All metal trailers without OSB/plywood walls?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overlandsiberia

getting all-metal trailer built
Reaction score
I've been browsing and calling around and finding small all-metal trailer is surprisingly hard.
Does anyone know a company that sells them? It's a crucial health matter for me.

I found all-steel trailers by Cell Tech but they are at least 7'x14', bigger than what I need.

Found Alumline company that custom builds aluminum trailers and they can build small ones, but it's 2-3 months lead time (multiply this by two for real life, I'm guessing), I don't have this time.

Regular trailers are all lined with OSB or ply all over and I was told this was structural (means the stuff isn't constructed really well), so can't rip it out. I can't be around OSB or fresh plywood due to health reasons.

I guess this leaves me with horse/cattle trailer options so far, the smallest ones seem to be 6'x12' and have openings which I would have to cover with real wood or something like plexiglass. I wanted 5'x10' but don't see any options.
Found some nice horse trailers with fully enclosed options, even windows but they are 20+, one can buy a small RV trailer for that and I'm not looking for RV trailer (can't be in them for health reasons due to materials offgassing).

I guess so far I'm left with 6x12 horse trailer option or going with a cargo van + tiny cargo to haul water and praying I can insure it otherwise driving without insurance for a year until I see (I have a way to register it without insurance....tough times call for tough options. My asthma flared up again from being in Texas nearly finishing me off and I need to spend another half a year in the Western pine woods before heading overseas, that air is healing beyond description, they had pulled me from the death bed before)

Anyone knows of a company that can quicky sell all-metal cargo trailer?

After much calling around found 2 companies that can do all-metal or almost in small trailers (just OSB floor which is easy to remove), Legend and ProLine.
Was not impressed with most other companies I called to see if they can do custom all-metal, they don't even have customer service, just leave a message, not sure I'd want to buy a trailer made by unreacheable company. I made this mistake with car dolly and couldn't even have my questions answered.

To all people who showed disability disrespect on here: guess what, getting all metal trailer built for me.
No OSB, no plywood, no vinyl, no rubber, no fake paneling made of whatever chemicals, no fake wood, no other toxic, poisonous, horrendous and disgusting smelling junk I would not keep a pet hamster in to breathe formaldehyde.
All metal trailers are built better and stronger than flimsy boxes that require structural OSB not to fall apart.

It's like with houses. Most US houses are cardboard junk full of the toxic and flimsy stuff.
Hard to find a builder for all wood builds like they used to do for 100s of years, except for log cabins.
All you have to do is change construction technique, I'm well familiar with that and I had to look high and lo for Amish builders before who knew their woodwork!

Done with the forum since I caught disability hate.

Last edited:
I have not seen this 'disability hate' and if I had I would delete it. If you would like to report the offending remark, just click on the little checkbox located in that comment, and we will look into it.

We're not here to cause problems for people, we're here to help people within the confines of any similar internet-based forum.

Please reach out if you have had problems here.

This is a public forum. A lot of people gain knowledge by reading threads like this one. Not every reply is directed directly to you but is a general discussion that aids everyone’s understanding. Many times a person with similar issues but lacking your background needs detailed information to understand your decisions and solutions. If you desire private conversation use the conversation feature envelope symbol at the top of the page. There have been several threads similar to this one. You may want to search those as well and gain information without making your personal information public. Please research all opinions offered here as this is the internet and nothing is guaranteed.

I Have a couple ideas. Look at alum snowmobile trailers. Only problem is that most are 103" wide. You can replace OSB by using 1X T&G boards assembled to sheet size & a pc of steel diagnal bracing corner to corner. Hope this helps. I don't think anyone showed disability disrespect. I think you asked a question no one here could answer as you see how hard it is to find.

Last edited:
I have not seen this 'disability hate' and if I had I would delete it. If you would like to report the offending remark, just click on the little checkbox located in that comment, and we will look into it.

We're not here to cause problems for people, we're here to help people within the confines of any similar internet-based forum.

Please reach out if you have had problems here.
There was a reply that I made along with someone else. It was a quote from WebMD (edited). That is what they took issue with. I'll find it.

Edit: I posted links to places ppl with MCS can stay... apartments. Then someone said you probably need proof that you have the condition. Then I posted link from WebMD (edited) saying there is no proof. Then a few posts later someone took issue with Ron's post, iirc. But ppl were trying to help. There was no bashing. Nobody said they did not believe the illness was real. But that they might have trouble documenting it.

Since apartments exist for MCS, I don't know how they prove it. One complex was even HUD Housing and seems they would require something.

https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/a-safe-place-to-take-along-when-i-have-to-go.49134/post-596203

Edit 2: I just read the posts. Ron did push back, but apologized for sounding insensitive. You're going to have detractors in life. I live in constant pain, but I look normal. I think half my kids think I am faking. When they get older they may understand.

Just because one out of thousands of forum members pushed back, that is no reason to leave. But, it is your choice, of course.

Last edited:
Here is a link to a YouTube video showing a special MCS cargo trailer built for a customer by the WeeRoll trailer company. I believe the company has new owners now. I am sure that customized trailer cost considerably mor in the way of labor to fabricate. But the video is educational in terms of what features you are going to need and what you should avoid types of features you buying to achieve your goal.
https://www.facebook.com/share/v/RLWbP1nKuQB7AKBE/?mibextid=KsPBc6

Last edited:
It's true I did push back a bit and posted my source on the described sensitivity issues. I would do the same for those that think radio waves or transmission lines are dangerous, or any number of other "sensitivities." I do try to not to disrupt any ongoing discussions and I kept it to a minimum. If that is "disability hate" then I guess I am guilty. There are many things we probably disagree on, but I don't consider it hateful to say so. I'm sorry if you do.

As far as I could tell the conversation has continued, so I see no reason for anyone to stop asking for or offering advice.

I believe Incredible Tiny Homes is working with craftsmen in Kentucky to build all wood tiny homes as well as custom builds at their facility in Tennessee.

And, ya know, posting requests for information on a public forum full of strangers is not like talking with your best friend about your options.

Some don’t understand that, it seems, and are quick to take offense.

I am 100% certain that none of our members ever meant to hurt or 'hate' anyone. But sometimes the give and take of a public forum can 'push buttons' more than we realize.

It is VERY personal for many of us if we feel that we have been targeted in some way. But we are not here to judge, or dismiss, anyone's situation with regards to health, finances, or otherwise.

So, please keep any and all future comments in this thread focused on the OP topic: metal trailers that don't use OSB or plywood boards in their construction.

Thanks.

There was a company called Livin Lite that made all aluminum trailers. They have been discontinued for a few years, but their trailers are definitely lighter in weight and sturdy.

I would spend some time looking them up and then searching for a used trailer. They made everything from pop-up trailers to toy haulers. I hope this helps.

Here's an alum covered snowmobile trailer I was talking about. 103"x 12'.I have the same one without the cover. Lots of room as the wheels are under the trailer so no wheel wells so you can use the entire floor space. They are made not far from me.
  • Factory/Parts &Service
  • 55431 Franklin Drive
  • Three Rivers, MI 49093
  • 269-278-5310
https://www.rnrtrailers.com/--xInventoryDetail?id=14692588
Here's a company claing all alum trailers & have a 10' long model.
https://atctrailers.com/series-sto/

Last edited:
There was a company called Livin Lite that made all aluminum trailers. They have been discontinued for a few years, but their trailers are definitely lighter in weight and sturdy.

I would spend some time looking them up and then searching for a used trailer. They made everything from pop-up trailers to toy haulers. I hope this helps.
I believe Thor industries bought them and then killed it.

This all aluminum trailer company, Featherlite, has models with an aluminum floor and no OSB or plywood in them. Do contact them for further information. They do have images of the various models showing an interior shot from the rear opening. There is also a list of dealers on their website.
https://www.fthr.com/

I believe Thor industries bought them and then killed it.
Yup. But the used trailers are cheaper if you can find them. Worth checking out in addition to the other brands mentioned for sure. If it's a one year trip buying used might be the best bet for resale and getting your money out of it.

Sounds like a used small horse trailer is your best option for an immediate purchase. As to insurance coverage, that and the contents inside it would be an add on to your vehicle insurance policy. Just call your agent and talk to them about adding a trailer to your policy.

Sounds like a used small horse trailer is your best option for an immediate purchase. As to insurance coverage, that and the contents inside it would be an add on to your vehicle insurance policy. Just call your agent and talk to them about adding a trailer to your policy.
I just saw one go on sale here locally on Facebook for $1k. Looked nice for what it is. So it might same some money as well.

I just saw one go on sale here locally on Facebook for $1k. Looked nice for what it is. So it might same some money as well.
Fortunately I myself am not shopping for or in need of buying a small trailer for a dwelling space as I already have one. I also do not have MCS but I do understand how such a trailer needs to be made and furnished to avoid the chemicals that trigger MCS. That is why I contribute to this thread, because I understand aluminum
structures and how they are made and what chemicals might get used and where they might get used.

The OP did say they were going to Europe but did not mention for how long they would be there or if they were going to need to sell the trailer before their trip to Europe. So I have not added the consideration of reselling into the conversation.as they did not include that factor in their help request.

Last edited: