Training for the worst day of your life / personal self defense

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I spent the last part of an hour reading every post in this thread. I thought this was about the worst day of your life and self defense. Since it was only mentioned twice, once that it would not work and the other suggesting that the self defense course would do better I thought I could give a road mad to self defense.

There is a not well know secret among self defense and martial arts instructors and the training that is widely taught. I've seen some of the women's courses that do this right. You don't need to be a fully trained Black Belt. You just need to learn a few well crafted skills and execute them as well as a Black Belt. That's why you see good self defense classes only teaching a few things that work.

I took Tae Kwon Do for several years. It was OK for physical exercise and staying limber  but was almost worthless for self defense. Don't get me wrong. Done right it is meant to kill. But you have to be positioned just right and have the full advantage to do that.

I will continue if anyone is interested as this thread is really about food, lifting weights, medications, and walking in bliss among the tulips. A few have suggested the very good advice to not place yourself in the obvious position of being a target. What I can tell you to go out and learn is state of the art and almost anyone can become very good at it. It's all about ending the threat.

Gizmotron, I, too, was disappointed in the content of this thread -- they really should change the title.

Apparently, Bob is deathly afraid of getting sued. Thus, the prohibition of conversations involving hard-core self defense (guns), and recommendations of health/dental service providers, etc.

This thread is about TRAINING and everything that goes with it. I mostly post links about equipment and classes.

We also tried accountability on training but most people on here have other interests to post about.

If you have any great links on self defense or training / practice routines we would love to see them.

As you can tell, I mostly post a link regarding firearms gurus, as discussing firearms on here leads to closed threads.
-crofter

Now that's interesting.

I must cloak this in a kind of road map where others on their own have given this as on their own advice. A kind of use at your own discretion and responsibility.

OK, how many remember David Carradine playing Kwai Chang Caine? He was also known as "Grasshopper." Do you remember those Ninja Stars that were thrown in the show? Well I don't mean go around with a pocket full. Those things are not meant to kill. They are used to distract for a brief second. You want to accomplish the same thing.

So you can go online and learn a Kung Fu tactic known as the 'Wing Chun Blast.' Now this is meant to distract for a second or two. You will have to search the internet to see how this is done for self defense as I won't bother to have any link to that here. This is something that you might find interesting. In my opinion that will just make things worse if that is all that you have.

Next comes straight from Bruce Lee himself and his 'Jeet Kune Do.' He has demonstrated several times how to hit someone from a starting position of only two inches away and knocking them way back. You must learn this secret on your own somehow. It's so easy that I can't believe that it is not widely known. Again I can't or won't give any advice on where or how to get that.

Last there is a trick to that Bruce Lee trick. Once that happens then a person is wide open for a lethally executed side kick. If that does not finish the job then a follow up by a punching attack of the throat will finish the job.

I left out a lot of specifics. I just got the idea that real self defense training is somehow unsafe.

Oh, cool. 

Q: can I execute any of those moves at my present level of fitness and training?

Well maybe not, but I can practice.  -c

crofter said:
If you have any great links on self defense or training / practice routines we would love to see them.
-crofter
For some reason all my posted links to YouTube are all blanked out or blocked out.

The self defense is to distract, wait for the aggressors weak position by moving them back, using the body blow technique by Bruce Lee, and then breaking their neck just as they fall flat on their back. That is followed by the destruction of their breathing capacity while they lay there. In know way should a women or lighter person allow the assailant to get back up. This is self defense. You will probably get killed if you try to be nice or squeamish. Most people will hesitate and die.  In this situation you will not get a second chance. 

Remember the topic is the worst day of your life. You must use such force as you deem necessary.

Re posting a link: I use copy and paste.

True that many people shrug off the dangerousness of a situation and become victims. Women in particular are trained from a young age to be passive and must overcome that conditioning in a defensive situation.

Also be good with the idea of saving your own life and possibly spending some jail time if the cops don't see it your way as being justifiable. Cops may have been cheering for the other guy.
-crofter

I learned how to prepare for the worst day of my life after the fact. That's because that was the day I got married. Everything after that has been an improvement :)

As far as self-defense is concerned:

1) Stay out of gun-love states. You don't want to be in the middle of a shootout over somebody having nine items in the "eight items or less" checkout line.
2) Never shower. Body odor, especially cured and ripened, will essentially provide a ten-foot radius Zone of Protection around you. They can't mug you if they're gagging.
3) Frown a lot. Act like you're in a filthy mood. The bonus is that some days, you won't be acting at all.
4) Don't borrow money from anyone named "Spike" or "Vito."
5) Watch every episode of "Kung Fu." Twice. You will learn, grasshopper.
6) Have a friend shoot arrows at you and practice knocking them aside. Bring bandages for mistakes.
7) Wear a t-shirt that says, "CASH ON HAND LIMITED TO $20."

You're welcome.

crofter said:
Q: can I execute any of those moves at my present level of fitness and training?
Yes. It has almost nothing to do with strength. A Wing Chun Blast comes from the center and is started from a squared up position facing someone face to face, shoulders squared. If the bad guy wants to hit you he will come from the outside of that. But in the blast he will be too buzzy trying to cover up from being startled. You hit him in the throat and the nose with a few bangs to the eyes. You do this by moving in and forcing him to back up. This all take place in one or two seconds.  

The second trick is to force him to fall back and down. You explode with the torso blast done in Bruce Lee style and use one of your legs to trip him to fall back uncontrolled. He is going to use his arms and hands to break his fall. That is when he is wide open. You use a special form of a Taekwondo kick directly to his throat as it is pined to the ground. You do this while aligning as many bones in your body at and through impact all at the same time. That is where proper kicks end up feeling like a Mac truck hit you. Knowledge of the Bruce Lee trick and bone alignment at impact are not widely taught anywhere.

So it's three quick moves all designed to end the assault.  All this can be found in different places on the internet. You can practice the speed of the WCB all day long with little effort. The tripping maneuver can also be practiced. The bone alignment kick to the throat is still one more skill to master.  All this could take out an NFL linebacker by a 100 lbs person if they get the person to back up for just a distracted second.  I'm too old and messed up to run. I figure I can breath for the few seconds it takes to finish the criminal off.

You need to practice. That's what makes things work. One person can teach Wing Chun. Another can teach the Bruce Lee trick. Another can teach the kick. 

Or you can get training in self defense where other simple techniques are trained. The good ones will train you to be really good at just a few things. The bad ones will try to lock you into a yearly contract and teach you a bunch of poses.

crofter said:
Re posting a link: I use copy and paste.
All my previous embedded youtube links are blocked. Yes, I can still just post a hyperlink. I will go looking for a few. Nobody in Taekwondo teaches the bone alignment trick. I took that one from the Bruce Lee trick. I will just have to tell you the Bruce Lee trick after you go see it for real. It's demonstrated in the movie about his life too.

Here is a very good demo of Wing Chung. He does show the triple blast to the throat area. This is just to startle the guy. If you include the nose it will water his eyes.   

If you move forward into him while doing this hew will back up and become squared up so that you can trip him and shove him back.

Here is the actual Bruce Lee One Inch Punch.

The secret is like bone mass alignment. If you tense up all the muscles in you body to make yourself into a solid block then they won't give way to the smaller body mass of your arms when you strike. Bruce Lee taught to strike two inches past impact and to become a solid mass while doing so. I use both arms and fists at the same time, like a fisted shove combined with this body mass trick. I do that at the same time that I have thrusted one foot and bottom of my leg behind the bad guy's leg he is standing on mostly. My body mass and this strike sends the bad guy flying backwards and to the ground.

Here is the final blow. Nobody teaches a side kick to the neck of a man on the ground or the neck on the ground. But you align your bone at impact and strike with the heal to the neck crushing everything against the ground.

Some good practice there.

I am reluctant to engage physically myself, as I would have to give up my six feet of distance from the bad guy.
-crofter

I would say that you are not being assaulted if you remain 6 ft away. Don't telegraph what you are about to do if you have to do it. Don't try to talk your way out of it. Just be ready. The person committing an assault will know you intend to defend yourself. They are there in the first place because they already think that you are an easy target. If you telegraph your intention then they will be ready to defend themselves and might even produce a weapon. Don't put up your fists like some TV Karate man. They will not expect you to hit them in the nose, the eyes, the throat in the blink of an eye. And when that surprises them, because they came within range of your fists, you knock them on their ass and break their neck as they hit the ground. If you hesitate just to see if it worked you might end up dead. You don't get free until they can't come back at you.

If you know you can outrun them then that was and still is the best advice. But if you know you can't then you must make sure that what you do wins that war. You only get one chance to catch them off guard.

I recently had the worst day of my life. I was diagnosed with AGS. No more meat. 

I have worked in the most dangerous neighborhoods in the SF Bay Area. Survival is all about attitude. The six guys crowding around you are looking for entertainment. Make them smile without being threatening has worked for me every time. 

Nothing says power like getting the most dangerous gang in the city to help you carry a 100 gallon water heater into a basement.