Nature Lover and friends keep in touch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I saw a big brown bat fly by this evening just a few minutes before full dark. I am camped near the Grand Canyon some hillsides and cliff where there would be some recesses. There are some old structures here and there in the area over along the historic Grand Canyon Railroad line. I do not drive out that far as I do not want to stress my vehicle suspension on those rougher forest service roads that are pretty rutted from the 4 wheeler activity. This area has deer hunting in the fall so mud ruts can get pretty deep the further in you go away from the highway.

I am camped in the Coconino forest this evening. I just heard an owl gently hooting. It has been years since I have heard one! The last time I actually saw one it was a Snowy Owl that showed up in my Seattle neighborhood. He hung around that part of town for a while as there were several large natural wooded parklands plus beach areas too. Enough averages of woods that sometimes cougars found their way to that part of town traveling along deep wooded ravines from the many miles away wild areas in the mountains to the East. Those ravines were wildlife corridors.

Last edited:
Maki sounds like you might need to make sure your camera is close.
It is always in my pocket. Nowadays my phone does double duty as my camera. But I would not be inclined to try to get a photo of a cougar should I spot one that was near me. That is long distance telephoto lens stuff as is taking photographs of a bear. Fortunately I have never been close to either of those creatures.

My son lives in Issaquah and mountain lions have attacked bikers and hikers in the wooded areas there.

Cougar, mountain lion, puma are all names for the same wild cat. There are a couple of other names in use for that same wildcat species.

Last edited:
In Issaquah, the term used locally, and in the news reports, was "mountain lion".

Before I posted, I confirmed that "puma" and "mountain lion" were just different names for the same thing.

Wasn't there a musical number about calling something different terms, and then "let's call the whole thing off"?

That song was not about calling the same thing by different names. The song was about pronouncing the exact same words differently in the USA and England ….tomato and potato.

But inThe ISA and England there are also sometimes words that are pronounced the same, that the same meaning but are spelled differently, one example being “grey and gray”. That one still has me inconsistently using one spelling or the other as I read novels and articles from both countries and I also think about the colors of objects and describe them in writing.

Last edited:
Wayne, that song was written by the Gershwin brothers, George and Ira. My favorite version is Fred Astaire's, from "Shall We Dance?"

They don't make 'em like that anymore

Johnny

Just for those of you that like to play with words cougar, puma, mountain lion, all meaning the same animal. Also meaning an older lady hunting for younger men.

Hazel nut, filbert nut same nut

And the most versatile word in the English language
" Ass "
An animal that is a good for working A part of our anatomy
A good ass A bad ass
An asshole Ass whippin'
kickin' ass Not the same as Ass kickin'
talking out his/her ass Ass hat (not sure what that is)
Hauling Ass Draggin' ass
Working my/your ass off Fat ass
boney ass Kissing ass
tight ass Blow it out your ass
I know there are at least a hundred others but you get the drift I know if this is to much it will maybe get pulled off but not intended to offend just something someone some comedian said once that is fun to think about

Maybe you have noticed? I have not been posting here for sometime. I am sorry to report I am dead.

Thanks to all my old friends here, I may be coming back to life. I don’t know how many of you will understand this but emotionally and mentally I’ve been about as low as they can get. When I first became a full timer over five years ago, I bragged. about the fact that I had escaped from a nursing home now I am facing the prospect of ending up there again. Maybe even in a straight jacket :).

Those of you who believe in power prayer, can help by praying. Those who believe in the power money, can send money. Those of you who don’t give a damn, can you sit on your hands.

I think I’m going to be spending my time preparing for a Life as a fantasy nomad. Hey, they have armchair quarterbacks, I might become a “wheelchair nomad“. I know I’ve seen Bob’s videos of some who have been able to do it with a wheelchair, but you have to have money to do it with a wheelchair. It takes extra special equipment and more. But it doesn’t cost any money to fantasize. And escape from reality is all that’s needed and I’m already “half nuts”.

We will see what happens stay tuned, and while I’m saying all these absurd and stupid things, I must add that I love you all.

God bless the nomad‘s and those who fantasize about it.

Upon entering the room, the queen drew a long breath and exclaimed, “either the entire Court Has fluctuated or someone has SHIT.”

Hang in there nature lover! We are all pulling for you! Thank goodness for the internet it helps!

Well, if you keep posting onece in awhile we will all at some point in time still gain some bit of information from you as we all keep you company on your trips up and down the halls on your scoter thing..... And no sassin' the Nurses unless they need it

Naturelover, you are definitely not a forgotten person. It is great to see you posting again.

The frustrations of being in a nursing home situation are immense after a lifetime of freedom using our bodily physical abilities. I have no training in the subject of helping anyone cope with that stress. But I do look forward to seeing you post here when you feel up to it.