with canned goods and other household items to get a good workout just look around. I had a friend that couldn't afford a gym membership so he took a job unloading concrete blocks and got paid to work out! LOL!!!

bullfrog said:
unloading concrete blocks and got paid to work out! LOL!!!
Bricks / blocks are a great workout and slso toughen up your hands. Abandoned residential areas often have bricks lying around from collapsed chimneys. Old kilns in mining areas could have some toxins on the bricks however due to mining processes.
Checking in for the week, had a couple of wimpy days but still made 22 miles and workouts on 6 days. I am getting the most out of free weights the hardest being kettle bells. And I am doing the 'baby bells.' Doing planks using a stability ball is a good core workout for me.  -crofter

Not mentioned in most core workout regimens, sprinting is a great core workout and terrific for agility and balance. Of course good for hip flexion, glutes, hamstrings and quads.

I really don't like exercise, but I like punching and kicking things for some reason. So I take Muay Thai and self defense classes. I don't travel much, I have two stationary jobs (one full-time in an office, one on the weekends in a bakery) so I have a membership at a local MMA gym. I love it, the classes are a little expensive but worth it. The Muay Thai training would probably not help that much in a self-defense situation (although I DO know how to punch straight, and throw a basic roundhouse kick), but the self-defense training would probably save my hide. I've never been in a scary situation or had to defend myself, hopefully never will, but if it does happen I'm better off now than I was a year ago.

Any martial arts training including Muay Thai is excellent excercise and valuable for discipline, self confidence and self defense. It can be great for philosophy and spirituality too, depending on how deeply you study and embrace the lifestyle.

110 yards up a slight incline. The terrain is grass and gravel, not too rough but not too smooth.

3 - 5 times, before an ab workout. This works out the tendons and muscles in a way you just can't hit with squats, lunges, leg presses or any other leg excersise.

It also benefits your core, builds agility and balance. It is a fantastic cardio too, always leaves me gasping for air, even though I run 2.25 miles in about 15 1/2 minutes (just under a 7 minute mile pace).

Just yesterday, I cut 2 long bed pickup truck loads of firewood, (in 18" lengths), and loaded/unloaded it all in one day by myself. At 54, with all of my health ailments, I can still lay it down when needed....trying to beat the rain/60 mph winds we had today.

A day of hard physical labor is one of the best workouts ever! As a bonus you get actual work done too!

My neighbor gets a laugh because I bring cut wood home to split with a maul then give it away as I don't burn wood. I feel good while I'm splitting it and when I give it away which is twice good!