How to store bags of poo until you can dump them at a trash receptacle?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36413

Reaction score
OK, this is kind of embarrassing and I hope I am posting this in the right place. I will be minivan/car camping with a Caravan Tent for shade and shelter.

I purchased a portable potty to use when there are no toilet facilities available like BLM dispersed camping.

OK, so I just realized that after using this (pooping into a bag) I close up the bag and maybe put that in another bag to make sure it doesn't leak out.

So, my question is this: How to store the poop bags until I can properly dispose of them in a trash receptacle? Do I need to get a bucket with a screw top lid to put them in to keep the stink out of my minivan/camp site area?

I know some animals are attracted by human waste so I don't want to attract a bear or something dangerous either.

I think until I come up with a solution I will try to camp near a potty in the LVTAs like La Posa North or similar places.

I won't get to the RTR until Jan 12th. I hope I can still find a spot to set up near a toity, LOL.

Please advise!

Attachments

• Pooper.jpg
    Pooper.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
The moderator will be along to move this to the right section..........WELCOME

The most important thing is don't mix #1 & #2............That's when shit stinks !

Put #1 in a jug........#2 in a good bag (We like Tall-Kitchen) tie bag closed w/no air and leave it right in the "bucket"

Lots of threads in the 'Personal Hygiene' forum.

Not mixing is key.
Pee in a laundry detergent jug.
Poop bags stored in a 5 gallon bucket with Gamma Seal lid = no smell.

OK, this is kind of embarrassing and I hope I am posting this in the right place. I will be minivan/car camping with a Caravan Tent for shade and shelter.

I purchased a portable potty to use when there are no toilet facilities available like BLM dispersed camping.

OK, so I just realized that after using this (pooping into a bag) I close up the bag and maybe put that in another bag to make sure it doesn't leak out.

So, my question is this: How to store the poop bags until I can properly dispose of them in a trash receptacle? Do I need to get a bucket with a screw top lid to put them in to keep the stink out of my minivan/camp site area?

I know some animals are attracted by human waste so I don't want to attract a bear or something dangerous either.

I think until I come up with a solution I will try to camp near a potty in the LVTAs like La Posa North or similar places.

I won't get to the RTR until Jan 12th. I hope I can still find a spot to set up near a toity, LOL.

Please advise!
There are no bears at the LTVAs and La Posa North has lots of vault toilets. You can get a map showing where the vault toilets are at the visitor entrance building.

The RTR seminars do include a potty training class that will teach you all about it. If you can’t hold it that long you can watch video lessons on dealing with your poop from the man himself, Bob Wells, on the cheaprvliving YouTube channel.

Last edited:
I learned this method from Bob and the director on HOWA. I forget her name.

a 5 gallon bucket, a 13 gallon trash bag lining the bucket, then I put in my 13 gallon potty bag, I then put down some cat litter (the cheapest stuff works fine) Then I did my duty. My TP went into the bag, my wet wipes I used to "finish wiping clean" went into my TRASH bag, then the final dry TP wipes went into the potty bag.

Then I would usually sit on the bed while I pulled out the bag from the bucket and clamped near the bottom and squeezed out the air. and tied if off.

A BONUS STEP. before tying it close I had some crystal fabric softener air freasher that made things smell wonderful. At times I used that as a bonus if smells were of a concern. ie you been eating a poor diet of junk that makes your BM's extra stinky.

anyways.. after tying the bag I would THEN fold it inside out and double bag it in the same bag and tie it off again. 30% of the times I could tripple tie it or at least triple layer it without tying it.

THEN that bag went inside a ziplock baggy the gallon sized bags worked best. PRO TIP take time to squeeze out the extra air as it will save space inside the 5 gallon bucket.

ANOTHER tip is place 5-6 zip lock bags into a retail sack... then you can take that retail sack out to make more room in the bucket to do your duty again.

I stayed in my minivan 2 weeks at a time and had 2 weeks worth of "Duty" in my 5 gallon bucket. Only issue I ran into was towards the end of that 2 weeks I had to take several ziplock bags to have room in for my Duty to sink and not be so close to the top when I'm doing my Duty..

I know TMI but I never had much of an issue with smells. I just had the cheap lid for the bucket as well. I first started with the expensive screw on seal lid but it broke quickly because I was sitting on the rim when the lid was off and it eventually wore out.

Oh and I would typically throw a beach towel over the lid to make it a nice table. by my bed. and to block the suns rays from hitting it directly.

I even started using this method at the LTVA. if babies can poop in diapers I can poop in a bag and throw it in the trash. ...I'm just a big baby I guess, meh.

As for pee, I used the Arizona Tea bottles they are wide neck and very strong plastic. I would change them every few months and my 5 gallon bucket I would as well. Mainly because I Tended to do my duty leaning forward on the bucket as to make it less pressure on my behind. That caused the bucket to crack on the bottom much quicker.

I did this all inside a minivan mind you!

I now have a 3 gallon bucket which works 10x better but I wouldn't stay out 14 days at a time like I did back then..

I know there are cheaper alternatives to cat litter that I would be trying if I was still in my minivan. But the method would still be the same. I still would strongly recommend this method AND make sure you have the crystal fragrance fabric softener as just somthing to cover up the smell just in case. I always had some poured out on the bottom of the bucket and then I would store my TP, baby wipes, hand sanitizer bottle, trash bag roll and the Crystals bottle in there. That way it was al ready to go in a moments notice. I kept the zip lock bags in a different location.

Super easy method. And yes, it's weird pooping in a 5gallon bucket in the back of a minivan during the day with window coverings and it being 80 degrees outside and 90+ inside. But... it becomes less weird once you realize how simple and clean it is. Plus if you eat a good diet it makes it even more easy.

If you have that food poisoning diarea that cleans out your system this method works, just get back into town or a place where you can dump your trash more often. That's the only time this method failed to meet my long-term storage needs.

I have found that woodchips/mulch works great to absorb odors and mess. I have a camping toilet seat designed to fit a 5 gallon bucket and keep another bucket of mulch to cover my waste. I don't bother trying to separate #1 and #2. The bucket is stored with a press on lid when not in use.

I bury the contents weekly at the edge of the woods at my rural base, and hose out the bucket at that time. It goes back where it should how it should IMO, but I understand this method may not work for others due to circumstances/location.

I have an airtight food canister that works for several days of storage. You can get them in the kitchen wares at Walmart. But they still work best with a small amount of some odor absorbing cat litter in the bottom of the canister as well as the bags of poo.

Another small alternative airtight container are the airtight ammo boxes. But the same thing is true you need some odor absorbing material in them or else opening the container releases a very unpleasant to experience smell even if you double bag the poop.