Car as Trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Montana

Reaction score
I have an old 1988 Cadillac that I loved, but it would no longer pass smog.

It occurred to me : has anyone ever taken the engine out of a car that is either no longer working or won't pass smog, to turn it into a little trailer?

The seats are supercomfy in this car, and if the front seats were taken out, I'm betting you could get a pretty large sized mattress in there.

Would it be possible to turn the engine storage compartment (ie under the hood) into some kind of storage space? Could one hook up a generator with the alternator? Or would it make more sense to leave the engine in but only use it while parked to recharge the battery?

If one could tow this, it could be a pretty sweet little tiny bedroom.

Far better options exist out there than dragging around a heavy Cadillac, that would be a nightmare to tow with all 4 wheels down. Anything is possible with fabricating skills, and honestly be the ONLY one to do this. It's possible to remove/re-use the seats for their comfort, but dragging around this hulk would soon be very tiring.

BTW, welcome to the forums, and use the search function on here, and GOOGLE to find other similar builds.

Welcome Joe Montana to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

like Kelly says anything is possible, but is it practical? I would say no, I would say go to an area where you don't need to smog it.

highdesertranger

I know you loved this car. I can relate to that. Like has been said I think it would be too heavy to tow especially with the engine still in it, and you wouldnt have as big of a living space either. Why not sell it on craigslist in the Hope's that she'll find new life with someone who'll treat her right rather than lose her to death. You could take the money and buy a small camper to tow and name it the Caddy Wagon or whatever you named your car. Let her spirit live on, but let her go.

That's my advice.

However I have seen plenty of pickup truck beds that were turned into crude homemade trailers.