Wasp Spray for Self Defense

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary68 said:
??? 7.62 is a short to medium at best round,now my neighbors cannon that would be a long range weapon,and i never liked pistols,in a war situation sure a couple as back ups but definitely not my primary

Man, shooting a 7.62x39mm for self defense in a town or suburbs with houses and people nearby is just irresponsible. Where do you live that it's like a theater of war?

I am willing to bet that a 7.62 fired 30 degrees above the ground plane will travel miles, probably 4-5 miles. and yes if it where to hit somebody at this range it still has the potential to kill them. hell the lowly 22LR can go 1.5 miles. highdesertranger

MK7 said:
Man, shooting a 7.62x39mm for self defense in a town or suburbs with houses and people nearby is just irresponsible. Where do you live that it's like a theater of war?

sorry,but i dont want a pistol around my waist pointing at my legs and i dont want a pistol on my chest pointing at my innards so i own rifles,if you would prefer i will let the sks be and use the 30.06

btw,im in the coastal mountains of oregon,nearest suburb is at least 30 min drive

highdesertranger said:
I am willing to bet that a 7.62 fired 30 degrees above the ground plane will travel miles,  probably 4-5 miles.  and yes if it where to hit somebody at this range it still has the potential to kill them.  hell the lowly 22LR can go 1.5 miles.  highdesertranger

relatively speaking,between the iron sights and my ever blurring eyes 100 yards is as far as i can go with it,accurately,it's a fat bullet and drops quick

While a 7.62 is certainly not a Barrett .50 or .338 Laupa it is more than adequate at 500 yards. Metal sites and all. Part of qualifying with the M-14 was in the prone position at 500 yards. Carlos Hathcock used a Remington BDL 7.62 with match grade ammo for most of his kills. 

Tear gas, wasp spray or bear spray may give someone a false sense of security, but as others have suggested to deal  with someone truly intending  to hurt you....Kill them. If you have a weapon with you be prepared to use it effectively and know you may take a life. But putting your faith in a flare gun, wasp spray or a Red Ryder BB gun will get you hurt.

highdesertranger said:
I am willing to bet that a 7.62 fired 30 degrees above the ground plane will travel miles,  probably 4-5 miles.  and yes if it where to hit somebody at this range it still has the potential to kill them.  hell the lowly 22LR can go 1.5 miles.  highdesertranger

Obviously, .22LR can't penetrate walls and shit, as easily as 7.62x39mm. Then there's ricochets.  Why do you think people in poor & bad areas get hit by stray bullets the most? They shoot cheap, FMJ's meant for target practice...so it penetrates walls and keeps going. And these are just 9mm or smaller. Now imagine 7.62x39mm in a rifle that can destroy 4" concrete and go right through, after like 2-3 shots.

Gary68 said:
sorry,but i dont want a pistol around my waist pointing at my legs and i dont want a pistol on my chest pointing at my innards so i own rifles,if you would prefer i will let the sks be and use the 30.06

btw,im in the coastal mountains of oregon,nearest suburb is at least 30 min drive

Well you should have told me that you lived in the sticks when I asked you, and I wouldn't have questioned your choice of weapons.

We are off topic again. Gun are a valid topic, but which caliber to chose for self defense is a totally different thread.

No more gun posts here.
Bob