Just Got Our Van...Looking For Mechanical Help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerzeleidMeister

Reaction score
We just got our van about 2 weeks ago. Its a 1995 Chevy G30 1 Ton Extended SportVan! We got it for $1300! It runs pretty good but as you can imagine there are a few things that will need to be fixed. 

A bit about our story, this is going to be long...sorry guys & gals. I really have not shared too much on here as of yet about our story, our reasons for choosing to live in a van etc., I had been waiting for us to purchase our van and be well on our way before I shared any of this. 

In 2003 I became disabled and started to get SSDI. Since then, my sister, who has lived with me since June 1999 had 3 strokes total. Two in August of 2006 & one in 2016. She is now also on SSDI because of it. We have both always been wandering types as adults. We have always had an interest in living as easily as possible and doing the RV life. We've planned to have an RV pretty from the moment we became roommates, but the two times we tried we failed and were disappointed. The first instance the dealership told us they would do an even trade for an RV on their lot and we told them the condition of the vehicles we had to trade. When we got there with the vehicles the deal was off. The second instance we actually purchased a 28 foot PaceArrow off craigslist for $4000. It seemed to run fine, the guy said he needed to change the brakes before we took it. He did...badly, and we took it and it only survived for a 3 hour trip before it was toast and we had to scrap it. Looking back I really don't think we could have afforded to do this with an RV anyways. 

Fast forward...the main reason we choose vanlife is because since we are both on disability we do not get much money a month to live off of. We sat down and added together how much money we would need to buy an actual brick & mortar house here in Little Rock, Arkansas. Although houses here are actually pretty cheap compared to other places, we still would not be able to afford to buy one and maintain it at the same time. We have done the "rent to own" thing in the past with 2 mobile homes. The first one we paid off, it was ours free and clear. Then one night around 9PM a drunk driver hit our little house with his huge Dodge Hemi & knocked it off the foundation. He revved his engine and hit the house 3 TIMES! He backed up and just kept on hitting our house until it was knocked off. :((( We were in the house when this happened. When the fire department & police got there the fire marshal declared that the house was not inhabitable and we were instantly homeless right there & then. That is not the only time we've both been homeless, but that is a different story all together. On the second house, the guy had a super amount for us to pay a month and we were supposed to own the house after 3 years and it simply did not happen. We choose vanlife to never be homeless again. We choose it so we could travel and get out and live a little. 

We are currently living in Little Rock, Arkansas in an apartment. Its not the greatest neighborhood, but its what we can afford. Our lease will be up in April 2019 and that is when we plan on leaving & living in the van. At that time we plan on going back to Charleston, SC to be with family while we tweak our build and what have you. We want the van to be able to make it to Charleston & beyond. 

I have some mechanical skill. My father taught me some stuff when I was a teenager, but we never really got along very well. What we need is someone who is willing to help with mechanical work on the van. I do not have a lot of money so I would not be able to pay the standard mechanic's prices. I have no problem in offering a little something for someone to help me fix stuff, but I cannot afford very much. I get $783 a month and my sister gets $860, so we do not have a lot after lights, rent, food etc. I will buy any and all parts that we would need. I also have no problem in helping you with the work. I want to learn how to work on my van as much as possible and would like a mentor as it were. I have bought a Chilton for the van as well.

What We Need:

1. Our van needs the windshield wipers fixed. They just do not work at all. I have changed ALL the fuses in the van and that did not make them start working, so I can only assume that its the windshield wiper motor or pump that is the issue. I will also need to install new windshield wipers, but I think I can handle that one on my own. :)

2. The van needs a new windshield. Its got some pretty sizable cracks that I doubt a repair would work. With the windshield it will need a new window gasket as the one that is in it leaks and some of it has torn off or is brittle. 

3. It needs new U-Joints. Not sure if its the front or rear or both, but it needs them. It jumps and clicks loudly when I put it into gear.

4. It needs shocks and struts. 

5. Not sure why but when I go to start it, its slow to start. I'm not sure if this is a fuel pump/filter, starter, carburetor, or battery issue. 

6. Speaking of the battery...it needs new battery cables the ones that are on it look very sad and frayed LOL. This maybe the problem with number 5 above, I just do not know. 

7. It needs the back doors fixed to where we can actually open them LOL. The mechanism has come undone or something. The button and handle are there but somehow its not connected to allow it to open.

8. It needs 4 new tires as the ones that are on it are really quite worn.

9. It needs any and all leaks assessed and fixed. I'm not sure if the leaks are strictly the front windshield or not. I suspect that the door jams also will need to have the molding glued back in again. I think that is part of the problem with leaks. 

10. The drivers seat needs to be fixed where it will freely move. Currently it does not. Not sure why. Of course, like many people we would love a passenger seat that you can swivel, but that is not a priority on the list.

11. The AC needs to be charged/serviced.

12. The rear AC needs to be removed. Its this big, huge, honking thing in the way of doing a proper build on the drivers side LOL. Incidentally this van has 2 AC'S. We only want to fix the cab one and eliminate the rear one.

13. It needs the bulbs in the dash to be replaced.

14. Strange but it needs the 12 volt put back in. I think a previous owner ripped it out with the ashtray. Don't need the ashtray, but the lighter would be nice to have the 12 volt option in the cab.

15. The van also need the shifter needle to be seen. For some reason its missing and to go from park to drive etc, I have to count and go slowly (Neutral, Reverse, Overdrive etc)

16. It may need a new speed sensor. I lost function in the speed odometer at one point, but it works again now. So this would need to be checked. It happened when I accidentally put it into Overdrive to drive. Apparently the van REALLY dislikes overdrive LOL. While in overdrive it would not go into passing gear. From the research I've done online many people had the same thing happen and it was the speed censor. 

We also need the van looked over by a mechanic to make sure there are no other issues that we just do not know about. Since I live in an apartment the work could not be done here. I can drive and meet you somewhere to work on the van or even assess it. 

Sorry for the super long post everyone. Let me know if you can help.

Attachments

• 20180820_121845.jpg
    20180820_121845.jpg
    645 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180820_121921.jpg
    20180820_121921.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20180820_122108.jpg
    20180820_122108.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180820_122324.jpg
    20180820_122324.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 8
couple of points,

4. no struts only shocks.

12. actually it's only one AC split into 2 outputs. if you remove the rear system it will affect the front system. don't get me wrong you can remove the rear system but it must be done correctly.

highdesertranger

On #4 ok I have not looked yet to see exactly what is there. On #12 this is why I want someone who understands the mechanics of the van. I have no intention of creating bigger problems for myself.

it might be better if you asked your questions one or two at a time as you are working on it for a better response. highdesertranger

Start with the things that will get you safely on the road. Windshield and leaks are maybe last.
windshield. You would be served well with one of the national replacement companies. They would have the parts and new gaskets as well as the expertise and warranty.
tires. That is also a job for a national chain. You will not save very much money buying the tires and trying to get them mounted and balanced. New valve stems.
Some of the mechanical problems can be done in a backyard. The u-joints, wheel-bearings, some suspension parts and brakes are easy enough for someone with a bit of mechanical experience and a general tool kit. I'v done a lot of that on the side of the highway.
Rubber door seals are available and can be replaced. The dash or steering colume is a pain to remove, but may have to be for fixing shift link. The bulbs by someone young and flexible.
Sure wishing you luck with your project. The van doesn't look rusted, and I think the 1990's Chevy are good vehicles.

HerzeleidMeister
Congrats on your new home! I to have older truck that needs work its a 1994 Chevy Suburban 5.7 (350) and can't afford Garage prices I have a few tips
1) Buy a basic tool kit everyone needs one and even if you can't fix something having the tools when your broke down will come in handy if someone stops and can fix but doesn't have His or Her tools
2) Shop online for your parts I use Advance Auto which has a store in my town. If you type in Advance Auto Coupons they uassally have 20-40% off your order "Never Pay Retail" Others here may know other discount parts shops
3) You have a older truck like mine get a Chiltons Repair Guide and order a Owners Manual you should keep those right next to your Bible:)
4) You can Change the Oil and Filter and many other required maintenance jobs. I'm a complete Novice when it comes to mechanics but I've slowly learned a lot by watching Youtube and other venues.
5) Contact a local community College many offer a basic course on maintaining your Vehicle
6) get to know your truck get everything clean in and out including the engine area that's how I started just by getting close to the motor and seeing how things work will help you to understand the basics.
7) Don't get overwhelmed! Make a list and as you cross things off it will motivate you to do more!
8) Post or check out Craigslist many backyard mechanics advertise there also your van motor was popular so may get deal on parts and labor.
9) When you have a problem reach out on the Forum someone will probably have an answer.
10) Ok that just a few of my 2 Bit Advice I have to go now Dinner is Ready!
Peace & Blessings
MikesgonenoMAD

@Weight...

For the windshield I have already planned on getting someone else to pop one in. There is no way I'd be able to do that one myself. :) I have made a list already of local places that replace them here, read reviews etc. So I was actually planning on the windshield first because currently mechanically the van is actually pretty sound. The windshield however is toast LOL. Its got 3 cracks reaching all the way across and the rubber is pretty much rotten. Its leaking really badly when it rains and I want to get the van cleaned up, add some curtains and what have you so that I can put some things that I've bought for on new vanlife journey like the water jug, toilet and so on. I'm not comfortable with people peering into the van where I live. Too many have sticky fingers LOL. So in order to have it sealed properly and be able to get it all cleaned up I need to replace that pretty soon. 

As far as tires go, I already have a couple of places lined up to get rates and take the van to them for that. Again I really would have no ability to do it myself. In order to do it properly there are certain things you have to have. 

As for the mechanical stuff, I plan on doing a lot of it myself, but I have no where to work on it. My apartment complex does not allow anyone to work on their vehicle in the parking lot, so this really limits where I can do this stuff. So, I'm looking to ensure that mechanically it will be ok to get to Charleston, SC which is about 825 miles from me right now. We have family there and we can live in the van in the yard while I fix these things. Plus I will have help from other family members, some willing (dad), some will be volunteered (my sister's son/my nephew lol). 

And it is quite rusted on the inside. I've attached some new pics of the inside. :) Also in those pics you can see the rear AC I want to remove. 

@MikesGonenoMAD

1. Tools is already on my list of "Things to get for van". Along with quite a few other things. I have already made a complete list of the tools I believe I'll need. Let me know if I've left anything out:

Ratchet/Socket Set
Wrench Set
Mallet
Swivel Ratchets
Extensions for ratchets
Long handled screw driver
Titanium drill bits (Already have the cordless drill)
Blue thread locker
Breaker bar
Plier set
Multimeter
PB Blaster
Liquid Wrench
Allen wrench set
Screw Driver Set

2. Already shopping & buying parts online. Also picked up some stuff at AutoZone & Wal-Mart as well. Bought a window handle and replaced it already from a website called CarParts.com. Very good prices and the handle works great. But I shop for the best price for whatever I need. 

3. Already got the Chilton's. That was the first thing I did :)

4. I've also started watching YouTube videos. Found an awesome channel called ChrisFix. He's really great at completely explaining what he's doing and how to do stuff. 

5. Kinda was taught most of this stuff from my father. I do plan on doing some studying though.

6. Cleaning is on the list inside & out. ::) 

7.  I have an extensive list of stuff I want to do mechanically as well as for the build. I'm a super organized list maker type LOL. My sister always makes fun of my "lists". :D

Had not thought about checking craigslist for possible mechanical help. As a last resort, we may just have to move into the van sooner than later to have the money to pay someone for help with stuff. :(

Thanks all for the replies. :)

Attachments

• 20180820_122112.jpg
    20180820_122112.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180820_122148.jpg
    20180820_122148.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180820_122152.jpg
    20180820_122152.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180820_122156.jpg
    20180820_122156.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 10
Actually I had found this YouTube video:  I'll be using this basic idea for my fixing my rust issues. I have also added a primer that should take care of rust and already bought all the stuff & wire drill bits etc to do this. I've just been sick for about 2 1/2 weeks, so just waiting to be healthy enough to get started on it. :)

New guy here! If you are still reading this thread I assume a city that size has a mechanics trade school. If you talk to the instructor some will let students work on vehicles for experience and you pay the parts.
Usually it is cheaper to have a chain replace a windshield than a body shop.
Seems most of your problems are not major so I would hunt around for some mechanic schools in the area, never hurts to ask. I went to trade school here in TN years back and the policy was you had to be a student in that school to get work done.

Good Luck.

The money that you are not paying into rent can go for some repair work.
Everybody knows how to clean a house, but nobody goes around cleaning the houses of strangers for free or on the cheap. People want to be compensated for their time and effort. Let their vehicle need work and then they expect a mechanic to spend hours of their time on their project for free or on the cheap.
Some mechanics do side work. Maybe place an add in your local Craigslist under skilled labor. Auto mechanic needed, willing to pay $x amount per hour.

I have two lists of people. The long list are those that want me to do something for them for free. The short list are those that want to do something for me for free. I can put you at the very top of the short list, (nobody is on it).

If you have a lot of free time you can train yourself to do those types of repairs. One thing at a time. Don't get overwhelmed by the enormity of the task ahead. Love your vehicle to life.

Are we thanking someone that can't give advice to someone who needs us?

Weight said:
Are we thanking someone that can't give advice to someone who needs us?

Or wants to use us. Lets say there is one mechanic for every 400 "tribe " members. That mechanic is supposed to take care of everybody that wants free labor for a pat on the head. What are the other 400 supposed to do in return?  How about you pay for the repair work? You want to be generous with someone else's time and money. Your labor earns you money, so instead of you working on everybody's vehicle, just send them your money instead. When you are done with that, you can come clean my house for free.
I bet that is different. You say you are not responsible for maintaining their vehicle? Well neither is anyone else. People will use and take advantage of you as much as you let them.
My advice was move into the van and spend the money you would have spent on rent to repair the vehicle. After a couple of months they should have a better vehicle.

You, Danny, don't have to help anyone. Just don't click on the posts with questions. Some of us are pleased to be of some help. I always give advice, even though I charge for work I do in the shop.

Lots of people enjoy gardening as a hobby. They give what they grow to most anyone that asks. They enjoy watching people enjoy what they grew, meeting new people and maybe teaching them how to garden. No one expects to recieve fresh vegetables for free from the grocery store and grocery stores don't seem to be concerned about gardeners taking away their business because they provide goods so much more efficiently. As a garage owner/ mechanic I seldom helped anyone out without being paid because all my time was being used working to feed my family. Now that I am retired I occasionally do help people out as a hobby by telling them how to fix their mechanical problems. When it goes beyond their or my physical abilities I tell them to take it to a professional garage. I seldom give advice on how to pay for it because I usually don't get to know them well enough to give good advice. This forum has a lot of really nice people with knowledge willing to share and a few like Jamie at the van builds that are attempting to do work to help. It never hurts to ask especially if your are in need and it keeps us old guys thinking. Thanks for the post. DannyB1954 I got a laugh out of the last lines of your post but now that I'm retired I don't keep lists anymore!

Weight said:
You, Danny, don't have to help anyone. Just don't click on the posts with questions.  Some of us are pleased to be of some help. I always give advice, even though I charge for work I do in the shop.

I did give them advice which you apparently didn't care for. I also explained why I was not going to volunteer. You decided it was your place to criticize my post with sarcasm. I retired as a mechanic and have helped probably hundreds of acquaintances. Do you know how many times I seen these same people helping others? Zero would be pretty close to accurate. The more I know about humans the more I appreciate my dog. How many times does your phone ring with someone that wants to do something for you without getting something in return?
The OP wanted a mechanic and one that would also be their teacher. I believe the job opening is still available if you want to jump on it. You probably could also talk them into living at your shop while you do the work.

Latest posts