Is anyone still in Quartzsite this time of year?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katt

Reaction score
We are getting down to the final few days before we hit the road and finally leave Buffalo. We have a spot reserved in Quartzsite for now. We're going to take a month or so for me to add our solar panels to the bus and a few other odds and ends of things that need to be done or fixed, which I have not been able to do here in NY because of health reasons. I can't take high humidity or extreme cold/dry, and I have really bad spring and fall allergies, so the last 7-8 years I've pretty much had to stay indoors for all of about 2-3 weeks a year. That leaves very little time for me to work on anything out in the weather here in Buffalo.

We're hoping Quartzsite isn't a total ghost town when we get there. We want to find ideal places to stay and possibly buy land at some point. Could be anywhere between Washington State and AZ. Whatever has places for us to park and is within the climate parameters that I require so I can actually do things without destroying my heart or dying of arrhythmia. But for right now, wherever we go we need stable internet for work. We're also in a 40' vintage transit bus towing a 14' trailer, so we need room. Right now we need room for our kitties, but eventually (too sad to think about) we'll be downsizing to a much smaller setup.

This last few weeks has been both exciting and stressful. We've been living in this bus for a whole year already, but close to home. We've been busy getting rid of pretty much everything left that we own that we didn't already give away or sell. We literally rented a 30 yard dumpster at our local storage space where we put whatever we had left after we moved out of our house last year, and are filling it (the dumpster) with all kinds of stuff, a lot of it I am really sad to have to trash, but we've been trying to give stuff away for months and no one wants most of it because nobody goes anywhere because of Covid. We were supposed to have had a big yard sale/giveaway at our house, but obviously that didn't happen, so here we are with a 11x32 storage space full of stuff we mostly don't need or want or have the room for, that no one else wants either.

Our bus is also almost as old as me and I turn 50 on Monday. We love her but she's elderly and definitely has character. She used to run a regular route between Cincinnati and Detroit, so she's seen some things and some stuff, maaan. And I'm just hoping and praying that she gets us where we're going, because we have put pretty much everything we have into all of this.

We're winding down for today. Tomorrow is more packing the bus for travel, paper shredding, and giving a few things away and trashing the rest of the storage space. Then Saturday we get our covid vaccines, Monday we pick up the trailer we just bought to haul our little Smart car with, and after that we will leave town and be heading west depending on how we're feeling.

Sorry if this is rambly. Been relaxing for a bit now, if you know what I mean.

K

find out from your storage owner who handles their auctions for rent non-payment. Arrange a private sale with that auctioneer where people can look at your stuff before they bid (normally they can't) and sell in one bid. If nobody bids, you have nothing of value. At least you'll know the wholesale value of your stuff

If you need solar panels ............visit SanTan solar in Gilbert AZ (Phoenix) before you get to Q

He sells the large USED residential panels......Example: 250 watts for $50........(donated the Free HOWA panels from a year ago)

Yes there will still be plenty of Nomads in the area.....Do you FaceBook ?......HOWA uses that platform...."We Camp Together"....

Well I will be leaving today to start the trip back home, but I plan to be back next year.

Jimindenver wno is a membrr of this forum does solar installs. He is still here in Quartzsite at present. But he will move further north when the temperature becomes uncomfortable. Of course you will also be wanting to do the same thing when the temperature starts to rise. Just contact him at jimidenver.com and talk to him about your plans.

I happen to know that a number of people associated with the "Loners on Wheels" group are somewhere in Quartzsite at this time. Many people , in my experience, start to gravitate toward Q'site in December or even November. I could NOT tell you where they are, or how helpful they might be. :) Hope this helps.

Pat

January is the peak month. There is a cold spell at the moment, November had a record for the number of over 80 degree days.

We left Q a few days ago. It was pretty chilly. A lot of the in town RV parks were half full, or more. Boondocking areas were pretty quiet, with small numbers of RVs scattered pretty far apart. The small area just north of town, east side of 95, had a couple dozen rigs, with lots of small stuff, from vans to cargo trailers. Went to the Nellie E. saloon, north of Parker, on Christmas day. Fun place to visit, rough road for a small SUV like ours, and trying to enjoy a few beers in the cold and wind took some dedication.

What’s an ltva?
The BLM, (Bureau of Land Management), allows camping for up to 14 days in most places.
They do have several areas where you can stay up to 7 months for a fee of $180.
Sometimes, but not always, they will provide services like water, trash, and dump in these areas.

I usually stay there through March.
Oregon is much colder than QZ!
It IS winter, so the weather will fluctuate but there will be plenty of sun.
If it gets cold, sometimes I just go down to Yuma for a week or two.

I'm in Southern NM, and it's colder than sh.. uh... really cold stuff right now. Warms up a little in the day. I hear Yuma is a little warmer right now.
I like Senator's Wash on the north side of Yuma near the reservoir.