Training for the worst day of your life / personal self defense

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living on the road I have found the best weight training to be the kettle bell. You can carry just one for all exercises. My favorite being the Turkish getup.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Qxxx said:
Please momma, don't make me stop eating junk food!! My favorite breakfast when on the road is Sausage, Egg, and Cheese McGriddle at the Mac place.
Now there's a readily available protein source.  -crofter

joeyverge said:
Living on the road I have found the best weight training to be the kettle bell. You can carry just one for all exercises. My favorite being the Turkish getup.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Had to google it
https://www.google.com/search?q=ket...rome..69i57.8292j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
That looks like a workout!

9 Benefits of the Turkish Get-Up
If you break down the movement and do it correctly, you will see it has much to offer:
a primitive rolling pattern,
unilateral development,
a lunge pattern,
an overhead hold,
two hip hinges,
glute activation,
core recruitment,
improved leg drive, and
rotator cuff stabilization.

from https://life.spartan.com/post/turkish-get-up

~crofter

Nice, easy apparatus to take along when camping and boondocking. For real hard-core, you can get the 100# device.

If you play the odds, a lot more people die in the outdoors by getting caught in critical survival situations than get shot by bad guys. Which is why I even have the tiny survival kit in my hiking pack.

The old joke in Colorado was about eastern lawyers coming to Rocky Mtn NP, overdoing it in the mountains, and then calling the rangers to send a helicopter.

Qxxx said:
more people die in the outdoors by getting caught in critical survival situations than get shot by bad guys.
And you can always survive that gunshot wound you know. I liked that stryker firestarter in the link from Stealth Angel. Starts in the rain how about that. I don't usually have a fire, but to warm up you might need a hot drink or to dry clothing.    ~crofter

The best self defense is to work on developing "street smarts" to keep yourself out of hazardous situations.

Well crofter, you got me to checking on what I actually put into the mini survival kit in my hiking pack. Weighs 14.6 oz, a bit more than I realized. Many items bought at Walmart in the camping dept.

- Coleman mylar emergency blanket
- Coleman disposable emergency poncho
- bandaids, antiseptic wipes, small bar of soap, small piece of mirror
- blue nitrile gloves
- swiss army knife
- compass, whistle combo
- matches in waterproof case
- small tube with ibuprofen and antihistamines
- small tactical flashlight (fenix PD22)
- 7"x3"x2" pouch

Hmm, I should add some tweezers.

Just some statistics on search and rescue, and accidents in the elderly, mostly falls. Any sort of physical training will help the latter group..

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/2019/04/hikers-survival-tips/
"Across all U.S. national parks from 2004-2014, day hikers comprised 42 percent of the 46,609 search and rescue cases, almost four times the amount of the next closest group, overnight backpackers at 13 percent".

https://nypost.com/2018/06/21/park-service-spent-71000-hours-rescuing-visitors-last-year/
"Nationwide, such operations involved more than 71,000 work hours for park service employees and an additional 12,300 work hours for non-employees...
Across the national park system 159 fatalities were reported last year, accounting for 5.5 percent of total SAR incidents".

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0401/p2159.html
"Falls are the leading cause of injury-related visits to emergency departments in the United States and the primary etiology of accidental deaths in persons over the age of 65 years. The mortality rate for falls increases dramatically with age in both sexes and in all racial and ethnic groups, with falls accounting for 70 percent of accidental deaths in persons 75 years of age and older. Falls can be markers of poor health and declining function, and they are often associated with significant morbidity. More than 90 percent of hip fractures occur as a result of falls, with most of these fractures occurring in persons over 70 years of age".

Qxxx said:
mostly falls. Any sort of physical training will help 
Agreed, and for you physically fit people, knowing how to fall helps when it happens. I don't pick my feet up as much due to back injuries, so I will usually do a face plant.   -crofter

Qxxx said:
mini survival kit in my hiking pack. Weighs 14.6 oz
I carry some antibiotic pain creme with the bandaids and benadryl for bee stings.  -crofter

AARP shows the way. Says "One of the things we try for in stunt falls is landing on meaty parts of your body — the muscles in your back, butt or thighs". Hmmm, the problem as indicated in previous links is old people tend to commonly break their "pelvises", I imagine from coming down on their sides instead of their butts. Ooof.

FWIW, the very precocious little girl in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" the movie took a huge fall, about 2:30 in this scene. She had padding on under the arms of the dress.

You are supposed to turn your head and drop the shoulder and roll instead of the face plant. Breaking the fall with your hand is hard on it and could injure your wrist also. I would practice that move on a soft surface just in case.  -crofter

Somehow, I don't think people in their 60s and 70s are gonna do very well at roll coordination. In my case, having dislocated both shoulders in the past, shoulder roll is probably out.

Latest posts