Cargo trailer + truck advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Illinois has tons of steep hills along the Mississippi, Rock and Illinois Rivers. Maybe the Ohio River, too. And, of course, Shawnee Forest area.

i've driven to Massachusetts many times through the Poconos and to San Diego and San Francisco. So I know what is considered steep.

Mostly I wanted to know if it helps my OLD truck to kill the air on steep hills.
I have a small trailer being pulled by a small SUV. You betcha that I never tow steep grades on hot days with the AC running. I need all the power I can get without causing over heating. AC units take power I do not want to waste. A struggling engine overheats. My vehicle has to last me a lot more years without major repairs! When I need to move to new campsites at a distance on hot days I hitch up the evening before and either travel at night or very early in the morning when I do not need to use AC. Running fan only without engaging to AC compressor is OK. But also think about getting a 12v fan you can set up to blow on you as you drive. Success in nomadic life is often about changing when and how you do things so that you can still get from point A to point B while doing no harm to yourself or your equipment. Getting up early and/or driving at night are not my favorite way to go from point A to Point B in summer but it works great and it keeps me out of the repair shop. So I have decided not to make a big deal out of it or whine about needing to do it but instead be very grateful for that option and still enjoy a journey that also means less traffic to deal with. When in deer country I prefer very early morning travel versus travel at night. At least you can see further ahead and to each side and have more reaction time.

You will have to be your own judge of are you working your engine too hard. Keep an eye on that temperature gauge, listen to your engine. Or avoid the worry and just change the time of day you drive so you do not need to run the AC compressor.

Last edited:
I have a small trailer being pulled by a small SUV. You betcha that I never tow steep grades on hot days with the AC running. I need all the power I can get without causing over heating. AC units take power I do not want to waste. A struggling engine overheats. My vehicle has to last me a lot more years without major repairs! When I need to move to new campsites at a distance on hot days I hitch up the evening before and either travel at night or very early in the morning when I do not need to use AC. Running fan only without engaging to AC compressor is OK. But also think about getting a 12v fan you can set up to blow on you as you drive. Success in nomadic life is often about changing when and how you do things so that you can still get from point A to point B while doing no harm to yourself or your equipment. Getting up early and/or driving at night are not my favorite way to go from point A to Point B in summer but it works great and it keeps me out of the repair shop. So I have decided not to make a big deal out of it or whine about needing to do it but instead be very grateful for that option and still enjoy a journey that also means less traffic to deal with. When in deer country I prefer very early morning travel versus travel at night. At least you can see further ahead and to each side and have more reaction time.

You will have to be your own judge of are you working your engine too hard. Keep an eye on that temperature gauge, listen to your engine. Or avoid the worry and just change the time of day you drive so you do not need to run the AC compressor.
My dad gave me the same advice back in the '70's. Drive at night or early in the morning. Since I can't see well enough for night driving, I'll be an early bird driver (in hot weather). I have a few 12v fans. Didn't think to use one in the truck. Thanks!

What Maki said is good advice, particularly in her smaller vehicle, though in your case with a 3/4 ton with V-8 youre not going to have issues running empty and using the AC. Pulling the camper up a long grade, if the temp starts going up and you can actually feel the difference in pulling power if you shut off the AC is where it will make a difference in your truck.

It's about to hit 104,000. It had 93,000 when I bought it . Edit: it is a 1995

That isn't a lot of miles, but it depends on how it's been maintained and used.

There is the common misconception that high rpm and the associated noise and vibration is bad for your engine. But unless there is already an issue (near failure) so long as you stay below redline, your truck should be able to run near its max power indefinitely. Most engine wear still occurs at startup. I'm not sure about '95, but today at least, not only do they produce a lot of power (400 hp is typical) but they are expected to pull a 10k lb trailer up a 10 mile 8% grade at 70 mph. This is a half ton full size truck. And if any truck needed it's AC turned off to keep it from overheating when subjected to this, it would be crucified in the press.

I ran my little '84 110hp truck near redline and max power all the time on hills or grades. I relied on that truck like a good dog... we were getting there one way or another, and it would match and exceed my eagerness every step of the way. It was a great companion until it died from multiple "organ" failures (damn near everything went at once) when it had 250k miles. Even then it limped half way across the country to come to rest in my Dad's shed, because that was where we were going...

That isn't a lot of miles, but it depends on how it's been maintained and used.

There is the common misconception that high rpm and the associated noise and vibration is bad for your engine. But unless there is already an issue (near failure) so long as you stay below redline, your truck should be able to run near its max power indefinitely. Most engine wear still occurs at startup. I'm not sure about '95, but today at least, not only do they produce a lot of power (400 hp is typical) but they are expected to pull a 10k lb trailer up a 10 mile 8% grade at 70 mph. This is a half ton full size truck. And if any truck needed it's AC turned off to keep it from overheating when subjected to this, it would be crucified in the press.

I ran my little '84 110hp truck near redline and max power all the time on hills or grades. I relied on that truck like a good dog... we were getting there one way or another, and it would match and exceed my eagerness every step of the way. It was a great companion until it died from multiple "organ" failures (damn near everything went at once) when it had 250k miles. Even then it limped half way across the country to come to rest in my Dad's shed, because that was where we were going...
It was used to tow a 10,000 pound fifth wheel. I thought it was used for farm work until I found the paperwork for the fifth wheel.

I'll try going up hills and maintaining normal speed & see how I react, lol. I usually either take a running start or let it slow to a crawl as the line of cars form behind me. My sons hate how I drive the truck.

It was used to tow a 10,000 pound fifth wheel. I thought it was used for farm work until I found the paperwork for the fifth wheel.

I'll try going up hills and maintaining normal speed & see how I react, lol. I usually either take a running start or let it slow to a crawl as the line of cars form behind me. My sons hate how I drive the truck.

If it was used successfully to tow a large camper, it should when empty strongly accelerate up any grade in Illinois without any real effort, AC or no AC.

I dont recall if you mentioned the motor size, its probably either a 351 or 460. If its a 460 it will probably strongly accelerate up any hills in Illinois even with the camper. My early 80s 460 would pass cars on the uphills in the Colorado mountains with a big load on it and AC on full blast. The 351 in a 79 Bronco I drove ran pretty strong also, I towed with it some, about a 500 mile trip, it ran great.

The only real reason to drive it gently is it will use less gas. It should be capable of about anything you want to do with it, at about any speed.

It's an F250? What engine?
I forgot, lol. So I checked the VIN: 5.8

Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY OF CANADA, LTD.
DBAs:
Vehicle Type: TRUCK
Model Year: 1995
Make: FORD
Model: F-250
Body Class: Pickup

Other Information​

Information provided below is based on the details provided by the manufacturer of this vehicle to NHTSA in the part 565 submittal
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: Class 2G: 8,001 - 9,000 lb (3,629 - 4,082 kg)
Engine Displacement (L): 5.8
Drive Type: 4x2
Cylinders: 8
Primary Fuel Type: Gasoline
Engine Brake (HP): 205
Engine Manufacturer: Ford

Attachments

• truck4.jpeg
    truck4.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 0
If it was used successfully to tow a large camper, it should when empty strongly accelerate up any grade in Illinois without any real effort, AC or no AC.

I dont recall if you mentioned the motor size, its probably either a 351 or 460. If its a 460 it will probably strongly accelerate up any hills in Illinois even with the camper. My early 80s 460 would pass cars on the uphills in the Colorado mountains with a big load on it and AC on full blast. The 351 in a 79 Bronco I drove ran pretty strong also, I towed with it some, about a 500 mile trip, it ran great.

The only real reason to drive it gently is it will use less gas. It should be capable of about anything you want to do with it, at about any speed.
Maybe I have made her weak, because that doesn't sound like my truck at all. Ugh... I'll try to stop babying it so much. My daughter agrees with you. She said she will drive it tomorrow and NOT baby it on the hills.

Edit: I think it is a 351. Maybe that is the problem:D

Maybe I have made her weak, because that doesn't sound like my truck at all. Ugh... I'll try to stop babying it so much. My daughter agrees with you. She said she will drive it tomorrow and NOT baby it on the hills.

Edit: I think it is a 351. Maybe that is the problem:D

A 351 should be fine, thats what the 79 Bronco had. Ford fans will say theres a difference between the 351 Windsor and 351 Cleveland motors, but I dont recall what th difference was, or if it still had any meaning in the 90s. That referred to the location the motors were built, Windsor Ontario Canada or Cleveland Ohio.

5.8 liter is the metric motor displacement, in old school Americanese thats a 351 cubic inch displacement. I have difficulty adjusting after a lifetime of using cubic inches displacement and probably rebel to an unnecessary degree. Chevys version is 5.7 liter or 350 cubic inch, with variations up and down.

I suspect it will run up the local hills about any speed you want to drive it without the camper. Not that it needs to be run hard, but it also doesnt need to be babied. I tend to try to run my stuff not too high motor RPMs and not too low, generally called lugging them, which one can do with a manual transmission. When driving up tough or long grades I run it at a speed thats comfortable without either wringing the guts out of it trying to keep some target speed, and not barely pulling it because too tall of a gear.

With the camper you will feel it, but it should still pull ok up moderate grades. I had an 88 F-250 with 351, the dealer had used it to haul cars on a trailer on 500 mile trips. It wasnt quite as perky as the 460 F-250 Ford I had, but would still pull fine.

Edit: I looked them up, both engines were well regarded one more for hot rodding, the other more for work. Either would be fine in yours. This discussion on a ford forum was about what I understood regarding the 351 and its abilities.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/863394-351-in-a-95-f250.html

Last edited:
Engine Displacement (L): 5.8
Drive Type: 4x2
Cylinders: 8
Primary Fuel Type: Gasoline
Engine Brake (HP): 205
Engine Manufacturer: Ford

I guess that's the 351 Windsor, a very reliable engine, more sold than any other V8 in history. The torque peak is at 2800 rpm, the HP peak at 3800. You need to keep the revs up! The 460 would have been a beast at pulling trailer, but the 351 should do fine. It doesn't make a lot of power, but it also isn't capable of putting much stress on itself.

It's funny but people "perceive" that an engine is working hard at higher rpm because there is more noise and vibration, but it isn't hard on the engine at all.

In other words if it's in decent condition, I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned about mashing the pedal to the floor and running it at 4000 rpm all day. You've been driving it like it's on it's last legs and about to die. Your truck is probably sad that its new owner never lets it have any fun... ;)

I guess that's the 351 Windsor, a very reliable engine, more sold than any other V8 in history. The torque peak is at 2800 rpm, the HP peak at 3800. You need to keep the revs up! The 460 would have been a beast at pulling trailer, but the 351 should do fine. It doesn't make a lot of power, but it also isn't capable of putting much stress on itself.

It's funny but people "perceive" that an engine is working hard at higher rpm because there is more noise and vibration, but it isn't hard on the engine at all.

In other words if it's in decent condition, I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned about mashing the pedal to the floor and running it at 4000 rpm all day. You've been driving it like it's on it's last legs and about to die. Your truck is probably sad that its new owner never lets it have any fun... ;)
That's what my sons say... Let it have fun . One son tells me to stop driving like a scaredy cat.

A very brief look at the Ford forums indicates that a less restrictive muffler can help these quite a bit... someone even suggested you could leave the muffler off entirely if the cats were still intact. Also the exhaust noise of a big V8 is pretty pleasant, and it would help drown out the sound of the engine thrashing around.

Another suggestion if it seems you are low on power, is to install lower gearing via the differential.

Your sons are wise... did they have a good teacher?

I think I will not go with the van option, because I learned it's going to be hard to buy the adequate size and insure it as non-commercial at the same time, plus my situation has complicating factors in term of address/locations, as I've been multi

Also, are trucks usually easy to insure under personal policy?
There is a big travel/lifestyle difference between a camper van and a truck + trailer. I wouldn't let insurance ramifications drive that decision.

I am not an expert, but I think that the commercial designation is based on vehicle AND use case. What I can say with certainty, is the 15 passenger Sprinter that is the platform for my DIY camper van is insured as a personal vehicle. It was very routine, no problem at all. And it's been involved with two claims, so I know the insurance company (State Farm) has no issues with it.

Lastly, you can have both. I've long thought the best combination was a van + trailer. Almost all full size van variants can tow 5000 lbs or more.

1995 5.8 makes:
210hp
325ft lb torque

That's plenty of power and pull for what you're towing. Even if it's not making those exact numbers at this point, it'll be fine.

My 73 3/4 ton gmc truck had plenty of power and carried a large camper with a family of 5 and everything needed including food and water up hills and mountains. If had a booster leaf to help with the weight. The 350 engine made around 150hp and and somewhere in the 250-275 range for torque.

You'll be totally fine.

A very brief look at the Ford forums indicates that a less restrictive muffler can help these quite a bit... someone even suggested you could leave the muffler off entirely if the cats were still intact. Also the exhaust noise of a big V8 is pretty pleasant, and it would help drown out the sound of the engine thrashing around.

Another suggestion if it seems you are low on power, is to install lower gearing via the differential.

Your sons are wise... did they have a good teacher?
It's not low on power. I took the forum advice and zoomed up some hills. My truck has excess power!