Greetings All

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake McCade

Reaction score
My name is Jake and I am currently residing in my parent's basement :confused:. That sounds bad but it gets worse. I am 53 years old and I have stage 4 cancer.

The chemo knocked the cancer back for the most part but it is forever there waiting. I just got accepted for disability insurance and my plan is to travel until the cancer takes me.

I have no savings left since the damn bills didn't stop when I was out of work so any suggestions on buying a vehicle? I would prefer a high-top van or sprinter type, but beggers cant be choosers ;)

I was a truck driver for 5 years living in my truck all but 2 weeks out of each year so living the van life will be second nature for me. With the $1500 disability each month I believe I can make a go of it.

We probably need to know a little more about your abilities which I would assume are limiting. I would probably start by spending some time outside to see if it is enjoyable for you. Living out of a vehicle requires you spend a lot of time outside. Maybe spend some time in the back yard or a weekend at a local camping area. Get a free National Parks Pass by claiming your disability at any entrance gate. Unlike driving a truck you need to develop a plan to do things you will enjoy doing while not moving and on $1500 a month and fuel/maintenance costs being what they are you will need to most likely limit your travel time and lengthen your stays to make this lifestyle work for you. The more you let us know the better the advice gets! Lol!!! Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the reply bullfrog.

I am capable of moving, walking, and hiking, just a little slower now. My pain is moderated with non-drowsy, non-habit-forming drugs and menthol rub for my legs. I have a rare type of lymphoma called Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia. When I was first diagnosed I had over 50 tumors in my abs and a dangerously high protein count. The chemo shrunk the tumors and lowered my protein enough to live but left me with fatigue and ab pains.

I enjoy the outdoors and still go to the local state parks around here. I even have a BS degree in outdoor education from SIU-C.

My plans entail traveling to places where I can boondock, hike (with frequent breaks) and camp for the max stay time and then move to another spot. Rinse and repeat.

I’m sorry for your illness, Jake.

You know, not to rain on your parade, but my immediate concern is for how long you will be able to manage the activities of daily living in a van, and what your plan is for care as you become more ill.

I suggest a heart to heart with your oncologist/hematologist, about what you can expect, what kind of medical monitoring will be required, where you will get that, and what you want to do with a van and travel, and see what they say as to feasibility.

You can travel with a chronic illness, as many of us do, but if you have never lived out of a van it is more labor intensive on its best day than in a sticks and bricks with all the usual amenities.

You also don’t say how you will pay for a van, how much you can spend.

It may be more feasible for you to try some car camping, or with a small tent, near where you and your medical practitioners reside.

Just things to consider, and I sincerely hope you can find a way to realize this dream.

Many seasonal jobs are not that labor intensive and many come with housing, volunteering to do a marshmallow roast a couple nights a week can get you a free campsite some places or answering questions and handing out maps in an air conditioned visitor center 3 or 4 days a week not only gets you a free campsite but maybe a small food and gas allowance as well as a ride along in a patrol boat. Maybe hook up with one of the caravans at first and see how it goes.

I really hope you get to do Plan A, but in case you need a Plan B, one option might be to set up a base camp (I mean, an apartment from which you can make shorter trips) in a place with good nearby nature parks. That way you get the camping and hiking opportunities without committing to a mobile life. It might be near where your current doctors are, or a new place where you're sure you can get good docs (maybe a university medical system). Sometimes places with lower rents (not low! no such thing as "low" anymore ... but lower) can be near good rural/wilderness areas, but sometimes they're also medically under-served. I learned the hard way these last couple of years that you can't just blithely assume you'll find a replacement for a good doc.

An advantage to a base camp is that, if at some point in the future you can't do as much, you'll be able to leverage your familiarity with a specific area to help you keep getting around, and you may have better access to a support system. If your base camp remained your parents' basement, you'd have more $$ left over for shorter trips. A disadvantage is that you might not be able to travel as much or as far. (Though there's something to be said for more in-depth knowledge of a few places, too .. and don't we have some committed RV-ers here who go on lots of medium-length trips rather than living in the RV full time?)

It depends on what your priorities are -- and whatever you do, more power to you; its a good and gutsy approach. And please keep us posted.

I suggest a heart to heart with your oncologist/hematologist, about what you can expect, what kind of medical monitoring will be required, where you will get that, and what you want to do with a van and travel, and see what ………
My Dr Dawter is a 37 yr old Medical Director Hematologist Oncologist……. Hired to that position over many applicants having years more experience than she at a major medical research university……..

I relayed this thread to her and her response was
“ I treat cancer; he needs a heart to heart with a psychiatric oncologist……..”

INTJohn

All the best for your plans. I would encourage you to look at several vehicle types besides a high top Van as you may luck into something faster so you could get on the road asap. Then keep looking for what you want while out there and you may get lucky. If you found a pickup truck with slide in camper it may get you on the road. Pickup trucks can generally be sold quickly with or without the slide in.

For planning, I'd invite you to look thru the two websites below in my signature line. As we are coming into summer now a simple build Van wouldn't require much cash outlay or time to ready for travel. It's covered in the first link. Below it is a portal of info & links that can make life on the road more safe, comfortable, and convenient.

I enjoy the outdoors and still go to the local state parks around here. I even have a BS degree in outdoor education from SIU-C.

My plans entail traveling to places where I can boondock, hike (with frequent breaks) and camp for the max stay time and then move to another spot. Rinse and repeat.
Welcome Jake! I graduated from SIU-C, too (1983). Camped around Carbondale and Shawnee NF often as a student. Best wishes.

I know my comments are going to controversial, but....
If you have decent credit, consider buying a factory built RV. The end product will be much more comfortable than most of us could build ourselves. You conserve time and energy and get going on adventure sooner. RVs can be bought with 15-20 year financing, so payments are fairly low. I know vans are sexy, but towables offer a lot for a little bit of money.

We all have limited time. When it's short, make the most of it by spending it doing what you want to do. The same is true with money.

I am finding box trucks to be very affordable and of course they are pretty spacious.
I get what you mean. I received a kidney transplant 2 years ago and the Drs have nearly killed me. I'm less and less able to do anything but lay in bed. This is NOT me!!! 3 years ago I was single handing my sailboat in the Pacific ocean! Latest meds have made it so that I can barely stand. Guess I'll get an electric scooter. I'll keep pushing and trying until they pull the sheet over my head.
Especially when you know that point may be sooner than later....go do what you enjoy if at all possible!
I'm just a couple of years younger than you. This is too young for this sort of thing!

The only way to know what vehicle that is within your budget that will “speak to you”
as to feeling like the home on wheels you want to spend time in is to go shopping. You could start by visiting an RV dealer and doing some tours of new and used. Of course not making any impulse buys! But it may help you zero in on what feels good. Then test drive selections as well to make sure there is no pain factor for comfort while driving. Be very sure to test the comfort every seat (including the throne) as well. The bed is a critical factor because a good day starts with a good night of sleep. Plus check the shoulder and head room in the shower. Of course also ease of getting in and out, reaching into storage compartments, etc. When you have disabilities and pain factors all these things matter. But ultimately there will be compromises as perfection is just an illusion 🙂

My wife and I started looking at small RV trailers to live in. As crappily as they were built, with stuff we would never use or want to deal with, we decided to build out our own CTC instead. No regrets. Since I built it, I know how to fix it. I know how to take it apart and remodel it. It's comfortable, small enough to tow with my Ranger and it has everything we want or need and none of the bells and whistles that we don't, or won't, use.

I agree with you 100%. You can buy a New Class C for 65K to 100+K 20 year term would not be bad on monthly. However all pre-made RV's are built like crap. It will always be better to build your own Van / Cargo Trailer if you have the Time, Talent, and Treasure.

...consider buying a factory built RV. The end product will be much more comfortable...
[jaw drops]
a)
No. No! NO!
No RecreateVehicle is remotely adequate for full-time live-aboard.
I know my comments may be controversial...
RecreateVehicles are slapped together by transient minimum-wage day-labor and incompetent ****** [starts with an 'i', and rhymes with 'idjits', but you did not hear it from me] hired for their ability to ignore:
* design flaws
* engineering flaws
* garbage components.
Assemblers can never afford the vehicles they build, do you suppose inherent jealousy might taint their attention span?
b)
Comfort?
How about:
* little-to-zero insulation -- neither acoustic nor thermal
* multiple Holes! In! The! Roof!
* weak frames and suspension
* chinesium tires past their (alleged...) safe-date.
We delivered RecreateVehicles factory-to-dealer and dealer-to-shows.
After a year and a hundred thousand miles:
* No way, no how, could I ethically or morally recommend acquiring a factory RecreateVehicle.
Not at a great interest rate, not for free.
They crumble to dust the minute they leave the factory.
And you are left with a decade of payments on a high percentage loan?
I am aghast.
c)
As always, we suggest:
* acquire a likely candidate
* toss in some car-camping gear
* go have fun.
How will you recognize your likely candidate?
Price, reliability, durability, compatibility.
And in your case, accessibility:
* could you manage a couple steps into a step-van?
* five stairs into a short-bus or skoolie?
d)
Living with your family, you have a support group.
How are you planning to develop the equivalent as you mobilize?

Last edited:
Well like I said I recommend building your own over buying factory built. However, if someone is not capable or only has 10 to 20 years left on this earth. Go for it, have fun. It's only money, you can not take it with you. Go out and have an adventure.

Jake...all good vibrations coming your way.
If you look at Bob Wells' vids, type in 'Prius' with it; a number of people are apparently traveling with those as their gypsy wagon, and it's something I'll be considering after my current life phase ends (if I decide to go back on the road). Make sure the battery's good--a Toyota mechanic can help you with that if you can't find a buyer's guide online--have someone add a catalytic converter theft thwarter, and be prepped with Bob's "I sleep in there, but I live OUT HERE" attitude. And no matter where your trail leads you, be safe and go in peace; remember...the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
And the boogyman.
And/or woman.
And Girl Scouts with those Fudgey Fentanyl cookies.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations and support.

I currently drive a 2014 Maxima which is great to drive but not much room to sleep in :).

I am on the waiting list for section 8 low income housing with about 6 months to a year waiting time. I plan on taking short camping trips and maybe a cruise or two during this time and figure out my next steps. I spent my youth traveling the world and would love to do so again before I die. All I know for sure is that I don't want to wait for death setting in front of the boob tube.