Women Only: Do any of you know any self-defense...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
... that doesn't involve guns, knives or clubs?  Just your brain, hands and feet.

I've watched some YouTube videos where women get into a fight with men, and they're so ineffective that they're ludicrous -- like spitting at a charging rhino.

And if you don't, why not?

I went through LEO training which included arrest control and basic hand to hand (no weapons) take down procedures. Of course that was a few years ago and I don't remember all of it, but I do remember some. I really need a refresher course at this point. I'm definitely thinking about taking a Krav Maga class if I can find one.

Yes, I've been pretty extensively trained in self defense. How well you do varies tremendously based on almost innumerable factors, health, height, weight, expertise, adrenaline level, how willing to commit to the situation... and this goes for both sides of the attack.

Biggest hurdle is your head, we've been told from birth that we are weak and we should "be nice", massive mental hurdles to doing well in self defense. But I find most women feel very empowered when they start staking self defense, they start to realize they don't have to be a passive victim waiting to be saved.

Tai Chi is very good for using your opponent's weight and momentum against them without having to expend as much effort. Aikido is also good. I did karate but never had to use it what with the big dogs I travel with and the nothing worth stealing I surround myself with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a purple belt in Tang Soo Do, a defensive martial art, and training on take downs. I recommend all, even young people, to take a basic self defense course. In that you should learn to think...and act.... run away and how if you can... but how little strength it takes to rip an ear off or break a person's pinkie finger...causing excruciating pain and giving you time to run or grab something else. (My class taught us how to rip through jeans to a man's crotch...but I no longer have the strength for that!) Kneeing or plastering a good backwards fist works well too. ;)

Take one class.... in basic "women's" self defense! Then practice it...so it kicks in when (if) a situation arises... like mine did.

Krav Maga (Israeli army- based self defense) may fit the bill, though I don't know much about the specifics of the discipline.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Im also looking into taking a Krav Maga class. From my understanding its basic steps that address how to handle real life mugging/attack situations...for example what to do if someone grabs you from behind..etc.
LilNomad

I use my voice and stay in command of the situation. 360 degree mindset. And of course glock perfection.

I have a 1st deg blackbelt in American Kenpo and have trained in Kajukembo, Kali and Salat as well.   All told about 15 years of martial arts practice.  I would say a bit of training will not do you much good unless you practice often. Knowing a technique in your head isn't much use if you don't have the muscle memory to execute quickly and under stress. Even better if you can practice in a sparring situation to help you get over the shock of getting hit.    I've seen a lot of people just freeze the first time they get hit hard.   In my Kajukembo dojo, we called the bruises "honor tattoos".  It wasn't just the guys with testosterone poisoning... it was considered important to know how to take a hit as well as how to avoid one, because in a self-defence situation, the chances of getting hit are pretty high.

Even if you carry a fire arm, you need to practice often, not just shooting, but getting the gun from your holster/purse/glove box to your hand, getting the safety off, etc, all without losing sight of the threat.  I taught some self defence seminars for women and would always ask who carries.  I would them give them a rubber practice handgun and tell them to put it where they normally carry theirs.  I would then stand about 20 feet away, tell them i was going to attack on the count of three.  In 2 years of teaching that seminar, not a single person could draw on me before I attacked them.  From 20ft, with a count down.  

Your best defense is always situational awareness and trusting your gut instinct. If the situation doesn't feel right and you have the urge to leave, don't talk yourself out of it.  Just go.

Any woman who has served in the military has received that kind of training. I have seen a number of former military women featured in the RV youtube channels. Not sure how many of them would be likely to hang around this forum as they are pretty much self sufficient types who can make good decisions and do research and read instruction manuals too. Plus they are not going to be afraid to go camping in the wilderness on their own.

I hope all the women here reach that level of self confidence and self reliance in their lives. It is a good goal to strive towards. I don't have their military influenced self discipline or their combat training but I do OK with the rest of it.

For a weapon in my car, I have scissors, pepper spray that's very old, small knife, my phone, auto alarm, sometimes a plastic bag of pee.

TrainChaser said:
... that doesn't involve guns, knives or clubs?  Just your brain, hands and feet.

I've watched some YouTube videos where women get into a fight with men, and they're so ineffective that they're ludicrous -- like spitting at a charging rhino.

Model Mugging. The "attackers" wear protective clothing so you can go full-force against them, and they study actual attacks and recreate those scenarios. Attackers in real life frequently use their words to intimidate and control you, and somehow I found those words more upsetting than the physical danger.

It's intense. 

www.modelmugging.org

There are you tube videos.

1st Degree BB in American Kenpo here.

Watching youtube videos will not improve your ability to defend yourself. Get with a qualified martial arts instructor. Which style is less important than practicing on a living/breathing body, practicing on partners of varying size and shape, and developing a habit of frequent practice.

Reasons for this:
1. Unless you've had a fist/foot/club thrown at you and walked away, you will flinch or freeze when it happens in real life. Even more so if you actually get hit.
2. You have to understand weapons vs. targets. If you hit someone's jaw with your fist improperly, you break your hand and sprain your wrist. At the very least, it will hurt like hell. Fists are better for soft targets (solar plexus, kidneys, crotch).
3. Training and practice helps you learn to breath and to relax. Holding your breath will rob you of the energy to flee when you can or to sustain the fight if you can't. Without practice, I guarantee most people will hold their breath; it's the hardest thing to teach new students. Tensing your body robs you of speed and power.

Your best first defense is always environmental awareness. If the area feels unsafe, leave. Scan your environment when walking to/from your vehicle. Don't walk around with your eyes locked on your phone...

maki2 said:
Any woman who has served in the military has received that kind of training. 

Not necessarily true.  My husband served in the Marines for 20 years.  While he was strong, fitter than you can believe, and was a master marksman, he received very little hand-to-hand combat training beyond boot camp.   In hand-to-hand (and he admits this), I could kick his ass with my ten years of karate training.

Lol Crofter. Have to agree with you. I’ve just finished watching about 20 videos on women highly trained in self-defense and martial arts get taken down by mostly untrained men. Muscle mass. I grew up with two brothers so I while I highly recommend self-defense classes for some tricks, I’ll keep my bear spray and gun and hope to God I don’t have to use them.

TrainChaser said:

Dude, I did tae kwon do when I was 35 or so for a couple of years, and it does build confidence while you are at it.
But now I'm 63, and confidence alone would not keep anyone from whooping my a$$ets.
I find it much more fitting to rely on hardware these days.

I take a self-defense class and I LOVE it. I'm very fortunate to have found an instructor who focuses on simple techniques that rely on physics and body mechanics to be effective; we also "stress drill" regularly. Years of JKD, Muay Thai, Kali, Wing Chun, none of them helped me as much as even just a few months of his class. He focuses on attacks MOST LIKELY to happen in the street - empty hand, gun, knife - and simple techniques that work against anyone, no matter the size difference. It's based heavily on Krav Maga but borrows from other arts as well. My mom who is in her late 60's came to a seminar and was able to pick up some skills that even she could use. But situational awareness is key, paying attention to your surroundings, and the mental aspect of being prepared to fight back with extreme violence. I think watching surveillance videos of real-life attacks can be helpful, it will give you an idea of what could come in the worst situation. The instructional self-defense videos, not really that great, hands-on training is much better. And repetition is important, so you can react to a situation without thinking. Hopefully, you never have to.

Sofisintown said:
But now I'm 63, and confidence alone would not keep anyone from whooping my a$$ets.
I find it much more fitting to rely on hardware these days.

Overall, there are very few women who can outfight a man using brute strength.  A self-defense course based on actual thinking instead of useless knee-jerk reactions, using a man's habits and weaknesses against him, etc, would  seem to be a better program.