Hack for Sprinter Van Key?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebarefootbadger

Reaction score
I finally pulled the plug on trying to do a mini van build and got me a 2003 Sprinter instead. My first issue: it's a Mercedes engine, and Mercedes does not issue key blanks to the hoi polloi, you have to go through a dealership. Pretty funny, it's a $13,000 van.

Anyway, does anyone have experience or suggestions on purchasing a key blank / getting a key made that doesn't cost $$$$? This is a good old fashioned car key, no chip or fob or anything. It should be $5, not $65!

I helped a friend of mine recently after they lost the only key they had for a used Honda. They did have a spare but it didn't have the buttons to lock and unlock the doors and trunk. They bought key blanks from Amazon and after having the keys cut at a locksmith's shop and the transponder reprogrammed they were $140 bucks lighter in the wallet.

Found out that even the spare without buttons has a chip in it. The car has a security function in the computer that identifies any of the 4 keys I'm told Honda allows an owner to have. If the lost one would show up again, it wouldn't have the newly programmed keys codes in them.....and not work.

The new keys were cut to make sure they would operate the ignition lock. If the car was started it would only run for a few seconds and then cut off. (until they were programmed)

The fellow who was doing all of this had a tablet device with and a WIFI connection in the shop. The key was placed in ignition and turned to the on setting where he had only a few seconds to set the code. Once done....he could start the car and it would continue to run.

The equipment used in this is small and expensive. Here is a photo:

Xhorse-Bundle-1.jpg

Blank keys for a Dodge Sprinter 2003:

Blank Key

The spare key for that Honda looked like the one linked to above, but I was told even it had a chip in it. But they were wanting the key fob with the buttons to remotely operate the doors and trunk. Often people hit the lock button on the fob when they walk out of a store like Walmart to help them locate their car on the parking lot.

It might have been easier to get a ride to a Honda dealership if there was one in the town. Taking along ID and the registration of the car that has the Vin on it Plus a photo of the inside of the door jam and of course a drivers license for ID. Then with that proof of ownership they could have had a brand new key made for a lot less money than the locksmith charged. The parts counter at the dealership has a record of the code needed to program the key for that specific vin number. They also have OEM keys. Before I went full time I had extra keys made just in case as sometimes I just misplace one even if it is not truly lost.

While I am not the original owner of my Honda I have been to a couple of dealerships for warranty work and a small wiring repair so I am on record in their system as the current owner.

If you are ever in need of help with a Honda while in Flagstaff AZ I can highly recommend the dealership as being honest and very kind and courteous as well. They do make keys there.

Last edited:
My plain ignition key for a Honda used to cost $150 to have one made at a dealership in 2008 but the prices have now dropped to $35.00 to have it made by the dealership.

Of course dealership prices can often get lowered at the discretion of the manager. It does not hurt to ask for a price reduction especially if they think you are going to become a new customer 😉

If the Sprinter key has no chip, you can buy a blank key on eBay or Amazon at a reasonable price and then take it almost anywhere keys are cut.

You could always buy this:
BANVIE Car Immobilizer Transponder Bypass Module for Chip Key (a Spare chip Key is Required ! only for chip Key, not fit for Other Immobilizer Way) https://a.co/d/gYv3XLD

And then use these:
2 Pack - New Fits 2003 2004 2005 2006 Mercedes Benz/Dodge Sprinter Uncut Ignition/Doors Transponder Chip Key Blanks SP-S15TK1 https://a.co/d/0gkEMfm