what are you doing while under lockdown?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a gas line was put through our farm they were required to have an archaeological survey first. The experts found a skeleton of a rare eastern species of elk. It took them 6 months to find out they were wrong. They didn't ask me. I remember dragging that old cow up to the spot we buried her with a team of horses. So while under lockdown I am still laughing at those "edumaked" snobs. (like how I linked my post to the thread?)

Dig some research on making cloth mask with inserts of material to improve filtration. Found one interesting website from some clothing designers who actually go hold of some testing equipment to run a few test on particle filtration. Unfortunately could not afford the 40k fee to send it to a lab for testing with the actual virus but they did have equipment to test to .3 microns. They tested a wide variety of materials for use as an inner liner and the best results for being able to actually inhale through a material but still do the best filtering was surprisingly blue shop towels. The Scott brand did not make the cut. However the shop towels from Harbor Freight appeared to be very effective when used in a double layer.

Now remember this is for making non medical use mask, they are not as good as N95 or its equivalent mask as is used in China and Korea. But it will be more effective than just cotton cloth such as bandanas. Of course this test while done with fairly decent equipment was not run in a professional lab environment. But the results were interesting enough that I did order a bin of the blue towels from Harbor Freight. They won't go to waste in our workshop space no matter if we decide to use them or not, so no financial loss to me for a bit of an experiment.

Here is a link to the article about this small research project for blue shop towel homemade masks from "Business Insider"
https://www.businessinsider.com/homemade-mask-using-hydro-knit-shop-towel-filters-better-2020-4

Sewing machine is now out and set up for sewing some sample mask tomorrow. I also sorted out some nice thick cotton T-shirts I am not that fond of for use for the outer mask. Got out some 1/4" wide elastic from my sewing supply box.

I download a mask pattern and instructions from Providence St. Joseph Hospital given for their community volunteers to sew for them. Below is the link to that page, scroll down to the bottom for the links to the mask, there is a link in the information to a video tutorial for making it. I will be using a 4" opening at the top edge for inserting an inner mask filter liner of blue shop towels as well as adding a soft metal piece for forming around the bridge of the nose. No doubt I might end up modifying the pattern or even using a different one. But this one will do for a start.
https://www.providence.org/lp/100m-masks

Qxxx said:
Be smart MV. I hope you're still somewhere in western AZ where not many people are living.

I'm a free citizen of the USA. I gather information, and I make my own decisions. Nobody tells me what to do. My choice is to do everything I can to stay healthy.
Yeah, I'm up near Kingman but this place has its problems. No hassles from rangers at all though. I'm fully stocked as of today and doing some research on my next camp. I did the Walmart pickup thing. Worked out OK. Wiped everything down with alcohol before it went in the van. Thanks..

I deleted a series of post for being off topic and dealing with subjects that are beyond this forum. some posts got deleted for responding to these other posts. highdesertranger

For a mask, I use a bandana with a coffee filter folded insinde it.

Our firm went remote March 20th. I don't have internet connection at my swampland so I am working from a friend's spare bedroom...sure beats office politics!

aloha, and all the best to all of us who are challenged to hone our 'alone-skills' to their maximum benefit. i have been retired for several years, so i am continuing to do what i do in retirement. here are a few of those things....

i walk outside every day (though, for the time being, the amount of miles i walk has been limited to my home area only), i meditate and stretch my body, i savor a hot cup of tea each morning, i read books and stretch my mind (physical books as well as online reading), i cook and eat yummy food, i research and work on projects i am interested in (the current one being what first 'transporter' would be best for beginner-me for the rv life), i regularly connect by phone and video with family and friends, i send cards to friends and family and snail-mail them, i watch biographies, documentaries, history, and other interesting programs online, i write (poems, journal, etc.), i attend online university courses (the latest is astrophysics), i walk outside again and bring my camera with me to capture something new i may have missed on my first walk :)

nature lover said:
When a gas line was put through our farm they were required to have an archaeological survey first.  The experts found a skeleton of a rare eastern species of elk.  It took them 6 months to find out they were wrong.  They didn't ask me.  I remember dragging that old cow up to the spot we buried her with a team of horses.  So while under lockdown I am still laughing at those "edumaked" snobs.  (like how I linked my post to the thread?)
This reminds me of the Bone Wars in the late 1800's - where paleontologists would plant cow bones on each others' dinosaur digs to embarrass them.

ok what did I post about the man vs woman thing. go back to post #66 if you forgot because some of you obviously have. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
ok what did I post about the man vs woman thing.  go back to post #66 if you forgot because some of you obviously have.  highdesertranger
Sorry, guess I skipped that page!

highdesertranger said:
ok what did I post about the man vs woman thing.  go back to post #66 if you forgot because some of you obviously have.  highdesertranger
Please quote exactly what you are so offended by. Noone else here knows what you are talking about.
Course we do not see what is already deleted.
-crofter

I am aware of what the issue was. Why would you say no one knows?

Sexual orientation comments/innuendos/jokes, it seems.

Getting overly creative with cooking,  lol
Navy beans in chicken stock with some halved red potatoes

Attachments

• 20200408_125632_resize_86.jpg
    20200408_125632_resize_86.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 9
if you don't know what I am talking about go read #66. if you still don't know good, that means you were not one of those that got deleted. highdesertranger

Made several face masks for myself and a couple other nomads encamped nearby for when we have to go to town. I finally got around to chopping off the extra material on a sheet I was using - it was a queen size sheet and I have a shortened twin. Now the darn thing finally fits well!!

I still have a couple more days of enforced quarantine to go here in BC but the day it's over is the day I start trying to get in to shape with some serious hill walking. Sitting on my butt while driving and then in quarantine has left me feeling like I'm getting old - and that is NOT going to happen!

Hi,  With nothing else to do I decided to make/revive some sourdough bread starter.   I had a lacto starter culture (about a 2-3 quarts) sealed up in a jar in the brewing fridge.  Thought it might have gone inactive, but I just mixed one to one to one-- 1 part sourdough culture slurry,  1 part plain flour- and 1 part boiled-purified water.  Took 2 days to finally kick up, and now it's growing like wildfire.  I  just started a second jar.  As a tip, don't feed with high gluten pizza flour-- it won't bubble just grows like a blob.  Now I need to make some pizza or bread.

Big focus is on food for us. Also more intention toward mental health and positive mental attitude. Today my doctor told me I should be meditating daily. Nothing like inner peace to improve your health.  -crofter

Took a drive out in eastern Oregon yesterday. Left at 4 am and went to all 3 sections of John Day Fossil Beds National Monument which are closed. Beautiful desert and forest scenery. Saw about 100 wild turkeys near the town of Spray. No traffic. Great motorcycle roads. No contact with other people. All in compliance with Oregon virus rules.

Staying at home, building a greenhouse for my wife, and restoring a garden tractor for myself (John Deere 316)....all of our camping trips have been cancelled by closures in Ohio/Michigan.

Latest posts