My first attempt at van camping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an extra key for like $80.
It is worth it.
I lanyard my keys to my belt and jacket.

Having been the person who showed up in a tow truck and unlocked cars & trucks and having been the person who locked my keys in the truck, (personal truck, not work) I finally swore I would never again lock myself out a vehicle.  Here's how I did it.
Hard rule, no exceptions - know where the keys are before you get out of a car.  Only after you have verified the keys are out of the car, (preferably in your hand, pocket or on to your belt.) can you close the door and lock it.  
Only once have I been in a hurry and slipped up.  It is just one of those things that too many painful learning experiences drove home.  Murphy is always waiting for you to make a fool of yourself, don't give him the satisfaction.  It maybe boring doing it right, one way, over and over, (being a loser can be artistic,) but practicing good habits pays off.   

I have done a lot of desert camping and here's what I know works.
Invest in at least a pair of Kool Wraps or their equivalent.  The sleeves that hold dry gel that absorbs tons of water that you wear around your neck.  I chill one in a container or zip lock bag full of ice water in my cooler and while I wear the other.  The veins and arteries in your neck pass blood between your heart and brain.  Cooling your neck, cools your blood.  In really cold weather the same rule applies, keep your neck warm. Water evaporates rather quick in the desert, not so much in swamp country.  Even in humid weather where evaporation doesn't cool as much, the temperature difference still helps. Kool Wraps can be used over and over, and be washed.  If you need to store them make sure they are completely dry (mildew, yuck).  You can squeeze some of the water out, but it is best to let them drip dry in the sun.  

A kaffiyeh, a desert scarf, is really handy for hot dry weather.  It cast shade, breathes, and can be soaked in water.  It can also keep you warm on a cold desert night.  It can be worn a lot of different ways.  They don't handle rain well, but otherwise they are invaluable.  Since long before biblical times people have used them and the only way I could see to possibly improving them is microfiber.   

I have also found that attaching bandannas to the brim of a wide hat to hang like curtains casting shade helps a lot.  Does it look silly?  Who cares, when comfort is it's own reward.  Make sure you have a hat that breathes, that applies for the rest of your clothes.  In dry heat cover up as much as possible in loose clothing with minimal layers.  In humid weather wear as little as possible.  No matter what exploit any shade and breeze.

If you are in enclosed space make sure to vent hot air up and out as much as bringing cool air in.  There is nothing worse than being trapped inside a solar heated oven.  My travel trailer has a pop up air vent and side windows.  With the awning deployed I have shade on the side exposed to the sun.  I can vent in air through windows and out through the ceiling.  It's not air conditioning, but it takes a lot less amps and can be driven with a very small solar panel.  Bear in mind that your body also releases heat, by both breathing and radiation.  It may make more sense to stay outside in the shade and then adding heat to an enclosed space.   Of course if you have air conditioning all of this is moot.

I have an extra fob, that only unlocks the doors, hidden in a hard to find location on the van. I have locked myself out and the fob saved the day.

Tony's Dream said:
I have an extra fob, that only unlocks the doors, hidden in a hard to find location on the van.  I have locked myself out and the fob saved the day.
That is a good tactic.  Be careful, fobs are dependent on batteries, a key isn't.  The key does not have to start the engine, (Modern keys have internal electronics), just open the door.  A door only key is better, because if a thief finds it they can only get in, not steal the vehicle.

Those are great tips, Scorpion Regent. Thanks!

I gorilla tape a spare key to the back of my license plate. If necessary I can bend up the plate to access the key without tools. Not worried about theft. Nowadays most people don't know how to drive a manual anyway.

hugemoth said:
Not worried about theft. Nowadays most people don't know how to drive a manual anyway.
A clutch as a theft deterrent, who da thunk it? 
 I am trending away from duct tape in favor of gaffers tape.  It maybe harder to find and a bit more money, but coming away clean is a hell of a plus.  I still have duct tape and stainless steel safety wire for semi permanent fixes.

I got a couple small USB fans that fully charged don't last all night on low. Then I got myself one of the $30 Opolar fans that I'd seen mentioned a few times and it only uses about 30% of its charge on low all night long. It's strong too!

edit: I also have a Grand Caravan and I never leave it without the keys in my hand after it locked itself one morning when I was warming it up and had to go back in the house. Luckily I had a spare key inside. I still need to get a hide a key thing.
I got some super strong double-sided tape, a key box, and taped a spare vehicle key on the underside of my vehicle. It's been there for over three years now. I check it about every two months.

Ah, the lockout question again.....

Hide-a-keys are susceptible to someone finding them, and the minimum wage guys at the oil change places can see them, thats why i stopped doing it.

Your main use ignition key shouldnt be on a ring with other keys for several reasons, the first being it can damage the ignition lock with the extra weight, the second, if your vehicle is stolen, they get your house and whatever other keys are on it. Bad idea giving stuff away like that.

Its cheap and simple to just keep a spare key in your pocket at all times. If you dont have your ignition key on a ring it can be on the ring, if youre one of the people that leaves their keys laying about when home, keeping just the spare vehicle key in your pocket is simple and gives you the opportunity to make an escape when Godzilla comes and steps on your house (or earthquake, zombie infestation, sudden appearance of a rattlesnake in the house, whatever) while relaxing and your keys are laying around out of reach when you bolt out the door. Anyway, its a basic security thing, being able to bolt at any moment without hunting down keys laying about, and very simple to address.

The door remote fob in the watch pocket of your jeans or very pocket makes it easy to use without reaching in a pocket or looking at it, and its rarely accidentally hit. its the other backup to not getting locked out.

If only there was some way a person could tell that a dog was hot. Hmm. Let me rack my brain. I think I saw something on the internet once. What was it called? Panning? Pamping? Planting? Grrr. What is that called?
If I understand correctly, you would have a video feed of what's going on. To also monitor the temperature, get one of those large dial thermometers and set it in a place where you see it in the video feed. Then you can see the temperature when you look at the video.

(1) Replace electronic-only locks with locks that allow manual locking, to help prevent lockouts.
(2) If you have a key system that allows electronic locking, remove the batteries from the key to disable the electronic locking capacity.
(3) Get into the habit, if your vehicle lock setup allows this, to never lock the vehicle by pushing down the lock before closing the door, but rather, always lock the door manually with your key. If you develop a strong habit of this it's less likely you will lock yourself out.
(4) Carrying an extra vehicle key on your person is also a good idea.

Oh, I forgot to mention that while sitting on the picnic table reading, a man pulled into my area and as soon as he started to talk to me (he was asking me how to get somewhere), Penelope lunged and barked at him. I told him I didn’t know as I wasn’t from around here.

I’m sure it was all legit, but I couldn’t help thinking that if he had any ideas to circle back at night to assault me, Penelope disabused him of that notion. :) Women and dogs are a natural combination, I think. I couldn’t imagine not having her with me, even though having her limits my ability to stay in the van during jobs if the weather isn’t cooperating. I’ve thought about getting a little 13’ scamp and I could stay at a campground with hookups, so she’d be cool/warm while I’m working.
Good dog.
I always trust my dog's reaction to people. If my dog doesn't trust you, I won't either and I won't stop him if you get pushy. Only have had 1 guy try to push that and he was warned if the dog doesn't get you I will. And no my dog is not friendly 100% of the time.

I don't trust your dog. I walk with a cane because of a broken femur due to a "harmless" dog. I don't know your dog any better than your dog knows me. In case of any doubt I will be safe.

I would think that app would work with a camera in the van, no? Just mount it up by the windshield, viewing the whole length of the van.