Training for the worst day of your life / personal self defense

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you are joking with me. I would not bet my life on a throw. 
Best use of bear spray is to deter the approaching animal, bear or couger. Best plan is always to avoid the encounter. With animals, we are in their home so knowing their habits and being aware & observant of sign will help you stay safe. Don't camp on their trail, or take a walk when they are hunting.
I never sleep in a pop up because of a past bear encounter in one. Hard sided camping is best.
-crofter
Links showing spray deployed. -c

More on bears, assuming any of us will get out there this year.

Vid on encounters, contains ads. More of a workout when there is a pursuit.  -c

No spray deployed here.

Spray deployment training vid

Teach talking about awareness and sign, how to stay safe.  Also bear behavior (second vid)

-crofter

Cute Griz pics (not) "They will kill you" vid, contains ads. Travellers to wildlife parks like Yellowstone or North Cascades, and points north might want to check this out.
-crofter

Last bear spray video, please read all comments on this vid, then pm me and I will issue a certificate for you. ROFL.

-crofter

Of all the things in this world that will harm or kill you,a wild animal has to rank at the bottom of the list.

That might depend on where and how you choose to live. Someone was interested in bear spray so I put up some instructional vids. I personally carry bear spray in the woods, and would deploy it in a bear or cougar encounter. YMMV.   -crofter

Got to agree with Crofter there. Everything is situational. Bizarrely enough, the most cougar attacks I've ever read about were in Griffith Park and elsewhere in the incredibly urbanized Los Angeles area. I'm in a semi-rural area now, and I'm probably the only one of my neighbors who hasn't seen cougars around. Some have seen many or seen them day after day. And we are not out in the woods by far.

Has anyone tried cold water for fat burning? I always lose a lot of weight camp hosting, not sure if from sweating or swimming in a glacier fed river.

Latest checkin trend: 14 hours of swimming this week. Altogether too much chlorine, I had to cut my hair off, but the muscles are improving.
-crofter

B and C said:
That much turns you skin orange too.  I've had the orange skin before.
Too funny. I used to love those bags of peeled mini carrots to munch. Does POTUS love carrots too? IDK.
-crofter

I wish I were still living in the desert (although maybe not around Yuma which was already 85F back in February), as then I could get in my favored 2-3 hours a day of walking, and climbing hills. But stuck in S&B and still sequestering until things in the local city settle a bit. At least crofter, you can take a 1/2 hour walk in 108F and lose 6 pounds. Wear that hat, and put a wet towel on the back of yer neck.