Trailer without tow vehicle - what could go wrong? :)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluti314

Reaction score
I'm wondering what people's thoughts are about this idea.

I can retire in a year, and want to test out life in a small space before I take the plunge. So  I thought  I'd spend the year living in some kind of RV, renting in a park.  

I have a condo (and a mortgage) now, with a renter in it. 

I can afford  a  class C if I sell the condo, but that sounds like too large a leap for me. Plus, I'm still committed to a year here, with commuting to work, so I need to keep a car for a year.

Or I can afford payments on a trailer, and keep the condo. If things work out, then I can sell the condo, pay off the trailer, and have a little extra cash for my nest egg. If things don't work out, I can sell the trailer, eat the losses, and move back into the condo. 

The thing is, my car isn't big enough to tow any kind of trailer. No big deal, since I don't plan to take it out for the year; I just want to see if I have what it takes to live in something this small before I commit the lifestyle.

Would it be reasonable to buy a trailer, and hire someone to tow it to an RV park? Or am I out of my mind? If I decide that this is the life for me, I would get a tow vehicle, but I don't want to spend money on that unless I know I'm in it for the long haul (pun intended).

Are there other alternatives I'm not thinking of?

Some more facts that might be important. 

* I play the harp; it's a side gig that brings in $$. It's not a huge harp, but it's sizeable enough that I need to live in something larger than a van. 
* I live in Phoenix, so winter weather will not be an issue.
* I have spent a summer long ago traveling and camping with a geo metro, and loved it, and a month living in a tent at a meditation retreat. I also car camp. 
* I have two cats that I'm committed to for the rest of their lives, so that's another reason that a van would be to small for me. I figure that we have about 7 or 8 years together. But no more animals after that.

I also recognize that this is a good problem to have! I am not going to be rolling in the dough when I retire, but I am lucky to have alternatives in my life. 

Thanks!
Shannon

the trailer idea would work. in fact I have a buddy doing that right now and all he has is a Harley.

how does the Harp handle vast swings in humidity?

highdesertranger

I have met people who had a 5th wheel, stayed in a park for many months & hired someone to move it when the time came. It appeared to work for them.  I'd talk to the park you're thinking about doing this with, some parks have funny rules about bringing an RV in.
I've usually seen someone on craigslist hiring out to move a trailer/5th wheel for someone who didn't have a vehicle capable of it.

Be a good experiment in seeing if the 'size' was good for you.

You might find a travel trailer already in a RV park that can be rented for a short term. Avoid buying something that may not fit your needs. These may be also found outside of RV parks. Pahrump's free "Over The Hump" saver monthly has ads posted by people renting an RV on their private property with FHU.

Travel trailers are vehicles and a purchase would involve a title, and possibly annual registration, and the associated fees.

very good suggestion from Wayne. he scored some points for that one. highdesertranger

We rented a space at a very old unique park with many very old unique individuals most of which are snow birds. When they realize their health and care is no longer possible in this remote location in an RV in the desert they usually want to immediately move back up north to be with family in their former or nearby homes. There are really some amazing deals on older RVs. I would check out bulletin boards of older campgrounds and RV parks for deals as well as post a wanted add. One of my friends bought a trailer that came with a shed full of tools and trailer parts as well as 2 older ATVs. He sold the ATVs for what the trailer cost and actually sent a nice Christmas bonus to the seller after he sold the tools. This doesn't happen often but it does happen.

You should have no problem in the Phoenix area finding an RV park that has some trailers in it for rent. Especially in the summer time when the snow birds are gone. Go ahead and try it on a month by month basis. If it does not work you can always move into an apartment or hopefully back into your own place.

Do the math which costs less. Rent or buy.
If you go cheap, buying is hard to beat.

Nearly anything you see for sale can have a "tow it to this spot 20 miles away for the asking price and I will buy it" component.

Once a TT has reached 20 years old, with very few exceptions, it has reached its bottom value.
As long as you keep it in the same condition, it will be worth the same in 8 more years as it is today.
There are a TON of them out there for under 5 grand still in very good shape.

fluti314 said:
... test out life in a small space before I take the plunge.

Move yourself and everything you think you'd need for day-to-day living into your kitchen or your bedroom. Close everything else off and pretend it doesn't exist.  See how that goes.

I lived in a trailer for a while, many years back, and loved it. I think you have a good plan. I think the cats would adjust as well. They're indoor cats, right?

Ditto for renting an RV to try it out, then if you like it purchasing a gently used one with the amenities you have determined best suit you, because you have some actual experience.

Not only should you be able to find something to rent, but being in an RV Park will allow you to observe the comings and goings of all manner of RV’s, which will help you in deciding what you want.

Most owners are glad to show and talk about their rigs.

Good luck!

I find restricting oneself is a learning process, as is learning what you should keep and what you should throw away, as is being comfortable throwing away basically ... almost everything. Even a small apartment will have many times what will fit in all but the largest trailer.

Anything you can do to get any of that process started will make you feel much more comfortable and probably more prepared and overall happy to move into mobile living in the future.

Thanks everyone, for your input. I'm glad that I'm not off base, and the idea of renting is a real help for me. And I will check out the Pahrump Hump. I teach, so traveling around in the summer is pretty easy, but the school year is h*** for any projects (why I'm thinking if moving in the summer in Phoenix) or travel.

To answer questions
Yes, cats are indoor and very sweet. If we ever meet up and you want to borrow them, they will hang out on your lap. ?

Harps like humidity, and if I were more diligent, I would keep a small humidifier in mine. What they don't like are lots of sudden changes, but they do adjustt - they ate just hard to keep in tume. Nor do they like high heat - the glue comes undone and they implode. So AC is a must both for the harp and the cats. Otherwise, I'd be thinking about a van and parking in people's driveways.

I've been getting rid of tons of stuff, and my furniture is almost all from Goodwill, so letting it "recirculate" is not a problem. I was always able to move using a Geo Metro until I bought a house, in my 40's.

Thanks again; you're the best!

I'm late but I'll throw in my story.

I (we) had a seasonal site in a campground about 40 minutes from home for 15 years. It's a nice place right on a huge river. I spent a lot of time there during the week (self employed). There were many full timers living there for the summer season. We are in the northeast so campgrounds are closed in winter. Most residents also had campers in Florida and went south for the winter. The full timers became friends and had get togethers, cook outs, card games, parties, etc. We would participate occasionally. We paid about $2K per season which comes to $350 per month. Not bad really.

We started out with a cheap older 21 ft camper for the first 2 years. After 2 years I knew all about different campers. I ordered exactly what we wanted/needed at that time brand new with everything how we wanted (like all vinyl and NO carpet for example). I ordered it online from a "RV wholesaler" website that then had it built and delivered from 2 states away right to our campsite. Delivery cost was $900. You could easily buy a used one and get a great deal though. If it will never leave the campground you don't have to stress about road worthiness. Go checkout some campgrounds where you might want to reside. Look on the bulletin boards at the store, etc. The campground where we seasoned had bulletin boards with campers for sale all season. Most included the remainder of the lot rent with their camper so you just move right in. That would be the easiest way and actually how we got started. I would never lease a camper but that's just me.

The campground winterized and stored our camper for the off season for $140 per year. All I had to do was close it up for the season and they towed it up to their storage area on site. They towed it back to our site each spring.

I could easily live there April thru October. It's familiar and comfortable. I am personally considering that as an option so I can be near friends and family part of the year and the travel during the winter. That would be ideal I think. Especially since everyone around here hibernates all winter and you don't see them much.