Things to do to keep feeling "normal" while living out of your van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ Many places looking for a warm body in today’s job market in beautiful locations. Benefits are seldom offered which is the real issue. You have to make some really good money or be really fortunate to afford a healthy lifestyle with preventative medicine aiding your decisions to live to old age.

Please tell us how you make 60%/yr profit.

Care to share?
This mostly:
Lance Why not get a job or 2 you like to jump start your plan & feel more normal? you can get a gym membership to workout & shower. The best way I've found to make money is buying & selling but you have to be quick as the great deals go fast. I was 10 at an auction with my dad, They had a Whirlpool washer/dryer in 1 unit. Put your dirty clothes in & they came our clean & dry. I bis a quarter, the actioneer called no sale but his barker said "this young man bid" & I bought it. Dad was POed but I traded it for a mint '63 black Corvair Monza w/red int & a chrome shifter which I sold for $100. Last deal I did was call on a Bridgeport Milling machine w/ DRO & power feed for $325. He said I was 9th in line, I've learned to ask what else do you have he said a complete machine shop which I said I might buy so up to 1st in line. His dad had passed & the son wanted the space for a wood shop. He had 26 working machines in the shop, 27 more in the back room rebuilt & getting painted & a bobcat trailer. I I asked what he thought was fair, he said $1500 & I paid him cash on the spot took the Bridgeport home, made a call on the way & a guy bought it that day & I'm in the black. I've enjoyed this all my life & the trill of the chase is more fun than the reward. I could take your $1000 & turn it into $5000 or more in a month. I've always had expensive hobbies & not a dime came from the family budget. You can do it on small or large items. Always buy things you can sell for more when you're done with them. PM if you want some tips.
It's not for everyone, but it really is a great way to generate money.

But as I mentioned in my previous post, you have to do the work. Know the market. Both the buyer market and seller market. Understand the upside and possible downsides to potential deals.

It's not magic, but it really is fun.

There are more ways and things to buy and sell. But it really depends on the person, personality, available time, space considerations, etc.

Everything isn't for everyone. But you can find something that fits your specific situation. And if you can't, you can create it. And with the $10k starting point, there are a lot of ways.

I told my kids when they were young (now 33 &35) if they worked & saved $10k they could have anything they wanted, one thing at a time as long as you buy it below market so when you sell it you make $$. I also told them you can learn from anyone, either what to do or what not to do. In buying & selling there are 3 types of people, #1 wants to buy for nothing & sell for over new price so we leave him alone. #2 just wants it gone & something for it, $3 knows what he wants but doesn't want to search for it or haggle he just wants it. So you're actually doing #2 & #3 a service. You always make the profit on the buy as the market sets the sell price so always price it so the 1st person buys it. Everyone wins! I don't know anyone in high school planning a career in sales but it's one of the best high paying jobs there is IMHO. This works on dishes, airplanes, heavy equipment, anything bought & sold. Lots of people make a good living buying at thrift stores, yard sales & selling on Etsy & Ebay, it's a fun treasure hunt & much easier with today's tech.

Just a word... the sweet spot for a low budget vagabond these days is to be just below the poverty line ($1,215/mo, but you can make more on the side), and domicile in a state with expanded medicaid.
That is good info, thanks! I am aiming for overseas living, but won't rule anything out. Who knows, my current plans may fall apart or take a drastic turn. Nomad life would take an adjustment, but I don't think it would bother me at all...so long as I found some small sense of community.

The average stock market return is about 10% per year for nearly the last century, as measured by the S&P 500 index. In some years, the market returns more than that, and in other years it returns less.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/investing/average-stock-market-return
True, but dividend investing is not the same as the growth/ return on just holding stocks in the S&P. My little portfolio has a return of 15.5% annually. I am not concerned with the stock prices growing. Just that the dividends are kept up and increase.
It’s all in what you are investing for or what the goal is.

To get your actual gain you must take inflation & taxes out. I don't trust brokers. If they really knew what they should they'd be Warren Buffet & not dealing w/clients. Just before the 2008 crash the market was swinging daily & that small voice we have said get out. It was over $14,000 & I got back in when it hit $6900 & out again when it hit $14000 again, broke my back so got out for good. Got a call from my broker who was day trading using my funds & lost $1200. He said he couldn't put it back in my acct so I told him I'd be down & he said he'd have cash which he didn't but passed the hat thru the building & got it. So I over doubled my $$. Avg 401k goes up 5-8% per year over the past 10 & 30 years. CDs are 5%+ & FDC insured. Money, bank & stock certs are just IOUs from people I don't trust anymore. Nuff Said!

True, but dividend investing is not the same as the growth/ return on just holding stocks in the S&P. My little portfolio has a return of 15.5% annually. I am not concerned with the stock prices growing. Just that the dividends are kept up and increase.
It’s all in what you are investing for or what the goal is.
Thanks. I don't know anything about stocks, but a couple weeks ago I found a house for sale in Beardstown, IL and remembered the Beardstown Ladies. So I looked them up. Never knew that they were exposed for exaggerating about their stock performance. Really interesting story:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...es-havent-changed-their-style/article1369791/

Glad to see someone on here talking about this. I am not a nomad, but it is (no offense to any here) my back up plan....though one i find intriguing and very interesting. I am currently a full time caregiver for my mom. She is 86 and has dementia. I am turning 49 in December. I basically lost everything when I came back to Indiana to care for her. Career, income, and what that didn't take, the caregiving took....friends, life outside the house etc.

I started a vintage Etsy shop to make some cash and quickly discovered the dividend income idea when I was watching YouTube at night. I do a lot of that while i man the baby monitor to make sure mom doesn't get up and do anything to hurt herself before he actually goes to sleep.

My goal is the same, I want about $2k in income. I squirrel away all I get from Etsy and a small vintage booth I have. I actually started getting paid by mom for her care back in august of last year, after doing it pro bono for about 3+ years. My ultimate plan, when this is over, is take what money I get from selling off my remaining inventory and all my belongings and also what I will get from my portion of mom's house (not to sound morbid, but you HAVE to make a plan to take care of yourself) and I hope to have enough to move to Thailand when I am past the 50 y/o mark. You can live quite well on $1,700 or so US there. I've toyed with the idea of doing a year, give or take, on the road here and doing the same and allowing my dividends to snowball, but i think i'd end up spending more than I made with the costs of living here, but i'm still pondering it.

Dividend investing isn't a "can't miss" as someone tried to call it. It is quite safe, depending on the stocks or EFTs you choose. There are some stocks like Coca Cola that have increased their dividend every year for 50 or more years. Others pay a great monthly dividend, but the stock price erodes over the years (Looking at you QYLD, RYLD and XYLD). You just have to know what you are picking. I currently earn almost $500 a month with the stock i have managed to scrounge up in the last 18 months.

There is a lot to keep in mind. Taxes especially. Individual stocks like Coke or Verizon pay qualified dividends which are taxed at lower rates (once you held the stock over a certain period of time) others like the real estate stocks, called REITS, they are taxed as ordinary income, so at a higher rate potentially. But they pay out 90% of their profits, as mentioned.

To the OP: check out options....out of the money covered call options specifically. You can generate a couple of hundred extra bucks a month with no real downside risk, if you do it right. Just have to have 100 shares of a well traded stock! I have used Pfizer, Ally and Bank of America and a few others.

Sorry for the long post. This is just something that I get excited to talk about:)

Exactly!

Each stock will tell you what their strategy is once you learn how to read it.

Stocks like Coke are bit more focused on growth vs dividend payout ie that is why the dividend grows long term. However I question their long term investment... are they over inflated? Will consumers stop buying their products? perhaps.

Plus reading business news you can take advantage of a new company you see great growth potential in. ie throw a few hundred down on a good growth opportunity when you feel like it.. Yes, it's a gamble but it's much less risk than just buying a lotto ticket.

Plus with the corruption in America big corporations rule everything. So owning shares in Blackrock means you can benefit from that corruption even if it's just in a micro scale. It's working smarter not harder.

You mention you are not a nomad. However I would absolutely suggest you try it for a year or two before moving overseas.

You would have an opportunity to develop an online revenue stream that could travel with you overseas. I hear of Chinese companies hiring Americans who can teach english that pays decent. Other call center jobs or online chat help could be a great way to keep making some money where as once you move to Thiland then your stuck with no job right?

Plus there is somthing magical about the American southwest. Going to the Arizona desert, the New Mexico lands, the massive midwest plains, such amazing experiences that I still feel dumbfounded such places exist! haha. I did it all in a minivan quite cheaply mainly because I stayed in the same town all winter and during the summer traveled only after 2 weeks. Now I'm updating my minivan so I will have a fridge and freezer so I can stay in a major town and live comfortably while I get in shape going to the gym and working a full time job while of course eating healthy. I would have thought what I would have be trying to accomplish was impossible and so bizzar a few years ago.

Anything is possible if you are determined and can figure out the logistics towards.

Lance Why not get a job or 2 you like to jump start your plan & feel more normal? you can get a gym membership to workout & shower. The best way I've found to make money is buying & selling but you have to be quick as the great deals go fast. I was 10 at an auction with my dad, They had a Whirlpool washer/dryer in 1 unit. Put your dirty clothes in & they came our clean & dry. I bis a quarter, the actioneer called no sale but his barker said "this young man bid" & I bought it. Dad was POed but I traded it for a mint '63 black Corvair Monza w/red int & a chrome shifter which I sold for $100. Last deal I did was call on a Bridgeport Milling machine w/ DRO & power feed for $325. He said I was 9th in line, I've learned to ask what else do you have he said a complete machine shop which I said I might buy so up to 1st in line. His dad had passed & the son wanted the space for a wood shop. He had 26 working machines in the shop, 27 more in the back room rebuilt & getting painted & a bobcat trailer. I I asked what he thought was fair, he said $1500 & I paid him cash on the spot took the Bridgeport home, made a call on the way & a guy bought it that day & I'm in the black. I've enjoyed this all my life & the trill of the chase is more fun than the reward. I could take your $1000 & turn it into $5000 or more in a month. I've always had expensive hobbies & not a dime came from the family budget. You can do it on small or large items. Always buy things you can sell for more when you're done with them. PM if you want some tips.

I have a full-time job and I have no desire to work more than 40 hours a week. Mainly childhood trama of living in a narcissistic household where my ONLY value as a human being was the labor I provided. I always work 35-45 hours a week. At some point you loose the will, if your only value in life is to provide labor to others and the return is so unproductive that you can't change the course of direction swiftly.

At one point I was curious about the re-selling game. However when I threw away 90% of what I owned from my 1st journey into vanlife I became a minimalist and have no desire for any of that crap. I'd think it be doing everyone a favor simply by just hauling it to a landful and getting rid of it. haha.

I tend to sell my labor selectively, meaning I look for light activity where I am walking constantly and able to get in a nice workout. Eventually I want to develop my own content be it writing or video but not until I get into the shape I desire first, plus I know it will be mentally very exhausting working full time and then developing my future full-time job on the side. I'm just not ready for that yet.

I also have two gym memberships at different companies which gives me greater options. It's the "luxury" van-life experience I am trying to build that is affordable but makes life easier.

You mention you are not a nomad. However I would absolutely suggest you try it for a year or two before moving overseas.

I am thinking about doing the nomad thing for a year. Mainly to work on my headspace, my health, see some of the SW, etc. It just depends on how things work out. I thought about using my current car (an SUV) and maybe just getting a tear drop and making sure I was in hospitable temps. I love the idea of the cargo trailer conversions, especially the simple, low build out ones, but I'd need a bigger tow vehicle for that. A lot will depend on how my finances come together over the coming 6 months or so, I guess! Worst case, some car camping & long road trips would be easy enough to pull off!

could be a great way to keep making some money where as once you move to Thiland then your stuck with no job right?
Not a bad idea. The retirement visas (they allow you to stay in country for a year) don't allow you to work. If i had some sort of online gig, maybe I could get away with it though. Lots of folks have YouTube channels for expats, but there is the problem...there are hundreds of foreigners running around there with cameras...lots of folks doing the same thing. I'm trying to really nail down my covered call strategy and timing. If i can make enough extra cash flow from that to cover something basic like rent (as a goal) while over there, I'd consider that "work" enough. Besides, after caring for mom and her dementia and seeing the 4 other folks in our family that had dementia/Alzheimers, I am ready to relax and see some of that gorgeous kingdom before that disease comes for me:-/

Stocks like Coke are bit more focused on growth vs dividend payout ie that is why the dividend grows long term. However I question their long term investment... are they over inflated? Will consumers stop buying their products? perhaps.
I don't foresee Coke going anywhere. They seem to be able to branch out into other parts of the market and into other products. But i just use them as an example. I just like that they have a solid dividend record and their share price has trended upward the last couple of decades. There is a tax advantage to their dividends, which are qualified, if you hold the stock long enough - taxed at long term gains. REITs and a lot of the higher yield ETFs like JEPI and JEPQ (two of my faves), have dividends that are treated as ordinary income, so carry a higher tax burden.
It's been a lot of fun to learn about these things and develop my own strategies and figure out what will work for my situation. I wish you luck in yours! I am sure you'll come up with a plan that works and suits your needs! :)

To get your actual gain you must take inflation & taxes out. I don't trust brokers. If they really knew what they should they'd be Warren Buffet & not dealing w/clients. Just before the 2008 crash the market was swinging daily & that small voice we have said get out. It was over $14,000 & I got back in when it hit $6900 & out again when it hit $14000 again, broke my back so got out for good. Got a call from my broker who was day trading using my funds & lost $1200. He said he couldn't put it back in my acct so I told him I'd be down & he said he'd have cash which he didn't but passed the hat thru the building & got it. So I over doubled my $$. Avg 401k goes up 5-8% per year over the past 10 & 30 years. CDs are 5%+ & FDC insured. Money, bank & stock certs are just IOUs from people I don't trust anymore. Nuff Said!

Why would you use a broker? I just use an investment app and makes purchases and sales from my phone myself. They have "no fee's" but they do tend to buy and sell slightly in their favor so they really do take a micro cut into the trade by raising the buying price slightly and lowering the selling price slightly but they claim no fees but yea..

Your method of trading is out of date sir, there is a new method you should quickly learn about then make decisions on your own.

My buying & selling works as well as it always has & will continue to as long as people have wants & needs but it's not for everyone. You have to know how to deal with people, how they think & what motivates them. Most of all you have to love doing it. "Success comes to those who hustle wisely"
I was just trying to help you but Good Luck anyway!

I think this makes your point & why the problem if someone else's side hustle is different from yours.

Nothing but gaslighting...

Wages have not kept up with inflation and increases to cost of living, cost of housing and college have skyrocketed as well. Plus of recent even cost of food is so much higher compaired to wage increases.

I remember some 10 years ago the biggest apartment complex in my area was sold and redeveloped into "luxury" apartments. Nothing significant, just new paint, new flooring and upgrades to appliances and then the rent DOUBLED! Went from some 600's into the 1,200 overnight. The trend continued older rental units prices skyrocketed while wages remained the same. I'm nearly 40 so I'm a millennial NOT Gen Z.

I remember renting an apartment in my early 20's for around 600 bucks. Today that same place rents for 1,100.

In my 20's I was making 13 an hour as a supervisor in retail.(2253) Which was 26% of my take home pay

Today as a supervisor I make 20 an hour. (3466) Which is 31% of my take home pay.

Keep in mind this apartment complex did NOT have any renovations, it's still on the lower end of places.

Additionally... how has the industry changed? Department managers have been removed. Meaning less jobs that pay those higher wages that I am so lucky to have gotten. Productivity is higher, expectations is higher, and care has fallen.

Companies have become soulless. Gone are the days where you could work for a company for 40 years and collect a pension. I remember hearing a story about a flight attentant who was fired for stealing a milk in flight.. When in fact she was the highest paid flight attendent, got first pick of routes and OT and by firing her they were able cut costs with a cheaper worker.

A very good business move. My degree is in business, I don't fault the corporation it's just business. However it's crappy for the workers. What about the air travel industry? They squeeze people into smaller spaces to save on money. Good business move. It's happening all over business! They are pushing customers into more stressful situations which causes them to lashout at service workers far more than in past decades!

Long fast food lines, retail stores short staffed, customers bagging and checking themselves out, oversized bags fees, canceled fights, banks reorganizing deposits and withdraws to tack on fees, pizza chains charging delivery fees that don't go to the drivers, cutting hours to keep empoyees from being able to sigh up for healthcare benefits... The list goes on and on...

Investment companies buying up drugs and skyrocketing the prices to cover the cost of purchase and make a profit, why? It's just business..

How can people and these corporations become so weathy? Because they are better able to keep profits high, while keeping expenses like labor, benefits, and costs low.

Even products are becoming crappy, appliances are falling apart faster, just look at pyrex they are making an inferior product now to cut on costs since they were bought out by an investment company wanting to make a quick buck. Now you hear story about their glasswhere exploding in ovens. The entire system is collapsing as greed is unchecked by decreased regulations.

Like I said I work full time, and I will continue to work. I just refuse to work 60+ hours just because people want to gas light others to thinking it's OK for a company to rob you of more of your time with no added compensation.

Back in the 90's and early 2000's there was so much more hope. It's not that people are upset they have to work, it's that they have to work in the conditions that exist now when other generations had it waaaaaay easier.

They could order a home from a Sears catalog for under 10K and build it themselves. Now days people can buy a car for 20K and live in it. Yea, bit of a difference don't you think?

Back in the 90's and early 2000's there was so much more hope. It's not that people are upset they have to work, it's that they have to work in the conditions that exist now when other generations had it waaaaaay easier.
The business practices you are talking about go back to the early '80's. Wages have stagnated since the late '70's, according to the CIA's World Fact Book.

Our elected officials have allowed businesses to call the shots for decades. If politicians would do their jobs, little of this would have happened.

Wages have not kept up with inflation and increases to cost of living, cost of housing and college have skyrocketed as well. Plus of recent even cost of food is so much higher compaired to wage increases.
Back in the 90's and early 2000's there was so much more hope.
We started down this road ~1980. Trickle down... = profit over wages. There were many changes of law and policy to cause this result.

Gr8ful, you and I think along the same wavelength. For instance, I bought a Jeep at a great deal. Sold the doors and hard top for more than half the purchase price. And I can still sell it today for well over double what I paid for it originally.

I'll be keeping it as a fun vehicle. But the deals and whatnot are out there. This obviously isn't for Lance, as it's not something he wants to do. More for those following the conversation.

It's not a "get rich scheme" Simply put it's just buying up dividend-income stocks. Some pay monthly some pay quarterly, and some are required to pay 90% of the companies profits OUT INTO the dividend instead of increasing the value of the stock.

Most people invest in the stock market in growth stocks and that's where the risk and most potential for making money is focused on.

It's almost just as rewarding as buying up bonds/certficates with the intrest rates for the time being. However when intrest rates fall then the rewards will remain.

Right now I have 1K invested and I make about 7 bucks each month and I still hold onto the stock. Meaning if I can continue to invest 2K into each month my income (monthly) would go like this in 6 months

1 +2 =3 invested 7x3 = 21 income
2 +2 =5 invested 7x5 = 35 income
3 +2 =7 invested 7x7 = 49 income
4 +2 =9 invested 7x9 = 63 income
5 +2 =11 invested 7x11 = 77 income
6 +2 =13 invested 7x13 = 91 income

12 +2 =25 invested 7x25 = 175 income
24 +2 =49 invested 7x49 = 343 income
36 +2 =72 invested 7x72 = 504 income

so in 3 years of just investing 2K instead of paying rent I would be MAKING 504 income without reinvesting ANY of those dividends!

So being mobile that I am, I can simply move to a metro that has a very high cost of housing and benefit by living in my van and getting the higher wages without having to pay the higher rents.

Now if I was re-investing those dividends which I most likely will do anyway that 504 income is going to be much higher in just 3 years! Plus after 3 years I can start to lower my monthly investments so it's not as difficult to be pumping all my paychecks into investing.

As for major work on the van. That is really not that much of an issue. Once I realized the dependability of Japanese minivans. I do monitor the used minivan market and while I scooped my current van up for 6K with only 150K miles back in 2018 I see I could easily scoop up another Japanese minivan for 10-15K with about the same mileage. I am working towards building my emergency fund to be able to put down at least 50% of that within the next year.

As for any breakdowns for more minor repairs moving into a weekly motel is an simple option. Or even renting a rental car for mobility and sleeping. If not both a motel and rental car. I have lived in motels between apartments and during cold and hot spells before.

Yes, that expense can cut into the numbers but with rates around 250-350 a week for a motel that means after 2 years without any motels I could rent one week every month at a motel and STILL make my budget! As I would be getting a monthly income of 343.

But yea, if your curious to know more look into ETF's (with small fee's) and RETI Even individual stocks like ATT & Verizon pay monthly dividentds can help diversify risk. I created a list of 20+ stocks, ETF's and RETI that I can invest in and keep drawing profits while the investment holds value long term and increases growth slightly.

See I don't care about the value of the investment it's the dependability of the ROI aka the dividend. Still the investment needs to retain value to ensure it will be dependable to always be there and keep paying the dividend. Some pay much higher dividend and they eat away at the investment value meaning the long term the stock becomes worthless and the dividend decreases in value. Others retain the value of the stock in growth meaning you don't make money unless you sell the stock which then your out of the game!

It's a numbers game and once you start to see the trend of how much a stock can pay in dividend you see what is a dependable investment.
Sure nothing is without risk completely but I don't want to stop at just 20 stocks! I want a list of 100 where I can diversify even MORE! meaning each stock will hold 1% of my investment so when I make 2,000 a month I will have nearly 300,000 invested into the stock market but each company will be around 3,000 invested only. ETF's and REITS might be able to hold more value if they are more dependable I still know nothing about the stock market but I want to learn as I go.