Parking in a "commercial" vehicle or RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though the "commercial" vehicles listed above are smaller, would they still be forced to park in the industrial parts of town and be forced to move if in the residential/mixed use areas?
Getting back to the intent of this thread... I think... you want to know if there is a uniform set of laws that would allow particular vehicles to park on residential streets... ?

This hasn't been answered as far as I can tell... and in my ancient experience, it's a big unknown in any vehicle... whether they will let you park there and sleep. You certainly do not have a right to do that, at least in most of the country. If it's a big and well known homeless hang out, maybe your odds are better?

I've parked on the street in a residential area that fit this description, but the residents eventually got fed up and the cops rousted us all out. Then we had to go to an industrial area, but that was only allowed because they were nice. We had no "legal right" to park on the streets anywhere. It stopped being fun, so I moved to the wilderness, which was where I normally parked anyway.

I live in a house atm, and if a strange (not local or familiar) vehicle parked on the street near me, I'd sure as hell notice it and wonder what was going on. And check it out... meaning I'd say hello if you were in it and not hiding, and if you were cool it would be totally fine. Can't speak for my neighbors though... and if someone complained, the cops would make you to leave. "Stealth camping" would certainly not fly here.

Others with more experience in urban camping might be able to answer this. But I don't think the "type of vehicle" is the critical aspect.

I was thinking the best options would be (listed favorite to least favorite):
1) A Stepan of some sort that can still fit in a regular parking space (any suggestions would be helpful)
2) A smaller box truck with a box the same width as the cab (the type of box truck Adventure Van Man on youtube has)
3) One of the smallest model Promaster/Transit/Sprinter vans
4) A smaller Nisson NV (similar to a Promaster/Transit/Sprinter)
5) A regular white cargo van with a high-top

Out of the 5 options above, which do you think is the best for parking in most places a regular vehicle can?

#3 and #4 on your list are probably the most inconspicuous. That said, there are a lot of jurisdictions that allow a stepvan to park just about anywhere. (I can vouch for Minneapolis and Tijuana.)

Box trucks are taller than stepvans for a given internal height, and stepvans with roll-up back doors seem to be taller than those with swing doors.

That said, the only places I've had trouble with height in my 9'6" Grumman were drive-throughs and parking ramps. Most bridges have plenty of height for any of the vehicles you've listed.

One other circumstance where it can make a big difference is if you ever need to get your vehicle hauled. (If my van had been over 9'8", it would have cost double.)

There are no uniform set of laws regarding parking. Every city gets to decide on what laws they want regarding that.

While there are some overarching laws from counties, state, and even federal for some roads, it's the cities that decide what happens in their city.

My biggest concern is finding a vehicle I can stand up in and can still park most places a normal vehicle could. A ceiling that is at least 6' tall and an inside area at least 10' in length. I'm also hoping to get 6+ solar panels on the roof.

I was thinking the best options would be (listed favorite to least favorite):
1) A Stepan of some sort that can still fit in a regular parking space (any suggestions would be helpful)
2) A smaller box truck with a box the same width as the cab (the type of box truck Adventure Van Man on youtube has)
3) One of the smallest model Promaster/Transit/Sprinter vans
4) A smaller Nisson NV (similar to a Promaster/Transit/Sprinter)
5) A regular white cargo van with a high-top

Out of the 5 options above, which do you think is the best for parking in most places a regular vehicle can? Are there any other vehicles that I'm forgetting? Even though the "commercial" vehicles listed above are smaller, would they still be forced to park in the industrial parts of town and be forced to move if in the residential/mixed use areas? I'm wondering if my requirement of needing to stand up in the back will be the biggest limiting factor where I can park. If so, I was thinking a regular white cargo van without a high-top or something like a lower roof transit (similar to Static Campervan on youtube). Any help or advice is appreciated!
For the last two years I've been living in a highly custom built out 2nd gen Toyota Sienna. Since I love being near (and in) the ocean I figure that on an extremely conservative basis that I have saved over $36,000 in rent, so far. My Sienna build is well thought out and comfortable and nicer looking inside (former cabinetmaker here) than any I have seen. I was very careful to keep the build light too. In fact, I suspect that my build is much lighter than the insanely heavy factory seats I pulled out. Even though the racks on top have a surfboard, 200 watts of solar and a Thule cargo box, I can pretty much park anywhere which is why I chose to go the minivan route initially. (I think that's because no one can believe that anyone would or could live in something so dang small.)

Two years later and I now want a larger tiny home with standing headroom, permanent bed with garage under, heater, etc. I'm still deciding between a box truck or an extended high roof Transit. That box van that Adventure Van Man has a 10' box, I think, and it seems that 12' boxes are the longest available that have the narrower box and single wheels. Seems to me that if a box truck was super clean looking outside and had official looking signs on it for the type of service business that requires immediate attention that you could park anywhere - and even briefly in residential areas. I saw a youtube video and someone in the comments said he had signs on his box truck or stepvan (don't remember which) that were for something like carpentry, but after two breakins he changed the signs to something like "ABC Sewage Service" and has had no breakins since.

The advantage to a box truck or stepvan vs a big tall van is that the build should be faster and easier because the interior walls and ceiling are flat. Should be a lot less expensive to buy too if you can find a clean older one with miraculously low miles. My first choice for a box truck would be the kind with a pickup truck front end vs a van because it will be easier to work on. Unfortunately those are extremely rare.

I understand the decision you're trying to make. It's not easy because there's so much to consider. I'm going through the same thing. Please keep us posted on what you decide.

Having business decals can have the effect of law enforcement making sure you have the proper information listed on the vehicle. Some here have mentioned it has been an issue in the past. Just a heads up.

Having business decals can have the effect of law enforcement making sure you have the proper information listed on the vehicle. Some here have mentioned it has been an issue in the past. Just a heads up.
What is an example of the "proper information"? Commercial plates?

I think it was dot information and whatnot. It's been a while since I read that on here. It's worth checking into though just to save future issues.

Should be able to park it anywhere basically means you can’t park it everywhere. What matters is the what the actual zoning regulations say. That is not difficult to find out, they are posted on the official city or town website.

Figure out where you want to do your urban boondocking and do the research for where you can legally, overnight, park and sleep in an oversized vehicle.
Here is my small city’s code:
  • Sec. 42-66. - Parking of vehicles exceeding twenty feet in length restricted to certain hours.
    It shall be unlawful for any truck, van, bus or other vehicle exceeding 20 feet in length to park on any street in the city which has been officially marked or indicated by the city for angle or parallel parking, except from 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.
    (Code 1980, § 22-47)

• Ok, so I‘m confused by the wording. At first it sounded like a vehicle in excess of 20’ cannot be parked on a city street from 10 pm till 8 am. Then I read it again and it sounded like the opposite.
    Can someone chime in on their interpretation? Thank you

Can you post the link so that we can see the context surrounding the paragraph?

Anywhere you're allowed to parallel park, you can only do so between 10pm and 8am. That's what they section reads like to me. You can always call city hall to get clarity. They don't mind, and generally would rather you know the rules.

With a 20'+ vehicle that is.

That’s kinda what I thought. Guess they are protecting their angled or parallel parking? Not what I thought it would be.

So the tall roofed cargo/box van would be just fine to park overnight, in this locality anyway.

Always good to look up the parking codes.

They probably did it that way so business wouldn't be affected by large vehicles parked in front.

Understand, once your box van is registered as an RV it is no longer a 'commercial vehicle'. Any officer trying to give you a ticket should be shown the registration.

In Nebraska, all pick up trucks and vans (regardless of size) are considered commercial vehicles during registration since they could be used for "commercial purposes". The fact that our tags say "commercial" do not in itself mean they are used for commercial purposes. Anything over 20 feet long or any vehicle bearing commercial advertising (regardless of size) are considered commercial vehicles. So two Ford transiet connects, sitting side by side, and one could be considered a commercial vehicle if it has any business advertising or phone numbers posted on it......while a plain van is not. It really depends on where you park and if the city has had problems with parking.