Are There Poop Bags That Don’t Absorb The Stank?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentawave

Reaction score
I use these small black Hefty brand trash bags for poop bags because they are inexpensive at Walmart and fit perfectly in my toilet and waste basket. Problem is plastic absorbs smells so if I leave the sealed poop bag in my wastebasket and don’t dispose of the entire trash bag for a day or two it makes the inside of the plastic waste basket smell.

QUESTION: Does anyone KNOW of small durable trash bags (approx 19” tall x 14.5” wide) that will not absorb the poop stank and therefore make my trash can stink - even after a couple days of warm summer weather? Aaargh!?

Thanks!

Yeah, they are called McDonalds' toilets.
When you go get a samitch, unload the one you had yesterday.

I have  not found any brands of kitchen garbage can size bags that are any better at odor control.

Best bet is to store the tied up, filled bags using a gamma, airtight lid on a 5 gallon bucket or one of the gamma seal, dry pet food containers.

If you are in the right location use a shovel and dig a cat hole then put a portable, folding toilet frame over it. You should dig several holes ahead of time. Be prepared :D

Cat holes are fine if they are allowed in your area. Just remember no plastic bags or toilet paper in the cat holes, poop only. Not even so called biodegradable stuff. Highdesertranger

Are you separating feces and urine?  That is the biggest thing you can do to reduce smell.

- Have one or two liner bags inside the bucket in addition to the poop bag.
 - Add a cover scent to the liner bag: cedar chips, scented oils, diaper bucket scented puck . . .
(I use pine needles)
 - Use a metal can to store poop.

I’m in the city and suburbs now so there are no holes to dig. If I was out there away from the masses then digging a little hole would be the plan.

I do separate the pee from the poo. I am trying two bags now. It’s wasteful but if that is the only thing that works then that’s what I’ll have to do.

I’ll keep ya posted on the no stank poop progress….?

I found a few cedar chips like in pet bedding helps absorb moisture and keep the smell down as well but the best solution is to carry it in a container out side or dispose of it immediately. I'm not really worried about someone stealing a bucket of poo off my rear bumper rack! Lol!!!

Just a thought -- I haven't tried them...

Kingsford (the BBQ folks) sell aluminum foil bags, about 10x15" -- the cheapest price is 4 for $7 ($1.75 each) at Tractor Supply (higher at Walmart).

You would think the foil would contain the odor better than plastic. Maybe.

If it does work, maybe make your own from heavy-duty kitchen foil, taped with foil tape ?

I use BOS odor proof bags. Tie a knot and it won’t stink up your area. I buy them on Amazon, they come in many different sizes.