Reintroduction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpmhart333

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the site got 'refurbished' not long ago I received the notice that it was changing and it brought me back; some years back--six? eight? now that I'm 857 months old, those things kinda run together--when my wife fell ill and wanted to fulfill a dream of hers and see a Broadway Show, we purchased a van and (with instruction from the forums on-site, I can't recall if I even made any posts, just read) had a fairly successful (or at least not disastrous) 8300-mile tour around the country.
UNsuccessful in that we didn't see a Broadway show--we did get into Manhattan for a day, but circumstances didn't permit, though we did get to see a production at Steppenwolf Theatre in Chicago, which was better than anything I'd seen on Broadway in my abandoned youth--and in the fact it befouled my neck with arthritis, but successful in that it reminded me how little I really LIKE to be on the road for long stretches...and we didn't kill each other. (which many might find important)
The van is gone...we donated it to a homeless Vet who may have been a scam artist--I'm not hunting him down to find out since I have a bad temper for grifters--but we downsized from house renting to a park-model trailer in caring for her, and I picked up a fairly-gently used but quite old Class C that I'm slowly working on and plan to downsize further to should I outlive her. It'll also be a park model, though there may be some short trips.
(not many, that 460 Ford goes through gas like a 1980s stockbroker through cocaine)
Basically that Class C is going to be my Unabomber cabin from which I can compose my Manifestos if all goes according to plan.
So, having been reminded of VLF, my Avatar face (a lovely "R", which is the MPAA rating for some of my life) present, I am now back amongst the site-dwellers. Had to re-enlist since it was impossible to find my old password and it stumped me on getting to a moderator/administrator to change it, but no harm/no foul/just gritted teeth.
Good to be back, though. The walls are tired of listening to me.
(and I'm tired of their opinions, but don't let them know that. they could fall in on me when least expected.)
(and I'm NOT paranoid. somewhere in this mess there's a semi-official document that vaguely hints at that.)
Regards to all. Stay Safe. Don't eat anything larger than yourself.
Robert P.M. Hart
Church of the Immense Prophets
(an actual Oregon non-profit corp)

Thank you for your kind words. Let's hope you don't regret them. Stay hoopy and carry a spare towel for your companion.
Unfortunately the companion is recently in memoriam, but yeah, I used to have towels for both of us in his pack. Funny how something fictional and meant to be comedic can truly be universally useful. I try to always know where my towel is, but Sharpie (my companion) was really the hoopy one.

How apropos you use term "universally useful" in reference to Douglas Adams' creations. I often doubt it's really fiction, but personally work to hang in the sky like bricks don't.
I raise my glass to Sharpie.

I doubt they're of much use/interest, but if you could tell me about when they were dated it'd make me feel a whole lot older and more decrepit, I'm sure.
And I can use All of that stuff I can get. Keeps me from feeling young, facing a whole lifetime of chilling misadventures and bad decisions.
Mmm, mmm, mmm...give me a steamin' plateful of THAT mush, okay?
Many thanks,
rpmh

Welcome back.

I drive a 1989 Class C with a 460. The price of its cocaine has gone up. Last fuel was $4.499/gal, cost per mile is $0.60.

Eats into the savings I get when I am not staying in the RV park, summer about $230 on full rent and electric. Driving 383 miles/month I would be not saving money, but to be somewhere else is almost priceless. There will be no long distances between sites.

I like the old style, after throwing out the two easy chairs and the jackknife couch in the living room, I have lots of space to work with. The roof is a vast surface to mount solar panels, I'm at six 100W panels, with space for two more. Modern roofs are cluttered.

I look at modern floor plans and they look tight. I saw one newer Class C with solar panels mounted on a frame that was on struts with clearance above the vents and what not on the roof.

I'm dispersing locally until June 1st, when it's too hot to be in this neighborhood. I hope sanity returns by then and they don't prolong the high fuel prices as a financial lockdown.

Last edited:
Welcome back.

I drive a 1989 Class C with a 460. The price of its cocaine has gone up. Last fuel was $4.499/gal, cost per mile is $0.60.

Eats into the savings I get when I am not staying in the RV park, summer about $230 on full rent and electric. Driving 383 miles/month I would be not saving money, but to be somewhere else is almost priceless. There will be no long distances between sites.

I like the old style, after throwing out the two easy chairs and the jackknife couch in the living room, I have lots of space to work with. The roof is a vast surface to mount solar panels, I'm at six 100W panels, with space for two more. Modern roofs are cluttered.

I look at modern floor plans and they look tight. I saw one newer Class C with solar panels mounted on a frame that was on struts with clearance above the vents and what not on the roof.

I'm dispersing locally until June 1st, when it's too hot to be in this neighborhood. I hope sanity returns by then and they don't prolong the high fuel prices as a financial lockdown.
I'm seeing 4.55 to 4.80/G hereabouts, so I'm glad mine is still in storage awaiting my nibbling away at its strip out. It's an '84 but has pretty low miles and hasn't been used since I picked it up a couple of years ago. How long before that I dunno...
But I gotta ask...is that a circa '66 McLaren M6 as your avatar? Ahhh...takes me back to the Mid-Ohio Can-Am of my youth.
Anyway, safe travels. May ye cross into the Twilight Zone just long enough to find one of those stations selling gas for .21/G...like it was back in the Can-Am days...and fill 'er up.