Training for the worst day of your life / personal self defense

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of traditional martial arts use everyday objects or objects with a little weight on them to help you train and keep in shape/improve your shape. Examples: Japanese/Okinawans kick with weighted getas (slippers). In gung fu, people do lots of things like toss balls of concrete around. In one class, we used to hold out gallon milk buckets at arm's length to work our shoulder endurance, or roll them up along a baton to work our forearms at the same time. In other arts, you just use your body weight creatively, like doing squats on one leg instead of both. Or progress from regular push-ups to ones with feet elevated higher and higher, or do them on your knuckles or fingertips.

There is infinite variation on what you can do with little or no money to build strength and fitness.

There has been a lot of talk here about diet, **** and such, and some of us are way beyond the age of hard workouts. So how about ... "worst" day of your life: the day we die. Does it come too soon?

So, now comes the latest in a long line of PBS food "gurus" ... Steven Gundry on the longevity paradox and de-aging (duh). Everything we know about diet is wrong. Who knew? Animal protein is the bane of health and longevity. "Leaky gut" is the big culprit. Even Mediterranean diet is really not so good. Triglyerides is the "real cause of heart disease". Etc.

https://www.kqed.org/tv/programs/index.jsp?pgmid=25817
https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27:Dr.+Steven+R+Gundry++MD

The head spins yet again.

Kinda related, coffee is a food group, right? At least to me it is. Coffee has been bad for you and good for you so many times I don't remember. I drink a LOT of coffee but have cut back some here where I am stuck as I don't want to make more than one pot (that I share) each day. Hasn't killed me yet. I figure I am at the top of the food chain and can eat whatever I like, good or bad for me. I will only get to go around once so I eat what tastes good. I want to enjoy stuff while I am still able. When I am no longer able or want to, I am done. I know I won't live forever.

Edit to add: Forgot to mention that the only prescribed medicine I take is a 85 mg aspirin that can be had over the counter. Eat a little bit of everything and enjoy. I think the key is not overeating (which is what I am doing while stuck) and drink more water.

B and C said:
 I figure I am at the top of the food chain and can eat whatever I like, good or bad for me. 
Yeah, you and the bear :).

Everything you say makes sense to me, after listening to a lifetime of health gurus, but of course, everything you said is wrong according to newest guru Grundy. LOL. Of course, I remember a few years ago when the big PBS wizzbang guru was Covert Bailey, who likened "every" form of fat to "axle grease". 

It just never ends. Eg. 85 mg aspirin may be considered good for helping keep heart problems at bay, but according to Grundy it will enhance the problem of "leaky gut", leading to chronic inflammation, on and on. 

So I was just tossing the Grundy bit out as another example of ... we each get to choose our own poison.

I think the last time I ran flat out I was in my late forties. I'm 71 now so the worst day of my life might well be my last. I think muscle memory is more important for shooting than being in any particular shape.

I may be the odd man out here, but I'm gonna play the odds. There are at least 12 causes of death in the US higher than getting shot, and if I stay out of the cities, there are probably 50 ways I'm more likely to die. Older people are much more likely to take their own lives, than have it taken by someone else.

https://www.healthline.com/health/leading-causes-of-death

You are not making me feel any better about getting old Qxxx!

That's a bad sign, frog. Depression is a big killer in the elderly. As an engineer-ala-scientist, I always see that the first step in dealing with any problem is information gathering. Trying to be objective. Otherwise, yer just shooting metaphorical blanks.

I've been following up in regards food "guru" Steven Grundy. It seems that lectins are especially bad for you, being indigestible forms of proteins, and are related to the "leaky gut" idea. There is a huge amount of info on the web on this, besides by SG. The good thing is that cooking destroys most lectins.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-lectins

FWIW, SG's list of bad foods.

https://humanfoodbar.com/plant-para...diet-full-shopping-list-for-lectin-free-diet/

It's always something.

Monday quote: "In one study, men who took green tea extract before exercise burned 17% more fat than men who didn't take the supplement. The study suggests that green tea can boost the fat-burning effects of exercise (8Trusted Source)."
from this link https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/green-tea-and-weight-loss#burning-fat

A longtime green tea drinker, I am exploring matcha tea this week to aid in attacking belly fat. Also said to help get rid of fat around organs. Us older ones prob have some of that and it is a health risk.  

Monday report: I am told that consuming turkey leads to talking a nap after, which effect I am attributing my lethargic training performance this week. About 10 miles and great lifting on only a couple days, then several rest days followed by frantic activity and more lifting helping people move. Good thing each day provides a new opportunity.   ~crofter

Qxxx said:
Depression is a big killer in the elderly. 
Depression is also a nutritional problem. Not enough vitamin D can lead to it. People in the Southwest may not have this problem but those in the PNW should supplement with Vitamin D3 due to much less sunshine on the bod. My doctor prescribed 2000 units daily.   ~crofter

Too little sunlight especially in winter leads to well-known SAD, seasonal affective disorder, not just in the elderly.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...fective-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20364651

I think a lot of elderly get depressed just because of all the things they "can't" do anymore. Got to stay active, have hobbies, make plans, git off yer butt and out the door.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/14196-the-moving-finger-writes-and-having-writ-moves-on-nor
“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”

RVTravel said:
Extremist dieting...yipes.
According to the good doctor Grundy, most of what I eat is toxic. If you are diagnosed with the condition that his diet was developed to cure, I'm sure his research would be valuable to you. 

To get back to the subject at hand, how did everyone fare on their training this week? Any monster hikes to celebrate the holiday?    ~crofter

crofter said:
According to the good doctor Grundy, most of what I eat is toxic. If you are diagnosed with the condition that his diet was developed to cure, I'm sure his research would be valuable to you. 

To get back to the subject at hand, how did everyone fare on their training this week? Any monster hikes to celebrate the holiday?    ~crofter
Yeah, that's the fun thing about this week's PBS guru, everything you know is always ain't right. Sometimes I think PBS should be sued for fraud. I look at these things, and try to incorporate what seems to make the most sense.

OTOH, before I ran across Grundy, I had been seeing, mainly in AARP bulletins, that "chronic inflammation" appears to be a big cause of disease in general, so I've been following up that line. Eg, it's well known that bacteria from decayed teeth can spread to other parts of the body.

Re hard workouts. I hear Sheket is walking 5 miles a day in the desert, in the midst of full days of work, and the sun going down at 5. For my part, 2 bad knees, bad hip, and 2 bad shoulders from dislocations, all mean I'm just happy to still be alive every morning and able to take an hour's walk every couple of days. Yer prolly on the wrong forum, crofter, to find many people like you and BMS. Most of us here are older and beat up, I think.