Eastern America Nomad Network

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello, i’m so glad someone has interest in an Eastern group. I tried several times to get something started, but my health keeps getting in the way. Now it looks like I’m not gonna be anything but a maybe part timer. I’m waiting to hear back about an Handicapped accessible apartment available here in Lancaster County PA. I’m not only wish I was on the road. I wish I had the time energy to help get something started here in East Coast.

seems what I was hoping to start met with a lot of opposition. Some people sounded like they were very upset about some things. It’s hard to motivate yourself when there’s people being negative. That’s one of the things Bob did, he start it out on his own before they were a lot of people, and he ignored the negative and kept going.

my vision for the East Coast was not quite like Bob’s. I don’t think there’s any sense in really doing all those how to videos over for East coaster, there done well, and everyone can use them no matter where they’re at. Bob has done a good job of teaching nomads how to shit in a bucket.🥸 and everything else that’s needed. That’s practical information can be used all over the country, actually all over the world. So trying to start something like Bob has would be a waste of effort in my opinion.

my vision for what I called EANN (Eastern American nomad network) Was more Like a “support group”. A way of making connections for camping, Caravaning, mentoring newbies, and keeping track of where our friends are in case someone needs help. I thought of several ways to do it, but I’m no Internet guru I still think there’s a way it could be done, but I have been knocked out of the full-time nomad circuits due to my health. Since the first of the year my health has been bad enough, not just a knock me out of the nomad lifestyle, but almost knocked me out of my life completely. As I settle down in the apartment, I’ll probably have time to do such things and could act as a helper. on the Internet from my apartment rather than from my van. I really don’t know yet. What’s in store for me. But keeping in touch with my friends and others, who are doing what I enjoy to do for so long, even if I’m stationary would be fun.

if anything is to be done towards uniting those of us east of the Mississippi I’m all for it. At this point, you might get my moral support and may be in the future more than that.

God bless the nomads, especially those on the East Coast, because we’re so much better than the others😜

hello, i’m so glad someone has interest in an Eastern group.

my vision for what I called EANN (Eastern American nomad network) Was more Like a “support group”.
if anything is to be done towards uniting those of us east of the Mississippi I’m all for it. At this point, you might get my moral support and may be in the future more than that.
Really appreciate your thoughts on this and sure hope you got/get that apartment!

For grins I looked up a couple COE camgrounds near me…
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232645
Uhh, 2 accessible campsites…. Thinking that was just a fluke, I checked a couple more places…. 2 accessible, 3 accessible… I dont mean all the others are booked, I mean that’s all they have.

That’s a bit uhh, low on numbers. Oh well, life here in the east.

I downloaded something called "Field Maps" that shows all of the TVA lands and lists which ones have dispersed (free) camping available. I also have looked up all the COE sites here in Kentucky and surrounding areas for free camping as well but do not recall if that was from using the US Public Lands app or Recreation dot Gov app. All the COE sites I have saved are free but, you have to check each listing as some are not. The good thing is the America the Beautiful pass (Interagency pass) works with the COE sites too for the ones that charge a fee. I have 9 apps that show free camping sites and, I am compiling lists in my area (KY, TN, etc) and comparing them. Eventually I will pare these down to just the few of the ones that work the best for me. I love the west and hope to be back out there one of these days but, for now at least, Heading out at the end of July I will be staying in this region of the country, at least for a while. Maybe even over into VA or NC as well but most likely east of the Mississippi. Possibly I may venture into MO to the Ozarks, I can't say for sure right now. A lot depends on how well (or not) my van runs after all the work I have done to it. I also checked and my tires, although they look good, are 11 years old and I may not be able to replace them until a month or so after I leave so I may not be putting a lot of miles on them if I can help it. Not smart, I know, but I spent a lot more on parts than I planned. Oh well, it will be fine.

Be sure to not over look boat ramps as many people fishing over night park there over night. Taking up fishing or carrying a canoe might be worth looking into!

Be sure to not over look boat ramps as many people fishing over night park there over night. Taking up fishing or carrying a canoe might be worth looking into!
Yes, good point. Some of the free TVA and COE sites I have saved mentioned boat ramps. I wish states would honor fishing licences from other states like they do drivers licenses. I will have one for KY, but dont want to buy one for TN, NC, VA, etc.

I agree with ORANGE. When I first arrived here Bob and High Desert Ranger (and a few others) were the dominant voices and located in the west. So I felt the forum leaned west and as a newbie I didn't say anything that would rock the boat. As I've mentioned before, I have family in Texas and Colorado and know there is a difference with western attitudes and those of the east.

There are plenty of Nomads who have no interest in going west of the Mississippi. And I'm sure there are many of the west who would be more than supportive of their decision. ;)

I lived a few years in an RV in Eastern Kentucky. There are lots of people using campgrounds in rural areas as pretty much permanent residences. We workamped and bought land as well as urban boondocked in places like YMCA parking lots and Cracker Barrel’s parking. It can be difficult especially in winter at least it was for us but doable.

I lived a few years in an RV in Eastern Kentucky. There are lots of people using campgrounds in rural areas as pretty much permanent residences. We workamped and bought land as well as urban boondocked in places like YMCA parking lots and Cracker Barrel’s parking. It can be difficult especially in winter at least it was for us but doable.
Yes it certainly can be difficult yet done.
I spent a year in a 24’ travel trailer in Colorado decades ago. About R3 worth of insulated walls and ceiling, single pane windows, inefficient propane furnace (way before the days of catalytic propane heaters) etc certainly made it a cold winter.