Training for the worst day of your life / personal self defense

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These people are walking in Baltimore. Ernestine says that if there was an anti aging pill, they would have to name it exercise.   ~crofter

Qxxx said:
Re hard workouts. I hear Sheket is walking 5 miles a day in the desert, in the midst of full days of work, and the sun going down at 5. For my part, 2 bad knees, bad hip, and 2 bad shoulders from dislocations, all mean I'm just happy to still be alive every morning and able to take an hour's walk every couple of days. Yer prolly on the wrong forum, crofter, to find many people like you and BMS. Most of us here are older and beat up, I think.
I did pool exercise after my second back injury, and then 6 months of hard training at a rehab gym to try to get back working in my occupation. Never got back to work in my occupation, but the pain from that injury is gone. I still get in the pool to stretch out my back, and this helps me stay pain free. You might try pool exercise.   ~crofter

This guy has some interesting tips on diet and supplements (creatine on different link).   ~crofter

Supplements are mostly a waste of money as are vitamins for those that are otherwise healthy. Some are not regulated and may contain harmful substances. Carcinogens are being discovered in medications made in China. Most medications are now made in China.

I ended up cutting/loading 3 pickup truck loads of firewood, and stomping through the brush to do so. I hope to get out on my mountain bike again a few times before snow flies. NW Ohio has miserable weather this time of year, mostly windy, and overcast near freezing.

hahahaha Gym membership, just go prospecting. you don't need to pay someone for a work out. highdesertranger

crofter said:
This guy has some interesting tips on diet and supplements (creatine on different link).   ~crofter

Oh gosh, creatinine supplements. I'm going to leave this thread in peace now :). See ya somewheres down the road, another place, another time.

ckelly78z said:
I ended up cutting/loading 3 pickup truck loads of firewood, and stomping through the brush to do so. I hope to get out on my mountain bike again a few times before snow flies. NW Ohio has miserable weather this time of year, mostly windy, and overcast near freezing.
Awesome workout lifting all that. Take care on the ice with that bike. Live strong and keep training!   crofter

RVTravel said:
...Carcinogens are being discovered in medications made in China....
I'm sure there are carcinogens all over the planet at this point. FYI, some high quality supplements are made in Germany.

To get back to the subject at hand, How did your training go this week, RVTravel?   ~crofter

badmotorscooter said:
Jack LaLanne was the man.  He talked the talk and walked the walk...
I remember him! His whole life was about training. Some of the stories from people who got into training after retiring are pretty inspiring, with before and after. Documents what a sedentary lifestyle will do to your body, and how you can rebound from it.

There is quite a bit of white hair going on at my gym during the day (I'm in an urban area so that works for me). I am hoping to make a smoother transition in and out of my seasonal work. If you have been off all winter and then hit it with spring work in the forest, it is quite a steep curve! So how did your training o this week?   ~crofter

B and C said:
I think the last time I ran flat out I was in my late forties.  I'm 71 now so the worst day of my life might well be my last.  I think muscle memory is more important for shooting than being in any particular shape.
True, speed and accuracy improve with training, both range and dry practice. How did your training go this week?   ~crofter (minimal dry practice this week)

Training was pretty standard, I was able to comfortably bump up straight leg deadlifts by 50 lbs after nursing a strained MCL for too long.  After I quit procrastinating online, going to ride my bicycle into town.  25 miles round trip and mostly uphill on the way back.

How about you?

highdesertranger said:
hahahaha  Gym membership,  just go prospecting.  you don't need to pay someone for a work out.  highdesertranger
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but history shows I need the company of other like minded individuals to really stick with it, and well defined goals to work towards. Otherwise I get sucked into aimless dilly-dallying during my winter season off. 

Prospecting would be a workout, and is goal oriented so I see how that would work for you. Same for me when I am in the forest working I have no need of a workout. I do a warmup walk every morning and make a plan, then hit it.

In this thread we are logging miles and hours of lifting or other training, such as dry practice. We welcome sharing alternatives for adapting your training to the dwelling lifestyle and success stories.   ~crofter

badmotorscooter said:
Training was pretty standard, I was able to comfortably bump up straight leg deadlifts by 50 lbs after nursing a strained MCL for too long.  After I quit procrastinating online, going to ride my bicycle into town.  25 miles round trip and mostly uphill on the way back.

How about you?
I reported before the derail, had some great workouts pre holiday, couple days off, then alot of stairs and lifting helping someone move after the holiday. Mileage was down this week only about 10 miles. On the downside I gained 2 pounds, had been holding the line on weight since my forest job ended. But I had a great workout yesterday, so I'm baaaak!

One of the tricks I have been using is called intermittent fasting, in my case a longer overnight fast. It has helped me feel less hungry and helped my digestion.   ~crofter

ok lets stay on subject the thread has been derailed into posts about,

"a discussion of food, illnesses, and medicine made in China"

you can all start a thread on those subjects if you want but lets keep this thread on training.

thanks, highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
you can all start a thread on those subjects if you want . 
Been there, done that already, crofter's wish is my command. No one can deny her, LOL.

Qxxx said:
Been there, done that already, crofter's wish is my command. No one can deny her, LOL.
Thanks!

For those near Quartzite, here's a fun spot for a no impact workout, I think it is $5 and open in the afternoons.           ~crofter

Lake Havasu City Aquatic Center 100 Park Ave, Lake Havasu City, AZ open in the afternoons.
https://www.lhcaz.gov/parks-recreation/aquatic-center

Also a pool in Blythe, Village Retreat on 301 8th St is open 24 hours for members.

Natural water also, more challenging to get a workout:
  • Buckskin Mountain State Park. Parker, AZ.
  • River Island Unit. Parker, AZ.
  • River Island State Park. Parker, AZ.
  • Alamo Lake State Park. Wenden, AZ.
  • Cattail Cove State Park. Lake Havasu City, AZ.
  • Picacho State Recreation Area. Winterhaven, CA.
  • Lake Havasu State Park. Lake Havasu, AZ.

^^^ That $73 punch pass for the pool access sounds like a good deal. It allows you 20 punches, so someone near Lake Havasu could go twice a week for 2.5 months.

Checking in late, having hell weeks at work covering for other employees. My Fitbit was off for a day, though.

27 miles walked
52 flights of stairs equivalent
257 minutes working out
5 of 7 days worked out

Did manage to figure out a way to work out, gratefully, in the dark. 
Can't imagine having to explain that out here, where people look askance at me for walking for the sake of walking, lol.
Waiting to get parts for my gifted bike, to add some variety, and leave behind trying to snag rides into town with others.

And still can't write a post without having to edit :rolleyes: