Landrover re configure into a one person home on wheels.... TELL BOB.. POOP

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaky roof

Reaction score
So as promised, here’s going to the toilet....

I’ve got several different systems that I use,  depending on what I’m doing, but the can be grouped into 3 groups, the cassette toilet (Thetford) The cat trench and the plastic bag groups... All of you know them so this is not really about the  “equipment”, more about the “how to”

Firstly, I’m not a fan of the chemical toilet / cassette toilet. For no other reason than, because of the chemicals when I go dispersed, I have to carry a full cassette out again. Nothing to do with the smell, If you use the right chemical, it’s completely odourless. And so simple to discharge.

Also, there is the possibility of it becomming full and I’m dispersed, there is no safe discharge station, as most campsites are on some kind of “French-drain” system and discharging it into their system can cause real damage... This you all know.

Non the less here are some tips.... A dishwashing scrubbing brush works exceptionally well as a toilet brush (just don’t get your dish brush and your toilet brush mixed) EEK! :D

Because of its size it stows inside the bowl when the loo is packed up.

Then (now you’re going to howl with laughter, but this I only figured out just before I stopped using mine.... Use it with the gate valve (the slide valve that seperates the top 7 bottom tanks) OPEN! Since forever I’ve been ished about poop building up in the bowl while I’m sitting...... Go figure! but you don't know that you don't know.....(OK now you can laugh).....

Third tip. At 60 it’s darn hard to get up off the lower one (like I’ve got), so turn a milk crate upside down and put it on that. When stowed it fits neatly inside the crate. Then it’s just about the right height for a rally comfortable “Income tax payment” booth!

So that’s all I’m going to say about cassette toilets, unless somebody asks, then I’ll go into it a bit more.

That brings me to the “cat trench”- and I’ll post a picture of my “house of parliament”. Here I dig the trench 1 spade width wide and 200 – 300mm deep to keep things in the biosphere so that the organisms in the soil will break it down. Deeper, the soil is sterile and shallower it can be dug up by animals.

Then each time I use I throw top soil over my income tax payment, until I have to move the shelter forward as the trench fills.
But here is my trick. When I leave, I over fill the trench so that there is a heap over where the trench was, and compact it with the wheels of the car. This squishes everything properly into the ground and makes it very difficult for it to be dug up..

But both of the above are when I’m static dispersed camping.

What I really want to talk about is pooping on the road, or when it’s not a case of a casual stroll to the house of parliament with the Sunday news-paper in your hand, but those times when you have the runs and you have to go...

So, here’s what I do... And It works brilliantly for emergencies / on the go roadside , which I’ll probably be doing for quite a while, with this series of touring / stealth / boondocking adventures.... Particularly roadside..

For a pee, at night, I simply use the standard wide opening bottle, mine just happens to be an old swimming pool chlorine granule bottle
But having a poop while on the road is just as simple...

I have a metal frame that opens, to which a seat clips and the seat holds a plastic shopping bag. As a toilet. All of which, including a bag of cat litter is stowed in the “buddy bag” which straps to the spare wheel on the back door.

When I take my le’petite loo out of the buddy bag, I just put a handful or two of cat litter into the plastic bag..

Hen I simply park on the side of the road, at 45 deg to oncoming traffic. That acts as a screen.

Then I open the front and back doors, clamp a piece of electrical wiring plastic conduit tubing across the end of the two doors (clamped by the window, between the window and the top of the window frame), Then I use my sleeping bag as a curtain and I’m 100 % private...

Ok, so two things, learned from bitter experience.... USE 2 BAGS / POOP!  (one inside the other) Sheesh, it’s a mess if the bag breaks, and please please make sure the ring that clips the bag is 100 % seated in the seat..   Or it will pinch you “there” and that.... Well that’s not so much fun at all.....

So Once I’ve pooped I knot the bag, and simply stow on the roof rack until I can dispose of it....

So, without anymore blah....blah...blah... Again pictures......

MY DISPERSED STATIC CAMP HOUSE OF PARLIMENT DEPLOYED ON A CAT TRENCH
Remote camping 11.jpg

HOW I PAID INCOME TAX ON THE ROAD WITH MY PREVIOUS RIG
(I parked off on the side of the road and backed up so that my self-built camper and my tug where at 45deg to oncomming and passing traffic, this maade a private inside corner. Loo out, and towel over my legs & I was happy to pay my daily dues...
Trailer configured for roadside stop-over.jpg

MY NEW ROADSIDE HOUSE OF PARLIMENT STOWAGE IN THE BUDDY BAG ON THE SPARE WHEEL
landy re config 6 poop h stowage in buddy bag.jpg

BETWEEN BACK AND FRONT OFF-SIDE DOORS
landy re config 6 poop b poop room.jpg

HOW EFFECTIVELY I'M SCREENED OFF
landy re config 6 poop a door screens.jpg

WITH MY SLEEPING BAG HUNG OVER THE CROSS BAR AS A PRIVY CURTAIN
If I need it / have time to use it.... :dodgy: I use my sleeping bag because it works well and I don't have to have someting else... Space... space....Space
landy re config 6 poop e totally private.jpg

ANOTHER VIEW FROM THE OTHER SIDE
landy re config 6 poop f door screens.jpg

MY SEAT IN THE HOUSE OF PARLIMENT
landy re config 6 poop g field toilet.jpg

Attachments

• Remote camping 11.jpg
    Remote camping 11.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Trailer configured for roadside stop-over.jpg
    Trailer configured for roadside stop-over.jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 10
  • landy re config 6 poop b poop room.jpg
    landy re config 6 poop b poop room.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • landy re config 6 poop a door screens.jpg
    landy re config 6 poop a door screens.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • landy re config 6 poop e totally private.jpg
    landy re config 6 poop e totally private.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • landy re config 6 poop f door screens.jpg
    landy re config 6 poop f door screens.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • landy re config 6 poop g field toilet.jpg
    landy re config 6 poop g field toilet.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • landy re config 6 poop h stowage in buddy bag.jpg
    landy re config 6 poop h stowage in buddy bag.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 7
Outstanding info! Pooping on the road eventually will be a necessary, delicate and could be an embarrassing maneuver. We probably should practice at home.

Latest posts