Working Overnights In City While Living Van Life & Maintaining A Healthy Lifestyle and Diet? IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE?!?!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance22

Reaction score
I work overnights right now in an apartment but will be switching to the minivan come this fall and winter then will head up to the Dakotas or Nebraska or Montania for the summer then will take off to the Gulf Coast for Jan & Feb and half of march (I want to stay during Nov & Dec. since it's retail busy season and I work retail. Might need to get a motel room through parts of Dec if there are cold blasts idk..)

Typically I wake up around 8PM. Have breakfast. 2-3 eggs, 3 turkey links, 2 slices of bread I cook on top of the pan. (I have now switched to using the turkey links as holders to hold the toast above the eggs so the eggs cook and I can make "kinda toast" all in one dish) then I will have jam on top of my bread/toastish I don't want to waste fule burning my bread to make toast... Then I make coffee in my coffee maker. My coffee maker runs on 650 watts and I have a (two actually) bluette power station that has a 700watt inverter built in that can make my coffee via 12v. This power station is going to be connected to a 100w pannel on the roof (tested it this weekend for the eclipse and it already works wonderfully! the other 300 watts goes into the main system 200ah battery that will power my fridge and freezer) As for my breakfast I have used butaine with a butaine stove, however I am leaning towards switching to the green propaine bottles. (yes the bigger reusable canisters would be cheaper but I have a minivan, limited space so long as I live without things like toast on daily cooking the negatives are not as noticeable..

Then Lunch.. In the past I have meal prepped. twice a week I cooked rice, raw chicken, and broccoli. I have a rice cooker that works on my bluette power station and if I use it daily for one meal I should be fine. Although I have been looking to get back into having salads for lunch which would be no cooking however I would like to have some type of cooked meat. I have been trying some frozen cooked options I love the frozen meatballs, frozen chicken and they don't seem that bad sodium wise.. however I have been thinking more and more about cooking at the park 2 times a week.

Typically I go to the gym 4 days a week M T H F Which means I can then cook W and SU while having SA still be a rest day. I don't like to "cook" in the minivan however short bursts like breakfast that takes 7min to cook or less is fine. Also pasta is simple too and maybe cooking up frozen veggies although I like putting that in with rice or using my rice cooker for that likely that would be my dinner. which would drain the battery for bed time then when im sleeping the battery would be charging (ie I go to bed around 2pm) As for the W and SU cooking at the park. Just simply want to cook a bunch of meat that I can store in my fridge or freezer and enjoy it during the week with my meals. Weather provided and motivation to cook provided. Could resort to frozen precooked foods as well but I want to not always eat that hense the plan to start cooking at the park. Yes, those green bottles would be doing the heavy lifting ie higher costs but overall health would be improved so worth it?...

Side note I been getting about 22mpg down from 26-28 with my new solar, they sit halfway over the front driver door because I wanted them slid forward so the back hatch door can open fully. Plus im more of a in town driver with ocasional freeway driving for long seasonal trips so not that big of deal in the big picture..

Also food items like greek yogurt with jam (same jam I use for breakfast) and oatmeal are becoming good snacks I like plus the all bran is good source of fiber. Oh and I been working on improving my healthy with green juice however I just use my magic bullet blender! frozen berries and fruit blended with fresh greens like kale & greens & celery make a fantastic drink don't forget the ginger and lemon!!!! Again the magic bullet runs on the bluette and with blend times of 2-3 min the power draw is very tiny so is the blenders size!

I feel like my diet is VERY well planned out. Just a bit worried how I can fit it all into the minivan with smaller fridge size but I have 6 months to start getting my portions nailed down. Oh almost forgot I drink almond milk with my coffee no creamer! And for snacks I like apples, organges, and bananas.. I have a sweet tooth that I have to try keeping in check hense the abundance of fruit to keep me away from the sweets!

That's my diet that I worked so hard on designing and being able to fit that into a minivan (still in theory mode but been trying to test it out as best I can)

When it comes to daily schedule I wake up, have breakfast, coffee I journal about self reflection on what I want to accomplish and where I want to be going in the future and that has helped me so much. Really helps to clear my thoughts and to help get me pointed in the right direction and more focused.

Then I get ready. In the past during van life when I worked overnights shortly I did washup in the minivan and just drive to work from there after. Then after work I went to the gym to workout 4 days a week and on my rest day I would just shower at the gym. Typically I went to 2-3 different gyms. This time I will be having two gym brand memberships and planet fitness will be one of them this time so that's exciting given they can accomidate more volume in number of people showering so I don't feel as guilty for using them so frequently..

Then after the gym I would just head to my park of choice. I would chill out in the driver seat for a bit. Idk, weird habbit I've developed is I need a good bit to get comfortable in a space before I do anything. I LOVE going to the park in the mornings when it's quiet chilly, and underused it is so wonderful when it's nearly empty such a magical period in time!! Then after Ido what I need to do ie cook or eat I can go for a walk on W. or just relax from my workout at the gym and then sleep usually noon to 8pm

I never had issues with sleeping in the park since I'm just "napping" did get the knock once but he just wanted to make sure I knew the rules but the park was still open and I had explained im just napping before work and that I would be long gone by park close which was 10 or 11 being I worked at 10 I would leave by 9:30 9:45 anyways.

Plus since I be in a colder state I want to take Jan Feb and part of March off from my retail job and head to Texas along the coast ( yes, I've done Quartsite before also great place so maybe there after a few winters too.) Would love to experience the gulf during the cold season when it's not croweded and just live there and enjoy life in mostly empty parks!!

I think I have a solid plan, part of which I have already lived much of it being I done van life while working overnights a bit but didn't have nearly as much solar or even a inverter that could power devices like coffee ( I did the cold brew method which was ok) If anyone has any suggestions or tips or tricks I am all ears or if you see holes in my ideas and concepts please do help me see them so I can work to improve my plan even better.

I eventually want to cut down to 32 hours a week working. However for now I want to stay at 40 so I can better take those 2.5 months off to travel Although I would like to see about getting a temp job down there as well via some temp agency cause I like to stay active likely more of a part time job so I can better relax and enjoy being down there.

Im in my late 30's so still got lots of time and things to do in life but I'm so excited to get out of this expensive rental box and start living life again. Maybe my plan will help others too. I never really seen much content as to how to eat healthy while living in a minivan. Sure my diet may not be super healthy but it's far better than typical I think at least. Plus it's easy and yes, my gender is male and im not very good with running a kitchen but im trying to learn while being realistic.

If anyone else does the whole working overnights while maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle please let me know how you do it as well and what your typical route looks like! As well as the heavy hitters in your diet to keep you healthy.

Being in colder mostly cloudy weather may present a charging problem. I always managed to get permission to charge things while at work ( they even let me park in the parking lot and plugin when not working every now and then) gyms or motels where friends worked but occasionally found plugins at public shelter houses, fish cleaning stations and truck stop restaurants when needed. I even took a gym class at a university to get a parking pass (parking lots had lamp posts with plugins for vehicle block heaters) and a shower Actually you really don’t need much food to keep healthy. My big problem was having too much. When in an urban area a Subway 6” flat bread, egg white, ham, pepper jack cheese, green pepper, onions toasted with lots of sliced tomatoes, a little lettuce and a ton of banana peppers on top with coupons or special deals used to be under $5. A sausage, egg, cheese with Pica cooked in burrito is two meals for me at around $10 now at the Mexican Restaurant down the street but comes with a free side of hot vegetables, cumbers and salsa. I would usually grill a small steak then cut it in half for dinner with a few fresh grilled vegetables and the next days first meal. No commercially bought drinks, just water maybe some flavoring or mixed supplements. Didn’t need much more food storage space than a small cooler to keep things overnight and usually got free ice at work or just used snow. Since I get fresh eggs from my neighbor I’ve started cooking and spending more and gaining weight! Lol!!! Consider seasonal employment as a good way to visit areas you want to see especially if housing or full hookup are available. Check coolworks.com and Facebook groups of seasonal workers.

Last edited:
I don't want to misinterpret so I'll ask to verify.

You have two power stations. What models?
You have solar installed. How many watts?
Do you have additional batteries? Or is it all in the power stations?
Do you currently have a 12v fridge? Are you planning on having two and use one as a freezer?

It would help a lot to know the answers, so we can give better advice.

Anything is possible if you are adaptable to changes in your personal regimens. Nomadic life brings with it lots of need to be adaptable.

Anything is possible if you are adaptable to changes in your personal regimens. Nomadic life brings with it lots of need to be adaptable.
It's good to be creative... and simple.

I don't have a refrigerator. I eat nuts, dried fruit, bananas, apples, oranges, carrots, onions, garlic, eggs, cheese, tuna, soup... mostly. Coffee in the mornings via a propane stove, which is what I cook on also. I've also been drinking ~3oz of whiskey before dinner. I'll get a meal (with meat!) in town when I resupply about every 10 days. A deployable solar panel and LiFePO4 battery with charge controller runs the laptop and led lights.

I have plenty of room, but I like to keep it simple. Lance22 has a very different situation as he is often working and in/near town. In some ways that would make it easier since stocking up would be unnecessary.

Lance22, did I read that you are hoping to spend Dec in Montana (or similar)? That's gonna be really cold...

While traveling in my rig hunting for work, I found a position with this one corporation in central Ohio. In those days corporate HR departments expected workers to be in the sticks and bricks once they were hired. But I was still able to use my rig as it turned out in my work. Traveling/living out of a rig was almost unheard of then and living in one while working wouldn't have been allowed. How things have changed over the years.

A mini van may get you started and be ok in decent weather but you may need something more substantial in time. Safety, Comfort, and Convenience should be primary considerations as you get started.

One of the luckiest things that happened to me was when I went out for lunch I stopped by a "Health Food Store" and got to know the young woman who was managing it. As I got to know her better I learned she had a degree in nutrition. I explained to her that in my home town there was a health food store on the other end of the block that I lived on. One thing led to another and we became close and she began to mentor me on the things I didn't know about healthy food and supplements. I wasn't nearly the purist that she was and she was about healthy food, proper nutrition, exercise, and ongoing learning.

There was no computers or internet then. Her store had an extensive Library, (books & magazines for sale) and I began reading thru those materials. The word "Organic" wasn't heard of then while everything was just called "Natural".

She made quite a difference in my life. In time my company relocated me and she wanted to stay in her own realm so that was the end of us.

As for your traveling, getting out of an apartment will save you a bunch of money but will a mini van be adequate for your needs ? If you have good income you may want to consider moving up to a larger insulated
that will sustain you in colder weather. Or be pleasant with A/C in warmer weather. (or safe in stormy or threatening weather)

Back during Covid a number of schools began offering free courses in huge numbers of fields. Culinary was one
and that included Nutrition and Health Foods. Facebook was another source for finding online communities focused on that as well.

You could take a look at these self paced online courses that are FREE.

Introduction to Nutrition

Nutrition: Vitamins & Minerals

Facebook: (groups to consider)

Healthy Food and Nutrition Benefit

Healthy Life, Food & Fitness Tips

Health & Nutrition

I don't want to misinterpret so I'll ask to verify.

You have two power stations. What models?
You have solar installed. How many watts?
Do you have additional batteries? Or is it all in the power stations?
Do you currently have a 12v fridge? Are you planning on having two and use one as a freezer?

It would help a lot to know the answers, so we can give better advice.
I'm going for 3 power systems.

1. is the main one 300 watts pannels mounted on the roof (3x100 watt renogy pannels on the roof) That goes into my deep cycle 200ah battery that powers my Alpicool G22 23Qt. fridge which I am looking to switch over to a freezer after the summer. Had it for a few years and it has worked amazing. Kinda surprise it hasn't clunked out yet, but when it does likely will replace it with a clone given that one size and shape needs to be the same as it will be in the back row on a shelf. Also looking at a Costway 53Qt. fridge that will replace my current one (that will be moving to a freezer since it's smaller) after the summer.

Still trying to organize my fridge needs so maybe I could get by with smaller if I had to but I don't think I have to..

2. 100 watts pannel mounted on the roof will be powering my Bluetti power station EB70 716wh. Already tested it out this last weekend before I got my 1st power system up and running ( I finished fusing it already, still gotta test to see if the 3rd pannel is drawing power given it's kinda a different pannel same 100 watts but different style so might not be working as intend but still testing)

This has a 700 watt invertor to power things like my magic bullet, coffee maker ( I could switch to cold brew to save power if need be) Rice Cooker. Might get an instant pot but no decision yet...

3. I had first bought a bluetti power station EB3A 268 but realized quickly that using my rice cooker used nearly 75%-100% of the battery even if I cooked during the day with what 50 watts of actual power that would be to taxing on set up so it's more of a "toy" but am going to get a folding 60-80 watt portable pannel and attach it to the dash and then hook that to the power station so likely will be getting 1/3 power which would be at least 20 watts which from there I have 3 Anker 26,000 mah that I rotate (2 in service 1 charging, willing to get a 4th to have 2 and 2 but likely just don't need it) to charge up my usb devices 3 phones, 2 phones used as tv's and 2 usb speakers and a few other usb devices. Also might try powering my laptop from time to time to use the power but mainly it be an emergency power source or a toy to kinda play around with.. Since those power banks charge up at a speed of 9 watts it seems perfect for the power that I would be getting anyways.

So yea my charge controller could only support 300 watts and instead of rigging it all into one system I figured it be nice to have duel systems vs having it all go into my 200 ah battery So if I tap out on my number 2 system by cooking to much then my fridge and freezer are still perfectly fine and not effected. Seems like the perfect idea to me at least. The 3rd system is more of a toy steming from buying to small of a power station and figuring since I already charge up my power banks on my #1 system I could easily switch that over to it's own independent system as well.

So mainly my #1 system is going to JUST power my fridge and freezer.... and it's going to likely be powering my laptops some 60-80% of the time as well but beyond that I really don't use that much power. Oh I do have some USB lights that run off the power banks. But I also have two lucy lights that are solar power that fit right into the dash. They have a nicer softer light which is nice. Which I think will still fit with the other pannels in the dash.

Power tools and car vaccum also take up power but I don't use them that often. I really wanted my system to be over powered and I don't want to have to charge up power outside of the van.

BLUETTI Portable Power Station EB3A, 268Wh

Order details
Ordered on December 6, 2023 (1 item)
BLUETTI Portable Power Station EB70 716Wh

It's way cheaper to make room for a 20# LP tank which holds 4.6 gallons & TSC will refill for $18. I heat with LP & pay 1/2 that price, $1.99 gal. Trading tanks cost way too much also.

It's a balancing act trying to make a minivan work vs. a full size. For me at least. However that space it takes up has an even greater cost. Not to mention the safety risks. I seen a youtuber recently have a leak in his LP tank and he was left stranded waiting for it to all empty out and disapate...

I don't think I would want to risk that in a minivan living in town.

It's good to be creative... and simple.

I don't have a refrigerator. I eat nuts, dried fruit, bananas, apples, oranges, carrots, onions, garlic, eggs, cheese, tuna, soup... mostly. Coffee in the mornings via a propane stove, which is what I cook on also. I've also been drinking ~3oz of whiskey before dinner. I'll get a meal (with meat!) in town when I resupply about every 10 days. A deployable solar panel and LiFePO4 battery with charge controller runs the laptop and led lights.

I have plenty of room, but I like to keep it simple. Lance22 has a very different situation as he is often working and in/near town. In some ways that would make it easier since stocking up would be unnecessary.

Lance22, did I read that you are hoping to spend Dec in Montana (or similar)? That's gonna be really cold...

No no.. be spending Jan and Feb. in Texas along the gulf cost where it's warmer than up north.. During the off season the tourists would be much less than the busy gulf coast season so I think I might not have it all to myself but be far less crowds so that might be nice.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

With the fridge and freezer on the 200ah batteries, they won't use closer to that up in a day. If you're going to move away from your butane stove, you might consider an electric induction stovetop.

It would solve storing any burning gas. As I understand it's cool to the touch (I haven't personally used one).

It sounds like you have plenty of power for just about anything you'd need to charge.

^Don't forget that he needs to charge those batteries with something... and the energy collected needs to exceed his average use.

Oh ya! Well probably... I can't remember for sure offhand, but would a fridge and freezer in separate units use ~500-1000+ Whr per day depending on temperature?

Also, if the panels are horizontal I think ~1200 Wh would be about it on a sunny winter day, and a lot less if it's cloudy. That would be cutting it close, I think.

I do think that electric cooking is a good idea though if he can swing it.

I can’t be bothered taking along a bunch of electric appliances and constantly be worrying about having enough solar input to keep my fridge running all day and night. For cooking I primarily use a small dual fuel stove from the Gas One Company. Mostly I am using butane for it. https://gasone.com/collections/base-camping/products/gs-4000p

Healthy foods are often the healthiest with quick cooking times. However there is a way to use a lot less power for slower cooking things such as rice. There are thermal pots that are frequently used in Asia for rice cooking. Use these keywords below in the parentheses to see them and also go on YouTube to see all the things you can make in them. “Energy saving thermal rice cooker”

I can’t be bothered taking along a bunch of electric appliances and constantly be worrying about having enough solar input to keep my fridge running all day and night. For cooking I primarily use a small dual fuel stove from the Gas One Company. Mostly I am using butane for it. https://gasone.com/collections/base-camping/products/gs-4000p

Healthy foods are often the healthiest with quick cooking times. However there is a way to use a lot less power for slower cooking things such as rice. There are thermal pots that are frequently used in Asia for rice cooking. Use these keywords below in the parentheses to see them and also go on YouTube to see all the things you can make in them. “Energy saving thermal rice cooker”

There is a satisfaction and power to being able to be content with less. I've done that before and in many other areas of my life do that still today. I've tried to live without coffee, I've lived without a fridge however I always end up ending progressing to bad eating habbits and over eating. Can't save this dish for later if I cooked to much so I gotta force myself to eat it..

When I was out on the road I never really worried about my set up once I got it up. I just had a fridge and then used butaine.

This time I will have double power and add a freezer, coffee maker, and a rice cooker OR instant pot. I do have a roadpro 12v oven and a mini slow cooker that I will keep in my storage locker to test them to see if they are worth keeping or using them instead..

Either way trying to limit it to 4 devices oh and my magic bullet to blend veggies and fruit into smoothies it really helps me eat better.

This "reset" was a great opportunity for me to re-evaluate what was important to me. And that was eating healthy! And for me to maintain that health I need to ensure I can easily keep it simple and easy to do.

There has been TONS of times during my van life experience I been at a park during the day when it was 90 out and I was just trying to get through that last heat of the day.. would have been nice to whip out a frozen fruit smoothie from inside my van!

Or what about those cold cold days when the snow is drifting at the freeway rest stop but you still got another 4 hours to go before the winds die down enough to get back on the road. A coffee pot heater for hot water for a can of soup sure would hit that spot!!!

Yes, figuring it out and getting ranges and consumption amounts and building the system is complex and can be a bother... however it's 100 times worth the investment! Yes, I wanted to rip my hair out at times building my solar system both times! however now that I got it online it feels amazing!

...although there was one day in West Texas when I was running low on power. I had parked in the shade at a picnic area the entire day and the batter never got a chance to fill up. Beyond that I typically would just check the system once or twice a day but usually didn't have any worries about it at all. I typically parked in the shade anyways so that's why I always like to overbuild my systems so I don't have to worry about going for direct sunlight during the summer. Winter I usually go for the sun for that bonus heat!

Have you built in the option of charging off the alternator of the need arises?

Always good to have a backup to the backup to the backup that doesn't rely on the same thing as the backup (solar).

Happy Camper has a great idea! My ambo has a 3000+ watt alternator, 250 amp 12v. I left the master switch on for almost 2 weeks & it started fine but was charging @ 150 amps, the highest I've seen it, but not for long. With no lights it takes 13 amps to run so plenty of reserve.

Maybe the Portable Food Warmer 12V 24V 110V 3-in-1 $23.77 I posted today would help out as it runs off your vehicles lighter socket or 120v AV so you could even heat lunch at work.

oh no no no no..

I tried something like that before called the hot logic. Took 4 hours to cook an egg dish plus I had to stir it several times during as well. Anything heating would have to been NOT frozen to begin with as that would take all day! haha. I would suggest a RoadPro at least it's about 200-240 watts vs that which I think is 110 watts actually that model is only 80 watts!!!! and double the space than the hot logic so it really can't do anything but keep warm food warm even if that...

What I used to do was buy a frozen totino's pizza and put it on the dash of the minivan while I drove between campsites and in a bout a few hours it was thawed and kinda warm. I never had much patients to set a delicious pizza on the dash and let it dethaw and warm up completly I just don't know who would have that will power to wait haha.

Instant pot can warm food quick or a rice cooker can warm food in a reasonable amount of time. But something like that... VERY limited ability to warm cold food.