Trailer towing gone sadly wrong

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^In my case there are two of us, but even when solo carrying a motorcycle was convenient as I didn’t have to pack up camp just to do a side trip. It is all about how much space you require as in if you carry tools or equipment in order to earn money. Yes if you can live out of a backpack then almost any vehicle will do to get from place. A van offers a place to secure items and sleep. If you are living out of a backpack it is probably a good choice. If you are staying on BLM land 14 days at a time and need things like a generator or storage for larger amounts of water and food goods then a trailer makes a lot of sense. When the weight of what you carry becomes an issue because of fuel economy, overloading a vehicle or overcrowding then a trailer is an excellent solution especially when combined with a second light weight means of transportation. In my experience using a second means of transportation for going to or beyond remote areas is much more safe and less costly than taking a heavy overloaded vehicle.

Last edited:
In my experience using a second means of transportation for going to or beyond remote areas is much more safe and less costly than taking a heavy overloaded vehicle.

Yes, it is! In my case that is a bicycle to get to even more remote areas, or my feet. But I want the peace of and serenity of having my rig parked in a remote area too. Some people want to be social all the time, and don't like being alone... but being "away from the things of man" is important to me. Tradeoffs, for sure.

Towing a trailer is inherently dangerous... not just dangerous for the inexperienced, or people who have mistakes/errors in their setup. And a trailer is rarely the best option for someone who wants to live in their vehicle and boondock, due to the inconvenience. There are some situations though, like if you stay parked for a long time... or if you need lots of space and amenities, and money is short.

Buy the 3/4 ton and put a reasonable camper on it....
I think it's the mid-level experience that is the most dangerous time for towing a trailer though. Inexperienced towers are overly cautious, don't generally exceed safe speeds, and tend to be aware of every little tug and pull on their vehicle. Experienced drivers know that experience doesn't mean you are able to tow faster safely so it's more of the same... reasonable speeds, aware of pulls and tugs on the vehicle, and try to keep aware of what's going on with the load.

The mid-experience drivers seem to think that more skill = faster safe driving speed, get used to the tugs and pulls on their vehicle so push them to the back of their mind, and try to drive the same way they would if they weren't towing anything.

Of course the above is all just conceptual and not based on anything other than conjecture and a very small observational sample size, but it seems likely to me.

Would you mind describing why? I think it would be helpful.

The reason I said they were inherently more dangerous is because of accident avoidance. But honestly, in the great majority of situations, the best response is to slam on the brakes and go straight. Where braking is concerned, I guess if the trailer brakes work well and are properly calibrated, you'll likely be able to stop as fast as anyone carrying the same weight. The rest comes down to your skill as a driver and setup. I do think it takes more skill and knowhow when you pull a trailer.

Convenience is about manuevering in town, or out in the boonies. A truck with a camper on the back will do much better there. But like I said, if you park for long periods and don't care about the ability to traverse challenging terrain, a trailer can work very well and give you a lot more space and luxury than an RV would for the $. Then the vehicle you tow it with can be used to explore and run errands.

For myself, the first priority is being able to get where I want to go without destroying my rig, and that unvolves rocks, ruts, ravines, sand, switchbacks, hills, trees, occasional mud and snow, etc.
Your kinda rruff on things... haha. In your situation the TC is a good way to go. Should a person have a trailer they need to know the limitations and either stick to them or be ready to buy things like stabilizers and steps as typical repairs...

I have often underestimated people’s desire to take RVs places they should never been able to go here at Lake Powell. I don’t think there are many places a determined camper can’t go with a trailer. Pretty common to see 28’ to 32’ trailers at the end of 4 wheel drive only roads on the water front here.

Pretty common to see 28’ to 32’ trailers at the end of 4 wheel drive only roads on the water front here.

Sure... but the reason you commonly see them is because they can't make it back out...

Surprisingly they do get out and usually without calling a $1,000 tow however I do see black plastic black tank dump valves sometimes! Lol!!! Usually large families stacking rocks and multiple tow vehicles take their time and manage to get in and out with little damage.

still thinking again
Having just turned 85 years old, no one will hire me due to tax considerations. AND, ........I repeat AND there is a new law just introduced by both "parties" that old people are not allowed to roam. I have discovered that it's hard to steer a straight line in a high wind or flood using a cane or worse, with a walker.
For those of you who come to a complete, stop look both ways more than once will be ticketed for obstructing traffic or honked.
It is very expensive to pay attention these days. What ever you are doing, please do it in the dark, you are scaring the youngsters.
Where are my glasses. Can't SEE YA
Ken

Roam while you still can. When I went to visit my mom for the last visit she was 85+10/12 ... she had just moved herself into an assisted living home, driving most of her stuff across town by herself. Then she gave me the car. Less than a month later, she passed away from a stroke after spending the afternoon drinking hard liquor.
One of the other ladies in that assisted living home was in her 90's and was still driving safely. I don't see how legislators can deprive people of roaming rights based on an age number. We're not all exactly the same.

There are scientific medical tests that can help you determine when you have become a hazard to others just ask your doctor to find them. There are several alternatives to driving on public streets you just need to find what will work for you. Many states are beginning to require them at certain ages when you renew your driving license because the odds are there are several that are not willing to be responsible and do it on their own. It still amazes me that more states don’t require RV or private vehicle heavy duty towing licenses. Safe self driving vehicles and public transportation needs to hurry up and get better. “Beam me up Scotty!” Lol!!! Until then a electric recumbent trike and bikeways are one of the few good solutions along with private towing services.

Last edited:
I was watching a video last night about biking in the Netherlands and besides learning how their bikes are different from most of ours I learned a few other things. For example, how making bicycle travel safer has impacted other issues. They discovered that when such bike paths are totally separated from cars it also makes it easier for mobility scooters, tiny city cars, wheelchairs, and pedestrians to get around.

I know the day will come (if I don't die first) when I will need to give up my car/van keys. For my safety as well as the people I might share the road with. But being stuck in a little box and unable to move about, like Travelaround described her mother, doesn't appeal to me. So, maybe I should start looking for someplace to settle down that fits the Dutch model while I still can. :)

, ........I repeat AND there is a new law just introduced by both "parties" that old people are not allowed to roam...
Ken

I wonder what the penalty will be for roaming… I can see maybe 150… but 85 seems kinda young. Happy Birthday Ken, Merry Christmas and Happy Roaming!!!

Before we get too sidetracked on the subject of not being allowed to roam, can Ken or someone else give us a link to information about this proposed law? No disrespect, just things like this can take on a life of their own when things people "heard" something, but nobody did due diligence and verified the original subject source, and it could turn out to be disinformation that spread like wildfire, or a mistake.

In todays world, information is commonly disbursed thats intended to elicit a reaction, and its not true or wildly distorted. The opinion influencing industry on all sides of the spectrum are all very busy at this task, not to mention the independent people wishing to change the world even if it requires untrue information.

Take a look at Tucson and “the loop” 132 miles of restricted bikeway that goes around the city and connects with hundreds of miles of regular shared bikeways. Still more needs to be done as Tucson has many bike related deaths and injuries each year I believe. Many in Arizona communities use UTVs, golf carts electric bikes and scooters as a smaller, slower, possibly safer means of transportation as well.

Thinkin again (some more)
yer right, I am just being me. But I did go to the DMV to get my endorsements linked up with my license (psychical) (doubles/ triples, tanker air brakes and so on. All went well although I did have to take some dexterity test that I don't remember taking in the past. I can still shift an 18 speed just fine.
I just wanted those that read my posts to understand that I'm forever grateful and thankful to all of you for helping to protect my freedom to roam without getting permission at check points along my way for those that know better how I should live my life.
Freedom in all it's flavors comes with risks and responsibilities.
Not only using those freedoms for myself but doing my very best to protect those freedoms for all of you as well.
Today I choose to stay off the high speed roadways, not only take a look at things I may never see while getting "there" fast but also meeting people in their natural environment. Good people and youngsters everywhere.
For example, today, I was cruising along this paved road, heading west at some horrendous speed of 40 miles and hour when I came upon a sign that said "bridge out 3 miles ahead".
"Well" I said, I'll have to find a place to turn around to find a different road. I looked for a wide spot that would handle my pickup and camper. The next this I saw was the barricades so I pulled to the side and said again "well" and "darn" and "humm".
I know that backing up 2 or 3 miles was going to be hard. So more humming and darning with an added who I could blame.
1/2 hour later here came a girl kid on a four wheeler running about the speed of light. She stopped, looked at me like I had two heads and told me that I couldn't go the way I was headed, that the bridge was gone. (duh) Then she said "I'll get my dad". She was gone again at near the speed of light.
I sat there like a bump on a log for another 45 minutes when here she came again like a bat out of hell, she stopped again and said "dad's coming" then took off down through the crick (creek) up the other side and was gone.
About 1/2 hour later, here came "dad" on a tractor, helped me unhook my trailer. I turned my pickup around, he used the tractor to turn my trailer around and helped me hook back up.
I tried to pay him for his trouble. His feelings were hurt but he said if I'd stop and have spaghetti and meat balls with him and his wife it would be ok. I did, he had two more kids and a big slobbery dog named Rex. Both there names were "honey"
Ken

Been Thinkin (more)
Ya I stepped out of line. When I got my eyes checked, the doc said I had minor cataracts. I asked if they were bad enough to prevent me from driving. He said no but if they got bad enough, he was required to report his findings to the DMV. He did say that there were sturgeries to replace clouded lenses but not yet.
To tell the truth, any time some one tells me I need to get cut on or parts removed I get real nervous.
I know that most of my age group are pushing up daisies, and one of these days it's going to be me. Mean while I still get excited over new things and I don't want the adventure to end.
So..... I'm going to just keep going till I can't move any longer.
This old 1996 pickup and pull behind trailer are going to keep taking me to new adventures like I had today, new people and new sights.
The younger people can't imagine what it was like to live the life before running water and electric everything, paved roads,
V-8 engines. Even promises made and kept. How new and wonderful every day is.
Just think-- drive north on highway 41 from Chicago and come to "Half Day Road". Today It's Interstate 94 and takes less than an hour. How about tubeless tires.
Anyone remember pumping up their tires with a hand pump?
Anyone remember looking at a radio while listening to it?
How it feels to find a truly quiet place with no lights anywhere then look up at the stars in the night sky -- there is the milky way so close you could almost touch it.
Kerr and Mason jars. Making your own butter and lard to cook with. how good the pies and cakes you made from fruit you picked yourself tasted.
I'm a guy - engines were measured it cubic inches. From here to there were miles away. Girl friends meant you held hands and carried books and figuring out where noses went when you kissed one. Drugs were something you heard about in Look, Life and the Saturday evening post. Women wore dresses and men wore pants.
I could go on about being scared In December 1941 because my mom and dad and grand parents were scared.
I learned at school to be curious about everything and ask questions and read books. I'm still curious and still poke around in nooks and crannies. I still stop at libraries to read about stuff. Roaming this country is a freedom I treasure.
I stop and pick up trash so the next person to pass by this way will have a clean place to let their kids run some energy off and have a home made sandwich. You can't buy that! It's a gift that I give to those I will never know. Makes me feel good.
Hey people, I know you have jobs that tie you down. You can't just run off like I am doing but you can go to a park or rest area where ever you are for a few hours with the kids or your wife or girl friend. Look in a ditch to see if there are some critters in there. Take a deep breath and let it out slowly. Look around you. See a rock and wonder where it came from or how old it is?
Ask how many grains of sand there are in the whole world and then know all of us live on one of those grains of sand. Look up on a clear night and know that you can only see a small few of the other grains in the heavens.
For the time I have left, I am going to get to know a little part of my grain of sand, and at the same time wonder about being alive. To wonder and explore everything.
This nomad business stuff is great. I make pretty good peanut butter and jelly sandwitches. Coffee is not bad either.
Ken

I’m dealing with some of the same things. Doctor says I could use eye surgery soon. Finally have to wear glasses to get my license renewed, don’t drive after dark and don’t like driving in traffic. Gave up my CDL long ago but still do morning exercises to try to stay mobile and upright. As one of my younger friends says “you are just at a point in life where you are circling the hole like water about to go down the drain.” Well the current is getting faster! lol!!! I “let” my wife drive most of the time just to keep her from having a heart attack. I plan to get the eye surgery as soon as we get settled for a while closer to town. Just being around people is an adventure for me and since I still have a few friends left I’m gonna invite them to hang out and see what kind of adventures off road we can get into. As I’ve said before once you become a nomad it’s tough to just stop and really you don’t have to you just need to rethink how you travel between adventures and where you have them. Finding areas you enjoy being in and being willing to accept your limitations while there or doing things differently makes life better for everyone. Bet you don’t realize it but that family probably feels blessed they met someone new they could help out. I still get a kick out of stopping to help out people when they have problems. Yes I know it will probably be the death of me but we all got to go somehow, might as well be doing something that makes you feel good! One of my friends when he got to a point he couldn’t drive but still wanted to travel started going by plane once or twice a year to a new country. Usually spent the months before learning the language and finding the cheapest way to do it so he could stay there several months at each place and get to know the people. Still kept his rig but made friends that gladly would come bring it over and park it at their place so they could visit. He also kept a list of extended stay places he could use his electric trike or UTV as well as a towing company just because he was pretty stubbornly independent. I imagine some of our members tend to caravan together just for these reasons. Just something else to consider as we age.

I’m dealing with some of the same things. Doctor says I could use eye surgery soon. Finally have to wear glasses to get my license renewed, don’t drive after dark and don’t like driving in traffic. Gave up my CDL long ago but still do morning exercises to try to stay mobile and upright. As one of my younger friends says “you are just at a point in life where you are circling the hole like water about to go down the drain.” Well the current is getting faster! lol!!! .... I imagine some of our members tend to caravan together just for these reasons. Just something else to consider as we age.
This post was a total inspiration.
PS If the eye surgery is for cataracts, the recovery period is remarkably short and you might be surprised just how much younger and more capable you feel afterward.