Women Only: Do any of you know any self-defense...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing to think about. My career was in South Central Los Angeles. I’ve been caught in crossfire, had bullet holes in my classroom windows, been threatened with death and been in probably a hundred lockdowns. Dealt daily with hardcore gang members and never had one day of fear. Then my closet caught on fire burning that part of house down and smoke damage to the rest including smoke inhalation killing one of my two dogs who I couldn’t save. And I panicked. When I went into my room and the closet was completely filled with a roaring fire I panicked. I won’t give my life history but I haven’t had an easy life and I never once panicked.

So you don’t know how you will react. If you seriously think you are fit and strong and well-trained enough to take on a man twice your weight and muscle mass you better spend a couple of hours a day working on your moves until it becomes automatic and second nature. Including having a large male friend randomly follow you home when you aren’t expecting it and trying to take you down.
If you think you’re taking one or two self defense classes and you’re going to take down an attacker you’re delusional.

Personally, I prefer to have both the training and a weapon. But training is more important hands down. Owning a weapon may make you feel secure, but how will it actually help you when you attacked unexpectedly? Having knowledge at that moment of how to read the situation, knowing his weak spots and your strengths, will all help you get an edge in that moment. Without the training I would freeze, and my first thought would be ‘where did I stash the gun?’

I took a model mugging class about 20 years ago and it was one of the bests things I ever did for myself, it was very empowering. Besides all the information given, the simulations were key. I have never been in a fight and it took a while for me to be able let loose and hit a person with all my strength. There were several women in the group who worked out a lot of trauma in the simulations. It’s very intense and you won’t get it all from watching videos. In fact, DON’T watch the videos, just take a class if you can.

Back to the OP, any good women’s self defense or model mugging class will offer what you seek. I took mine at a college I was working for, I have also seen them offered at the Y.

My next door neighbor’s mother used to get beaten by her husband. They lived in a rough part of the state. When he left two guys decided to pay her a visit. The local sheriff had left her a shotgun (1970’s small agricultural town) When they pulled up and came to the door she stood next to the door and got the shotgun ready. Just the sound was enough for them to change their plans. In California you can’t kill anyone outside your home so hopefully it’s a deterrent. I’m willing to take my chances that I may have to fire my gun. I was a victim of a rape at 20 with many health problems as a result so after a discussion with a therapist I decided that I was willing, able and comfortable defending myself and accepting the consequences. If you are not (understandable) then you’ll make different choices.

LERCA said:
... better spend a couple of hours a day working on your moves until it becomes automatic and second nature...
This is so true, and the principle of muscle memory applies to any self defense method. Your muscles and your mind will perform what you have practiced to do.

People think guns are an equalizer, but only for the trained. Do daily dry practice with a dummy gun, or your weapon unloaded. Practice loading your weapon as fast as you can. Use a timer. Get training and your concealed carry permit in Nevada and then your home state.  Practice situational awareness all the time. Learn about your constitutional rights. Get to a level of physical fitness so you can stay in control of your firearm, as you are responsible for every bullet that is discharged. 

I like a shotgun for home defense. Others think the shotgun is too cumbersome, but I like the visual it presents to the attacker, and the unmistakable sound effects when you jack the pump. If possible I end a range practice session with the shotgun, just to compare the damage on my paper targets. 

The shotgun is classified as a long gun, and is not for concealed carry. In AZ it is legal to carry a loaded shotgun in your vehicle, see link below. You will want to have it in the cabin area and not in the cab of the vehicle in most states that permit long guns.  ~crofter

https://www.frontiercarry.org/carry-basics-az.html#:~:text=Car Carry,and shotguns) in a vehicle.

Also to post the legal bit from the site, laws change and this was dated currently: "This does not constitute, nor should be implied as, legal advice. Always seek an attorney's advice and consult state and local laws yourself. User assumes all liability for use of the information provided here. Copyright 2020 Info current as of November 2020." from frontiercarry.org   ~crofter

crofter said:
...The shotgun is classified as a long gun, and is not for concealed carry. In AZ it is legal to carry a loaded shotgun in your vehicle, see link below. You will want to have it in the cabin area and not in the cab of the vehicle in most states that permit long guns.   ~crofter

https://www.frontiercarry.org/carry-basics-az.html#:~:text=Car Carry,and shotguns) in a vehicle.
Different laws in Nevada, so when you go to Pahrump be sure to unload the shotgun.   ~crofter

"Car carry

It is legal to have a loaded handgun anywhere in your vehicle, including in the glove box, as long the weapon is not concealed on your body without a permit. Rifles and shotguns cannot have a round in the chamber." from https://www.nevadacarry.org/

Almost impossible to get a concealed carry permit in California. I was talking to a sheriff on Thanksgiving who has lived here 20+ years from MI originally and when he retires in a year he’s leaving for that among a couple of other reasons. A lot of people I used to meet back East (when I went) wouldn’t live in California for that reason.
I didn’t know that about AZ it’s good information. As the daughter of a retired trial attorney I know the legal system is not fair and is malleable-not getting into an argument. So I will continue to carry a gun and hope for the best and am willing to take the consequences. I’m no longer strong enough to use my own body for self-defense. My last three dogs were/are Pit Bulls and a lot of people are afraid of them. I feel safer with a 90 lb dog.

Old fashioned door handle, like the heavy glass kind, just the handle, inside  a long tube sock, tied so it stays in place.

When you're scared for your life you don't swing straight, you don't aim right, weapons fumble out of your hand or get taken from you and really.. you don't want to touch him anyway. You swing one of those around in front of you any which way you want but the faster the better, go on and windmill it, trust me,  I have one in each side door, glove compartment, purse.... I've only used it once... it was enough.

The faster the better, and aim for the face/head area.

Multiple attackers? No problem, grandma can spin in circles swinging her arm around in no particular direction and before she gets dizzy anyone within a few feet of her is on the ground.

Make sure your passengers know to hit the deck when they see you pull that out.

TillWheelsFallOff,

I've never thought of a weapon like that! What about just using a round rock instead of a door handle?

TillWheelsFallOff said:
Old fashioned door handle, like the heavy glass kind, just the handle, inside  a long tube sock, tied so it stays in place.
In weaponry, that is called the ball and chain flail. Does require some space to swing, where it effectively defeats the opponent's block or shield. Link to video.
-crofter

And here is a link to part 2 on flails.
-crofter

There is also another demo on the kind of spinning technique discussed earlier. I think this is something you would have to practice on the blocks of ice. -c

Yep. Go for the balls throat, eyes, solar plexus, temple. Also know how to get out of bear hug and get s guy off the top of me real quick. Still keep my machete on my hip out here in the country. I think it gives off a "don't F with me vibe." Also keep wasp spray around should I ever encounter a rabid animal or something

Also got my 410, it's a small shitty, but hey it's saved my ass a few times. When I lived in crappy cali, I had someone bust in my door. Took him a few tries and by the time he got in I was there waiting, locked and loaded. It was a good feeling to see the deer in the headlights look in his eyes and see him scram with his tail between his legs. I agree with the others. A combo of tools and knowledge is good.

I recently borrowed a book from the library titled 'Krav Maga for Women' by Levin, Hoover and Campbell.

You're not going to learn too much from still photos in a book (IMO), but it might embed some useful techniques involving certain body parts that you don't see much in guy-based fighting.

Using your elbow and feet as weapons, for instance, and if you can use your hands, use them in 'hammer fist' type movement, as opposed to the knuckle-punching moves of a man.

And it also tells which parts of the body are more sensitive to moves that a woman would be able to make. A man's groin is not the only place to aim for.