what are you doing while under lockdown?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nature lover said:
maki2 - my heart is broken:) that you would put me down for watching Roseanne - I am in the middle of a build and do much more than just the old shows on you tube.  - I never had a TV  But since I discovered her old shows on you tube I like her because she reminds me of my wife (who left after 40 years) over weight (I am too), big mouth (mine too), and sarcastic.  Makes me what her back even more. :):):)
A pair of masochist...there truly is someone for everyone.... as in "it hurts so good"

Lunch break is over and I have lots of stuff to get done on my to do list.

My Etsy app just made the cash register notification sound so that means I have to get an order packaged and ready to ship on Monday. So my to do list just got a little bit longer and I have no complaints regarding having work that brings in money :)

For me the first couple of days I laid around and rested up some.  Then did some planning by walking around the house to see what all needed to be done here.  Started making a bucket list...big bucket.... !

Once I got the chore list done in the daylight,  I spent the evening sorting and organizing the priority of things to do.

The things which were broken down or not working too well went to the top of the list. Washer/Dryer, lawn mower and yard equipment as grass is growing like mad now.  Air compressor valve wasn't holding air the way it should so I got it working right so I can use my pneumatic equipment on the Car & Van etc.

Next I went thru the refrigerator to clean it out in order to be able to stock it so I'd have stuff to be able to plan meals with.  

I'm fixing to change oil in vehicles, rotate tires, so they are road ready.  The town I live in has announced the sparkle for spring event where you put out all of your junk (clean out the basement/garage etc)  and they will pick it up and haul it off free. 

I've set out seed containers to grow flowers for the porch boxes so I can make the place look good. (and save
some money over buying them.   

I'll be scraping and painting some of the ornamental iron work that supports the roof and decks soon. 

When I'm out to the stores I've been picking up the supplies I don't have to complete these projects. 

This may all sound over the top,  but I make a list each day of 5 bigger projects to complete or 10 small ones.
When they are done I stop. 

Meanwhile I cook and make enough stuff so I may only cook once or twice a week.  When wrangling projects all day 
I don't feel like cooking when I get done,  and most of the food places are closed now. (except for their drive thru windows)

But,  it's a great feeling to have loads of this stuff done and not feeling like I'm living in a rats nest. 

........and with spring here where I can work outside comfortably the exercise lets me sleep and rest quite well.

txmnjim said:
who would have guessed cable tv call center techs are an essential employee?
i'm just relaxing on my weekend before i hit it again on Monday :(
Likely that they work from home anyway.

Attended a fun jam session this afternoon. Not many there, and were spread out. So everyone kept their hay fever to themselves.   -crofter

In S&B. Pulling a million weeds in yard and garden, mowing, string trimming, pruning and staying away from those who aren't doing social distancing or staying at home. After dark, reading. Soon I'll turn my attention back to my van.

I'm having a good old time under lock down. It is my preferred lifestyle, for the most part. I do like visiting in town at times but too much of that interferes with my "alone time" so I don't miss it too much now that I can't do it. There's Facebook for communicating with people and that works well for me in case I want to be sociable.

So - what I'm doing... I'm making mixed media art videos, binge-watching LOST on Hulu (though I've seen the whole thing before, about ten years ago), doing small projects to make this mobile home more comfortable to live in, and feeding the cats. I've decided to dig up the front lawn and plant flowers so that will be like a cottage garden I can see when I look out my living room windows.

Yesterday I did my son's taxes on Turbo Tax online... and my daughter is shopping for me and even paid for my groceries! Today I have to go to the Post Office for my medications. They have a couple clear shower curtains hung between them and the public now. I will choose a time when nobody else is in there. In such a small town (about 1200 people) that can be done.... just don't go at 4pm as that is the normal time for all mail to be delivered.

Overall, I'm not too worried about getting coronavirus... because there are only 3 confirmed cases in the county and we're 70 miles from the main county towns. There have been 65 negative tests - I am guessing, mostly health care providers wanting to get themselves tested... guessed that because my pastor's wife works for the local clinic and mentioned she's been tested.

I’m cooking some rather tasty meals in my instant pot. Fortunately I got plenty of groceries and spices just before the lockdown. I’m in north Texas in an area where the case numbers are high so I’m pretty much cooking, watching TV, and surfing on my iPad.

I started March 4th. Only been out 3x briefly out of necessity. Wasn’t two bad first couple weeks. But I’m feeling the anxiety of being totally alone the past few days much more.

I probably would have lost it by now if it wasn’t for being able to communicate with you fine folks.

I only go into town once every three weeks. I am mostly worrying that assholes will have bought up all the food that I can cook. I have a very limited setup, so I can't just cook anything I can find. 

Also going for a LOT more naked hikes. It's hard to worry about pandemics and global warming when you have to concentrate to make absolutely sure you don't slip on the rocks.

I am using it as a meditative type experience...kinda chop wood, carry water, taking care of daily needs but a LOT of going inward while sunbathing, listening to certain types of music and I have someone that I am in contact with regularly and they are creating the same type experience for themselves. We support each other.

I love my life.

Today I did an inventory of the Poplar lumber I have on hand to see if I have enough of it to make the doors and drawer fronts for the cabinets in my build. Pleased to find out a trip to the store is not needed.

But lots of chores to get done to clear enough working space for door and drawer production making mode.
That takes the cooperation of my workshop mate as the planer needs to move to an area where I can run 8' long boards through it. Too heavy for me to move it on my own.

i’m jealous of you all. lol. 80% of the day i’m bored outta my mind. have health problems and need 2 knee transplants. perfect storm for the wu-flu to take me down.

brahmon said:
i’m jealous of you all. lol.  80% of the day i’m bored outta my mind.    have health problems and need 2 knee transplants.    perfect storm for the wu-flu to take me down.
time to challenge your brain with some new activity.  Take up knitting, you will be too busy fixing drop stitches and cussing at it to have enough time to get bored :) Just joking of course. Try putting plastic car models or airplane models together instead.  You just need to find an activity that engages your mind so that time passes without noticing it passing.

I am doing like I have for years, except by myself instead of being with people. I enjoy doing a lot of things by myself, I have never been someone who needs others to have fun.

MaTaLa said:
I am using it as a meditative type experience...kinda chop wood, carry water, taking care of daily needs but a LOT of going inward while sunbathing, listening to certain types of music and I have someone that I am in contact with regularly and they are creating the same type experience for themselves. We support each other.

I love my life.
Sounds awesome. I am still boondocking in a driveway. I finally decided to hook up a power cord from the site so now I have "hookups." I have really been enjoying the bird life and cactus flowers on my daily walks.  That is about the high point. Also I got my DNA report back on ancestry and found a new relative.  I had the pleasure of inviting her into the kin online. I knew her grandparents and met her dad when we were all teenagers. 

Arizona has been officially asked to stay home after tomorrow, so I will do a last grocery run for a while.  Actually, the Gov has included everything under the sun as essential, so nobody here is getting arrested for shopping. Just in the spirit of the thing we are supposed to be staying home after 5pm tomorrow. I am planning on shopping early so will be passed out at home by 5pm from the exertion of fighting crowds and waiting in long lines. Whew.   ~crofter

In Mill Valley CA, people are going outside at 8 PM at night and howling in unison.

brahmon said:
80% of the day i’m bored outta my mind. 
Try watching youtube videos? Here is a crazy one titled Sex In The Civil War (Documentaries).

Putting up with Visible slow service due to more people at home. At night I am about 300 KB/sec but by 10 AM it is slowing down and by the afternoon it can be useless for video at 20 KB/sec. My dialup modem in the 1990's was about 70 KB/sec for comparison.