Living on the road, managing a business, with minimum investment

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetundrawolf

Reaction score
Alright so I will outline where I am at in life presently, and how to survive.

My only other recourse is to go on SSI, which to me feels like a dead-end in life, as they will not "allow" me to make any money.

To be fair, a little warning and background, my childhood was something I was lucky to survive, it was filled with violence, brutality, and horror, and it has left me with some lasting effects that do not allow me to integrate into society "like everyone else".

So, I am trying to survive the best I can, with what I have.

Presently, I am living with one of my abusers, and while they "leave me alone", i am looking to leave this place, if required. (Might be tomorrow? might be in a while? There are perks to living here, but I cannot help but think that it is not healthy, even if there is a "monetary" benefit, have money and be in a toxic situation, or be destitute, but free. That is what my options feel like.)
So, I am building a large, extended, 4x4 van, I am nearly done with it, a few more weeks and it should be finished. It is going to be quite large (The size of a small schoolbus.) and very liveable.

This is my second hand-built live-in camper van... My first one was also fully self contained, built on a Dodge chassis, and I found HAPPINESS in that van! Hence, why I am building this other one.
Recently, I publicly called out one of my abusers growing up, and it has caused ripples in the "family" (I use that word loosely! My brothers did not get the brunt of the torment I did, but they know something is "rotten" in the cupboard. The abusers maintain they did nothing wrong and that they were "good". The one I called out, tried to murder me as a child, but missed, the bullet grazing my temple. Something about karma and reaping what you sow...)

Anyway, while calling them out was a "mistake" I do not regret it. It had to be said, the truth had to come out.

However, it may have jeopardized my ability to remain where I am at long term, and I have little to no recourse.

I still have my other camper van I could "Fall back on" but I gutted it due to mold issues.

However, I would rather use my 4x4 van, and while I caused a ripple among the "family", my tenure here is not jeopardized.

So, I have two friends I can go live-with, one in Wyoming, one in California, who both have offered to let me stay with them, they are both good friends, and I can trust them (And they can trust me)

However, I do have a handyman/plumbing/construction business, so far I am the owner and only employee, however I am looking to get licensed and expand the business significantly, to generate residual income. I never made much money at it, but I am trying to blow it up so it is successful, and earn more than a small passive income. Not having to pay "rent" helps save a lot of money. I also had to go on food stamps, recently, due to losing my savings/money to an ex. (Stolen, basically)

My question would be, how do I do this, without paying spot rent? Run it from the road?

Before I go and nest with my friend(s), I want to tour a little, after selling my belongings, and see some of the USA in my 4x4 van (Chevy Express chassis, Timberline 4x4 kit.)

I do not have a lot of liquid assets, but hope to when I sell my possessions and get on the road.

My thoughts:

Stay at KOA campgrounds, and run my business

Stay at Federal campgrounds for 2 weeks at a time, and move the legal distance (Could do this perpetually?)

Put an ad out, on Craigslist, or some such thing, to rent a space in someones parking lot, or field, or etc. Maybe veen in exchange for work, but I do NOT want to be taken advantage of. I am actually highly skilled, but due to trauma from my past, find it difficult to maintain momentum in life, at least at this point in my life, now.

When my van is done, it will have:

1,600W solar, 3KW pure sine wave inverter, 12V brushless air conditioner and heater, septic, water, toilet, shower, sink, full security system.
So, I will not really "need" anything other than maybe occasional water, and maybe some septic services, but neither is necessary, I can easily go into town to get those things.

Find, maybe an RV park where I could park my van and have utilities, although I do not need them. This seems to be rather expensive, however, when there are cheaper (and better) options.

I enjoy being, where I can be naked, and in nature, where other humans are far from me. So, there's that. I am also, almost certainly, neurodivergent. (on top of other mental issues. I do best, alone, so far, in life. However, I can get along with others, so long as they are quiet and do not bother me.)

I have two dogs, medium sized, a Husky, and a Mutt type, Alsatian, Husky, and Akita mix, who is a sassy tomboy type, but has a good heart. The Husky is very intelligent and a jokester, can cannot help but chase horses.

The dogs are my (legitimate surrogate, give me a reason to live) family and I will not be separated from them. I have worked with wolves in my past, and I speak canine fairly well, and canines have been surrogates for me since I was a child, taking me in and showing me love when I got it from nowhere else.

I know, more than a few people are in similar situations, and it is only going to get worse, as housing prices and rent grow well outside of the reach of many people. I am hoping things get better for people who live in their vehicles, law wise, and amenity wise, and help wise, in the future.

I am hoping to find, self discovery healing, unity and such, on the road, and I know that things will get better, until I can find "myself" and find planting in an area, and grow my business into something successful that maintains me, and possibly even affords me a stick built home somewhere to retire in the future. I plan on, mostly, living in my van until that time, and possibly even after. If my first camper van was any indication, I will live in and only the use the house when I feel like it, but I prefer smaller spaces to live in, apparently.

Anyway I have work to do on the van, so I must go.

Get out as soon as you are able. Your "abuser" may sabotage you if they catch on in the wrong way.
In the Western US there is ample "free camping" on BLM and National Forest land
I filed at 62. call the Social Security 800# and talk with them about what your benefit level would be. Some get by on $800 ... better to have $1000 or more.... It isn't particularly easy living out here, but it is less expensive than sticks and bricks.
The healing you need is within yourself.... try not to look at this life style as something that resolves issues, but that gives you the space in your head for you to do the hard work of brain damage mitigation.....
good luck with it all

Only one person can give you advice that you will accept as satisfying all your criteria and needs and that one person is you. Make a list and check it off one item at a time as to if you can meet those needs. If not seriously re-evaluate your needs and adapt them to what it takes to live full time at the business you want to have. Do not focus on the past because doing that always gets in the way of moving away from it.

However, I do have a handyman/plumbing/construction business, so far I am the owner and only employee, however I am looking to get licensed and expand the business significantly, to generate residual income. I never made much money at it, but I am trying to blow it up so it is successful, and earn more than a small passive income. Not having to pay "rent" helps save a lot of money. I also had to go on food stamps, recently, due to losing my savings/money to an ex. (Stolen, basically)

My question would be, how do I do this, without paying spot rent? Run it from the road?

I enjoy being, where I can be naked, and in nature, where other humans are far from me. So, there's that. I am also, almost certainly, neurodivergent. (on top of other mental issues. I do best, alone, so far, in life. However, I can get along with others, so long as they are quiet and do not bother me.)
Your desires are incongruent.
Running a business is not passive. Period. Anyone who tells you otherwise lacks veracity or knowledge. But that's getting ahead of the story, because before a business can be run, it must be built. And building a business is very hands on and extremely challenging for neurotypical folks. Throw disability into the mix, and its near unimaginable.

Building the type of business you described requires developing and nurturing functional relationships with lots of people- peers, venders, customers, employees. It requires spending many hours, fully clothed, in urban or suburban environs, surrounded by people you are likely to deem nuisances.

After build and run, there's own. Owning a small business may be passive, but that is pretty rare. That requires sufficient structure and systems in place to handle all the routine activities of the business. Most service businesses tend to be complex with significant barriers to automation. For the handyman business, there's finding enough customers, delivering competent service consistently, and keeping good employees happy.

I do not want to discourage you, I want to bring some reality to your dream. I do not have the words to describe the stress/fear that entrepreneurs experience when we first accept financial responsibility for other people's families. There is nothing passive about being an employer.

I'll end with two suggestions. First, there are several YT channels that cater to teaching contractors how to build their business, Tom Reber has a large library of videos. Second, given your proclivities, consider an online business. This may require learning some new skills, but ascending a learning curve associated with that may still be less effort than the mental and emotional adaptations needed to build a handyman business. Design your life (and your business) around your strengths.

I think if you qualify for SSI, get it. That may very well be enough to live on. Work for cash and see how that goes. With good handyman skills it shouldn't be too hard to find work when you want it. You may get as much as you want just from the vagabonds, or maybe put up ads at RV parks, etc.

IME if you like being tucked away in the boonies on BLM land, away from the popular places, and you don't leave a trace... the BLM won't bother you. Probably. The 2 week limit is when you get on someone's radar...

Also, it sounds like you are planning a very extensive van build... but if you are in the west and move with the seasons, you can be quite comfortable with a simple system. Go up in altitude when it gets hot. AC takes a lot solar and batteries, and then you have to haul all that around.

The problem is a common one “it takes money to make money”. Licensing cost is doable , the required bonds and liability insurance, commercial vehicle insurance, etc all add up quickly. If you can’t even afford to buy groceries then you might need to look for a business partner who has that kind of startup money to tide you over for a year or two until your business reputation is established.

As to it being a mobile business that does onsite work, the issue there is every state you work in will require you to get a business license and you will need insurance coverage forbthat state. Insurance is regulated state by state. You will also need to file and pay business taxes to each state and likely file state income tax es in most states as well. You would also be wise to set up an LLC to protect your personal assets and liability. It is best to have an attorney to review the documents for your LLC. Unless you are going to do your own accounting you will also need a book keeper and accountant.

You have lots to think about and learn but there are online courses you can take that will teach you how to set it all up. Wishing you great success in your goals.

Last edited:
Just curious........do you still have your old van, the one you gutted due to mold ? If so and if it is in running condition it could be used as a business vehicle that you would tow with your 4x4, and use to work out of.

You may be able to find spot work as a subcontractor to some small businesses that do plumbing etc, real estate, even landscaping. You may only need to have some cards printed listing your trade skills, and cell number. (VistaPrint is quite affordable for cards)

I know a family of welders who have a Camping Trailer and stay in National Parks. They have specialized welding pickup trucks they've built to work with. When they come home one stays behind in the trailer for security. They go to the larger cities where there is a National Park near by. They were charging $240 a day for the truck, and X dollars an hour for their welding with it. If they were called out to bid on a job they asked for a fee that covered their expenses to do that. If they didn't want to offer that per diem, they would decline...,or if they thought they could bid low enough and there was enough work to be worthwhile they would take the risk to go bid.

As for signs for your old van (if you still have it) there is magnetic sheeting that a sign maker could state, "Tundra Wolf's Services" with your skills and Cell number. You can place such signs on the side of a rig when you are working and remove them at the end of the day.
Just bring them inside and place them on the inside walls of the rig for storage.

For this you would need a suitable class 4 hitch and towbar for the work van. (and electric hook up for your brake lights/turn signals on the back of the work rig)

Most Lowe's, Walmarts, and Sams Club locations would be good places to park the rig when you go inside to shop. You could place your business cards on the cork boards at Lowe's, Home Depot etc.
If you have a laptop it may be worth checking on the caller's location using Google Maps to see how far they are away.

Some trades lend themselves better to being a traveling business. If you were able to sell a product like you would buy at a Lowe's at a mark up and charge for show-up and hourly/contract rate to install that product......such as a "reverse osmosis water filter", garbage disposal, sink traps or water tap gaskets, etc.....it wouldn't be as much baggage. This could make for a more mobile business in your field. (just make sure you can get it right and have their satisfaction before leaving) You may want to visit a Stationary store/office supply and get a package of work orders....and have them sign before you start to work....and list anything on it that you are supplying. You could get a rubber stamp kit at a Sign making shop to stamp the work orders with so it looks official.

You could work for a little less cost to the customer.....but beware of working in cities where an inspector may want to see your license.

You may like this sticker:

I Fix Stuff and I Know Things

Last edited:
I used to find people who want to own their own business clueless. Now I find them sad. Every one of them would say (…work when I feel like it…). When you own your own business you frequently work 12 to 16 hours a day at an average.

It is possible to have your own business and work part time and schedule time off, vacations, etc... but it needs to be the sort of business that allows that kind of structure.

Okay, I did not read the original post before commenting. For that I apologize to the author. But I stand by what I posted. When the person says they want to have their own business so they can work only when they want to is fooling themselves.

Okay, I did not read the original post before commenting. For that I apologize to the author. But I stand by what I posted. When the person says they want to have their own business so they can work only when they want to is fooling themselves.
That's the difference between owning a business and owning a job. It's also a question of scale. It's okay if a business generates $X income and isn't growing year over year.

I know business owners who work 12 to 14 hours per day and I know business owners who work 12 to 14 hours per week. It comes down to business type, business purpose, and desired revenue. Not every business needs to have a seven figure or higher valuation and target an IPO. Selling crafts on the roadside is still a valid business. It may not be profitable enough to make the owner rich but hopefully it's enough to cover costs and to living expenses while still offering the freedom to pursue the things that truly matter in life (to that person).

The OP wants to have a handyman type of business. Not something you can sell by the roadside. But signage would help increase sales in the local neighborhood. Post on boards at local coffee shops, laundromat and even at small grocery stores that have a community bulletin board. Small town newspapers have ad columns and that could also help increase getting known locally. So can putting up ads on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. Take a booth at a local flea market to meet and greet, have business cards, flyers or free pencils with your company name and phone number on them.

Community news papers and community news websites will often feature new businesses. All that self directed effort to get your business known is called “Guerilla Marketing”. Years ago I took a class that was put on by a community organization. I used the advice and it got me featured in the major metro newspaper, on TV , radio interviews, magazines related to my products, etc. All of that was free publicity but I had to do it myself, no one did it for me. I also donated to popular local charity events which got my reputation linked to truly being part of my local community.

Last edited:
Like many others here, my experience in owning my own business was many more hours working than I ever did working for other people. However.. I do recognize there are what I think are known today as "side hustles." Or what we old-timers might have called part-time gigs. Those, yah They can provide some $$$ and freedom from regular hours.