what are you doing while under lockdown?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brahmon

Reaction score
i’m getting very bored.   my friends are all self-quarantined and i can only surf the net and watch tv for so long.  

any ideas would be helpful.

I'm living like I have the past six years as a vandweller.

Hiking, photography, reading, writing, researching, making meals, cleaning up, repairs... Just running fewer errands. It's essentially my ordinary contented introvert existence. My regrets to the extroverts.

All I can say is thank goodness for cellular data.

I am so bored that I am binge watching Rosanne. Every time they break its the same two commercials. HELP ME

who would have guessed cable tv call center techs are an essential employee?
i'm just relaxing on my weekend before i hit it again on Monday :(

I have been solo and almost housebound with health conditions for several years—basically in training to shelter in place. If the experience of an old pro is any help, I would say that one of the best approaches is to work on a long-term project. Entertainment palls pretty quickly when it’s all you have, and it doesn’t carry you forward from one day to the next. A project gives you something to look forward to every day, something to research or plan or think about even when you’re not working on it, and a sense of purpose and accomplishment. The project depends entirely on your own interests. I’d just suggest that it be something you *want* to do rather than something you feel like you ought to do because it’s good for you and will build your character. (Virtue only lasts for about 2 days max.)

One of the most helpful things I ever read was about isolation and community: you may know what it’s like to feel alone or isolated even when in a group of people. In the same way, it’s possible to feel connected and in community even when you’re alone. If part of your boredom is a sense of isolation, try making yourself aware instead of the connections that join you to the people you care about most. For me, that seems to free me from boredom and help me think creatively about ways to make those connections tangible.

thx all. unfortunately, it’s essentially martial law here. over 100 citations and 5 arrests for noncompliance just for getting some fresh air.

penalty by law is $5000 fine and possible 1 year in jail! almost as draconian as china. no deaths tho so there’s that.

If charged, maybe demand a jury trial (they won't want to be there either) , post $500 bond or whatever, and try to get to get the hell away from the hot spot till it dies down or the jury shows up.

1 year in a jail does not sound like a safe place to be.

A few projects are on hold to stay out of the stores. Did laundry today and people kept their distance. We are not on lockdown and still have few cases. I finally got a half hour to read today, and go for walk,  but all events here seem to have been cancelled. Pools have been drained and the live bands cancelled also. I suppose more than 10 would show up, then someone would fall into the now empty pool. Sigh. Life is tough all over.

-crofter

nature lover said:
I am so bored that I am binge watching Rosanne.  Every time they break its the same two commercials.  HELP ME
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I have no advice. Just

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

There is a whole segment of society that expects someone else to entertain them and therefore have never learned how to create their own entertainment that has meaningful benefits.

So the first thing to do is ask yourself are you one of those people. If yes then figure out how to get off that hamster wheel and actually start doing a lot more interesting things than watching reruns of Roseann. Learning more interesting things. Gaining new skills. Become a curious person who wants to know more about all kinds of things.

Learn some magic tricks with cards or coins
Learn to whittle wood
Take an old pair of jeans and turn it into tool rolls. Hopefully you have things like scissors, needle and thread around.
If you have the bandwidth learn some Bushcraft skills using the materials you find lying around.
clean things, fix things, organize things.
learn the words to a song
look around you and perfect a written description of what you see. your English teacher taught you that way back when. Start a thread here and post it then ask other people to do the same thing. It makes us all focus on what is in front of us and expands our appreciation of language.

maki2 - my heart is broken:) that you would put me down for watching Roseanne - I am in the middle of a build and do much more than just the old shows on you tube. - I never had a TV But since I discovered her old shows on you tube I like her because she reminds me of my wife (who left after 40 years) over weight (I am too), big mouth (mine too), and sarcastic. Makes me what her back even more. :):):)

maki2 said:
If you have the bandwidth learn some Bushcraft skills ...

This is one thing I am doing to entertain myself these days! :) Otherwise, my life hasn't changed a whole lot, as I was relaxing in the desert before the pandemic hit, and I am still relaxing in the desert., so no change there. I have noticed that there are fewer items on the shelves at stores when I go into town once a week or every other week.

maki2 said:
...get off that hamster wheel ....
But I like the hamster wheel, it's so predictable. Wherever I go, there I am.

Speaking of hamster wheels, all our fitness equip was moved to a new location, and is ready for use. It is all farther apart now, for social distancing. So even though the gym is closed, we are still using all of the equipment that was in it. Does that still count as a closed gym?

Still going for walks between chores. Right now the cactus flowers are putting on a show, later we will have the mirages.  My main goal these days is to observe the sunrise and sunset each day. Sunsets are more spectacular, because my eyes are open then. -crofter

- Meeting with friends on Zoom
- Meeting with the online class I'm taking on Zoom (does Zoom count as "letting other people entertain you?")
- Editing my backlog of YouTube videos
- Watching other peoples' YouTube videos (It's a work thing, I swear!)
- Catching up on forums like this one
- Reworking my solar setup
- Reading the newspaper to my Mom, who is just beginning to understand what's going on
- Walking the dog a minimum of 6 times a day

I'm here in the suburbs of Boston with my Mom, who can't be alone. She's 82 and not in great health so I have been on self-isolation with her since this started, and will continue for the long haul.

There's a lot of beautiful stuff going on in the neighborhood. I guess there's some online resource for kids that has them doing these "spread joy" projects. Flowers in the windows, Christmas lights up in March, heart cutouts on the doors of all the houses with kids inside. But the one that really got me was, all the driveways have these really sweet messages written on them in little kid handwriting, things like "we <3 our neighbors" and "stay healthy - we are with you." I was really moved when I saw this; I wasn't expecting it. The first thing that came into my mind was sadness that little kids even have to think like that. But ultimately the positive side of my brain kicked in and took over and I just felt grateful to see the message.

Last night a guy up the street had his 82nd birthday. People put signs on their cars and drove by his house, giving him a birthday parade.

My sister in law had a stroke and has been dealing with the hospital and now rehab on her own; my brother and nephew can't even visit her. I'm thinking of making her a get well parade - she's on the second floor so I could put signs on the roof of the bus and drive by, and not have to get within 6 feet of anyone.

"Before" social distancing and being told to stay home, I disliked going out to run errands. Why is it that now it seems like it would be a fun thing to do? Like others here, not much has changed, lifestyle wise, for me.

I play with the dog, read, feed the dog, do a puzzle, take the dog out, do dishes and other chores, and play with the dog some more. Mostly I read and sit and think, I just finished reading an anthropology textbook and have started The Origin of Species (yes, the one by Darwin). Sidetracked to ethical dilemmas, a real thought challenge. And a few other related subjects. Stretching and opening the mind, ouch!

As for the same two commercials, awful isn't it? I hit the mute button when that Medicare Joe Namath commercial comes on. I ordered the entire Big Bang series. Used to love that show. Funny, now it just seems obvious and way overdone.

I, too, feel for those who thrive on person to person group interactions. This must be very difficult for them.

It might be a good time to take a look at how this is the first of many future problems we will face and figure out what we can do to prevent or persevere through them. A lot of us just go with the flow and never bother to attempt to educate ourselves as we feel we just don't have time, well now we do!!!

One other thing...This has shown me where my prepper plans are lacking or weak. I have a new list going and when things lighten up and I can get out again, I will fill in some of those blanks.