Training for the worst day of your life / personal self defense

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crofter

Reaction score
This is a self defense / personal safety thread that focuses on training - any discipline the writer chooses, and return posters should give an accountability of time spent that week, day, year, and what results they are experiencing in their chosen discipline. Should relate to a real world response that the writer is comfortable, even instinctive at doing on the worst day of their life. I have related an incident example, but not necessary to relate an incident.

If your discipline involves accuracy or marksmanship you can talk about your training result, but no conversation about any weapon including guns is tolerated in this thread, and no statistics about the effectiveness or hazards of your chosen discipline will be tolerated. This thread is to help you in your training to be accountable to yourself and share what has worked for you.  

So that is my format. HDR thinks this is the kind of thread we could do on here without going negative and has agreed to moderate it personally and everybody might feel more accountable about staying out of politics, viewpoints, statistics, and opinions. You are only allowed to post statistics about building muscle mass due to when you get into trying to build muscle mass on a female frame, there are some tricks to it.    ~crofter

[size=small]Real life example:[/size]
[size=small]My family has a history of being good runners. I trained in a running sport in high school. A long long time ago, while in a state park I was under immediate threat of armed assault by multiple assailants and ran away. I was running as hard and fast as I could and tripped and fell hard. My friend dragged me until I could get my feet under me and run some more. We made it to the car, got in and locked the doors.[/size]

[size=small]Survival Skills used: running, going with a buddy, situational awareness, door locks[/size]

[size=small]Hours spent training this week: 0 hours training last week, my bad!! A little time , less than an hour on buddy system and situational awareness, but I am not counting that this week. My gym is pinging me to show up, maybe I better go there now. [/size]

[size=small]~crofter[/size]

"no conversation about any weapon .... You are only allowed to post statistics about building muscle mass..."

First a bit of background: There have been a lot of threads on every sort of protective measure. To me, one of the best is grabbing the cell phone, taking a picture of someone suspect, and also calling someone or else pretending to do so. You can do this while running away, but best do so before the suspects get too close. Make it obvious what you're doing.

Secondly: I don't know about running away in any case, as a lot of people here are older and have some mobility issues.

However, when I'm in the desert, I walk for about 1 1/2 hours every morning. It's low impact exercise and helps keep you mobile. Also hiking up hills is good if you can manage it. Even if having some mobility problems, you can use a couple of hiking poles to cushion the knees, which is what I do.

Awesome plan, the electronic version of the buddy system and building muscle mass and stamina by daily hikes.    -crofter

The RadMini electric bicycle has really helped with recovery from knee surgery for my neighbor as you can start getting movement without the load by using the petal assist. It also helped him before surgery to lose some weight. Haven't seen him running yet but he can get away fast on the bike!

crofter said:
Awesome plan, the electronic version of the buddy system and building muscle mass and stamina by daily hikes.    -crofter
When you get down to Quartzsite, you can hike those hills seen in the Popeye's Point picture. BTW, I mentioned Rainbow Acres south of there on the other thread. Interestingly it's the only place where I saw more that a single person or two out walking in the desert. One day I walked over there from Roadrunner BLM area, and there were 20 or 30 Rainbow people out stretching their legs. There are also hills that can be walked behind the boondocking area west of Parker on Hwy 62, and on both sides of Craggy Wash in Lake Havasu. 

Makes you want to head south to AZ, doesn't it. Your Dane would love it. What's needed is a Quartzsite Rambling Society.

bullfrog said:
The RadMini electric bicycle has really helped with recovery from knee surgery for my neighbor as you can start getting movement without the load by using the petal assist.  It also helped him before surgery to lose some weight.  Haven't seen him running yet but he can get away fast on the bike!
I would guess practicing survival skills of situational awareness and building some muscle as well as balance and confidence through riding. Not enough can be said for building up your confidence, and how a confident self image keeps a person from becoming a target.   -crofter

Qxxx said:
When you get down to Quartzsite, you can hike those hills seen in the Popeye's Point picture. 
Sounds awesome! I did have ro give the Dane back at the end of dogsitting. She still loves me though, cos I'm a carnivore. Dogs know so many things through their sense of smell, but not humans.    -crofter

I'd recommend getting a German Shepherd. Good companion and they love to hike. People are terrified of them. Many years ago a girlfriend had one. It had a kink in its neck, so it would look at people a bit "sideways", and they were terrified. So, just train your dog to look at strangers a bit "sideways", and they'll leave you alone. Meanwhile, you're uploading their picture to the Cloud, and dialing a friend. Plus of course your highly trained calves are screaming "flight". Got it covered 4 ways.

I do have a CCW, but we won't talk about the obvious choice. My other EDCs (every day carry items) include a 3 place COHIBA leather cigar holder https://picclick.com/COHIBA-Brown-Genuine-Leather-Cigar-Holder-Case-3-263871612898.html that holds the following items in my pocket;

-9" TAC FORCE spring assisted folding knife
-Powerful STREAMLIGHT LED flashlight.
-STEALTH ANGEL tactical pen

These items fit perfectly in the cigar holder, which helps protect them in my jeans pocket. I can pull any one of these items out with one hand while not looking at it, or searching. You would be surprised how many times you need these items in day to day situations...let alone an emergency.

Although nothing beats your situational awareness in staying out of tight spots.

-put your damn cell phone away
-keep the ear buds out of your ears
-walk with authority, not slouched over
-keep your head on a swivel, not looking at the ground in front of you
-take a friend/buddy
-don't fret over muscle mass

ckelly78z said:
I do have a CCW, but we won't talk about the obvious choice. My other EDCs (every day carry items) include a 3 place COHIBA leather cigar holder https://picclick.com/COHIBA-Brown-Genuine-Leather-Cigar-Holder-Case-3-263871612898.html that holds the following items in my pocket;

-9" TAC FORCE spring assisted folding knife
-Powerful STREAMLIGHT LED flashlight.
-STEALTH ANGEL tactical pen
Part of your training must include building muscle due to carrying all that gear every day, that's training without trying. As well as putting on some miles, let us know how you are maintaining speed and accuracy as well as upper body and grip strength. Do you do dry practice drill training regularly? Frontsight has a video dry practice trainer that costs $1 if you are a member.  Being accountable for dry practice could be a personal goal, but don't forget cardiovascular fitness training so you don't fall over on your worst day. Best.   -crofter

ckelly78z said:
Although nothing beats your situational awareness in staying out of tight spots.

-put your damn cell phone away
-keep the ear buds out of your ears
-walk with authority, not slouched over
-keep your head on a swivel, not looking at the ground in front of you
-take a friend/buddy
-don't fret over muscle mass
Good to practice these, all the time.   -crofter

There are many "don't be a victim" websites that say, "don't have your nose glued to your cell phone". A lost message in today's society??? I once saw a girl walking across a crosswalk so intent on texting she didn't see the car bearing down on her at 45 MPH. Luckily it just missed smashing her little "smart" phone to bits.

"... no conversation about any weapon including guns is tolerated in this thread  "

Too bad you can't have even one thread around here earmarked as "no weapons" without weapons showing up.

Plus I think personal fitness preparedness may be a lost art. My observation is that most people in the boonies are simply living in their RVs just like they live at home. Either you exercise or you don't.

Qxxx said:
 Either you exercise or you don't.
My doc says I will live longer if I belong to a gym. I joined a gym, but had to hire a trainer to motivate me to go there. The trainer is worth his weight in gold. 
I also got some better tasting protein powder www.Orgain.com
10g of protein and 5 g of fat per scoop goes with **** diet (what I eat).
I tried Vega One organic plant based but not a good tasting supplement. Vega delivers 20g protein 5g fat and 10g carbs plus other vitamins and probiotics. Anyone have a good tasting recepie using the Vega supplement? -crofter

I admire your will power for doing things hard, but I'm far too old for vegan, ****, and personal trainers. Happy with easy walks anymore. No more 14ers for this puppy. Knees are too shot to run away, lol. I think most people here prefer a weapon to running.

I did mention **** to my doc a year ago and he about had a stroke. Too much like the old Atkins diet. I am leery of vegan or vegetarian, as I just don't trust the chemicals they spray onto crops, like with soy as you mentioned elsewhere. Of course, you get hormones with meats, so that's not so great either. So what to eat anymore? I figure half and half, meat and veggies, so you're not getting overloads of the bad stuff on either side. The biggest change I've made over the past year is to lessen the amount of grains, rice, and pasta (carbs) and increase the amounts of basic veggies, like onions, peppers, green beans, asparagus, etc. in my cooking. Improve the lipid scores.

So, I guess it's more of try to stay healthy and hope the bad guys don't come.

crofter said:
better tasting protein powder www.Orgain.com
10g of protein and 5 g of fat per scoop
This is made out of grass fed cows. I had hot chocolste last nite with this and a splash of canned milk and it was awesome. I always run out of food so having this kind of stuff in the van is essential, besides being part of current training plan.   -crofter

Then train, train, train to improve speed, accuracy. And don't forget to move after you shoot. The bad guy looks for you where the shot came from, not where you are now. 
If you have this discipline, you should be doing weights and upper body conditioning. Arms out with your grip engaged, at least a couple pounds of weight, or just do the dry practice drills. But this is your goal not mine. So you decide what is instinctive for you. 
I have not heard from anyone doing tai chi or other empty hand discipline. I tried karate but is not instinctive for me. Maybe I did not practice enough.
The dietary stuff you are working on is awesome. Reflecting on your diet can take you in a more healthy direction, and helps you turn down fast food more often.    -crofter

Please momma, don't make me stop eating junk food!! My favorite breakfast when on the road is Sausage, Egg, and Cheese McGriddle at the Mac place.