Just purchased an odd step-van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISAWHIM

Reaction score
I finally found a vehicle that I want to use as a foundation, though it is not what I honestly wanted, at first. For the ease of comfort and stealth, I wanted to get a 2014 Dodge Ram Promaster. However, I couldn't locate a decent high-top for $15,000.00

Instead, I purchased an oddball step-van, which the VIN says is a "1981 Chevrolet P30 Step-Van", with a 350 chevy engine. The oddity that I am seeing, is that the body has Ford-like shapes, or late-model Chevy shapes.

I will post the pictures, but here is what I am seeing... The design seems to reflect a "1982 Utilimaster" form, except for the mid-support, which the Utilimaster lowered to accommodate "food-trucks service-windows". I can not find a "1981 Utilimaster"... I assume they didn't exist back then.

Image below is NOT mine... It is the 1982 Utilimaster
img_mReJgxpwMjnLEth_r.jpg

What is similar is the angles, curves, side-windows, rectangle doors... Which NONE of the "Chevrolet P30 Step-Van's" seem to have.

The truck is actually an old "JEA", work truck. (Jacksonville Electric Authority) [Our electric and water company, in Jacksonville Florida]

I have a hunch that "Utilimaster", before they had an actual company name, may have made this custom design for JEA. Perhaps gaining enough orders to become a business, or maybe they were just breaking-way into the market. However, for DMV purposes, they simply listed the custom step-van as the "chassis style", that they built the custom body on.

In any event, it seems like a nice vehicle to use as a base for my crazy design. (Crazy by normal people's standards.) I didn't get a real "deal" on the vehicle, but since it was already setup with a layer of new rigid-foam insulation... That was a little bonus for me. I plan to run it until it dies, which may be soon. It says 70,000 miles, but the most it can display is 99,999 miles... so it could be 170,000 or 270,000 or whatever. Though, in the condition it is in, I doubt that it is that bad. I simply looks like a 30+ year old engine. Sounds like one too...

I have not decided what color paint that I want to use, but I do like the silver look. I may use silver, just to sustain the image of a "raw aluminum skin". (To help reduce any oxidizing and plug any micro-holes that may exist, or will exist in the near future.)

I also need to give it a bath... bad... (It was used as a tool-transport on a pig-farm for the past 5 years, so it smells like a pig-farm.)

Honestly, it is more space than I needed, or wanted. But, since I have the space now, I am going to use it.

I need to fit...
- a full shower. (Not a tub)
- an emergency toilet. (I don't expect to use this as my primary toilet)
- my 65" 4K T.V. (Which is actually my computer monitor)
- my two 3D rendering computers (They draw about 1600w each)
- a thin bed/couch (Not planning on having slumber parties)
- a hand-sink
- a coffee-maker
- a microwave
- a small fridge
- a "Tesla Wall", or two (For power storage) [13kwh each, Lithium batts]
- 1500-3000 watts of solar-cells (Double-stacked, one set will move-out to create an awning)
- a mini AC system (With abundant solar going into a peltier-cooler "load", when the batteries are full)
- another inch of insulation, and something for the "interior skin". (Paneling and cloth, maybe)
- Under-floor storage (Or external-access storage, if there is room)

But there is some slight restoration and stripping that has to be done, before any of those things can be done. (I am planning for the worst, but I intend to try and make what is there now, live as long as possible.)

00000_BdL4lWtHKQ_1200x900.jpg

00j0j_lWGzSrGho3B_1200x900.jpg

00f0f_2GrcVjUN81q_1200x900.jpg

00000_gkpwBpJlX2j_1200x900.jpg

01616_6pjSwTNqvDK_1200x900.jpg

Attachments

• 00000_BdL4lWtHKQ_1200x900.jpg
    00000_BdL4lWtHKQ_1200x900.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 00j0j_lWGzSrGho3B_1200x900.jpg
    00j0j_lWGzSrGho3B_1200x900.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 10
  • img_mReJgxpwMjnLEth_r.jpg
    img_mReJgxpwMjnLEth_r.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 00f0f_2GrcVjUN81q_1200x900.jpg
    00f0f_2GrcVjUN81q_1200x900.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 00000_gkpwBpJlX2j_1200x900.jpg
    00000_gkpwBpJlX2j_1200x900.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 01616_6pjSwTNqvDK_1200x900.jpg
    01616_6pjSwTNqvDK_1200x900.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to the CRVL forums ISAWHIM! What a great platform for a build! Please start a build thread in the Conversions and Modifications section when you start on it. :)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums ISAWHIM!  What a great platform for a build! Please start a build thread in the Conversions and Modifications section when you start on it. :)

Will do, thanks.

I am waiting for the DMV to open-up. Title is in my hand, but it is a useless piece of paper, at the moment. Hopefully I will start work on it, on Monday. Well, I will at-least have it here for a full review of what needs to be done.

The hardest thing that I have to build in it, is the shower. It will house the toilet, sink and storage, while not in use. The second hardest thing will be the 65" T.V. screen. It will need a "shock absorber mount", of some kind. (It will get destroyed if hard-mounted, I assume.)

Baby-steps... But fast ones...

How cool! Can't wait to see your build. Are you going to put a "person-door" in it, or just keep it like it is?

Congratulations on your unique purchase!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sounds like a fun project.

If you can get your insurance coverage sorted out the rest is easy. Sourcing coverage on DIY conversions is problematic, but not impossible.

Be careful not to put too much money into it, as liability coverage may be all you can get. Read the fine print on commercial policies as some have a radius limit. I’ve seen it as little as 25 miles from the address on the policy.

Hopefully it doesn’t have a translucent fiberglass roof. If it does, consider reskinning it in aluminum.

Moxadox said:
Are you going to put a "person-door" in it, or just keep it like it is?

No home style doors. It has two decent pocket-doors and the giant roll-up door on the back. For what it is worth, I want it to remain as stealth as possible.

I know, you may say, "Stealth, but it is like trying to hide a gorilla in a field of grass!"...

Around here, step-vans are all over, as well as campers and various other delivery trucks. It will look like some kind of weather-station, or commercial contractors van, when it is sitting parked. I don't want it to look expensive outside, because inside it will have a decent fortune sitting within.

LoupGarou said:
If you can get your insurance coverage sorted out the rest is easy. Sourcing coverage on DIY conversions is problematic, but not impossible.

Be careful not to put too much money into it, as liability coverage may be all you can get. Read the fine print on commercial policies as some have a radius limit. I’ve seen it as little as 25 miles from the address on the policy.

Hopefully it doesn’t have a translucent fiberglass roof. If it does, consider reskinning it in aluminum.

I think it has a solid aluminum roof, but I am not 100% sure. It is already covered in insulation, which I have to remove anyways. Actually, if it is fiberglass, it is a bonus. Epoxy sticks to fiberglass better than metal, for sealing holes. Each of the solar panels are 3.2'x6.5' 360w panels. They will reach completely across the full width of the vehicle, to the rounded edges. They only weight 40-lbs each (only, lol)... Inside would only require a simple 2x4 wall-mounted brace, if any at all. Externally, there will be a full-length rail on both sides, which the cells are mounted to. That would spread any load to nearly 0.01-lb, per square inch, underneath.

As for insurance coverage, like with my drone and other valuables, it will mostly be "personal property coverage". It doesn't matter where the location of the property is, if it is damaged or stolen. It only matters what the value is, and what coverage you want for it. The vehicle, unless I get it "evaluated" (appraised), for a new value, will just be the minimum coverage in an accident.

I don't expect my car insurance to pay for damages to my vehicles or the contents within it, which I caused... I expect YOURS to cover my car, if you hit me...  :p I do not expect anyone's insurance to cover more than minimum liability, for "my life"... I will have enough coverage to cover a "normal car", that I collide with, in the event that I cause an accident, at my low-speed travels. :) Just not your big-screen T.V. and gold-plated compost toilet and kitchen sink, if you have those in your vehicle, when I hit YOU.

My thinking is this... If someone, stupidly, decides to drive a gold-plated million-dollar vehicle on PUBLIC roads, among normal vehicles... They should only expect to get the value of any normal car, from a collision with a normal car. They choose to take that risk, driving around the gold-plated million-dollar vehicle, on a public road. They shouldn't expect the normal people to cover their stupidity. They should have additional personal loss protections or matching finances to cover the risk they are taking, driving in public. (Or lease the vehicle instead of buying it. Which most rich people actually do, for public driven vehicles.)

Honestly, I already assumed that risk. I am comfortable with most losses. I don't "NEED" anything, other than my own health. I have lived with less, honestly. I expect nothing and accept everything. That way, everything I get, and have, is a bonus.

I will have a full alarm system and tracking ability on the vehicle and most individual items of high value, within the "man-cave"... However, it is, for the moment, intending to be a "man-cave". I don't plan on driving this around much, or leaving the immediate area. (Yet) There is still a LOT that has to be done, before I am comfortable taking this 30+ year-old vehicle out on the road to unknown locations.

EG, I'm not selling my hard-top convertible Lexus any time soon... (That is nearly half the van's age, but it doesn't look it.)