Recommendations for solar install?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thursday

Reaction score
I've done everything so far on my van myself, but I think I want to get a professional to install solar. Do folks have recommendations for good places to go west of the Rocky Mountains? WA, OR, CA or AZ? I'm hesitant to do it myself for a few reasons:
  • I have a simple ignition linked solenoid/alternator to fuse to battery setup now and am not sure how to get that to play well with solar
  • I don't have a roof rack on my van and am (probably) not confident enough to install roof mounts directly to my van myself
  • I don't really understand everything I should about BMSs, charge controllers, etc.
I'll manage to figure all that out if I have to, but I'd feel better having someone else do it *if* folks out there can give a solid recommendation for a place that can do a good job affordably.

Thanks for any suggestions!

A lot of people have mentioned Santan solar. You might give them a call or check out their website. Not sure if they do installs though.

You might find someone in fall or winter that will be in Quartzite AZ that would do it or help you get it done. If nothing else check out other’s installations. It really helps to be hands on and familiar with the system later on if problems occur

A lot of people have mentioned Santan solar. You might give them a call or check out their website. Not sure if they do installs though.
San Tan Solar does not do installations. They just sell solar panels and some electrical components and such used for solar installations.

Use your keywords in a search engine. Combine the name of a city or state with the words “RV solar install” and the search will bring up those businesses.

Last edited:
JimInDenver.com He has been doing solar installs for several years now. He is in Quartzsite in one of the RV parks for the summer. I just stopped by and talked to him while I was over there checking on my rig there today.
Jim does high quality craftsmanship on his installations. He is an experienced professional and his rates do reflect that.

The Dilar stores in Quartzsite do work on solar installations snd have supplies for solar installations are closed until October or November. Thayeand everything you will need for the job has to be shipped to Quartzsite at this time of year or else you will need to go to a city like the Phoenix area to buy it off the shelf. That includes obtaining metals to build mounting racks for the solar panels. That type of metal material is not sold in the tiny town of Quartzsite. Not even in the busy winter months.

I've done everything so far on my van myself, but I think I want to get a professional to install solar.
If you don't want to learn all the ins/outs/gory details, just buy a powerstation that includes everything, and plug a panel into it. This allows you to park in the shade and have the panels in the sun also.

If you need lots of power, or are living in town most of the time, then this might not work.

Anyway, it would be good to know details regarding what you are after.

What batteries do you currently have set up with the alternator charging?

Do you need more power than they supply?