Training for the worst day of your life / personal self defense

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crofter said:
Kettle Bell workout for beginners

You can use a stability ball ( one of those big pouffy balls) for the first move, the plank, so you don't have your elbows into the gravel. And using a stability ball for your plank works your core more.  -crofter

Those kettlebells look good. I have 2 12# dumbbells I take on the road. One could probably do similar exercises with them.

It's difficult to top such a graphic sentence.

@QXXX that sideways look is called a whale eye and trainers watch out for it because it can be a signal the dog is about to attack. Even people who don’t know this know on an intuitive level that it’s a dangerous signal. OTOH I recently adopted the sweetest pocket pit from the shelter. She had been badly beaten and kicked for two and a half years ( her lifetime) and in the shelter she would crawl on her belly and give the whale eye. They were afraid of her and felt she was unpredictable. She wasn’t. SHE was terrified and terrified of looking humans in the eye. So it’s not necessarily aggression. I’ve been growled at by every kind of dog and I admit GS scare me when they growl-wolflike maybe? And I had one and a Pit/ Ahepherd mix.

Lerca what's a GS?

this is aimed at everyone please define abbreviations that are not well known.

highdesertranger

Ahhh, the old "whale eye". My girlfriend's shepherd had a physical problem with its neck from the litter, and she said whenever she took it out, people would look at it in fear. But the dog was a complete sweetie.

One funny note. One time the gf and I were coming in the front door of her place with the shepherd bringing up the rear. I was holding the door open for it to follow. A friend of the girl's from school had let himself into the house and was sitting on the couch. No one home, the door was unlocked.

I had let go of the door thinking the shepherd was in, but she saw the guy on the couch and backed up, just as the spring-loaded door slammed down on her tail. She let out this ferocious wail, and the guy turned grey. He thought he was dead. So much for letting yerself into other people's houses.

GS is either Great Saint, Geronimo's Secrethideout, General Sherman, or German Shepherd.

Qxxx said:
GS is ... German Shepherd.
Technically the breed is German Shepherd Dog abreviated as GSD but now that means "getting stuff done".    -crofter

We just called the GSD "Jessie", for short. She preferred short sentences.

Don't forget there is one last practice day before we all tell tell how this week of practice went on Monday.

Disciplines we are practicing include cardiovascular fitness,walking and hiking or running, kettle bells and weight training, balance and coordination, grip strength speed and accuracy, dry practice drills, dog training and dog handling, situational awareness and planning ..... Did I leave anything out?

Going to the gym.  -crofter

Where to start?

Still living in a sticks and bricks home, but just did a 5 day camping stint in the mountains above my house.

Move it or lose it, period. Your body was made to move, mobility issues or not, do the best you can and exercise often.

Old age or disabilities be damned, there is something you can do to feel better and perform better even in the confines of physical limitations.

I lift free weights 5 days a week, run 3 days, do wind sprints and ride my bicycle often. Occasional training on the heavy bag including self defense and martial arts stuff.

Always have a defensive weapon on my person, not usually a firearm, but sometimes. If one is serious about using a firearm for self defense exclusively, you must train. Shooting paper targets at the range is not real training. No self defense scenario is going to include a static target that is no threat...

That being said, situational awareness and retreating (running) is the most important defense during a life threatening event. It served mankind well for hundreds of thousands of years or we probably wouldn't be here to discuss such things.

badmotorscooter said:
"...situational awareness and retreating (running) is the most important defense during a life threatening event...."
Agreed. Bob did a recent interview with three ladies who hold ccw permits. All cited situational awareness and having an exit plan when boondocking and travelling solo.

Sounds like you have a great workout plan and a couple of recovery days also. I try for every day cos I am such a slacker.  -crofter

Bob's panel in Sept 2019 
https://images.app.goo.gl/HoBq1SNekyBoRnwY9

I have a book on Tai Chi, but never tried it as yet. The neighbors already think I'm weird. But crofter, you do whatever you want, :), and remember ...

"Girl don’t do what the bad man says
She gonna do what she wants"
- Maria Daines

badmotorscooter said:
I lift free weights 5 days a week, run 3 days, do wind sprints and ride my bicycle often.  Occasional training on the heavy bag including self defense and martial arts stuff.
Just for the benefit of the foolishly stupid (ie me), are you a girl? Are you 40 yo?

Exit plans rule.

When I used to live in places that were very racially aggressive, it was the first thing on my mind. I always chose my escape route, kept in mind objects that could be thrown or used for blocking or other defense/offense, took into account my own visibility or isolation and what it might provoke or protect, and situated myself accordingly. Or just turned and left.

Life has seldom been so hard since then, but bad times did teach me valuable lessons. Such as, in the least, don't take the world for granted. The world isn't here for you. It just is what it is. Getting upset about it wouldn't help, of course. But adapting always helps.

Not that you want to "go native," as anthropologists would say. At least not psychologically.

You don't want to embrace chaos and step into its world in any detectable way, because that can become its own magnet for negativity or opportunism from every random malcontent or crazy around. Don't invite people in by appearing to recognize them or share common ground. There is such a thing as being too adaptable. It's usually best to appear a civilian. People don't usually mind them too much. They offer no overt challenge or reward.

Keeping a safe but optimistic distance is one of the key conundrums in life. Go too far on either one and it cancels itself out. Too much safety leads to paranoia, which isolates and leaves one without a social network to depend upon. Too much optimism leads or at least invites evetnual victimhood, which is grim and not safe at all. And will leave one anything but optimistic.

I wish there were one answer for all. But some people are simply going to be singled out for damage and some people are not. For those that don't believe in defending themselves, one hopes that situational awareness will suffice.