My Four Seasons of Vanlife

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmickGold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
PRE-SEASON: (my kid & teen years)

From the time I was a small kid -- dreaming as I swayed back and forth high above the ground in our backyard swing -- I imagined traveling all over America in a small airplane or a balloon, believing someday I would do so. The concept was born when I was in kindergarten. Just before rest time, our teacher, Miss Perry, read us a story about a boy and girl playing in their sandbox. The two of them found a wishbone in the sand and made a wish that their sandbox could fly. When the wish came true, they were so delighted and flew their sandbox -- steering it with the wishbone -- to some wonderful adventures before returning home. I never forgot that story, because their "sandbox" became my life's dream!
519RJKZJuSL._SX376_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
But the flying concept changed to something far more realistic in the late 1960s, when as a teenager, I picked up a magazine that contained a story about Volkswagon's new camper bus with several pages of beautiful full-color pictures of it, both inside and out, displaying every detail.

Wow! That had to be my answer; not an airplane, not a balloon, but a Volkswagon camper bus! I wanted one SO badly! Begged my parents for one. But they didn't think I was old enough.

IMG_6672-1098x696-min.jpg

VW 1969jpg-min.jpg

And they were right. How could I, a teenager, go about acquiring something like that? How could I think of paying for something like that? I didn't even have a job, being still in high school. So the concept remained only a dream, a dream that continued growing stronger every day because I never stopped thinking about it, never stopped longing for it.

SEASON ONE: (my twenties)

I was barely 21 when my life-long dream first came true. I met Chris and Ron Kirshnick and their baby girl who lived in a school bus as their home. They had come from the Haight-Ashbury district of San Fransico, California, where they had been instigators of the now-famous hippy movement, with plenty of stories to tell me. They also listened to my stories, and understanding my dream, offered to sell me their bus! (What unbelievable good fortune!) In a couple of days I was able to give them an enthusiastic "Yes!", because even though my parents were totally "thumbs down" about it, I had a great friend named Bob Lawrence, who offered to give me a loan through his credit union, which I of course accepted. So I bought Ron's bus for $1,800, which was well worth every penny. The bus then became my home, year, after year, after year; and I loved every minute in my bus, Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall! My childhood dream had fully come true!

There are so many stories I could tell about life in what I simply called "The Bus". One adventure was when the Jet Stream hit the mountain peaks and bent downward just north of Boulder, CO where I was staying at the time, and blew an entire trailer park away (which fortunately the local sheriff had already evacuated). I was downwind of the trailer park and furnishings were hitting The Bus as they sailed by. Even a couple of bathtubs sailed past the door, end over end as I watched. When I let my dog Corky out to pee, I had a great laugh as the wind kept rolling Corky over and over sideways, making two or three complete roles each time she fell. She wasn't bothered though, jumping right back up to try again, fail again, try again; almost like she enjoyed it. One gust was measured at nearly 250 MPH, as stated the next morning on the Paul Harvey News Hour.

(And that 250 MPH gust being reported nationwide, caused Bellingham to change their policy on reporting winds. They no longer release the top gust speeds, only reporting sustained wind speeds. This change was due to concerns about chasing away tourists, new home builders, and other business adventures, as people became fearful of the wind.)

But I remember that 250 MPH blast specifically, because it shook The Bus so violently from side to side more than any other, concerning me that it might flip over even though I'd intentionally pointed the nose of The Bus straight into the wind for safety! After it was over, the only damage to The Bus was that the windshield was quite noticeably sandblasted. It had tiny scratches in the glass everywhere that made it slightly "frosted". Dang! Wish I'd put the tail into the wind instead of the nose! Sandblasting the rear windows would have been a lot less noticeable.

1954 International Harveter.jpg

And yes, this picture is an exact twin of my bus. It's the same year and model, a 1954 International Harvester. When I bought her she had new Michelin tires and a rebuilt engine that got 9-12 MPG due to being small. That was good mileage for a large bus, but the small engine also meant I couldn't quite reach 45 MPH due to headwind resistance. Life was an endless adventure, so I didn't mind.

I feel mixed emotions about seeing her in this picture, my gosh I want her back! I made the mistake of trusting a close blood relative who asked me to put the title in their name so they could add her to the vehicles on their insurance policy for a much lower rate, saving me quite a few ($$$). They told me, "Don't worry. I'm not going to sell it out from under you." And they kept that promise because while I was out of town, they didn't sell her, they gave her away to a Boy Scout troop; or at least that's what I was told. So very sad for me. I have never trusted any "family" member since.

Did you see the movie "Into The Wild"? It's the story of Chris McCandless who lived in his bus until he died there, deep in the Alaskan wilderness. His story and his bus became so famous that people were losing their lives in the wilderness while on their pilgrimage to reach what became known as "The Magic Bus". Some would get lost in the forest, or drown while crossing the river, or even freeze to death in a storm. So eventually, the Alaskan government asked the coast guard to secretly fly in a HUGE helicopter to airlift "The Bus" many miles away to an undisclosed location in an effort to prevent more pilgrims from dying in their determined efforts to reach the famous bus.

This was done secretly to prevent the public from having a chance to stop such a move through the courts. So bye-bye old friend! We're all going to miss you! I sadly watch this little video, realizing it's the same thing that happened to my bus, also in secret. Even the paint on Chris' bus is about the same as the paint I put on mine. So again I say (with feeling), "Bye-bye old friend!"

SEASON TWO (my thirties):

My second van wasn't really a "van" either. It was a blue-gray SAAB identical to the one below. I named her my "Super Mini Micro Bus", a name which made people laugh when I told them. I tore out the back seat in order to lay a very comfortable cotton mattress all the way from the front seat (moved all the way forward) to the very back of the trunk, which fit perfectly, giving me plenty of room to stretch out in total comfort. I drove "Super Mini Micro Bus" up logging roads deep into the forests of the Olympic Peninsula in WA to sleep alone in woodsy wilderness. (What could be more perfect?) It had a V4 engine which was really short and cute, allowing front-wheel drive. I had a lot of adventures in "Super Mini Micro Bus" just as I had years before in my full-sized bus. Here is one adventure:

8004872242_f4d120ff6d_b.jpg

I used to visit the neighboring Indian reservation at La Push, WA by skipping "Super Mini Micro Bus" like a stone across the river. It had a sealed bottom so not difficult to do. One time, an Indian came running over and yelled, "Hey! Is that one of those amphibians?" "No", I answered laughing. "Well how did you sail it across the river like that? That was amazing!" I felt so proud.

But eventually, it didn't end well. The final time I attempted to cross the river, I hit something hard, (perhaps an unseen boulder?) right in the middle of the river. "Super Mini Micro Bus" stopped abruptly with a "clunk!", and then sank! Unbelievable, she actually took on water and sank! Several Indians came running to the rescue, wading into the water with logs and sticks and.... (Oh my. I'm not going to tell more. Too emotional.)

Rest in peace, dear "Super Mini Micro Bus". She had certainly shared some great adventures with me, some of them making me very proud, and others were SO INCREDIBLY STUPID I'd be too embarrassed to ever tell... But by golly, she did it all, everything I tried, motor loudly purring without an ounce of fear. ...and every time she was two-thumbs-up victorious!

"Super Mini Micro Bus" will never be forgotten, nor will her bravery.

Last edited:
SEASON THREE: (my fourties)

Then came "Bread Truck". Not a fancy name I guess, but that's what she actually was. It was in Bread Truck that I invented my 144-chord autoharp, building the first four of them. I also re-invented Pat Flanigan's Neurophone in her which was supposed to give the deaf hearing, with lots of purple sparks, including a few that burned small black holes through the skin of my fingers. (35,000 volts can easily do that.) A psychologist friend wanted us to write a book about the potentials of my neurophone version, and a newsletter wanted to do an article about it. But those people soon had their own problems to deal with and didn't follow through.

However, it is an indisputable fact that my second year in Bread Truck was the happiest year of my entire life! (What more can I say?)

1999-workhorse-p30-step-van-cargo-delivery-food-ice-cream-box-fl-truck-gas-v6382801111493-0.jpg

Alas, Bread Truck died when I failed to put enough antifreeze in the radiator. There was one bitter-cold night in which everything burst, including the iron engine block itself. My feelings about that event are still simply:
😭
Just a little common sense could have made a world of difference. No tears would have been needed.

SEASON FOUR: (my seventies)

I never imagined I'd go so long without another bus or van. But I got distracted by people and responsibilities and before I knew it, twenty years had passed. But now I have my home in a van again. You can read about it in my link below titled "How I acquired White Cloud." I hope I've finally matured enough to not make any more stupid mistakes. I'm trying to get everything right this time; no more (1) trusting blood relatives, (2) skipping across rivers, or (3) failing to keep up with proper engine maintenance.

My friend Diem told me she was amazed at how hard I worked -- hour after hour, day after day -- building out "White Cloud". The project began with neighbors shaking their heads that I would actually buy an ugly trash hauler with broken windows, missing paint, and the back wall cut completely out (so that large, tall items could be stuffed inside to be carted away). But with unwavering dedication and excitement for the future (and the fact that she was mechanically sound from engine to tires), this "junkyard on wheels" was reborn into something totally different. Cans of paint, sheets of plexiglass, and plywood did wonders for the outside. And then I built the inside into a truly perfect home for me.

The name "White Cloud" came from a group of fathers with small boys who met together monthly. My father was one of them. I was about three years old when they asked me if I'd like to be given the Indian name "Little White Cloud", and I answered "Yes". So that was my first official Indian name. I've never forgotten that night of naming ceremonies, being scared but willing to accept the adventure.

20200615_142100.jpg

And of course, I have great expectations for my future with White Cloud the van . . . . adventures that are yet to come! And you know what? My old sense of deep joy is all coming back!

Last edited:
Because I spoke of "Chris McCandless" and "The Magic Bus" above, my brother sent me this fantastic video. It is Chris' sister, Carine, giving a Ted Talk in which she explains so very well the deeper part of the story, not told in the book, not told in the movie. Everyone should see this and think deeply about it. There are truths here that apply to each of us.

Its always nice when someone lives out their dreams. When I retired I found myself looking back at my life to when I graduated from high school. I asked myself.......what was my dream for my life and have I lived my dreams??? With very few exceptions, I can say that I have. Live, love, and explore.

We had an orange 1972 Westphalia camper back when I was kid. Only one on the island as far as I could tell. Loved that thing - my sister and I used to fight over who got to sit in the very back when we were on our way to an weekend campout and who got the pop top bunk once we got there.

Cheers!

"Chris McCandless" and "The Magic Bus"...sister, Carine...Everyone should see this and think...

Good grief.
That was a wasted half-hour.
That gal could easily say everything in three minutes, without all the breathy pauses and stopping to verify the slide-projector showed the appropriate image.
And it would still be a waste of time.
Synopsis:
* mummy and daddy didn't love me
* I make all these horridly-awful decisions
* naturally, I decided to have children...
* ... because my role-models 'were magnificent'.
[entire LM crew feels like needing a shower, demands refund]

Good grief. That was a wasted half-hour. That gal could easily say everything in three minutes, . . .
Synopsis:
* ... because my role-models 'were magnificent'. . . .

There is an old Hindu saying, "When a pickpocket meets a saint, all he sees are his pockets." This is true of all of us, certainly including me. We each have things we can relate to in another person, places where we both resonate with the same vibrations. But at the same time, we remain blind to other aspects of that same person, aspects which others see, although they may be totally blind to what we see.

There is a lot in her story that your synopsis completely missed, including her main points and purpose. For the sake of acknowledging the existence of multiple views, here is my synopsis of the same story, which I admit is also very lacking in some areas:

SYNOPSIS:
Chris and his sister grew up surrounded by an endless string of lies and manipulations by their parents, in a desperate effort to keep the family secrets of violence, drunkenness, and sexual infidelity hidden from their church and the outside world. But even at age six, Chris refused to be part of the charade, accepting punishment for his honesty.

Chris was instinctively drawn away from such things and instead -- starting at a very early age -- began immersing himself in the beauty of nature whenever he could; highly valuing the peace, the purity, and above all the honesty the natural surroundings offered to him. His deep sense of who he was and what was important to him in life was incredible. And many times he told his sister, "Nothing is more important than the truth". He lived by that value, always staying true to his word.

Now, after so many years, his sister has found relying only on herself to be deeply empowering as well as truly comfortable. But her greatest lesson has been in growing to understand the true meaning of unconditional love. That was a lesson that didn't come easy; it was taught to her by living through truly difficult circumstances. But when painful things would happen, she would think about Chris and remember him telling her, "The greatest experiences are usually waiting for us far outside our comfort zone."

He was right. She understands now. We all make mistakes (she knows she certainly did) but what matters most is that each of us learn from our mistakes and see the truth, both around us and within ourselves.

Chris' story has become required reading in well over 3,000 colleges and high schools around the country. But teachers don't assign "Into the Wild" so that students will get a better understanding of Chris, they do it to help their students achieve a better understanding of themselves.

Last edited:
Good grief.
That gal could easily say everything in three minutes, without all the breathy pauses and stopping to verify the slide-projector showed the appropriate image.
Synopsis:
Just watched the video.

Last edited:
Good grief.
Synopsis:
I'm breathless by not only the lack of compassion and empathy of your synopsis, but also by the lack of knowledge of what is required to give a Ted Talk on such a personal topic in front of an audience. I'm guessing you have not been shown a great deal of compassion and empathy in your life and that's sad. I hope that situation changes.

I'm breathless by not only the lack of compassion and empathy of your synopsis, but also by the lack of knowledge of what is required to give a Ted Talk on such a personal topic in front of an audience. I'm guessing you have not been shown a great deal of compassion and empathy in your life and that's sad. I hope that situation changes.
Hello, I spent three of the best years of my life, so far, in Asheville (junior high school). Your response to Large Marge was quite insightful. I'm impressed.