Safe place to park/job sort of

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headache

Reaction score
After doing this for 5 months I thought I'd share it as an alternative for urban campers who for whatever reason, have to stay urban.

I got stuck originally via medical emergency in a town that is kind of hoity-toity. They have no social safety nets of any permanence and the way this town is they know you're on their streets within the first week of you being here. And for anyone that's ever seen my van I'm not exactly stealthy but since I'm not afraid to be this way, no biggie.

Anyway, at almost a year in to parking in the same industrial area I heard a knock at the drivers window and peared out to see a man standing there in clothes that identified a repair shop down the street. Turns out he was the owner and was having issues with theft and vandalism and since we parked on the street all the time, would I be interested in parking overnight in front of his shop.

Damn straight I was!

We discussed expectations and I'll tell you right now, I'm thrilled. I'm definitely NOT stealthy by any sense of the word so it was going to be really obvious I'm there.

Not one theft or vandalism since we started parking there in early January.

Terms we agreed on:

Parking in the evening usually by 10pm but we've gotten along so well I've occasionally parked there before business was done and he's always been happy to see us. It's a plus I used to wrench so I get the lowdown on the cars he's working on.

I usually leave before business starts each day but once or twice I was kind of late getting up and got invited in for coffee. We've gotten to use the bathroom, microwave and ice maker as well as wash dishes.

We are not to confront perps. He hoped and so far it's working that just our presence would deter maliciousness. We are only to call 911 for law enforcement.

Added and unexpected bonus; I buy the parts and he's been doing repairs on my van free of labor. I didn't ask for that but he was so thrilled to be able to sleep at night that he offered. He's also offered to look for other vehicles, even RVs that might match my price so we aren't so cramped but I don't want to pay for another registration.

It's a win/win. So much so that a shop down the street has a guy in his trailer parked in their parking lot on the weekends now. I think he works at the warehouse next door because he's parked in front of that during the week. Plus my fiance can walk to work.

We're not in a high crime area but the industrial area gets picked on a lot. Now the neighborhood is even quieter. The businesses on each side of him were reserved about it at first but are now happy that if we saw something going on we'd call for them as well.

If you've read this far I'm probably preaching to the choir. I can't express how important it is to be an exceptional neighbor. I've only been accused once of not picking up after my dog so I told the guy to go look at his cameras again and the neighbor businesses as well. Not a peep since. My dog is always leashed, I don't throw trash on the ground and almost every Sat you'll find us at the local RV place dumping the toilet. It's because of this the shop owner approached us. Now we sleep better at night too.

I also did this at a school bus garage several years ago and it worked out great for several months. It never hurts to ask small business owners. I’ve even thought about checking with local independent insurance companies to see if they offered reduced rates to business owners that have someone on property 24/7 or real estate agencies that list empty commercial properties. Having been a garage owner that had a break in on a weekend I would have been more than happy to offer full hookups to someone to watch the place.

I used to own the big "Queen Air" hanger at the local airport. 62'x96'x20'H, loved it! I'd be down there late & a local cop would often be parked there sleeping which was fine by me. One night I rapped on his window & asked if he wanted me to turn the outside light off right where he parked. He said that would be great. Another time at a different airport I saw a guy I knew who was an undercover narc go by in the back seat of a car. I'd taken my young sons with me & was changing oil in the plane. They knew him too so I told them not to look as I knew a drug deal was going down. That airport manager was retired from the state police. My big hanger & the local Armory next door was destroyed by a tornado which is very rare here. Here's a you tube a friend did He bought my 2 small hangers after I built one here on the farm along with 2 runways.
You've got a good thing going that might even be a money making deal!
BTW Phantoms are fully aerobatic @ 9 pos & 6 nrg Gs. Many you tubes showing them doing it.

Last edited:
That's GREAT...........the "Blue Whale" does Street Security !.........say Hi to Michael.......BONUS on the Repairs !
It's been awesome! Street during the day and in the parking in front of his shop at night. We get to park here all day Sunday so it makes for some great gaming time now that we broke down and got Starlink. Michael puts it up on the roof and away we go!

Hopefully we'll be back in AZ to stay by the end of the year but I'm not holding my breath. If we do we'll be moving operations to Yuma to be closer to the VA, base shopping and for me to continue to be monitored on the cancer front. We'll come up/over to visit Pirate Camp and he says hi back!

Rumor has it.............We might spend some time in South AZ this year........AGM

Give Stinky Weiner a scratch for Uncle Doug ! Peace................

After doing this for 5 months I thought I'd share it as an alternative for urban campers who for whatever reason, have to stay urban.

I got stuck originally via medical emergency in a town that is kind of hoity-toity. They have no social safety nets of any permanence and the way this town is they know you're on their streets within the first week of you being here. And for anyone that's ever seen my van I'm not exactly stealthy but since I'm not afraid to be this way, no biggie.

Anyway, at almost a year in to parking in the same industrial area I heard a knock at the drivers window and peared out to see a man standing there in clothes that identified a repair shop down the street. Turns out he was the owner and was having issues with theft and vandalism and since we parked on the street all the time, would I be interested in parking overnight in front of his shop.

Damn straight I was!

We discussed expectations and I'll tell you right now, I'm thrilled. I'm definitely NOT stealthy by any sense of the word so it was going to be really obvious I'm there.

Terms we agreed on:

Parking in the evening usually by 10pm but we've gotten along so well I've occasionally parked there before business was done and he's always been happy to see us. It's a plus I used to wrench so I get the lowdown on the cars he's working on.

I usually leave before business starts each day but once or twice I was kind of late getting up and got invited in for coffee. We've gotten to use the bathroom, microwave and ice maker as well as wash dishes.

We are not to confront perps. He hoped and so far it's working that just our presence would deter maliciousness. We are only to call 911 for law enforcement.

Added and unexpected bonus; I buy the parts and he's been doing repairs on my van free of labor. I didn't ask for that but he was so thrilled to be able to sleep at night that he offered. He's also offered to look for other vehicles, even RVs that might match my price so we aren't so cramped but I don't want to pay for another registration.

It's a win/win. So much so that a shop down the street has a guy in his trailer parked in their parking lot on the weekends now. I think he works at the warehouse next door because he's parked in front of that during the week. Plus my fiance can walk to work.

We're not in a high crime area but the industrial area gets picked on a lot. Now the neighborhood is even quieter. The businesses on each side of him were reserved about it at first but are now happy that if we saw something going on we'd call for them as well.

If you've read this far I'm probably preaching to the choir. I can't express how important it is to be an exceptional neighbor. I've only been accused once of not picking up after my dog so I told the guy to go look at his cameras again and the neighbor businesses as well. Not a peep since. My dog is always leashed, I don't throw trash on the ground and almost every Sat you'll find us at the local RV place dumping the toilet. It's because of this the shop owner approached us. Now we sleep better at night too.
That is so cool and glad its worked out well for you and the business owner. Best of luck

Damn straight I was!

Terms we agreed on:

So glad this has been a win-win for everyone. I wont say my exact location bcuz l need to stay until l have my annual thyroid check up in abt 2 wks
Then lm on my way out of state to visit family. Gas is too expensive to go visit for a few weeks then drive back for the doc appt. l'm in a smaller town but lve been able to park my non discript white cargo van overnight now in the local Walmart for 4 wks. I've seen a few cars, frequent RV's, 18 wheelers, and vans. Everyone is quiet, CLEAN, and appears to go shop in the Walmart. Every night there are a few local teens-early 20's that park way back by us that are staying, and they play loud music, eat fast food and throw their trash out their windows. They usually only stay 30-40 mins. I leave early each morning and go to the local gym to shower and l make sure not to return until eatly evening. B4 l leave l pick up the trash left by the evening visitors. I figure it's a small price to play for Walmarts hospitality. And l want to make sure that those of us parked overnight aren't blamed for a mess.

Damn straight I was!

Terms we agreed on: