Practical Self Defense For Everyone (including you)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon33w

Reaction score
I wanted to make this post because I understand that not everyone is like me. 

As an Army Vet (5 years active duty in our most recent conflicts) I'm very familiar with what it takes to defend oneself and I'm not afraid to do so. While I do not wish harm upon people, and have a substantially different perspective on things compared to my younger years, I am willing and able to defend myself and others at the drop of a dime.

However, I understand that most people are of a more delicate mindset. Do not think for a moment that I oppose a more gentle approach. It is simply a difference of personality, experience, and personal choice. Sadly, in our world we must ALL accept that the possibility of using force to protect yourself and others is very real ... even if you find the thought distasteful. 

So, how do we go about defending ourselves responsibly and within the law?

There are a few items and methods to use that are simple, reliable, and universally legal (helpful for those of us who travel) and THAT is what this thread is intended to concentrate on. We will also address some simple "Don'ts".

The items you will need and how to use them.

A "Tire Checker" is a club like device used by truckers to smack their tires and ensure they aren't low. Practically, this tool can double as an effective weapon in an emergency. The club should be 18-20" long, 6" of textured grip tape at the handle, and some form of blunt weight on the business end. A hard wood club is best and the weights can be drilled or screwed into the end. Avoid a design which includes a loop or lanyard on the handle end. You will be tempted to place your wrist in the loop and that is the exact WRONG way to use it. When swinging the tire checker in defense of yourself or others you want to keep it in constant motion. A one handed grip is best and allows you to keep your other arm up for additional defense. Attempt to form a 3-4 foot "round" figure 8 with the business end. The downward angled swings are where you want your force and speed. This simple defense is hard to penetrate. While swinging the club it is very important that you scream like a maniac. Remember, you don't WANT to hurt people you simply want to keep yourself and others safe. A screaming maniac with a club is an intimidating sight and will likely dissuade your attacker as bad guys prefer soft targets. This goes double for females. While you will typically be less intimidating than a male in such a situation you actually have biology on your side. Male brains are hardwired to respond to a female in distress. The louder you scream and yell the more likely someone will come to your aid. Lastly, remember that such a tool can only help you if it is on hand. Stashed away under the bed is NOT an acceptable location.

A high powered military grade flashlight makes for a surprisingly effective tool. First, I don't mean those $10 Walmart flashlights that LOOK tactical. I mean real military grade equipment. Expect to pay $60-300. The big advantage of these compact tactical lights is that they are small enough to be carried in your hand invisibly and therefor can be kept at the ready anytime and anywhere. You will notice that these flashlights come with a "strike bezel". This is a carefully ground cap on the end designed to deliver a highly traumatic blow to hard areas of the body (the skull, sternum, and knees). The typical scenario here would be walking to your van at night through a dark area. The proper grip for the flashlight places the lens and strike bezel opposite your thumb. This allows you to strike in the typical reverse grip plunge/stab method while keeping your thumb free to actuate the button. Here is where we get to the reason you need an expensive flashlight. High end tactical lights produce several times the lumens (light output) of cheap models and focus the beam very well. Even in daylight, a quick flash of the beam to someones face at close range will cause pain and temporary blindness. At night you will find this technique effective up to 30 feet. A blinded attacker is an impotent attacker so long as you have some distance. This means that you SHOULD NOT try to follow up with an attack. Take the time you have bought yourself (at night this will be a full minute) and get someplace safe. This technique has one other MASSIVE perk ... If you flash someone who actually wasnt intending you harm they will be fine in a few minutes, haha.

That is the end of the universally legal equipment. You may wonder why certain items weren't added and hopefully I will address those further along.

Now, onto hand-to-hand combat.

Sometimes, hand-to-hand combat is going to be unavoidable. Remember that your desire is to protect yourself and not to hurt people. The best result will come from a method that allows you to disable your attacker and get to safety.

The rules are simple - Bend the knees and waist slightly, keep your arms up but not crossed, avoid responding to attacks as this will simply open you up to harsher attacks (adrenaline will keep you from noticing minor damage/pain anyway), and attack only the 4 main spots.

The four main spots are: Groin, throat, eyes, and ears. 

This is especially important for females as you are typically less well equipped to inflict damage and simultaneously more prone to take damage. A male can typically fully recover from a females punch to his face within 30 seconds. A female is typically rendered unconscious to the opposite.

Anyways, back to the 4 main spots. The groin needs to be attacked with you knees and not your feet. Kicking will typically take you off balance and a followup rush attack from your opposition will result in a ground fight (avoid this). All areas of the neck are vulnerable and it takes very little trauma to have large effects. Strike anywhere on the neck that is open however you can. Additionally, grabbing some neck meat between your finger tips and thumbs followed by a quick yank is VERY painful. The eyes should be gone after with your thumbs. It takes very little pressure against the eye to cause severe pain and induce temporary blindness. Ears are often overlooked as a point to attack. Reach up, grab your own ear, and give it a tug. You will notice that it doesn't take much force to cause a good deal of pain as this tissue is connected to several nerve bundles.

Disregard your opponents knife. This sounds crazy but the reality is that most people (including the bad guys in question) don't know how to use a knife against a person effectively. Stab wounds don't hurt when you are pumped up on adrenaline (ask me how I know) and the likelihood of receiving enough trauma to be in mortal danger is actually pretty low. If your attacker is allowed to continue to strike you with a knife you're in trouble. However, if he happens to strike you a few times with the blade before you fight him off (something you will actually be able to do if you just ignore the knife) you will be able to seek medical attention and be doing so with fewer and less severe wounds. Without training you can disregard all concepts of taking the knife away from the bad guy. You are probably not Jason Bourne and are not trained in an effective method of doing so anyway.

Legality of the above. 

Your tire checker is a tire checker ... You used it as a club because you were scared and had no choice. You flashlight is a flashlight ... Same deal. Hand-to-hand self defense is always legal so long as you don't go overboard and keep attacking the bad guy when he is down. Remember, your goal is to dissuade your attacker and get away safely. If you are forced to fight your new goal is to disable your attacker so you can get to safety. Don't go out and start bashing peoples heads in because they cut you off in traffic.

Ok, we've covered the Do's but how about those Dont's ...

Pepperspray and bearspray are not your friends. You are just as likely to get yourself as the bad guy. Use these tools on attacking animals but leave using it on humans to police officers who receive extensive training on how to use it properly.

Knives are not legal everywhere. They are also crap weapons when you dont know what you are doing. Effectively attacking and killing someone with a knife takes years of training. Furthermore, at night and in the dark you typically lose the intimidation factor associated with a knife as they simply go unnoticed (this does give you the element of surprise though). The intimidation factor is what keeps you from needing to fight in the first place.

Guns are fine if you know how to use them and are in a place where having one isn't an issue. I wont go into detail here because travel, not-gun-friendly static locations, and personal choice all prevent many of us from having them.

Avoid BS self defense tools. The ninjas of the internet will call many of these items amazing but the real world isn't like the movies. If you have a question about a specific item go ahead and link it and I will followup with my opinions on it.

----

Lastly ... I'm sure there are a few people on here who think they are Billy-Bad-Arse and think I'm full of it. That's fine ... Nobody is going to change your mind ... But please realize there is a huge difference between a 220 lb grizzly guy who thinks he's a human tank with his experience in a couple bar fights and my 150 lbs smiling face with glasses who grew up poor in NY and was later paid to kill people for a living ... I'm just saying ... Practical experience counts for a lot ...

----

Well, I hope this little article was as informative as it was long, haha. Please don't misconstrue my comments about the differences between males and females as anything negative. They are simply generalization that have proven true and are pretty universally taught in self defense courses. There is nothing "wrong" about the biology of either sex. We are just designed differently and in order to protect ourselves we must understand our own limitations.

Let me know if you have any questions

Every post talking about how to fight needs a post about how to avoid a fight.

it was clear to run away in that article. always a good thing.

Like the talk about knives. Find them kind of useless for the big bowie things that some swear by. Get a damn axe folks, for chopping wood. A small knife is fine for whittling, but certainly not for defense.

The only knife I'd say is a good weapon for the average untrained person would be a machete. A screaming maniac wielding a machete doesn't get into a fight in the first place, ha-ha. Many places will not allow you to have one though.

Indeed the write up made it clear that fighting should be avoided. I'm guessing someone.didn't actually read it ...

As for the legal issues of a tire checker/thumper the prosecution would have to prove one of the following: its intended purpose is a weapon (as made), it was carried as a weapon, has been modified to make it a more effective weapon, or it meets state laws as an illegal weapon (don't fret here as the laws are overly generalized and easily fought).

An example here would be a hammer. It's intended by the maker as a tool and not a weapon and has not been modified ... BUT ... If you carried it on your person under your coat it is easy to show you were indeed carrying it as a weapon.

So, here is was I suggest (mostly for those of us in or going to California) for having one and keeping it handy ... Buy a commercially produced tire checker (there are plenty out there) with a blunt end, carry it in the vehicle next to other safety devices (such as under the front seat next to a pop-up safety cone, flares, and a tire gauge) and take a picture of that configuration, DO NOT modify it in any way, keep the original container/tag/document it came with, and if it is found be honest that the kit (thumper and other items) is your vehicle safety kit.

Note, I am not a lawyer ... However, I just looked up a case on a convicted drug dealer who was charged with having a weapon when he was arrested during a drug deal. The weapon was a tire checker. Case was dismissed because the item has legitimate uses and was not carried but simply in the vehicle. If that guy can get that charge dropped you'll probably be OK.

The D cell Maglights do indeed make an effective club. I'd actually call them too heavy but they also serve other purposes which is helpful. I once had Army medical security duty where weapons were not allowed. We were given those huge Maglights with the clear idea being to bash someone over the head if needed.

Streamlight makes some great products. I know several LEOs who carry their stuff. Not military grade and most dont have a strike bezel but they will certainly blind an attacker at night. They also make a rechargeable version which would probably be handy for us.

My concern over a cane is that having one makes you appear to be a soft target. Remember, bad guys go for the soft targets because it's the lowest risk to themselves. Appearing to be in some way disabled is less than optimal. Plus, a long blunt weapon just makes it more likely that it will be grabbed and taken from you. The only thing worse than being beaten and not having a can as defense is being beaten by the cane you brought for defense.

Practical Self Defense Continued ...

After writing last nights post it occurred to me that there is a type of situation I didn't address but should be covered. That situation is called "Multi-man Attack". This is exactly as it sounds. You are being attacked by multiple people simultaneously.

This Multi-man Attack scenario can be broken into two main categories. Surprise (often called getting Jumped) and Build-Up. I will address both of these scenarios and what your options are.

Getting Jumped

There are two possibilities for your attackers here. Either they are lying in wait while hidden (nothing you can do about that) or they are in the open appearing to be innocuous. 

Avoiding those groups that are in the open is preferable but it is very important that you avoid being obvious in doing so. The subconscious mind has a pretty powerful Predator/Prey function. Intentionally and obviously avoiding people in a predator mindset will only stoke the fire. 

So, the hidden trap has been sprung or the group has attacked you ... Where to go from here ...

Stay on your feet as long as possible while defending your body (use the above mentioned semi crouch and arm guard). Remember, it is best to get away but once you are on the ground your odds of doing so are virtually zero. Make as much noise as you can WHILE you can. Once you are on the ground and have been kicked in the gut you won't be heard easily. 

So, now you're on the ground ... If you weren't able to get away in the first few moments this is where you will end up, sorry. The reality is that you have been surprised and you are outnumbered ... This was never going to go your way anyway ... 

Keep in mind that "Thrill Killing' is an exceedingly rare phenomena and you are going to make it through this. They just want to beat you and/or rob you. Your only option now is to defend yourself as best as possible and help the beating end sooner.

Your guard when on the ground and overpowered is a little different. You want to assume the fetal position on your right side. The reason you want your right side on the ground is because this is the location on your liver and right kidney (protect these). Simultaneously curling your body sideways (trying to bring your left shoulder to your left hip) add additional padding to your left kidney. You arms need to be up and parallel protecting your entire head. Lay your hands over eachother at the base of your skull (this area is very vulnerable otherwise). 

Ok, you've assumed the buttkicking position and the attack is well under way ... Now you need to sing a song to yourself. It sounds crazy but disassociation will dull the pain and make the beating appear shorter. This is such an effective technique that it is taught to soldiers and operators for surviving torture and likewise techniques for keeping someone from disassociating is taught to interrogators.   

You protected yourself and sang a song to yourself and the beating has ended. STAY DOWN. Remember, the Predator/Prey mindset is in full swing in your attackers. Fleeing while they are still nearby might mean another beating. Wait for them to leave.

Alrighty, that's the general idea for getting jumped. Pretty bleak, I know. Now we will cover a situation you can do something about.

The Build-Up Attack Scenario

This is where you have encountered multiple attackers because they have confronted you without immediately attacking. There are a few things you will notice about this situation that are unique. First off, there is still a chance things can be defused, try your best to do this. You have a larger window to escape to take advantage (this window stays open until you are surrounded, more on that in a moment). Also, the leader of this group will almost always be in the front and this is where your plan takes shape.

Once you have found that you cannot diffuse the situation, cannot escape, and it is clear an attack is imminent ... You options are limited but clear.

Firstly, avoid being surrounded but do not turn your back on the main group to do so. Simply back up as much as possible. 

Next, you will have a window of opportunity where the leader stays in the front. This window appears immediately before the impending fight begins and at the very onset. This is your target and your moment. 

You are on what is commonly called a Shock & Awe Campaign. You need to attack the leader with such ferocity and reckless abandon that you shake the resolve of the entire group and get the leader to opt for fleeing himself. Become the aggressor and engage the leader. 

Ignore any/all attacks and attempt to gouge the face. The face and scalp bleed freely from the smallest of wounds. Your goal isn't to cause trauma it's to make the scene as horrifying as possible before the fight is even really under way. The sight of a screaming maniac and your leaders face covered in blood is what will get this all to end before it really starts.

That said, if this method fails you need to switch to the Jumped procedure ... 

I wouldn't fret too much though. If you succeed you will find that this will shut down just about every scenario rather quickly.

Now, this seems like it may be hard for females and those of us older or out of shape. Just the opposite is true. The perception that your are a soft target makes your little surprise all the more effective. It also means that your attackers are much less likely to assume an aggressive posture or optimal fighting locations so early in the engagement. Use that surprise to your advantage and scare the living daylights out of them.

----

Without training you should avoid attempting to fight back against multiple attackers. You attacked the leader to limit things to a 1-on-1 and hopefully end it right there. Getting into a full on fight against multiple attackers is difficult even for those with training. You are better off simply defending yourself than giving good cause for the group to beat you to death because you tried fight the whole group.

With the few fights I've been in, I've noticed that I've always gotten hit no matter how hard I try to avoid that. Now I accept it and go full-on aggressive. By doing that, I've been hit less. If I were getting stabbed, I wouldn't care and accept that if I am able to walk away from this after all is said and done, I'm going to walk away with a few holes in me. Not getting stabbed is almost completely beyond my control, so why spend a ton of effort trying to defend it? I would rather spend that effort in an offensive manner and get as aggressive as possible. My first choice would be to run away, but if I had to fight, I would go in 110%.

I'm a small dude. Built like an 8th grader. It amazes me how people don't mess with me even though most bad guys could likely put the hurt on me. Generally speaking, people don't want to get hurt. Even big, scary dudes. Not always of course, but generally speaking. Maybe that's why I'm largely left alone. I can't really explain why people leave me alone, but I'm very thankful they do. Seems like for the most part people just want to do their thing; if you let them do their thing and don't jerk them around, then all is well.

I do have my dog with me almost all the time. Maybe the thought of 45 pounds of pure terror hanging off their ass meat while I'm windmilling them is enough to keep them at bay. I don't know what goes on in the mind of a criminal.

I get out a lot and of course have confrontations because statistically, something is going to happen. Two months ago I had a coworker call law enforcement on a dude that was causing problems with me specifically. I told this bad guy that I'm leaving to go pee and get a drink of water. He tried arguing with me, but I said I'm leaving and abruptly walked away. I completely disengaged and it worked. When I came back out, about 6 store employees had the guy surrounded for some reason unrelated to me. I never did ask what the deal was about there, but the guy eventually walked away before law enforcement arrived.

You're first paragraph is the crux of it. Reality just isn't like the movies. 

I too am a pretty small guy. The ability to activate your subconscious predator instinct is better than any defense. Flipping that switch gets an instant response as the other parties prey instinct reacts. Though, I'd much rather have never learned how to do it in the first place. Too late for that though.

Since you are a veteran also,I would like to remind you that the VA offers mental health treatment as well as well as physical care.Good luck.

Thanks for this good list of tactics/strategy. It is long for the usual posts on this forum BUT it is a very concise review of ideas and mindset.

In almost every self defense course taught to women, one of the main goals is to get women out of the "squeamish" mindset. You covered that with your objective approach.

A technique I learned in a course decades ago is to have your car keys already in your hand before you walk out of a building to your vehicle. You are not then stuck at your car door searching for keys. But beyond this, carry your vehicle key between your thumb and forefinger but have other keys on your key chain sticking out between your other fingers (hand somewhat fisted). If someone sneaks up behind you, the protrusion of your keys will give your attacker a very painful experience even if you have a limited range of motion for striking him. If you can reach back and scrape along his face with those jagged keys.. you get the idea.

At RTR, one woman brought an item to show at a women's meeting. It is a short baton-like device with vertical hand grip -- and there are short protrusions coming up between the fingers. This looked like a well made device but it was rather large to be carrying around. In my opinion, your keys are something you always have on your person, so they are likely to be present if needed. And in any hinky situation, it is easy to get them out and be prepared.

A second preventive item that comes to mind is to have a loud whistle on your key chain. I have an SOL Howler Slim on mine. This is a survival tool for hiking since it can be heard farther than a typical voice, and it has no vocal chords to get hoarse from use. In an urban situation, it would serve more as a call for help than as a locator for someone to find you. A set of 3 blasts is the "universal" signal of needing help. But a person blowing a loud whistle to get attention if feeling threatened is much like your recommendation of yelling and screaming for help.

I imagine VA mental health care is about on par with the rest of their care ... Which is pitiful (in most places).

----

I remember that key weapon strategy very well. My concern was always that female hand bones are rather small. Applying crossways pressure to them (the keys pressing back) might not be the best idea. Try gripping your keys this way and punching your couch with increasing intensity. 

That baton sounds interesting but is likely a weapon right from the manufacturer. Might create issues in some areas.

Those whistles are great for hiking but have an inherent problem in an urban setting. How often do you hear a car alarm and ignore it? Yeah ... Same for everyone else. It probably won't draw anymore attention than you see drawn to a car alarm. Screaming may only cover a shorter distance but people will notice and pay mind to it. It also helps overwhelm a surprised opponant.

I think the single best tool for a female in such a situation is surprise. Your attacker is going to underestimate you and you should take advantage of that weekness. 

Thinking back to keys, there are several keychain tools on the market made to be small weapons. I wonder if I can find one with a good design and post a link ...

Gideon33w said:
I remember that key weapon strategy very well. My concern was always that female hand bones are rather small. Applying crossways pressure to them (the keys pressing back) might not be the best idea. Try gripping your keys this way and punching your couch with increasing intensity. 

Thinking back to keys, there are several keychain tools on the market made to be small weapons. I wonder if I can find one with a good design and post a link ...

I've seen several versions of keychain weapons people recommend for EDC. Here is a link to one:
http://www.amazon.com/Lyouth-Defens...30216&sr=1-6&keywords=keychain+defense+weapon

However, to me, those with holes for your fingers look like a perfect way to twist your fingers right out of the socket or break fingers. I agree the keys between fingers may also do damage to the woman's hand, but if I'm in a situation where I truly need to strike out at an attacker, I'm much rather damage my hand to gain time to get away versus whatever the attacker had in mind.

I'd have to find something other than a nice piece of furniture to practice with the keys-punch LOL... holes in the upholstery doesn't seem like a good idea.

Thanks for your thoughtful recommendations and comments.

Gideon33w said:
As for the legal issues of a tire checker/thumper the prosecution would have to prove one of the following: its intended purpose is a weapon (as made), it was carried as a weapon, has been modified to make it a more effective weapon, or it meets state laws as an illegal weapon (don't fret here as the laws are overly generalized and easily fought).

I tend to believe that laws that are "easily fought" still require you to hire an expensive attorney to fight them.  I personally prefer to avoid having to hire expensive attorneys.

My theory is that a good, 12 or 14 inch adjustable wrench carried in your car will be just as effective as a tire thumper and far less likely to be questioned by the cops.

Regards
John

I would avoid the key chain weapons that have places to insert your fingers. Something is simply gripped would be better. 

The couch punching idea was just to illustrate the potential issue of the keys folding back on your fingers, ha-ha.

Canes concern me. The appearance is that you are disabled and therefore a Soft Target. Furthermore, a long weapon is more likely to be taken from you. 

A crescent wrench would make a fine improvised weapon. I'd highly suggest you ad a bit of grip tape to the handle though. Rubber under the grip tape will be VERY helpful. Fine motor control goes out the window within seconds of adrenaline release. Saving your hand from grip issues with the grip tape and reverberation with the rubber will ensure the wrench staysbin your hand.

Your legal concern is somewhat valid. Do keep in mind that reality isnt Law & Order. A relatively small percentage of cases actually go to trial. Furthermore, if all they have on you is a single questionable charge the likelihood of it being criminally persued by a prosecutor is pretty low.

Gideon33w said:
The D cell Maglights do indeed make an effective club. I'd actually call them too heavy but they also serve other purposes which is helpful.

I agree with the weight issues on the D cell maglights.  The C cell lights are a better choice - lighter, faster, easier to grip and retain.

I like to put a glass breaker on the end of my maglights. 

http://www.xcapecap.com/products.html

They take the self defense usefullness up a notch.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I agree with the weight issues on the D cell maglights.  The C cell lights are a better choice - lighter, faster, easier to grip and retain.

I like to put a glass breaker on the end of my maglights. 

http://www.xcapecap.com/products.html

They take the self defense usefullness up a notch.

Regards
John

First I've seen those products but I like them a lot! The "Billet Striker" helps with clubbing type strikes too (but is D cell only).

I will probably place an order so I can see how good they are but I like the designs.

You know what one of the best things you can do is? Stay sober! Especially for women or older people, keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings. You can't do that if you are drinking or drug impaired. If you do decide to drink or do drugs, make sure you are with friends you can trust and depend on to look after you and that you are in a place you can stay safely until you sober up.

Absolutely. Willfully decreasing your situational awareness, reaction time, and capabilities while making yourself an attractive target is about the worst thing you can do.