Trailer towing gone sadly wrong

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooFarGone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a perfect place for this subject. I haven't made friends with the search function on this forum, but found some Q&A and discussion threads about choosing a vehicle to tow X kind of trailer. They were in the Truck or Van subjects mostly. Anyway, I was just wondering if I'm too old to learn new tricks. I've never driven a vehicle towing anything, have seen some cute teardrop trailers and my busy little mind went to work . . .

As if in answer to my unanswered question, this story was posted in our local newspaper yesterday, reporting an accident tweeted about by the Colorado State Patrol. It closed I-25 south of here for more than an hour. There were no reports of serious injuries and I pray that means there were none. The photo is scary as all get-out, but also kind of jaw-dropping. I'm completely ignorant of towing matters, but I think that a mid-sized SUV couldn't possibly be the right vehicle to tow that large shiny new travel trailer.

Here's a screenshot of the CSP tweet:

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 5.46.50 AM.png

If the photo isn't clear or big enough, let me know and I can upload a bigger version of the photo that I downloaded separately.

I realize this is kind of morbid, and I hope it's acceptable to post. As I said, no injuries were reported, and I would be truly interested to hear what knowledgeable and experienced folks here have to say generally about what an appropriate vehicle would have been to tow that trailer. I understand we don't have all the stats and deets, but just based on the relative size of the car vs. that trailer - I can't believe that car was the correct choice.

It's likely due to the 'tail wagging the dog' situation.

We don't really know what happened but no matter what it was, you always want the power unit (pickup, SUV etc) to have 'towing authority' over the trailer.

This often means a larger truck or a smaller trailer, or both.

And if the trailer outweighs the power unit, then the SUV or truck MUST be purpose-built or designed to handle something that weighs more than it does. Some are, and some arent.

And then there is driver skill and experience, a major factor.

And finally, there is just bad luck, something happens in front of you, or beside you, that you can't avoid and things go sideways in a hurry.

Please be careful out there people!

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughtful and informed reply. As you said, sometimes things go bad from just bad luck. I live and mostly travel in states that often experience high winds (CO, TX, NM). Just what I've seen on the highways in windy conditions has kept me from seriously considering getting a trailer, based on my lack of experience at this time of my life. And it's not just those suspiciously lightweight vehicles towing big honking travel trailers starting to sway in the wind on the interstate (prompting some defensive driving from me as in passing them or letting them get WAY ahead.) Last spring in Northern NM, early one morning after a day of vicious winds in the region, I came across a stout full sized pickup and moderate sized trailer, still connected but on their sides in the highway median. Had happened the night before.

If I were to learn to drive a tow vehicle, it would have to be something like a 3/4 ton truck towing a tiny teardrop. 🤣 I'll leave the rest to other folks.

Just some general things to consider. Most people overload their rigs when starting out full timing. Most people have too small a tow vehicle and too large a trailer for it. Most people would be better off in many ways using a least a 3/4 ton tow vehicle to tow any trailer. Trailers with dual axles lightly loaded are safer than single axle trailers that carry the same load. Any trailer over 28’ will tow better with a 1 ton in my opinion. Pulling a light tear drop with only bedding in it can be pulled with a tow vehicle rated for twice the trailer’s advertised weight and cargo carrying capacity. Just my personal opinions.

Last edited:
There is a large travel trailer laying in pieces beside Oregon HWY 38 on the road to Crater Lake. It has been there for several weeks along a long straight section of the road. John Cadogan on YouTube has a lot to say about caravan towing.

Just because the tow vehicle can move a trailer down the road doesn't mean it's the best option or should be "towing" it.
Vehicle stress, lack of weight vs tow weight, braking power vs load all come into play. Glad to hear they are OK.

The weight distribution or load balance plays a significant part in towing safety. That vehicle may well have been adequate to tow that trailer, (no way to know without knowledge of the vehicle and trailer specs), but even being within acceptable specs, a poorly loaded trailer can completely ruin your day by making the trailer uncontrollable. Even a small trailer poorly loaded can do it.

Other relevant points have been mentioned.

Brakes on the trailers… especially used ones you buy are not maintained the best. If your trailer has brakes, they need to be checked frequently. Especially on something you don’t pull down the road a lot. A trailer probably like the one your speaking of requires brakes that can stop its own load. There is no excuse for bad braking ability. Test before you go and also before any real hills and such… trailers are great… but many people just hook up and go. Your emergency take off brakes should work also. I’m willing to bet there are a lot of trailers with this that the auxiliary battery for this is dead… they have a short lifespan in my opinion. And safety chains, properly sized hitch… just a lot of good things out there for your safety that get ignored. I won’t elaborate on the good info already provided.

And sometimes the person driving doesn't think the laws of physics applies to them. I saw one on Interstate 5 this week.

I was doing 60+ in the right lane, approaching my offramp. A box truck was passing me in the middle lane, and about 15 feet behind him was a Ford 350 pickup hauling a travel trailer that could have been a 30 footer. Tailgating.

Too Far Gone, I'm guessing you are a lady like me. I've a fair amount of experience towing trailers. I grew up on a farm. Years later my husband and I had our own business. I often times would go for supplies of sand, gravel, cinder blocks and other heavy items with our 6 ton trailer (12,000 lbs capacity) and other times I towed automobiles, tractors and even a VW camp mobile (the one with the heavy fiberglass pop top) and enough rough cut green lumber to cause the springs to move farther than all those other loads ever did. With all that experience when I looked at all the options for traveling and camping, including I own a 3/4 ton Chevy Silverado that has a towing capacity of 17,000 lbs, and could tow just about anything I wanted in the way of an RV, I decided to get a cargo van and not tow anything. I had started out to build out my tall camper shell for camping and decided I really wanted something I could move directly to the driver's seat in for security as I travel alone.

The cargo van will give me all of the advantages the VW camp mobile had plus I can stand up in it when I am finished building it out.

If I was younger and starting out and never towed, the tear drops would be very attractive because they are short and less affected by cross winds, head winds (drag on tow vehicle) and sudden gusts because of their size and shape compared to the usual camp trailer. If you go that way, you need to talk to some people with experience towing (as in a CDL driver's license) and learn the towing capacity of the vehicle you intend to tow with, the dry and loaded weights of your towed vehicle and look into the bars that stabilize a towed vehicle and breaks on the trailer. I never had the stabilizers but, I had experience and knew when the trailer or tow vehicle acted in certain ways what to do. For someone new to towing the first things is to stop and assess the situation. When you know what is happening then you have a better idea what to do.

Some of my loads were so heavy that going up steep hills the front in came off the ground. You should Never be loaded that heavy with an RV, travel trailer and such, if so the load needs reloaded to put more weight on the hitch. My loads couldn't be reloaded at that point and I was going short distances so I just cut my speed and let the traffic all pass by so I arrived safely at my destination. Fish tailing is another one that has several things you can do about it, if you have the right equipment. You need to pay constant attention, every few seconds check all your rear view mirrors for what the trailer is doing. There are road hazards that can cause instantaneous problems that if you are keeping a close eye on your whole rig can save you a lot of trouble and heart ache.

I'm guessing by this time you have things all worked out so this is, also, for others with questions.

I couldn't find a perfect place for this subject. I haven't made friends with the search function on this forum, but found some Q&A and discussion threads about choosing a vehicle to tow X kind of trailer. They were in the Truck or Van subjects mostly. Anyway, I was just wondering if I'm too old to learn new tricks. I've never driven a vehicle towing anything, have seen some cute teardrop trailers and my busy little mind went to work . . .

As if in answer to my unanswered question, this story was posted in our local newspaper yesterday, reporting an accident tweeted about by the Colorado State Patrol. It closed I-25 south of here for more than an hour. There were no reports of serious injuries and I pray that means there were none. The photo is scary as all get-out, but also kind of jaw-dropping. I'm completely ignorant of towing matters, but I think that a mid-sized SUV couldn't possibly be the right vehicle to tow that large shiny new travel trailer.

Here's a screenshot of the CSP tweet:

View attachment 34175

If the photo isn't clear or big enough, let me know and I can upload a bigger version of the photo that I downloaded separately.

I realize this is kind of morbid, and I hope it's acceptable to post. As I said, no injuries were reported, and I would be truly interested to hear what knowledgeable and experienced folks here have to say generally about what an appropriate vehicle would have been to tow that trailer. I understand we don't have all the stats and deets, but just based on the relative size of the car vs. that trailer - I can't believe that car was the correct choice.
Heads up young fella.
Most of the comments I have seen revolve around equipment.
Generally I agree that towing vehicle size and capacity are a major consideration. (larger, heavier tow vehicle a must) (Including tires and inflation) As well as loading. A passenger car or pickup meant for light duty should be set aside as not suitable!
A far more important consideration will be to take critical assessment of your personal attributes, both physical and emotional.
If you are a patient person, that will be a plus, If you are quick of temper, even for a moment, don't even begin this adventure. Some one will get hurt or worse or at least cause a huge expense to those you share the travel experience with.
If you tend to push the speed limits on a normal day, you will tend to do the same while towing after a time. If you are a left lane lu-lu, , you will revert to that same mind set after a time while towing. If you tail gate as a habit in your personal car, you will be one of those who end up like the picture you posted. No amount of great equipment can compensate or fix that.
So acquire the best equipment you can afford but please remember that the nut behind the wheel is the most important part of the whole mess. Be honest with yourself.
I've driven 18 wheelers coast to coast for over 60 years. This is what I've learned. It's a personal issue no matter what.
Put the phone down and drive!
Ken

Heads up young fella.
Most of the comments I have seen revolve around equipment.
Generally I agree that towing vehicle size and capacity are a major consideration. (larger, heavier tow vehicle a must) (Including tires and inflation) As well as loading. A passenger car or pickup meant for light duty should be set aside as not suitable!
A far more important consideration will be to take critical assessment of your personal attributes, both physical and emotional.
If you are a patient person, that will be a plus, If you are quick of temper, even for a moment, don't even begin this adventure. Some one will get hurt or worse or at least cause a huge expense to those you share the travel experience with.
If you tend to push the speed limits on a normal day, you will tend to do the same while towing after a time. If you are a left lane lu-lu, , you will revert to that same mind set after a time while towing. If you tail gate as a habit in your personal car, you will be one of those who end up like the picture you posted. No amount of great equipment can compensate or fix that.
So acquire the best equipment you can afford but please remember that the nut behind the wheel is the most important part of the whole mess. Be honest with yourself.
I've driven 18 wheelers coast to coast for over 60 years. This is what I've learned. It's a personal issue no matter what.
Put the phone down and drive!
Ken
Great response… best piece of towing equipment is between your ears…

I had not towed before I got my travel trailer. Towing it turned out to be easy enough. Backing up a small trailer takes more patience and finesse than going forward. Hitch up and unhitching is not that difficult but it is a process that requires focusing on the steps such as chocking the trailer wheels before you start to unhitch.

Looking at that photo of the wrecked trailer agin. Put your thinking cap back on and picture the length of the tow vehicle versus the trailer on the semi-tractor trailers going down the road, some of them even at times pull two trailers. It is a combination of several factors that determines what a vehicle can pull and those factors do not include the relative length of the trailer to the tow vehicle.

I had never towed before getting my travel trailer. Going forward is easy. Backing it up to where I wanted to park it took some practice but I did that in a big parking lot on a Sunday when the business was closed. Of course it is often the case when dispersed camping that you will not need to back up into a tight spot but instead can just do “pull through” parking. The same thing is true when going to a gas station, going shopping at Walmart, Home Depot, shopping malls, etc. I have not had much need for backing up my little trailer in my last 3, going on 4 years, of nomadic life. Maybe a dozen times at most in the total of all those years. That is because I disperse camp doing longer stays and do not take my trailer along when going into town on errands.

Last edited:
Our suggestions to anybody considering an unfamiliar vehicle or combination of vehicles:
* walk a RecreateVehicle park or resort.
Chat with operators of rigs on your list of potentials.
* join a caravan of experienced travellers.
Watch, listen, rarely speak.
* act as passenger or navigator to an experienced traveller.
Watch, listen, rarely speak.
One of my hobbies is walking wrecking-yards aka 'dismantlers'.
I enjoy learning about the ways vehicles crush and burn.
This accumulation of information led us to choose a heavy commercial truck as the foundation for our ExpeditionVehicle.
That survivability, plus the air-horn for distracted pedestrians...

If I were to learn to drive a tow vehicle, it would have to be something like a 3/4 ton truck towing a tiny teardrop. 🤣 I'll leave the rest to other folks.

Towing a trailer is inherently dangerous... not just dangerous for the inexperienced, or people who have mistakes/errors in their setup. And a trailer is rarely the best option for someone who wants to live in their vehicle and boondock, due to the inconvenience. There are some situations though, like if you stay parked for a long time... or if you need lots of space and amenities, and money is short.

Buy the 3/4 ton and put a reasonable camper on it....

Inconvenience is relative to how you live your life on the road. There is no one right or wrong way or only one style of living space and not everyone engages in the same activities. For my version of fulltime nomadic life having a travel trailer is vastly more convenient than not having one.

My experience is that learning to back up or connect/disconnect is probably the easiest skills to acquire. Just find an empty spot and practice a bit. Also, the advice about using the space between your ears is very good. Beyond that, don't undersize or underpower your tow rig and don't overload your trailer. And watch your trailer weight distribution. Keep an eye on the weather and don't travel in nasty conditions.

The worst outcomes I have seen are caused people losing control at highway speed.

For my version of fulltime nomadic life having a travel trailer is vastly more convenient than not having one.

Would you mind describing why? I think it would be helpful.

The reason I said they were inherently more dangerous is because of accident avoidance. But honestly, in the great majority of situations, the best response is to slam on the brakes and go straight. Where braking is concerned, I guess if the trailer brakes work well and are properly calibrated, you'll likely be able to stop as fast as anyone carrying the same weight. The rest comes down to your skill as a driver and setup. I do think it takes more skill and knowhow when you pull a trailer.

Convenience is about manuevering in town, or out in the boonies. A truck with a camper on the back will do much better there. But like I said, if you park for long periods and don't care about the ability to traverse challenging terrain, a trailer can work very well and give you a lot more space and luxury than an RV would for the $. Then the vehicle you tow it with can be used to explore and run errands.

For myself, the first priority is being able to get where I want to go without destroying my rig, and that unvolves rocks, ruts, ravines, sand, switchbacks, hills, trees, occasional mud and snow, etc.

Latest posts