**** Lifestyle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different people have different takes on fiber and different experiences.  I do look at net carbs, and I find its the simple carbs that mess with me.  I will eat a few carbs depending on activity level, but usually squash, yams, or something with more fiber than simple potatoes or rice.  My total net carbs are always under 50 a day, and often much lower.  For me, I can tolerate up to about 100 net carbs on a single day, but anything over that, or if I eat carbs on successive days and I'll get sick.  Fiber can have a positive effect on helping waste to move along in the digestive tract, it fills us up and promotes satiety without adding any nutritional value.  Eating crude fiber along with a carb will slow digestion of the carb, essentially producing a lower glycemic response, which is what we want.  I also take FOS fiber in my morning coffee.  Our gut bacteria feed on certain types of fiber that we can't digest.  Although FOS gives us no nutritional value, our good intestinal flora thrive on it and crowd out the bad bugs to improve our gut health.  FOS is a pre-biotic and it was a real game changer for me.  I definitely feel better and it helped to change my chemistry to have less hunger signal and less cravings for carbs.  I find my stomach is more settled, less gas and bloating, and much more resilient if I do eat bad stuff like artificial sweeteners, lectins, or alcohol.  FOS helps boost bifido bacteria and that also helps with elimination when eating a lot of protein.

badmotorscooter said:
When you eat a lot of carbs your insulin levels should increase and take care of your blood sugar levels. 

This is no solution.  It's the problem, then the problem multiplied by itself.

crofter said:
it is great to not have sugar cravings any more, which I had the entire time I was eating that high carb organic food. Doing the **** diet has stopped cravings, I don't even want that stuff any more.  So far it's working - I'm still here. ~crofter
good post.

key is if a person doesn't do real low carb, never experienced the true health of eating like this and a life without sugar they just will never get it at all.  You can't explain it to others that don't need this type of living.  So many truly do fine on moderation eating, eating it all and doing great....unless they are people like me they have no clue what nutrition I require to make life work LOL  So one reason I don't chat about it much.  Too many people come in and say that they know how I should eat....haha...yea right LOL but I also say back that if they ever 'really tried ****/or into zero carb' then they would know thru experience.

You keep rocking it out if ya feel wonderful.  For me my carnivore ways are just what I need.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...9C56BB739A93D90236FE9C56BB739A93D&FORM=WRVORC

this is good one on fiber

I been over 2 years eating meat/seafood and some dairy only.  My gut is better than it ever was or will be LOL  Fiber is never needed.   But the thing is some swear they do so well how they eat.  I get it, they do.  But for many fiber is the worst thing you can have cause it is never needed by the body but many won't ever go into my type of lifestyle.  They want other food in their lives and I get it, but to say one must have fiber when the body never requires it in true science gets me irked.  Hey everyone should eat up the foods they want in their lives.  I absolutely agree with just that.   But to say something is important to the body when it isn't is the kind of things that drives me nuts out on the internet.  So much bad info out there for sure.

Eating as one wants in their lives, find some beliefs about the foods they eat being healthy etc will happen and more, tons of crazy info out there but in the end we all eat as we want :) not a darn thing wrong with that.

Dingfelder said:
This is no solution.  It's the problem, then the problem multiplied by itself.

It's not a natural function of the body? Then what is the function of insulin?

According to scientists insulin is not just for controlling glucose levels in the bloodstream.

It opens up the cells in the body to use glucose as an energy source. This is a natural process and you cannot survive without insulin. This is what your body is designed to do.

Why would one try to diminish the purpose of insulin and try to avoid using glycogen all together? The human metabolism was made to burn energy both ways. If we should only use fat to create energy, why can the body utilize carbs easily and then produce insulin to control blood sugar? Why does nature use this same process in most mammals and animals?

badmotorscooter said:
 . . .
When you eat a lot of carbs your insulin levels should increase and take care of your blood sugar levels . . .

Look up insulin resistance.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Look up insulin resistance.

OK, what I read specifies exercise, weight loss, and diet for reversing insulin resistance. The diet described was fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, fish, legumes, beans and lean proteins. Am I missing something? That doesn't exactly describe a low carb diet...

Ahhh also remember we do not need a lot of insulin or sugar running around our body.

In truth the ketogenic lifestyle is a way more theory based survival of the earliest humans. Most did not 'graze' or sure did not 'farm agriculture' but they did eat some plants when meat was not available.

Protein and fat IS ALL the physical body needs for survival. It needs not 1 single carb or plant product ever.

So if the body only requires fat and protein to do all its' functions, then it is a normal summarization (and this is based on internet studies from early man etc.) that we were hunters. Meat eaters cause it gave us everything. Every single thing we need for body function.

Plant/fruit material was the back up survival method for the body. We ARE NOW considered glucouse burning people when in truth we probably were not and we were ketogenic to start.

When we switched from hunting as our main food, since animals were in abundance but seasonal plants and fruits were not, we civilized ourselves and went to agriculture. Ahhh, then it got ruined LOL Turned to corn, wheat and more for survival. Turned to science made frankenfood with tons of sugar and chemicals....and from there...woof we went way bad I think LOL

so.....that is kinda why insulin is just a function in the body. Insulin has its small function but in todays sugar based lifestyle it is now so out of whack in our bodies....well the obesity and diabetes running rampant sure shows that.

just love chatting this stuff.....fun to talk about it for me. I lvoe this stuff LOL

badmotorscooter
OK, what I read specifies exercise, weight loss, and diet for reversing insulin resistance. The diet described was fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, fish, legumes, beans and lean proteins. Am I missing something? That doesn't exactly describe a low carb diet...

There are several youtube videos that explain it truthfully, the description that you posted couldn't be farther from the truth.
The people that push that narrative should be put in jail. We have been lied to for a long time, people are finally being educated to the truth.

ssminnow said:
The people that push that narrative should be put in jail. We have been lied to for a long time, people are finally being educated to the truth.
boy oh boy this is so true!!  People are finally seeing it.  Kids will now be grown up with better nutritional information cause the next generations are fully understanding and many are changing to a more **** based lifestyle. **** knowledge is becoming more mainstream and I love that.

The full truth of sugar and frankenfood in this society is just truly criminal.  I couldn't agree more! But I see more change happening so that is a good thing :)

ssminnow said:

Good find, ssminnow. What I found most interesting is the fact that fructose is broken down "only" in the liver, which can be overloaded and result in serious problems. And since so much high-fructose corn syrup is used in foods today, this is a catastrophic situation. 

Followup info: high triglycerides, LDL, BP, free radicals, etc.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/abundance-of-fructose-not-good-for-the-liver-heart

I also wonder ... I lot of food labels simply say contains "sugar", but how do they define it? Just glucose alone, just corn syrup, or a combination? Truth in advertising?

That video was very informative, I was familiar with how the insulin/glucose/sugar process works, but that simplifies it for everyone to grasp.

As I posted earlier, a lot of sugar intake (specifically processed sugar and high fructose corn syrup is toxic), but some is unavoidable if you eat fruits, vegetables and other carbs.. Did you see how he specifically pointed out that some cultures who eat a lot of rice and potatoes and other big carbs are not insulin resistant?

The insulin resistant issue is huge in America. Why? I think the problem is not enough exercise and too much processed sugar. Doing this and eating lots of carbs compounds the problem. A low carb diet will help alleviate the issue, but so would plenty of exercise and reducing sugar, the real cause.

I was hanging out with a friend for a couple of weeks. They had been diabetic at one point and by watching sugar intake and plenty of exercise the problem was cured, no more diabetes! They monitored their glucose level with a blood analyzer and checked mine repeatedly, fasting and an after meals. Completely normal. Had a check up a few months ago, A1C and glucose levels normal.

OK, are you ready for this? I eat 250 grams of carbohydrates every single day! 125 grams of protein and about 90 grams of fat. My diet is fairly strict and I do not eat meat, fish or chicken. My waistline is 31" and you can still see my abs.
How is this possible you might ask? According to the **** philosophy this can't be possible or healthy...

Exercise!!! Plain and simple, it all boils down to fitness and a healthy metabolism. Bicycle rides 3 times a week, running 3 times a week, and weight lifting 5 days a week. Wait, who has the time to invest in all this? My workouts are under 30 minutes and my bike riding and running are 15 - 20 minutes. All very intense and vigorous, only 4 to 4.5 hours a week total. I can easily gain or lose weight by adding or subtracting a few calories everyday. I practice intermittent fasting and reach ketogenesis every single day (yes, this is possible).

Low carbs is not the only way to burn fat and control blood sugar and insulin along with avoiding insulin resistance.
It's a matter of simple math, burn the carbs you intake with physical activity. You can either exercise and maintain a healthy metabolism to do this, or cut way back on carbs and risk not having a balanced diet.

I can see if one had serious physical limitations, excercise could be difficult and lowering carb intake might be the only option. But just being old or having a few aches and pains is no excuse for not staying fit, it doesn't stop me...

Just my philosophy on the whole thing, maybe not right for everyone, but works for me and I have a ton of energy. Just like someone mentioned people are ready to dismiss a full **** regimen without trying it, who is willing to maintain a strong metabolism and high fitness level that includes eating lots of carbs? How would that feel?

C'mon low carb dieters, grab your bicycle or running shorts and just try to run me down...

BMS, not many people in the typical age group on this forum could ever handle your workout regimen. That's obvious from crofter's thread. If you were to stop that level of workout, you'd have to immediately make truly massive changes to your high carb diet.

Yes Q, that's correct. On the few occasions when my fitness regimen has been interrupted, I immediately cut back on calories (mostly carbs).

With god's help I wiil keep this intensity up until I am no longer around. Jack LaLanne did!

Curiously I don't really view my fitness routine as intense, merely adequate for maintaining...

@badmotorscooter "C'mon low carb dieters, grab your bicycle or running shorts and just try to run me down..."

Too much fun... I'd take you up on that offer!  My knees are total crap so I don't run but I do LOVE to ride my bike.  So lets roll out with plain water only, no carb powder, gels, or snacks, and then lets talk after maybe 60+ miles... unless you want to go farther or climb some hills.  One big reason I went low-carb was to improve my cycling performance, and the effect was dramatic.  I doubled my wattage and endurance immediately after getting away from carbs, and it only gets better.  I do still eat some carbs, but very low, and just like you it depends on my activity.  I discovered on about day 3 of a 7-day ride that I needed to add back some carbs, and that was mostly rice and potatoes.  But that was successive days of long rides and I was burning 5000+ calories a day and I likely depleted my glycogen.  About two months ago I rode 118 miles with some friends to Union Station in downtown Los Angeles and took the train back.  I had to tow my vegetarian friends the last 60 miles into headwinds... I did that on a **** coffee, an epic bar, a hamburger, and lots of water.

There's nothing wrong with eating a carb-based diet, unless it includes a lot of simple sugars that cause insulin dump.  Insulin is needed even for low-carb folks, but primarily it's a fat storage mechanism to turn carbs into fat.  Low glycemic is what most of the science points to for everyone.  The healthy 'carb-eaters' I know are vegetarian or vegan and that works well for them...  The difference I see is little to no fat, but they do get lots of dietary fiber from veggies, and that can be healthy too.  Some of the new science I've read also suggests genetic differences may influence the best dietary regime for an individual.  It's not a one-size fits all deal...  Ultimately, the lessons I've learned are to eat what your body needs, when it needs it...

Lol! I think I met my match on bicycling. I've done 100 miles at a time, but did chow down some calories. My normal bike riding work out for me is 15 - 20 minutes at a brisk pace with some steep hills. Got a Motobecane 3 speed and stand up in second gear on all hills. Occasionally I'll ride into town which is about 25 miles round trip, but I usually keep a brisk pace and it's uphill on the way home. My running is 2.25 miles in 15 1/2 minutes. Not very long endurance wise, but I've tested myself by slowing down a little and making 8 miles in one hour.

To be honest marathon riding and running is not what I train for and I don't think I'm very good at it...
But I can crank out a 9 minute mile and a half even though it makes me feel like I might be dying!

Would you guys please take yer **ssing contest over to crofter's thread. Either that or trade knees, hip, and shoulders with me.This thread is more for people trying to maintain some semblance of normal sanity. Or at least "**** Lifestyle" relevant info.

Beauty of low carb means you never HAVE to exercise at all. That is only needed when one eats an overload of carbs and has to do 'something, anything' to keep the lbs. off. Forced to do whatever it takes to stay in balance eating up those nasty carbs.

With low carb, you move and do things like hike, bike, swim, walk and more cause you have energy to do just that.
Your energy thru your food makes you want to move move and be active. Your energy skyrockets on low carb. The carby slug lifestyle means you have to force yourself to move move when you might not want to. People must rely on exercise as a requirement to live a carby lifestyle... when in truth, it doesn't have to be that way. Go into low carb and you find life balances out and you move the body and get all those benefits because you are so energized. Stay in that higher carb range eating and one must be forced to move or the lbs pack back on.

I have to say the LC way is the way to go :) But it is proven in science fact that carbs offer your body nothing. Nada. You don't require 1 carb for physical survival. So if that is true, why load up on them? It is only because people want to keep and eat certain foods in their lives. Hey I get that :) Going into that very low carb lifestyle is never for everyone and heading into the carnivore lifestyle I lead is what most people could never handle LOL

But **** plans, lower range carb plans, and carnivore plans are where the health benefits are. No doubt about it for me on that one.

My carbs help fuel my physical fitness regimen. My physical fitness is not work that must be done to burn off high carbs...

My diet is strict and I don't eat what tickles my fancy.

If and when I am unable to maintain my physical fitness activities I will make adjustments to my diet.

Eating 250 grams of carbs a day must mean I have low/fluctuating levels of energy and feel sluggish?

OK then, I must like feeling bad... Because only a low carb diet can make one feel good. The science community in all their wisdom must be correct when assuming carbs (a natural part of a hunter/gatherers diet) are worthless.

We can just wait a few years until the science community flip flops yet again and claims some other diet is healthy...

Gotta go now, gonna make a huge vegetable smoothie loaded with carbs that is bad for me...

These discussions are just like life in general anymore. Everyone pushing out to extremes, politics and diet and whatever.

No one listens to moderate, middle of the road people about anything anymore. All this flip-flopping that BMS mentions means that, after a while, people start to recognize problems with one-sided -isms, on all sides. "Moderation in all things" seems to have died with the ancient Greek philosophers.