Practical Self Defense For Everyone (including you)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Optimistic, I think I should clarify... I only wear that at times when I have to walk to a bathroom or something alone at night or similar situations. Its all I have, besides the scratching kick screaming, to get myself that open to run. When I just HAVE to go this way or that. Other than that, when able, I am very quick to hop in the front seat and move to another area when I hear or see something even before Im fully convinced that I have to move.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

why not just keep a good sharp solid blade knife in a sheath and grab that anytime you step out at night?

Im not a gun toting, end of world goof ball, but alone at night and the stuff that comes with vanning having a little .380 even just for peace of mind to me is a good investment. Hell even a strong BB gun pistol would be better than a tiny razor blade.

I don't know if you are or how many people are dog people but I can tell you this. I've walked down some of the worst streets in a given city with my pitbull mix and despite being a total coward and baby, people go out of their way to avoid me. I mean they will step off to the side when otherwise they look like they would knock you shoulder. the types that would do something do not want to take that chance with a big dog next to you.

[img=320x294]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8432/7716037204_c1b9e9e476_n.jpg[/img]

I should note that there is no such thing here as a catch-all solution. Circumstances are different for different people and my suggestions are only that. No amount of typing will teach anyone what they need to know in such a situation. I can only offer some baseline information and hope that it is taken to heart and turned into ones personally viable concepts.

As for the bracelet razor idea ... The reality is that you probably don't have the time/practice in to get it into play fast enough. Weapons training for bladed weapons requires implementation by muscle memory. If you have to fiddle with it or look down at it because it is an awkwardly carried piece then it does more harm than good. Time wasted while you're distracted is a net loss no matter the weapon. MANY police officers die with their gun halfway out of their holster simply because they aren't as proficient as they should be.

If you only plan to use it in circumstances where you are middle of the night bathroom hunting or similar than I suggest a real tactical flashlight. Keep it in your hand ready to be deployed. Use the strike bezel against hard parts of the body. Flash the attacker in the face to gain time. A real quality flashlight is painfully bright and will cause temporary blindness at night. It also means you do no lasting damage should you employ it against someone wrongly. It's also completely legal everywhere versus a blade.

The best thing about a pistol is early release felon convicts (i.e. - "Snitches" specifically) can not have them: and they at 8% to 25% of every State's population controlled by local vigilante's. USA Today has all the alarming facts in many respects: great resource. And since Vandwellers are not a Vigilante's best friend...

A Glock pistol with a spot light and green laser can evens the odds up back towards the law abiding citizen. O/w, the felon Snitch has the advantage. Case closed. Don't try to play their game with their rules: you'll lose every time.

I prefer a W-80 thermonuclear warhead with a 200KT yield. It's the only way to be sure.

Gideon33w said:
Wow, been ages since I wrote this. Commenting now to give it a bump for newer members to read.
That's me newbie here. Thx Gideon33w for all the helpful hints. Although I've never had to defend my self from an attacker, I've certainly ran through some cenarios. My current state of mind tells me that if my life were being threatened or what I perceived to be threatened my first choice would be to flee, but it might not be an option. I differ from your idea of not wanting to hurt them in fact that would be my goal after all I could't be sure what his intent was and I would not allow him a second chance.I would implement all the tactics I possibly could. You had some great ones, I sure hope I never have to recall them.In addition to those I would also call upon all of my natural innate senses although looking him in the eye may anger him even more or offending his since of smell may back fire and turn him on. As a last resort I would use my built in feminine way to lure him in for the shot. I realize the legality of that, but if it's me or him then what's a girl to do,I would't be able to match him physically. One defense I might offer especially for the ladies is a roll of quarters it fits in your hand and can greatly increase the power upon impact if you can connect. Keep in mind what ever weapon you choose  he will most likely disarm you and use it against you. I strongly feel our best befence is cituational awareness.

1. Always be aware your surroundings.
2. When stepping out of your vehicle, at walmart, to pump gas, beware of your surroundings.
3. When pumping gas, keep a look around of your surroundings.
4. If you notice someone in the corner of your eyes, look at that person briefly, letting that person know you are aware of them before they get too close. Don't let someone sneak up on you. Be aware.
5. When I walk past someone or someone approaches me and ask a question, I usually ignore them. The may be attempting to start that conversation to size you up. Be aware of your surroundings.
6. Someone may approach you, before they attempt to get in your face, then you may need to ask them in a FIRM voice "may I help you?". Do not let a person get within arms reach of you, or better yet, within 10' of you, if you do not know them.
7. Beware of someone needing help. You could be putting yourself in danger, of being a good samaritan. Be aware of your surroundings. 
8. Put the dam phone down until you are safely in a public building or back in your car. Be aware of your surroundings. When returning to your vehicle, have your keys ready, look around before unlocking the door.

My 2 cents worth.

In the last two days I have had two separate lone women ask me for help while I was riding my bike. The first needed help to find a local street. The second was looking for a lost dog. This was in a neighborhood.

In the 90's in a Walmart parking lot, I was approached by someone that was up to no good. Luckily I got out of it safely. A few months later another young guy had the same thing happen and he was almost taken in a scam.

According to,police statistics, the survivors of attacks are overwhelmingly the victims that fought back.

Do not be passive. Fighting is the best chance of survival.

Breeze: Firearms are not an option for many of the members here. For a variety of reasons. But yes, a firearm plus training is a good option.

Sharon: A roll of nickles is better, haha. But honestly, you'll probably break your hand and only do moderate damage. Plus, with the roll of coins hidden you have no way of dissuading your attacker besides engaging. You'd much rather not let the altercation get to that level in the first place.

BLMKid: All good but the 1st half of #6 can cause its own issues. Back in my younger years in NY ... If I didn't intend you any hard or care but you threw that line at me when I was about to walk by ... NOW we might have an issue. Don't be timid but don't randomly try to intimidate either.

RVTravel: LOTS of scams out there. It's pretty common for a young lady to lure a guy into get smacked upside the head with a bat and robbed.

Roaming: The only time you shouldn't fight back is when you are overwhelmed and getting your butt kicked already. Simply so that you can better protect your vitals. Otherwise, avoid the altercation until it is obvious it's going to get physical and then engage your target.

---

Getting back to what BLMKid was saying ... Situational awareness pretty much trumps all. Not getting into a situation in the first place because you were aware of your surroundings is a far preferable outcome.

Another note for Sharon ... Not wanting to hurt them vs wanting to hurt them ... This is not as clear cut as you think. Beyond your knee jerk fight/flight response you should keep in mind that the vast majority of trained solders don't actually shoot at enemies. Sure, they shoot AT enemies, but not to kill. Sounds weird, right? If you are not engaging your target with the initial fight/flight response then chances are you aren't going to engage them. As violent as humans are we also have an aversion to hurting someone we see as human. The more time goes by the more "The Badguy" just becomes "The Guy". You, and anyone else, can talk about your feelings on the matter and what you think you'd do but until you have been there it's meaningless. Not picking on you. Just trying to make a point. By the time you consciously want to hurt someone you are past fight/flight and may find you don't actually have the will to do so.

Gideon33w said:
Breeze: Firearms are not an option for many of the members here. For a variety of reasons. But yes, a firearm plus training is a good option.

Sharon: A roll of nickles is better, haha. But honestly, you'll probably break your hand and only do moderate damage. Plus, with the roll of coins hidden you have no way of dissuading your attacker besides engaging. You'd much rather not let the altercation get to that level in the first place.

BLMKid: All good but the 1st half of #6 can cause its own issues. Back in my younger years in NY ... If I didn't intend you any hard or care but you threw that line at me when I was about to walk by ... NOW we might have an issue. Don't be timid but don't randomly try to intimidate either.

RVTravel: LOTS of scams out there. It's pretty common for a young lady to lure a guy into get smacked upside the head with a bat and robbed.

Roaming: The only time you shouldn't fight back is when you are overwhelmed and getting your butt kicked already. Simply so that you can better protect your vitals. Otherwise, avoid the altercation until it is obvious it's going to get physical and then engage your target.

---

Getting back to what BLMKid was saying ... Situational awareness pretty much trumps all. Not getting into a situation in the first place because you were aware of your surroundings is a far preferable outcome.

Another note for Sharon ... Not wanting to hurt them vs wanting to hurt them ... This is not as clear cut as you think. Beyond your knee jerk fight/flight response you should keep in mind that the vast majority of trained solders don't actually shoot at enemies. Sure, they shoot AT enemies, but not to kill. Sounds weird, right? If you are not engaging your target with the initial fight/flight response then chances are you aren't going to engage them. As violent as humans are we also have an aversion to hurting someone we see as human. The more time goes by the more "The Badguy" just becomes "The Guy". You, and anyone else, can talk about your feelings on the matter and what you think you'd do but until you have been there it's meaningless. Not picking on you. Just trying to make a point. By the time you consciously want to hurt someone you are past fight/flight and may find you don't actually have the will to do so.

Gideon33n Yes for sure avoiding any kind of altercation would be my first and best practice. Unfortunately crimes of violence and death do occur. As far as dissuading him, I thought that perhaps the element of surprise would be more of a benefit for me then attempting to challenge him. I do understand what you mean by meaningless. I stated my feelings only because w/o experiencing actual terror I couldn't be sure of how I might react. Should I ever find myself where I would need to make the decision to bring harm to another, and being armed with this new insight (thank you for sharing) I'm leaning towards expecting my self to follow through comit and engage the target while my autonomic system is in full rush.

My late grandmother, a survivor of the Victorian Era, taught me how to "conceal carry" Hat Pin. 

Not joking!  Women of her era all secured their bonnets with a long hat pin. 

These ladylike weapons, up to 3" long & topped with a pearl, were wonderfully effective against muggers, overenthusiastic gentlemen callers, & mashers.

I own three of these ladylike weapons!  Find them on Ebay.  For you urban dwellers would be just the thing for certain situations on subways.

More than one way to "stick it to 'em"!
angel.gif

Charlotte

I want pictures Charlotte. I love those - some are so decorative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
I want pictures Charlotte.  I love those - some are so decorative
Hi Cammalu,
I love them too!  And so easy to pin to even a baseball cap.  They have many self defense applications.  Once, I managed to "discourage" an aggressive pit bull who charged me while walking my leashed hound.  Just whipped out the hat pin & jabbed hard. 
Aside from personal aesthetics, be sure to get a hat pin that will do the job.  Avoid any with high carat gold shafts, for gold/silver is soft & will bend when needed most.  Look for steel, if possible, or at least low carat gold/silver content.  Make sure the head of the pin looks to be something you can  *get a good hold of* ---not too fragile or complex. 
My three pins are all 3 inches long, but I've searched ebay just now & discovered many are shorter---& some even up to 11 inches long!  Aim for 3 inches max.  Look for a sturdy looking, adequate diameter shaft.
Avoid cheap pins with glued on heads.  They will fail.  No reason to spend a fortune---tho it is possible on ebay.  These hat pins, with thought/care, can be worn on a vest or jacket lapel.  But use common sense!  Most often, safest & best worn in brim or crown of hat.
Don't have any pics of my pins.  Do ebay search for "hat pins" in Antique Jewelery. 
Cammalu---let us all know if you go for a CC Hat Pin!  Post a pic!
rolleyes.gif
Charlotte

Back in my younger days as a re-enactor I was lethal with a rapier. Imagine what I could do with a 24-inch hatpin......

(grin)

lenny flank said:
Back in my younger days as a re-enactor I was lethal with a rapier. Imagine what I could do with a 24-inch hatpin......(grin)

Lenny, I am indeed *grinning*.   But 'tis true at times you go too far, other times not far enough. 

But I always make allowances for another wordsmith.  Just watch it!

tongue.gif
Charlotte

Charlotte\ said:
My late grandmother, a survivor of the Victorian Era, taught me how to "conceal carry" Hat Pin. 

Not joking!  Women of her era all secured their bonnets with a long hat pin. 

These ladylike weapons, up to 3" long & topped with a pearl, were wonderfully effective against muggers, overenthusiastic gentlemen callers, & mashers.

I own three of these ladylike weapons!  Find them on Ebay.  For you urban dwellers would be just the thing for certain situations on subways.

More than one way to "stick it to 'em"!
angel.gif

Charlotte

Reminds me of  the Pam Greer character, Foxy Brown, when she kills her kidnapper with a stab from her sharpened hair clip. Loved that scene. haha

While a long and sharp hair pin is probably better than nothing it makes for a rather poor weapon.
Even knife wounds dont hurt in the moment and they have a much higher probability of hitting vitals.
It's also not going to be the easiest thing to see in the dark which means you attacker doesn't back down.
That said, a similarly designed tool has been used successfully as an assassination weapon.
Obviously, by highly trained professionals and not little ol ladies. Though they wouldn't be suspected ...

Oh, this reminds me ... Thinking about defensive weapon options the other day I realized one I dismissed could be viable.
Punch Daggers are not the most effective BUT are much easier to retain in the hand of someone with less hand strength.
They don't slash well but anyone slashing doesn't know how to effectively implement a knife anyway. Looks intimidating though.
The ability to retain your weapon is important and knives function as a lever against your grip strength.
Punch daggers however are more firmly held, dont easily slip, and have less leverage against you. X2 when used correctly.
Just a consideration for you all. They are also very compact and quick into action with even basic practice.