Aspiring Minimalist, getting stuck on keeping items just in case.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit^^ Thank you for this thread. I agree with all the replies coincides with my views. I just heard someone chime their car alarm. Have a good morning lol.

I'm a minimalist by my own standards, lol. My mother was the kitchen gadget queen and I still have some of her 1940-1950-1960-1970's stuff. I might get rid of some things, but I'm not going to stress about it. My son thinks I'm nuts; he's a true minimalist. I'm housesitting right now. Almost daily there's some tool or other item I need and have to run out to my trailer to retrieve it. I mean, come on! You don't have a kitchen washrag or a sponge? (He uses one of those scrubbers, but WTH does he use to wipe the countertop?!)

I don't believe minimalism is something that you can consciously do. You just allow it to be. There are no procedures. There is just acceptance of less.... if that is necessary or convenient at the time.
That's how it worked for me... back in the day when I actually did it. I had an old Toyota truck with a cab height shell. I was racing bikes still, so I had two bikes and all the associated tools and clothing... and it wasn't that hard to fit everything else. No storage units either, everything I owned was in the truck.

Can I do without this? If you are unsure, then sell or toss it... then you'll find out. Give it at least a month...