When a pet needs things like surgery…

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NctryBen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My eight year old dog hurt her cruciate ligament. I’ve been battling things on my body. And have been patient with trying to get her in. I keep being put off. I’m in Tucson area and have brought her to Nogales at the animal hospital and on my third attempt to see the right dr…
Hard to get in anywhere and heading up to Utah in a couple weeks after months in Arizona south of Tucson.
I contacted a clinic in Utah and there it’ll cost almost $5000. I’m like that’s both my kidneys! I’m at a loss and ready to figure out whatever I need to do…
Vet clinics are hard to get into on the road and expensive!!! Not sure what to do…

Sorry to hear about your situation, having an animal companion is difficult no matter what your situation. I’ve had several, the last one 17 years. I resigned myself to no longer taking responsibility for an animal as I am not able financially or emotionally. Again my thoughts and prayers are with you and your animal friend.

My eight year old dog hurt her cruciate ligament. I’ve been battling things on my body. And have been patient with trying to get her in. I keep being put off. I’m in Tucson area and have brought her to Nogales at the animal hospital and on my third attempt to see the right dr…
Hard to get in anywhere and heading up to Utah in a couple weeks after months in Arizona south of Tucson.
I contacted a clinic in Utah and there it’ll cost almost $5000. I’m like that’s both my kidneys! I’m at a loss and ready to figure out whatever I need to do…
Vet clinics are hard to get into on the road and expensive!!! Not sure what to do…
Hey there! Sorry to hear about your puppers. Too late now, but FYI, pet insurance would have covered this type of procedure. May be worth pursuing if your pup is getting up in age and these things will start happening more often. They still won't cover pre-existing issues like this one, but a lot of other issues will be covered. Find one that doesn't require you pay up front and then reimburses you.

I do some small scale rescue in NC and we have a number of Facebook groups where we can do crowdfunding to help pay for care for animals we are rehoming. I would schedule the visit, and when we arrive, post the quote, and then people start calling in their donations to cover the visit. I would suggest this, except it doesn't seem that the nomad community is that connected in this way. I plan on getting on the road and I keep thinking having an animal emergency fund available for nomads would be pretty awesome. People could donate, maybe even find vets willing to donate time and services, like maybe at the RTR. The most critical events are urinary blocks in cats and bloat in dogs, which are very expensive to treat anywhere, but especially out West. There is also a nationwide critical shortage of vets available which is why you are having trouble getting in.

Not sure where in Utah you are going, but I suggest contacting the Humane Society of Utah as they have a number of resources. Salt Lake City seems to be pretty friendly to the needy. I would also look for other local animal groups that can offer assistance or guidance. Don't hesitate to call yourself homeless if needed. I would look for a low cost clinic where possible, but keep in mind, this surgery will be expensive anywhere. Not sure if moving further East is an option, but things do get cheaper and there are more options available due to the increased density. Free camping is more limited, but we do still have National Forests, truck stops, rest areas and Cracker Barrels.

I wish you the best and hope you can get the care you need. Kisses to the pup! <3

Someone mentioned veterinary colleges. Good idea, might be a bit of a process. Residency may be a concern.

Humane Society of Utah (or whatever state you end up in)
https://www.utahhumane.org/blog/resources-for-pets-people-in-utah

Hildegarde’s Food Pantry: Pets of the Homeless (may be able to direct you to other resources)
231 E 100 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
(801) 328-2303
www.petsofthehomeless.org
Pets of the Homeless provides relief to homeless people and their pets in the form of food, resources, emergency care, and support.

I have walked in your shoes before having paid the budget busting cost of surgery for animals. I even had my second husband making divorce noises over a $700 surgery that guaranteed successful results. You and Kira are in my thoughts as you work through this crisis.

Here is a great Youtube channel for preventative care, natural healing and common sense options for your pet before going to a vet. It is important, though, to understand what you can and cannot manage on your own. <3

https://www.youtube.com/@VeterinarySecrets

Thanks for responses… it’s very difficult when I only have a short time left here…
Had a long night with the pup…
I’m not looking for handouts and stuff like that… it’s just getting in to see someone. And I’m stuck here a couple more weeks.
Just not having any luck getting answers. Like, options… etc. I’ve read stuff on line and for one thing I’m not sure she should be in this kinda pain. I’ve got people saying oh it’ll heal on its own… to the one place I’ve got scheduled actually just in case in Utah where they just put in a plate and be done with it. I’m still looking…

Thanks for responses… it’s very difficult when I only have a short time left here…
Had a long night with the pup…
I’m not looking for handouts and stuff like that… it’s just getting in to see someone. And I’m stuck here a couple more weeks.
Just not having any luck getting answers. Like, options… etc. I’ve read stuff on line and for one thing I’m not sure she should be in this kinda pain. I’ve got people saying oh it’ll heal on its own… to the one place I’ve got scheduled actually just in case in Utah where they just put in a plate and be done with it. I’m still looking…
One of the things that vets do give dogs for muscle pain and to help them get some rest is an inexpensive, mild muscle relaxer I have been taking for years. The prescription is called methocarbamal, spelled metocarbamol in Mexico. Nowadays I buy it when I go into Mexico, it is not expensive and it does not knock you on your backside with the dizzy woosies. You can look up the recommended dosage on the vet med sights. Here is a photo of the label of the bottle I got in Mexico. It might be just right thing to help Kira be more comfortable with her muscle issue until you a get her into a proper clinic for treatment. Get a couple of bottles, it is handy stuff to have in a medicine cabinet for older guys who are prone to doing stuff they shouldn’t be doing with their muscles 💪 you can clear it with your own doctor to have some on hand for “just in case” while you are traveling. My doctors have approved it for me to have it on my regular refill list to take as needed at the first sign when my spinal injuries flair up into muscle spasms. It has been on that list for over 30 years. It keeps me out of the doctors’ offices
IMG_1591.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is some more info about dogs taking it
IMG_1592.jpeg

If only it was just a muscle strain… I doubt there is a pill that will reattach a ligament… thanks though…
People said stuff like that for my shoulder. You’re not going to fix muscles tore off, tendons and ligaments tore off by masking pain. Now that it’s been as long as it has the ligament could be shrunk to much to fix. Dog pushing nine and some on The heavier side won’t take well to three legs. So a slight chance they replace the ligament with a plate for a dog her size will work. She’s getting worse fast. So I don’t think she’ll make it to the twentieth.

Seeing your pets and human family members in pain is very difficult to go through especially when best efforts to get them help go nowhere and you yourself have medical issues preventing going for help elsewhere.

I know that pain killers cannot fix medical issues. All they do is help prevent your brain from feeling the pain as intensely. Muscle relaxers cannot repair ligaments and muscles, they just help with pain management. If methocarbamol could have fixed my back injuries it would have done so decades ago.