Vehicle may be making me sick,?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hello Guys and Gals a little over a week ago I hired someone to do an interior cleaning as the vehicle was very dirty from the inside

The guy vacuumed the carpets then noticed did ALOT of spraying using cleaning materials to make the dashboard as well front and back leather seats shiny

There were flies in the vehicle that are gone now

I suspect that the vehicle may be contaminated with cleaning chemicals/pesticides as I haven't been the same ever since

It's 2011 crv and runs very good.I am in the benson,az area and may need to get rid of it

Sore throat,odd sensations and tingling and skipped heart beats I notice

Doctor in urgent care gave me amoxocillin
[white spots on back of throat]

Plates for california expire January and I'm thinking to trade this in possibly for a cargo van

Kelly blue book value around 4k

Yesterday I saw a Toyota corrlla vehicle on sale for 1800 with no leather and likely not contaminated .

I saw it parked in a lot as I wdrove to Sierra vista,Az

Will trade for any vehicle that doesn't mak w me sick but prefer something larger than my 2011 crv for more space

With only California registration that has me as registered owner but title I accidently washed away in Florida after my dad signed off the title to me before we left California

Is trading this thing a possibility with just registration?

Thought about asking the owner for a trade as im really concerned about the vehicles effect on my health

I was considering heading east to try and renew my section 8 apartment as the lease in Florida will be up

Now I don't even feel safe to do this with what's been happening.

Appreciate it any suggestions?

You got some pretty thorough suggestions on dealing with this issue just a few days ago, Davsey.

https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/looking-to-trade-my-2011-honda-crv-for-a-van.47373/
If the Dr. gave you an antibiotic he must have felt that you had an infection, which would account for a lot of the symptoms you describe.

The antibiotic should have you feeling better in a few days.

In the meantime, the suggestion of airing out your vehicle thoroughly and recleaning it should help a great deal.

You can rent a steamer many places that will make this quick work, or could ask the guy who did the cleaning initially to go over everything again without using any chemicals.

Might use some of your savings to stay in a hotel for a couple of nights while you do this.

Good luck.

Davesy, one thing you might want to check is the exhaust system.

Sometimes an older vehicle (or even a newer one) can develop a small leak in the exhaust system up front, maybe in or around the exhaust headers or possibly a rusted opening near the catalytic converter.

This can cause fumes to be sucked into the HVAC system and linger in the interior when you are driving, causing a variety of symptoms. Obviously if carbon monoxide builds up to lethal levels then you wouldn't be here to tell us anything, but even very low levels of exhaust fumes can cause you to not feel well.

It happened to me a few times in my trucking career....and since the symptoms come on slowly and sometimes you cant smell the fumes, you might not know its happening.

Just sayin, have someone look at the system and make sure it's functioning correctly, no leaks. Obviously if you are parked with the engine not running for several days, and you are still feeling poorly, then the exhaust is probably not the problem, but I felt it might be worth a mention.

There are no magic solutions here, Davesey. No matter how many times you ask.

What people here have accomplished they have done through lots and lots of hard work and tough choices.

Find someone you trust.
Sit down with them.
Make a detailed plan.
Then work that plan, one step at a time.

The sooner you start on that, the better off you'll be, and the more of your savings you're likely to have left once you get on an even keel.

Just by ventilating the vehicle for an extended period of time you should be able to get rid of most of the contaminants... The chemicals used in cleaning products are generally speaking (from a chemistry standpoint) fairly volatile. So warm weather with open windows and it should get your vehicle habitable again fairly quickly. If it works you won't need to try and swap it out after all.

Unless you have the title slip you are going to have a hard time with any private transaction regarding this vehicle. A dealership may be willing to take it as a trade-in, but you will not be getting the greatest value on it by doing that.

No title in most if not all states for a vehicle of your vintage = No Sale.
Not even to a salvage yard!

Your best course would be to re register it, (somehow???), and have your dad apply for a new/duplicate title.

There are other ways to obtain a title that some car dealers are aware of.
Good luck on your path forward...

Just by ventilating the vehicle for an extended period of time you should be able to get rid of most of the contaminants...
I agree. Heat will accelerate the process. Park it in the sun, windows down an inch or two. See how it is in a week.

I think you'll have better luck and get more information, both for yourself and for everyone else needing similar information if you can keep your posting of the same topic to one thread.
You started this thread, with information that would have been helpful to know in your other thread regarding the type of surfaces you had cleaned etc.

Last edited:
Section 48 housing on a bus line with no car ownership needed sounds like a potential solution to get you out of your current situation.

If you had white spots and the doctor gave you an antibiotic he was treating you for strep. Yes, open up vehicle and air it out. Yes, get the exhaust checked. Another option is air cleaning plants. There are several plants that have proven to remove chemicals from the air. I believe spider plants are one. Check the internet, there are several articles about it.

Just get a replacement of your auto registration. Call or visit the registration office in the state it's registered with to find out what you need to do.

If you clean your vehicle yourself, you can use safe products.

You cannot sell or trade a vehicle legally in any state without having the title. No one is likely to do a private transaction with you because they'd not be able to register the car without the title being signed over to them.

But you can get a replacement title. It just costs whatever your state charges to replace it, and you'd have to go to the state it was registered or titled in to get the new title. (Not sure which).

The vehicle is not making you sick in all probability, from everything you have said.
Having a car cleaned rarely makes anyone sick unless you already have severe chemical sensitivities, in which case you'd know it and wouldn't have had it cleaned.
Correlation is not the same as causation. Just because your car was cleaned prior to your getting sick doesn't mean it is the cause. You probably have strep throat and it will be cured by antibiotics.
Best of luck to you.

Just get a replacement of your auto registration. Call or visit the registration office in the state it's registered with to find out what you need to do.

If you clean your vehicle yourself, you can use safe products.
I think it is the title that is missing rather than the registration. But it can be replaced the same.

You cannot sell or trade a vehicle legally in any state without having the title. No one is likely to do a private transaction with you because they'd not be able to register the car without the title being signed over to them.

But you can get a replacement title. It just costs whatever your state charges to replace it, and you'd have to go to the state it was registered or titled in to get the new title. (Not sure which).

The vehicle is not making you sick in all probability, from everything you have said.
Having a car cleaned rarely makes anyone sick unless you already have severe chemical sensitivities, in which case you'd know it and wouldn't have had it cleaned.
Correlation is not the same as causation. Just because your car was cleaned prior to your getting sick doesn't mean it is the cause. You probably have strep throat and it will be cured by antibiotics.
Best of luck to you.
You'd be surprised what chemicals can do to someone with a weak immune system

Are you physically unable to clean the car yourself?

Are you physically unable to clean the car yourself?
I used some Clorox disinfectant wipes from Walmart and then a friend's ozone generator an still get the immune reactivity inside the vehicle

Got slammed with smog in tuscon which I notice is worse than phoenix

The section 8 office sent a letter in south Florida that my downstairs neighbor took a picture of and sent to my dad in Sacramento

I'll be up for recertification on November 7th as it's 90 days till the lease expires in southwest Florida

The place where I got ill from black mold

It would be nice to snowbird in southeasr Florida along the beaches and it seems like driving cross country may be problematic With the contamination in the vehicle

As my environmental doctor is there who is one of the few in the country that believes mold and high level emf fields are problematic and supports disability

God bless her

Being out in shorts and t-shirts all winter seems to help if I can avoid the mold in Florida

Was thinking to transfer from southwest Florida to southeast Florida as it seems nicer in certain areas and hope I don't draw another bad apartment to where I can at least have a home base

Or transfer the housing from southwest Florida to a low population area in the Los Angeles /San Bernadino County and snowbird in Florida until hurricane season comes

I did find an apartment in a sierra vista,Arizona that would take section 8 and the manager mentioned transferring it between housing authorities and they should be able to get me in

It would be cold in the winter though at 4,500 ft elevation

Either way driving this vehicle cross country is a concern

If it was a rented uhaul cargo van I probably could do it as interior metal can be powerwashed

Clorox wipes were not a good choice. Bleach is a disinfectant, not a solvent like water. A washcloth with a mild soap and water would have been better.
Here's a bit from the Clorox wipes MSDS and some more information from another website which lists several symptoms and reactions that align with the Clorox MSDS.

From the Clorox wipes MSDS:
General information:
Inhalation: The severity of the symptoms described will vary dependent on the concentration and the length of exposure.
Irritation of nose, throat and airway. Prolonged inhalation of high concentrations may damage respiratory system.
Ingestion:May cause stomach pain or vomiting. Fumes from the stomach contents may be inhaled, resulting in the same symptoms as inhalation.
Skin contact: Irritating to skin. Redness.
Eye contact: Irritating to eyes. Redness.

EPA Statement
This chemical is a pesticide product registered by the Environmental Protection Agency and is subject to certain labeling requirements under federal pesticide law . These requirements differ from the classification criteria and hazard information r equired for safety data sheets, and for w orkplace labels of non-pesticide chemicals. Follow ing is the hazard information as required on the pesticide label:
EPA Pesticide label
CAUTION: Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes or clothing. Wash thoroughly w ith soap and w ater after handling. Wear gloves for prolonged or frequent use.

From: https://blog.mapleholistics.com/blog/danger-clorox-wipes/

Are Clorox wipes really the best option for your home or office?
The reason you would use disinfecting wipes is because you want to kill germs and bacteria. The chemicals in these wipes not only remove germs, but actually kill them off. Sounds intense? It is. And unfortunately, those same chemicals can cause bad reactions when they come into contact with your skin.
You might not even make the connection between Clorox wipes and your reaction, especially if it’s only mild. Mild reactions to Clorox wipes include things like red, itchy, or peeling skin. You might break out in hives or suddenly find yourself suffering from flu-like symptoms such as watery eyes, sneezing and congestion, or an itchy nose or mouth.
But there can be more severe allergic reactions to Clorox wipes as well. Coughing, difficulty breathing, nausea with or without vomiting, or swelling of the throat or face all point to a severe and life-threatening allergic reaction. If you suffer from asthma, using Clorox wipes can trigger an asthma attack.