a safe place to take along when I have to go

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry your life is in such a mess but nomadic living cannot solve everything humans come up against.

Kind souls cannot just drive your car and trailer. You would have to hire a company for that. A company which has liability insurance to cover the driver and your vehicles as you will not be able to provide it.

Independence financially and physically is an essential for this lifestyle.

For instance in a rural location how are you going to be able to get to a store for build materials or even groceries if you can’t drive? It is an essential that you live in a place with public transportation if you can’t drive.
I have looked at your post a number of times. Sorry this is what life has dealt you, very difficult. But yes as others have advised, this is more of a lifestyle that you NEED to be able to care for yourself. I live in a cargo van that is not insulated by my choice and not wanting to spend the money. 75 yr old female, independent and in good health. I've been at an LTVA since last October and on BLM land b4 then. I will be moving soon because it will be getting too hot. Although the vast majority of people l've meant are lovely kind people, most everyone likes to keep to themselves a good part of the time with groups who already know each other camping together. Being dependent on each other is only for a true short term emergency NOT a lifestyle. No one is a nomad with the hope of taking care of someone else. The sad reality is that this lifestyle IS NOT for everyone. Many blessings on you and l hope you will find peace and comfort wherever you are able to live.

Hello everyone!

I'm excited to finally have found this forum. I've been looking for you all for a while!

I'm a disabled woman in my mid-50s, facing eviction from a 300 square foot inner city studio apartment that I've lived in for over three decades. Over the last year a new building owner has been terrorizing residents with sudden, unannounced demolition around our living spaces and the gas lines. My health is being severely affected, and now he wants to force his way into my home to do remodeling that would make me deathly ill, because I suffer from Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS). I'm on a fixed SSI disability income, living from check to check, so I have been trying to negotiate a buyout, to get some money to move, but he's refusing, so I'm simultaneously trapped here, and threatened with the streets.

Apartments that are both affordable and accessible to someone with MCS are about as common as unicorns, and I know many people who have lived in their cars as a result. If I had a car, I would have moved into it a quarter of a century ago, when I first got sick, because I've struggled to keep this place safe from chemical intrusions ever since, and have had to evacuate and find shelter elsewhere a number of times when I didn't succeed. Trouble is....I don't drive! And I shouldn't try to, because of neurological impairments.

So I'm obviously not likely to go full nomad, but after years of housing insecurity, I would feel a lot safer if I could have an accessible sanctuary that I can take with me whenever the toxic world catches up with me and I have to move again, so I do want some wheels that some kind person could tow somewhere else for me as needed. And I may at times need to park somewhere in an urban setting, so I need to be able to be a bit more stealth than I could be in one of those fancy tiny houses I can't afford.

I've been thinking about getting a cargo trailer and building it out to my specific disability needs. Since in addition to chemical sensitivity I'm also electrosensitive, an aluminum structure makes a lot of sense to me, because it would essentially serve as a Faraday cage. I think that I could live out my life comfortably in 16 x 8 feet, preferably with a little extra in a V-nose, and some extra height.

I have a friend in another state who is willing to let me stay a while and do a build there, but with my disabilities, and my need for someone to drive me, and my limited income, I need more time to organize my move than I'm likely going to have. So I think I need to first find some temporary shelter, preferably something small I can haul along when I finally make the long distance trek, that can fit in a small driveway or parking spot on the street. I anticipate that whatever I might be able to find with my limited resources, I will have to cover completely with foil inside to seal any chemical residues from previous users, and figure out how to hook into someone's internet with a long ethernet cable, because I can't use any sort of wireless technology (I'm on a dial-up connection now, so please bear with me as my response time may be a bit sluggish).

Any creative ideas for how to find what I need to get out of here safely, or how to make the best use of this forum with my slow internet connection, would be very much appreciated.
First, let me say .. i am sorry for your situation.. may GOD help you in your struggles .. now for some tough LOVE.. i have read all of the responses from other readers in this forum… to your delima, and AS YOU MAY HAVE TO FORCE YORSLEF TO SEE, no one is goign to help you… everyone is goign to offer you sympathy and words of comfort, but you are goig to have to find a way to move on…. You say you dont drive.. yet your PLAN TO LIVE IN A SITUATION WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO NEED “DRIVING” of some sort- and to continuously NEED SOEMONE ELSE TO DRIVE YOU HERE AND THERE…, does not make any sense.. none what so ever.. all of your plans listed in your diesertatin DEPENDS ON SOMEONE ELSE TO DO THESE THINGS FOR YOU … please please please.. it is not wise for you to be sitting around waiting for other people to come and save you … i doubt that it is going to happen…. It might.. but i just dont think it is wise for you to be wasting precious moments waiting for outside help.. not with your creepy ass landlord planing on coming into your home and making your life even more miserable with his “renovation”plans…. What you need to do is get in touch with GOVERNEMNT help…. Welfare.. or whatever… i know some people who are living in government buildings, “saying” they cant work, they are sick, they have this illness and that woe. AND. they are collecting monthly allotments for thier illness.. the government is paying for people to come in to help them every day.. to do thier laundry, and household chores, to run to the grocery store for them, .. the governemnt is paying for thier transportation that comes to thier apartment door and pick them up and take them to thier doctors office and then bring them back home… and they have organizations delivering meals every single day to thier door -twic a day ..while i am workign my ass off every day - all day- overtime …and cant afford any of the delights they are sitting at home in their government-paid-for-in-full apartment, watching tv…gettign all this for free from the government…. So. What i a saying.. is instead of spending all this energy tryign to find people who will help you , who probably wont-because in this day and times everyone is tryign to find their own paths… i would instead concentrate all the energy and writing to the government for assistance… THAT IS WHAT THEY DO.. especailly people like you who are really really certifiably sick on paper… good luck…just sayin

^^^ Ron Dean

LOL, it's just force of habit for me to say "camera". (I still have several of them) My latest addition to the photo kit is a USB-C cable that I carry in my pocket. So I can plug into the laptop or desktop and transfer photos.

If anyone here hasn't done this, here's some info on how it's done:

With a USB cable, connect your device to your computer. On your device, tap the "Charging this device via USB" notification. Under "Use USB for," select File Transfer. A file transfer window will open on your computer.

These Cables are common now and inexpensive. Dollar Tree has loads of them.

More on how to upload photos from your cell:

Using USB-C cable with Cell Phone to transfer Photos

You could also do it wirelessly

PC Magazine: How to wirelessly Transfer Photos

I am sorry you are in this situation.
One possibility could be: I read about one guy, legally blind so he could no drive, to live in a trailer. When moving to next place, he PAID moving company to move it around, between RV/state parks, with the season. He could not drive to do shopping, but he was friendly enough to find new friends in every new place who did some shopping for him.
Of course he was less limited than you are, and I am not sure what his budget was - paying someone to move your trailer is not cheap. Also, maybe you can do some work, online, or work in camp store/registration office, for a free parking spot, to support your disability payments. But it would not be easy. Good luck!

^^^ Ron Dean

LOL, it's just force of habit for me to say "camera". (I still have several of them) My latest addition to the photo kit is a USB-C cable that I carry in my pocket. So I can plug into the laptop or desktop and transfer photos.

If anyone here hasn't done this, here's some info on how it's done:

These Cables are common now and inexpensive. Dollar Tree has loads of them.

More on how to upload photos from your cell:

Using USB-C cable with Cell Phone to transfer Photos

You could also do it wirelessly

PC Magazine: How to wirelessly Transfer Photos
i still use 35mm SLR cameras. also, i have a hard time transferring photos from my camera to my PC. I have to send them to my email, then download from there. crazy.

Latest posts