What to do with tuna can juice?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hand full of kitty litter in the can will soak it all up, then just toss in your trash. Get the scented type.

Excellent idea! Funny how often a decent idea is near at hand and gets completely overlooked. I'll feel much more free to eat canned fish now, thanks!

This is a pretty rad thread, with all the ideas.
So, I tried a new product.  Wild Planet's WILD SARDINES in Exra Virgin Olive Oil with Lemon - Lightly Smoked.
Scale free, sustainably caught, in the North Pacific. 4,4 oz
Averages 18g Protein and 1,800mg EPA and DHA Omega 3 per Serving.
From the pkg. Also long shelf life... Best by 07 10 2021
170 calories per serving. total fat 11g, with just 2,5g saturated.

So, These are milder than some I've had, very Good, and fat full length sardines.
No way would I toss out the extra virgin Olive oil full of nutritional residue.
So after dipping pumpernickel bread in the remaining oil, I carefully placed the can into a plastic container a danish once occupied, and refrigerated it..  I shall try mixing it with Tuna tomorrow, and see how it goes.

While you’re deciding what to do with the juice from the can, heat the tuna in olive oil into which you have briefly sautéed several cloves of sliced garlic.

Toss with cooked pasta of choice, 1/2 cup pasta cooking water, a good bit of chopped fresh parsley, a little lemon juice and S&P.

Let stand, covered, a few minutes to absorb liquid and flavors, top with Parmesan cheese and you have a delicious, inexpensive and nutritious meal.

I know this, because I tried it. :)

If max/sophia likes the sardine oil so much, then I guess he/she/they might as well cook that meal with it?

I have several barn cats that will take care of that problem for you.....FREE !

A) Sometimes the fact that folks on this message board can't stay on topic is a pit of a pain... but, in this case, it has proven to be quite entertaining.

B) I eat a lot of tuna because it is cheap and easy. I will not be [font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]sautéing [/font]anything. But you do you.

3) I have been just draining the worst of the juice into my trashcan. I usually try to aim for the soup can that I just put in there seconds before. My trashcan is my former poop bucket, with a Gamma-Seal lid. (It has been fully aired out. It took almowt a year to get the poop smell out.) I just leave the lid loose most of the time so all the baby-wipes and tuna juice can dry out. So far, it hasn't had any odor to it at all. Maybe all the baby-wipes, toothpaste, and Scope mouthwash are counteracting the tuna smell.

IV) I do have some kitty litter, but I haven't seen the need to use any so far.

Five) I am working on "titrating" up on the amount of juice I leave in the tuna before adding it to my soup. Maybe I will eventually get used to just dumping the whole thing in with my soup. We'll see how that goes.

Another tuna juice update:

I have now gotten to where I just dump the whole can in with my soup. So, crisis averted!  :p

For some soup, it just isn't appropriate. Like with clam chowder, I don't want to make it more runny. So I still drain the worst of the tuna juice. Sometimes I dump it into the soup can, in the trash, and just let it dry. The humidity here is close to 0% so it dries fast. Sometimes I dump it on the ground, far enough away from my minivan to not attract bugs. I know someone is gonna find it impossible to resist chastising me for this (mostly because a lot of people seem to get their self-worth from chastising other people). However, I asked a BLM camp host about this. He said that all the BLM really cares about is if what you dump out creates a puddle that will last for a significant period of time, like over an hour or so. If what you are dumping on the ground is not nasty and full of bacteria (like a stanky gray-water tank that has been stewing for a week, or ANYTHING with poop in it) AND is not so much that it makes a huge puddle, then they don't really care.

I don't need additional self worth. But I do appreciate a clean camping spot that doesn't stink of your tuna waste. Drink the water or oil from the can.

Vonbrown said:
Please be careful with the dog licking the inside of can, sharp edges could cut the tongue.

Just saying....

Agree.  I would never do that.

But if you do, I would get one of those openers that takes the lid off the can leaving no sharp edges, rather than using the ordinary type of cutters.

However, I wouldn't want to train a dog to lick out cans.  No good can come of that.

I keep some empty tomato cans for bacon grease and can squeezings. Then I fry up some bread for the beautiful red fox who visits my trailer at night. At first he ran when he saw me watching him from my truck but now he'll take food I toss on the ground for him.

please don't feed wild animals. it usually ends up in a bad situation mostly for the animal. highdesertranger

I cann't tell you the number of times officers are called out to remove animals from house boats and RV's and many times it results in putting the animal down. Unfortunately one of the determining factors is if they run on site and display a fear of humans, ones that don't run usually get put down for fear they will get close enough to humans to injure them even though it may be by accident.

I once had a person tell me the reason I shouldn't feed animals was because they might forget how to feed themselves.

I'm camped in the city so my fox is probably already used to going through people's garbage.

Back to the tuna fish dilemma dumping your dirty water into the bush isn't going to hurt anything.

If you're really that worried about it you probably shouldn't be eating fish in a can. Learn to fish and smoke your catch over a fire.

I opened a can of water packed tuna to make a sandwich for dinner. That brought this thread to my mind, what to do with the tuna juice. So I decided to try draining it into a cup and drinking just as it was right from the can with no other additives at room temperature about 65 degrees.

Wow and yum because it was actually very tasty. Nice and salty with all the great flavor of the tuna without being overly fishy tasting. I recommend you give it a try, just drink it, it has lots of nutrients in it, no point in putting it down the drain or into the trash because it is definetely consumable as a liquid form of nutrition. No wonder the cats and dogs always loved it for a special treat :). I will not be worrying about how to dispose of it.

Be brave little campers, try something new instead of doing what you have always done. Explore your new world with new ways of doing things.

OK, now I'm hungry for tuna and not a single can in the cupboard!

But seriously, some really good tuna is the WildPlanet Skipjack tuna.

It's not a 'mush' or 'slurry' of ground-up tuna meat (about half of which is water or oil)... it's much more 'chunky' in the can, and very flavorful, and almost no 'juice' to get rid of. Skipjack Tuna is younger when caught so it has less mercury in the meat...or...it's supposed to have less, I have no way of measuring it.

Yeah it's more expensive...about twice the price of regular 'baby food' style tuna.

But it sure is good!

when I have liquid that I've drained from any canned foods, I usually pour it into a plastic water/juice bottle that will be discarded...just screw the lid back on and dispose in the trash...

WHEN ADDING TUNA TO MAC-N-CHEESE I JUST PUT THE TUNA WATER INTO THE WATER I COOK THE MACARONI IN.  SAME THING FOR TUNA AND RICE OR TUNA AND NOODLES.  

SOMETIMES I ADD A CAN OF TUNA WITH THE WATER TO A CAN OF CREAM SOUP LIKE CELERY, MUSHROOM, OR CHICKEN.  I LIMIT OTHER LIQUIDS SO THE SOUP & TUNA ARE LIKE A CREAM GRAVY AND POUR IT OVER PLAIN RICE OR TOAST. 

I LIKE THIS BECAUSE IT'S QUICK, HOT AND CAN BE DONE WITH ONE POT IF THE RICE IS COOKED FIRST AND KEPT WARM. I HAVE SEVERAL SIZES OF BOWLS THAT I CAN USE FOR COOKING POT LIDS.  IN THE WINTER I JUST FLIP THE BOWL/LID OVER AND
 EAT MY MEAL FROM IT.  
I LIKE THIS TO REALLY KEEP WARM CHILI OR CANNED TAMALES CUZ I EAT SLOWLY.....MOSTLY ;) 
  DON'T FORGET THE POTHOLDERS  :huh: 

JEWELL ANN + QUEENIE