Another newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I myself manage with 6 one gallon containers as... sponge baths between getting a shower...alcohol rub down on your skin...

... hot water and soap for washing his pans... not conserve on how much water you drink!
a -- I myself aim for a gallon of drinking water daily.
Zero diuretics such as coffee, tea, soda-pops, so that avoidance helps keep me myself hydrated.
3 -- For worshing hands and pots, we use a pair of spritz bottles.
One with a weak bleachy-sudsy, the second is clear water.
One is for scrubbing, the other is for rinsing... can you guess which?
Worshing a pot uses barely a couple-three ounces of water.
h -- I wonder about absorbing alcohol.
I wonder about snuffing my skin's healthy protective bacteria
I wonder about petroleum-based chemicals or other poisons in rubbing alcohol ('de-natured') to make it non-drinkable (to any but the most dedicated determined alkies).
California bureaucrats list denatured alcohol as a toxic substance.
I myself think California bureaucrats are toxic.
I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
14 -- Using our keg system, some folk load them to four gallons instead of the full five gallons.
At around eight pounds a gallon (a kg per liter/litre), weight adds-up fast... especially if you lift it above knee-level.
Compared to a massive keg, individual gallon jugs are also easier to fill with water at the soda-pop dispensary in a burger-joint.
x -- We chow-down right out of the skillet or pot.
Heathens, we are also known to lick our fingers and observe the Five-Second Rule.
Occasionally, the Ten-Second Rule is invoked, but only if we can win the scrimmage with the dogs.
I doubt we own any dishes, I don't recall seeing any around these parts in a coon's age.

If it is a frequent thing, carry a small battery powered BP machine. My folks both have BP issues so we had, last year when they were both having issues, nightly jokingly BP test parties and found hubby to be Very dangerously high and made a fast as lightening trip to ER when checked there it was even higher and he was rushed away and hocked up to IV and all docs said if we had waited he would not have made it through the night. High BP is no joke carry and use the machine. The little machine is very compact and can be found on Amazon or in most large drug stores it is easy to use and well worth the space it takes up. BP can sneak up on you and you don't even feel it until it is to late.

I check my blood pressure now and again at Pharmacies for free A lot of Walmarts have blood pressure machines in the pharmacy area. So do most of the major pharmacy chains. Even in the Grand Canyon South area the medical clinic will let you check your blood pressure for free.

The Arizona mogollon rim is about 3hrs away, its 7000ft.
I know it well! Great place... or at least it used to be. Most of my experience there was in the '80s.

Sun is fine if you go high enough, so the temp peaks in the low 80s or so. A white roof on your rig will help too. Also I'd recommend getting some solar panels that you can locate remotely with long wires, that way you can park in the shade and put the panels in the sun. That's all I have, I don't have any mounted.

I prefer the high mountains to the PNW coast, but different strokes and all that...

Headliner adhesives for vehicles need to be rated for high temperatures. If they are not rated for that use they can soften and loose their grip.
You're right about the headliner glue having to withstand high temps. I've glued up a test sample and it's been sitting in the sun for a few weeks. Sun temp is around 140 now, and the glue doesn't soften. So far so good.

I recently discovered that my blood pressure somehow has become very high, this occurred after age 65, I am not sure when. The low number is okay but the high one was crazy high. So be sure to check your bp now and then, especially if you are older. I had no symptoms of this. It would be easy for a nomadic person to just sail along, never suspecting that a stroke was very near at at hand.
Excellent advice beachy. I've been blessed my whole life with good health and still no issues. But it's a smart idea to get checked out incase something does sneak up.

I know it well! Great place... or at least it used to be. Most of my experience there was in the '80s.

Sun is fine if you go high enough, so the temp peaks in the low 80s or so. A white roof on your rig will help too. Also I'd recommend getting some solar panels that you can locate remotely with long wires, that way you can park in the shade and put the panels in the sun. That's all I have, I don't have any mounted.

I prefer the high mountains to the PNW coast, but different strokes and all that...
The Rim is still a nice place..kinda my go to place. I've decided to go ahead and get a solar panel and mount it. It can also act like a little shade cover...it's 7ft long. Except for my trip to Alaska, I never spent any time in the PNW. I like trees and green. I've spent most of my boondocking in Colorado's high mountains. It's sad to see all the dead trees.

I recently discovered that my blood pressure somehow has become very high, this occurred after age 65, I am not sure when.
A large part of the BP obsession is a scam. They spend zero seconds trying to figure out the cause and just hand out drugs. High BP is a symptom of something right?

In my case I had a pretty sudden increase, from ~135/80 to 150/95. I had zero of the "lifestyle" contributors, so drugs were the only "answer". I was prescribed Losartan, and when that didn't work they upped the dose, still didn't work, tried Lisinopril... same effect, exactly zero.

You can't rely on a BP check at the docs office! BP varies a lot depending on all sorts of factors, and one data point every month or two is irrelevant. I took mine with a machine at home 3 times/day for at least a month for each drug and dose, and for a month in between with no drugs. That's how I know that the drugs did nothing. There was less than a 1 point difference between all of them on average.

This was a few years ago, and I generally quit paying attention. I check it every once in awhile and sometimes it's over 160/100, but usually a little less... and if I just did a couple hours or more of pretty intense exercise it's ~115/65.

rruff, mine was 200 over 85 at the doctor and at the place. They gave me a calcium blocker, cheap generic, that brought it down to 165, same measurement over days. I am lucky that I got sick so it was checked. Also lucky that there was a walk in community clinic where I was seen and treated with only a short wait. The cause is old age, stiffer arteries that can no longer adjust as young ones do.

I recently discovered that my blood pressure somehow has become very high, this occurred after age 65, I am not sure when. The low number is okay but the high one was crazy high. So be sure to check your bp now and then, especially if you are older. I had no symptoms of this. It would be easy for a nomadic person to just sail along, never suspecting that a stroke was very near at at hand.
If you are on medicare, you can probably (no promises) get a 24 hour blood pressure test to get an "honest" reading. My cardiologist told me that my systolic pressure (in this 24 hour test) averaged 126 and that I did not have high blood pressure; not so bad for a 70 year old guy. A friend with whom I exercise is 85; he usually has low systolic pressure (below 80 to 105) when he wakes up but sometimes has high blood pressure in the afternoon (150+). He also has very high readings at a doctor's office (white coat syndrome, white coat hypertension).
What is the point here? Don't trust one reading (e.g. I sometimes had high readings at the doctor's office) but get an objective test like the cuff and device you wear for 24 hours in the "24 hour test." Find out if you do or do not have high blood pressure and treat it if you do. My friend refused to routinely take BP medicine but agreed to take a BP pill whenever his BP is high, maybe twice a week? Talk with your doctor and find a solution for you and your doctor. Also watch out for tachycardia.