Diesel fuel #2

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was told Diesel #2? (I think I am remembering the name of the fuel accurately) is the right fuel for a 2022 Sprinter. What's the correct fuel? I went to a Chevron in northern Nevada and they said they didn't have it. I went to a Maverick station and they had it. If this is the correct fuel, is it generally available or do I have to go to truck stops to find it?

Truck stops may have it. Found this on the net, Don't use farm or off road diesel as it's dyed red as you pay no road tax but if ever dipped you'll be fined.
Diesel #2 is used for trucks that carry heavy loads, while diesel #1 is used for regular driving. Truckers should use diesel #2 because it's the best option for driving long distances at consistent speeds. Diesel #2 is also less volatile and gives better fuel economy.

Truck stops may have it. Found this on the net, Don't use farm or off road diesel as it's dyed red as you pay no road tax but if ever dipped you'll be fined.
Diesel #2 is used for trucks that carry heavy loads, while diesel #1 is used for regular driving. Truckers should use diesel #2 because it's the best option for driving long distances at consistent speeds. Diesel #2 is also less volatile and gives better fuel economy.
Thanks Gr8ful. I think the Diesel #1 or #2 is not helpful and I forget what exactly the person I spoke to said. It's the percentage of biofuel that is important. I'm reading up on it and will report back. I am confident the diesel I got at Maverick (along Hwy 395 in Carson, NV) was the right mix. I will call Mercedes dealership later today and brow beat until I get a clear answer.

Do your own deep dive research on this subject. Look up the temperature range for numbers for diesel #1. It is good for a ways below freezing. The shutoff point is not 32 degrees which is why you might not be seeing any Diesel number 2 at the pumps.

I do not have a diesel vehicle but I do have a diesel heater. Following the advice in my stove’s manual I put “Isoheat” in the fuel for my diesel heater for freezing weather use. It absolutely has to be the type made with isopropyl alcohol in it. Good thing I did that as it was freezing last night and there was 4 inches of snow accumulation on my solar panel. I can not buy number 2 diesel in Southern Arizona but I did make sure to treat the fuel in my container for freezing weather conditions. The Isoheat also removes any moisture in the fuel which helps with maintaining fuel quality during storage of the fuel in the off season when I am not using the heater.

I am just saying you do have a fall back solution of a fuel treatment if using #1 diesel in cold weather has you concerned. But be absolutely sure you are using a treatment recommended for use in diesel fuel. The truck stops will have it.

Last edited:
Number 2 diesel (on-road, or ULSD) is just your normal summer blend diesel. This is just common, everyday diesel you buy at the pump at major fuel vendors and truck stops. The fuel is generally good down to around 32F...temps below that it begins to gel which will clog your fuel fiters. If that happens you arent going anywhere. Nearly all modern large on-highway diesels have a fuel-water separator with a fuel heater, but I don't know if your 2022 Sprinter does.

Number 1 diesel (which stays liquid well below 0F) is mixed with number 2 (at the refinery) to make winter blend diesel. Usually about November thru April the winter blend is available in most locations in the USA, but fuel vendors in the northern lattitudes (and higher elevations) will extend the winter-blend period for obvious reasons.

It's a good idea to carry a spare fuel filter and a bottle or jug of diesel fuel treatment, for those occasions when they might be needed.

Last edited:
I'm not recommending adding anything as I don't know the engine but some people add a bit of gasoline. I always add a diesel treatment as they've reduced the cetane in fuel since my diesels were made. Do you have to use exhaust fluid? I don't. I'd carry a bottle of 911 if you'll be in cold weather as it will un-thaw frozen fuel. Here in Michigan they change to winter blend for 5-6 months.

Last edited:
Thanks to ALL replies! I think I got this now. I think the important factor is the percentage of biofuel/biodiesel. It needs to be as low as possible. I will stick to truck stops, until I feel comfortable that diesel at retail gas stations is right.

Thanks to ALL replies! I think I got this now. I think the important factor is the percentage of biofuel/biodiesel. It needs to be as low as possible. I will stick to truck stops, until I feel comfortable that diesel at retail gas stations is right.

Biodiesel blend is OK, if you can't avoid it, up to about B-10, B-20, or whatever is acceptable in your owners manual.

But be prepared for lower fuel mileage and I would NOT recommend it in the winter unless you add fuel treatment, and this offsets the few dollars you thought you might save by buying biodiesel blends.

In other words, choose the pump that is NOT biodiesel whenever possible, especially in winter.

OK let’s get you out of this state of confusion. You just need a string of the relevant keywords to put into a search engine so you can gain a clearer understanding of the issues regarding the Mercedes and diesel fuels. Those keywords are “DEF diesel Mercedes sprinter warnings”

[snip]

I dont think the OP was confused about DEF, which is not a fuel, but an emissions additive.

If so, they did not mention it anywhere.
DEF is what is involved in the warnings occurring on the Mercedes sprinters. Just use those keywords and you too can see the news stories about it.

Ultra Low Sulfur #2 diesel which I believe is the law of the land for on-hwy use has been used for years longer in European countries than the US. So, all the European engine manufactures such as Mercedes have developed their products to run fine on it. Since sulfur was used for its lubricity between the moving parts, refiners add either soy or a chemical concoction to reinstate that ability. U can safely run #2 diesel down to 20deg F without gelling (some refiners say 10 F). What is called gelling is actually paraffin wax solidifying at lower temps.
Best Wishes

Here's a website for MERCEDES DIESELS & the tread on diesel fuel additives. I have used ATF & Power Service Diesel Kleen in Cummins but you should find answers here.
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/diesel-fuel-additive.3126125/
Here's an reply that may help I used Liqui Moly additive on the recommendation of The Benz Store in Atlanta and it worked wonders with my Mercedes diesels (1968 through 1995). I tried others with less impact.

No seriously I looked up 'unthaw' and that word has been in recorded use for 400 years!....

Like I said: who knew? I sure didnt. (But Gr8ful did!)

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/unthaw

https://www.waywordradio.org/why-do-people-say-unthaw/

Quoting:

"Is it wrong to say unthaw? It’s less common and less formal than plain old thaw, but the word unthaw has been in use for at least four centuries. In the 1600s, the prefix un- was added as an emphasizer to several words, including the adjectives boundless, helpless, remorseless, and witless to form unboundless, unhelpful, unremorseless, and unwitless as a way of intensifying their meaning. Similarly, verbs such as ravel, peel, loosen can be rendered as unravel, unpeel, and unloosen. The point is that the prefix un- doesn’t always negate — sometimes it serves to emphasize."

I simply did not know that "un" can be used to intensify the meaning, I guess I 'unslept' thru my English classes!

:geek:

Last edited:
You didnt screw up....I DID!

I guess I don't hear that where I'm from...is all I'm saying.

Regional usages differ, and I had to look it up...as I said...it's a thing.

Apologies extended if you misunderstood my intent.