Practical Self Defense For Everyone (including you)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really. I was always under that impression but never had the chance it see a tasting. Either way, it requires a close encounter which I'd rather avoid.

i subscribe to the ancient technique of just crap yourself
i was introduced to this as a child when i would wrestle my cat and when it had enough it would spark one off and i wouldn't wrestle no more,later in life it was reaffirmed when our quit large akita would clear a house,some would succumb and need to be dragged to the safety of fresh air
this technique is good for bloods,crips and nazis but not meth heads as it is their normal state of being

hey,i had to come up with something,i grew up the fast guy but when my run turned to waddle,well waddling away in fear just dont cut it

Gary68 said:
well waddling away in fear just dont cut it

But waddling away in trouser biscuits does? :exclamation: :huh: :cool:

Interesting thread.
I'm on my 36th year of mobile life.
Many,many,many nights in parking lots of Bars,Concert Venues,Truck Stops,Rest Areas,Retail,,,,On ramps,streets of towns and cities.

# of times I've been in a self defense situation.......ZERO.

YMMV

Well, we certainly all hope be so lucky. Sadly, statistically this is impossible. But I'd rather know what to do and not need to do it than the opposite.

rvpopeye said:
Interesting thread.
I'm on my 36th year of mobile life.
Many,many,many nights in parking lots of Bars,Concert Venues,Truck Stops,Rest Areas,Retail,,,,On ramps,streets of towns and cities.

# of times I've been in a self defense situation.......ZERO.

YMMV

And to what do you attribute that fact?

That the universe is a safe, fundamentally friendly place, full of unicorns and rainbows, and all strangers are simply friends you haven't met yet?

Regards
John

True, a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

I personally oppose the take-no-risks school of self defense. A mix of paranoia (everyone is out to get you) and denial (no one can get me if I follow these rules).

I haven't been in high risk situations due to job or poor choices (mostly). I've been beaten up a few times and have put the hurt on a few. I've been arrested at gun point with cuffs put on me so tight my fingers went numb- of course I was innocent. I've never pointed a gun at anyone, but twice have put my hand on a gun with the intention of shooting; once for a person and once for a dog. I've been attacked by dogs many times.

I'm a meek person that strongly keeps to himself. So, why have I had theses situations where I've needed to employ some sort of self defense? I get out a lot. I wish my interests were more toward video games or some other reclusive activity, but my passions favor the outdoors. If anyone hasn't had the need to defend themselves, that is great! Seriously. A life without violent encounters is great, but I suspect that is not the norm- so much so that I would say that is an anomaly.

I think the premise Gideon began with is very valid -- think about how you would react, learn what you can, and do all you can to ever get in a situation where you need to defend.

The other comments let us evaluate what might and might not work for us individually.

GARY --- I sat here laughing out loud at your post.. Thanks, I needed that. LOL

Train to fight, ie. MMA or Boxing. Mainstream MMA is the best. Punching someone in the face usually always work for defense and/or offense. Getting hit in the face regularly (and sometimes hard) as part of training is absolutely required in order to become effective at self defense.

Wow, been ages since I wrote this. Commenting now to give it a bump for newer members to read.

RVTravel said:
Every post talking about how to fight needs a post about how to avoid a fight.

That strategy has work for me for 65 years.

let's not under estimate the importance of a thorough ocular patdown

MrNoodly said:
That strategy has work for me for 65 years.

That is the vast majority of what my post says really. Hard to get your butt kicked if you don't end up in a fight in the first place.

My self defense plan, so far... besides kick biting screaming... is I keep a wristlet/bracelt sorta thing that I attach a razor to... So even.if the person catches me off guard or frightens me, I wouldnt drop it and can hopefully catch myself and my senses, simply grab the little razor dangling from my wrist and be able to push the blade out to surprise him with a cut or slice to the face enough to get him off his guard and allow me to run away... but then again Im old and fat so.. running isnt much of an option either.. lol

I hesitate to post into this thread. Teaching self defense, arrest and control, target elimination, is a long and structured process. What happens in 90% of the situations is someone gets scared and endeavors on a course of action to learn how to protect themselves. Basically the same way many look in the mirror after Christmas and decide to go on a diet, join a gym on Jan 2 and go six times.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Even if you devote to training and practicing daily, the physical realities of life come into play. Gideon33 makes many great suggestions and points and something is better than nothing. How to avoid a confrontation is different based on culture. Be rude in Canada and someone is likely to want to stomp your butt. Be weak in Russia and you get the same response. A Russian saying; "You can sleep with a man's wife and survive, but not if you apologize for it." Took me three years of observing the behavior here to understand that. For America I am not really sure...Perhaps be different, or promote a different belief/ideology/position. My experience is limited. I lived in California for a few years, and have only visited other states.
Smiling and being friendly is not a bad option (unless you are on the Moscow Metro (subway) never smile). I have travelled to many countries and have got into a few issues. But in truth for 75% of those "issues" I wasn't paying attention to the signals, or was choosing to ignore them. Being situational aware does not equate to being hyper-vigilant. Hyper-Vigilant is a state of stress and is exhausting and will end your life faster than the potential tweaker waiting to jump you for your Rolex.

Animals attack out of fear, opportunity, or desperation. Humans are the same with one added. Sport. Some of us upright walking animals like to hurt people for fun, the stuff these people take are for ego rather than currency. These are the truly dangerous predators and luckily they are rare. Very rare. So understanding the animal is the first step in becoming more situationally aware.

I was robbed at gunpoint in Maputo Mozambique. I was coming home drunk, from a booze can music club. I was the only white person in the club. I should have grabbed a cab at the door. I was drunk but not loaded. It was four blocks to my apartment and I was clean of followers. Or so I thought. I walked to the end of the block turned right and got a gun shoved into my face. It was an old Makerov, held in the shaking hand of a desperate old man. I knew my animal. He was too close to me. His stance was off balance and he had the lights from the corner in his eyes. The safety was also still engaged. I handed him the wad of cash in my front pocket. About 30 USD, and a half years wages for him. He asked in Portuguese for my watch, the same old sea dweller I've worn forever. I just looked into his eyes and pretended I didn't understand. Then I darted my eyes across the street, without moving my head. He bolted down the alley. I could have hurt this man. I could have easily disarmed him and held him for the police. But why? For 30 bucks is it worth the chance of getting a cut on my hand and perhaps getting infected? For the principle of it? Usually said by people who need an ego boast. By virtue of being born in rich country that afforded me the level of training I have I was not going to hurt this desperate old man for 30 bucks. So I gave him the money. He did't rob me. He used a dramatic expression to let me know he was suffering and needed help and I gave it to him.

All rainbow, vanilla ice cream, and unicorns right? When I was sent looking for a fight, for country and later money, we always found it. Later when I wandered these very same countries in Africa, alone as a tourist, looking for positive experiences I found them. We humans have a very unique skill of finding exactly what we are thinking about and looking for. The second biggest part of being situationally aware is knowing you.

Gideon's suggestions help in this regard. Having something you are comfortable with using, to protect yourself will allow you to project confidence. The only requirement is that you think you can use it effectively. The reality of your ability doesn't play into the situation until you get punched in the face. If you project this confidence this will eliminate the threat in most cases.

Sometimes projecting a aura of power to strength is a bad thing. We all know tough guys and like listening about the fights and adventures they get into. They project confidence. Drinking with them is fun because we all feel safe. But this is not reality, it is just a fantasy that makes us feel a certain way. A way we like to feel. In reality these people attract other tough guys, as both are on the look out for each other. Then the big dog pissing begins and this can be a dangerous situation for everyone around.

This accidentally happened to me a few weeks ago. Local, fight club bar, presenting a bootleg UFC feed I wanted to see. They know me and invite to come watch. A few other local types were there, the ones that like MMA. Pretty high energy fight. I get challenged by a local tough guy who wants to impress a man in a suit, with two pretty blonds, and a nicer watch than mine. Lets apply the situational model. This man see's me as an opportunity to impress a local "biz" type guy by taking out a foreigner who looks comfortable and confident. I can't be connected so I am a safe softer target and the owners of the place like me so I must be someone. So with the model we have an opportunity attack, that is not personal, and his motivation is to look good. He is not angry and his demeanor is jovial but aggressive. So how to work this one out? I drink my shot off the bar stand up and try to position my leading foot to his outside leading foot. He squares his stance. Ok, he is trained and this will be a challenge. He is 20 something and I am 51. I offer to shake his hand. Respect programing here (culture) he has to take it. I lean in and say in my best broken Russian. "Pick someone else to impress the boss. I have 35 seconds of gas in my old gas tank but it will be the most violent and damaging 35 seconds of your life. It won't look good if I gas and then you put the boots to me while I am lying on the floor exhausted; will it?" Then I kissed his cheek and stepped back releasing his hand. He smile nodded his head and signaled the bartender that he was buying me a drink. Problem resolved.

I am sorry this has been long. But too often the term situational awareness gets tossed about without understanding what it means. It has always been easier to stay out of fights for me. Perhaps my motivation in utilizing this skill set in this way is because I have small hands. Almost every time I fight without sap gloves I break my hands up. So the 8 seconds of looking cool wasn't worth the months of trying to wipe my ass with broken hands. I don't know. But not getting into the altercation is far more important now and so that is how I use the skill.

When I manage to get home and get on the road, I will be attending rallies and the like and would be happy to show some tricks and skills to anyone that wants to learn, share, or just have fun. But the largest and most deadly weapon us hairless, fragile, up right walkers have, over the other animals is our brain. It is capable of amazing things so long as we are not locked in fear, and understand love is really the energy of the world. Despite what the media says.

The true challenge is to become situationally aware past all the propaganda. Now you all know why my nephew, who carries daily in LA, calls me his Deadly, Hippie dippy, Bard Uncle.    

After traveling a very large portion of the world for 50 plus years most people really are friends you haven't met. I know that is hard for many to believe. But it is much harder from my perspective to believe this, for reasons I won't share without scotch and cigars, and a campfire. But it is true. The fact I still scratch my MacBooks surface with this old watch today is evidence.

I wouldn't presume to speak for Trainchaser.

I would never recommend that somebody not resist if attacked.

But if I understand your post correctly, it sounds like your "system" would simultaneously be ineffective against someone who really wanted to hurt you and would attract unwanted attention from any cop who happened to stop you for any reason and who noticed it.

If you have to use force against someone, you have to use enough force to disable him, at least long enough for you to escape, and to me, your little razor doesn't sound like it's going to accomplish that.  The phrase "worse than useless" comes to mind.

I admire your attitude, though.